Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Because I failed at making a post in my own thread on plushies, here is my non-plushie related sewing.

Its a bag for my tiny Chinese friend back in Hong Kong. It might be too big for her, but thats what adjustable straps are for! And she told me what dimensions she wanted.

Its got a lot of space (13x12x6), and an inside sleeve. Its kinda cute i think.

I also have never made a bag before, and this was a complete run-through. Its stitching is a bit off in areas, but it looks to be pretty strong. I am going to take it to school and make sure it actually works before I send it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

Finally finished my first non-plush project in a long while.

I made everything from scratch, including the straps.

First time working with vinyl and it was not pleasant. Two broken needles, a do-over, and figuring out how to press a vinyl seam without destroying the thing.

My god that makes me want to go out and buy a surger /right now/. The inside seams on my bag came out so poorly compared to yours ;_;

Awesome job. I want a dinosaur purse now.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pheeets posted:

You did a great job and your niece is adorable. Now I miss my own 2 nieces who I haven't seen in two years (they live far away).

Seriously though, for only your second garment, you did a really good job. My second garment literally fell apart the first time I wore it (on stage of all places).

Thats my biggest fear. I worry constantly that stitches will come undone, or something will happen to the things I make and /I won't be there to fix it/ and then I worry for days and days and days and days and days and I think it might be OCD.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! I'm not actually a sewing-type person, I'm just trying to do this one thing, so I don't have a machine. I am thinking of sewing the cord on and then a leather patch over that. I'd just do this by hand so I think I can just push the needle back up through before it hits the liner? I will need the strongest needle ever to get through leather and wool though.

Use a thimble, please.

I have the most horrible imagery in my head thinking about that.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a sewing machine for beginners? It would be mostly used for making stuffed animals, adjustments to clothing and other small projects like maybe pillowcases. I don't want to spend too much because I'm poor and not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'd like to buy a second-hand machine but am kind of dazzled by all the brands and wildly varying prices... As far as I can see I should be able to pick up something decent enough for my purposes for around 70 dollars, right?

Kenmore Ultrastitch 6.

Edit so I don't get banned: It was "baby's first sewing machine" about 20 or 30 years ago, so you can find them second-hand anywhere. They have pretty much all the basic functionality you'll need, and are really easy to take apart and maintain yourself.

I also have one, so I am biased.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 10, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I found three for sale on Kijiji in my area, but maybe thats because its North America. I dunno if they even sold much overseas.

Good luck though! I hope you find a good one =P

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Vulvarine posted:

I read the thread, maybe I missed it, but what do y'all use for pattern paper? I need cheap options.

I use cardboard cutouts for making bags and toys, because I reuse them over and over again.

I draw on the fabric using one of those disappearing fabric markers.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I made a dress!

Looks good!

Before reading what the images on it were, I thought it was covered in tons of pockets.

I can't be the only one =P

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Cerri posted:

I've decreed I can sew no more till I get all my craft/sewing poo poo organized. To that end, I've been working on a wall unit to hold all my sewing/crafting stuff. I'm looking for more creative organization ideas than "put poo poo in boxes on shelves".

How do you guys keep your stuff wrangled, to prevent it taking over the house like mine currently is?

I... umm. I pile it on the floor.

Just like, everywhere.

Or I hide it in tubs and put those in corners where no-one can see it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Brigg posted:

Just noticed this thread, guess I'm one of the few men who like to sew.
I dont make shirts or pants or anything though, I make flak jackets and body armor. This one is an old retro styled one.

I do occasional pieces for the local Police departments as well.

Im hoping to get some more work from them soon.

Thats actually really neat! The manliest sewing. How did you get into that line of work?

And as for other men sewing, I think we all hang out in the stuffed animal sewing thread.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'm not sure anyone is familiar with making mascot-esque costumes? I'm trying to figure out how to secure foam inserts for my project, and am not sure of where to go looking for a guide on the subject.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

I'd take a safe bet that most furry websites would have information on this stuff. Just go in, get your stuff, and leave.

Don't look anyone in the eyes.

Thats what I was hoping to avoid.

I guess I'll burn my cache on the way out.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Made a deer-hood-thing for a party I'm going to. The theme was "Aliens/Predators/Prey". So. Deer! I couldn't think of anything else to do.

I've still got to add a zipper to the front, so it snugs up more closely, but other than that its done at the moment. Its also ridiculously warm.

I attached it to an old shirt that I had, so it only works really well if you wear it with a sweater or something. Winter only (which is fine, because we're still getting snow in Alberta).

Put it together in about 3 hours or so, including planning. I think. Everything after midnight is kind of a blur.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Definitely mistook those for being baller ties at the first look. Looks great though; I can't wait to see the finished product!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Prune Juice posted:

This thread is so amazing. I just purchased my first sewing machine (I've only taken 2 measly classes so I am a beginner at this)and I was wondering where do you guys get your metal bobbins, thread, and other sewing supplies from? There aren't any sewing stores where I live so I have to rely on online resources. Thanks in advance.

Wal-Mart actually isn't that bad for it. Mine (town of 18,000) has a good craft section, great selection of thread and generic supplies. Not much in the fabric department though!