Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Micomicona posted:

oh my goshhh beautiful!

Thanks. I didn't get a picture of it after sewing on the trim at the neck so hopefully my client sends me one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My list-
Prince, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu(kid),Sock Monkey(toddler),PeeWee(toddler),NHL Ice Girl,Dragon, Miss Yvonne,Totoro,Renaissance princess (the red dress), Black Cat(kid), Blue pixilated khakis

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Princess Tutu posted:

I... made a moogle suit for my toddler.

Are you a professional seamstress, Funhilde? Because I struggle to get a few projects done a year, let alone all that in one season.

Yeah I'm a costume maker/seamstress

https://www.sewsmooth.net

Or
https://www.facebook.com/SewSmooth

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
If you have a local machine dealer that sells Juki, Pfaff, Janome or Bernina I would take her there and get a machine. Many offer extra classes and service plans on the machines that are very helpful.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Tres Burritos posted:

On a scale from 0 to impossible, how hard would it be for someone who sewed once in gradeschool to make a hoodie? Do you start with a pillowcase first and then work your way up or something? I really kinda want to make a fancy hoodie.

Sewing with knits can be a bit intimidating but something with less stretch may be a fine place to start for a hoody. I'd say start with a pillowcase first though.
something like this would probably be easy.
http://www.simplicity.com/new-look-pattern-6142-misses-mens-separates/6142.html#sz=30&start=33

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fart simpson posted:

I'm trying to sew something with a pretty stretch knit for the first time and it's really frustrating so far :sweatdrop:

Walking feet are great, Making sure you have the right needle and the zig zag or stretch stitch will be your friend. Also For hems or what not the washaway hem tape is awesome. I have been sewing stretch stuff more often this year and I had to get a new serger and learn how to use that properly. Such a pain.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fart simpson posted:

Yeah but I'm finding sometimes the zig zag isn't working? Like I can see the needle moving side to side but then when I'm done with the stitch there are patches of straight stitch somehow

What needle are you using?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I use something underneath it and a piece of 100% cotton. A pillowcase should be fine- may be easier than a towel.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
When dealing with machine problems it is usually a tension or needle problem.
If both tensions are fine then I switch out the needle. Making sure you have the right needle for the project ends up being very important.
I also switch out the thread- thread can get bad if it's been sitting around for years.
If I'm still having issues than I assume it's the timing and take it to the repair shop because I'm not technically inclined and need my machines to work.

For any new sewers I suggest checking out classes on Craftsy or finding a sewing blogger that does the kind of thing you want to do.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Sewing up some matching Pajamas for Christmas.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm not going to be on the forums much anymore but I do have instagram/Facebook etc
https://www.instagram.com/funhilde/

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

kernel panic posted:

I'm looking to buy my first serger, and I'm interested in either the Brother 1034d or Janome MOD 8933. It's easy to find reviews of the former but not so much the latter - does anyone happen to have experience with it to share?

I got the Juki MO-50e and it is about the same price point as the Brother. I really like it so far. I got it as a back up to my pfaff coverlock and I am now not using the other machine at all until I can figure out how to actually coverlock with it.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Boz0r posted:

My girlfriend is looking for an overlocker machine. Not too expensive, but not poo poo. What should she get?

Brother 1034 or Juki MO-50e

I have the Juki and its a pretty good machine.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

legendof posted:

I have a serger (the brother 1034d that everyone has) that's worth probably about $100. I tried to serge faux fur and broke a needle. When this happened, I also managed to mess up the timing somehow - it makes a metal on metal grinding noise, I think the upper looper is hitting something. Unfortunately, I can't find a place locally that does serger repairs for less than $120, usually much more. Is there anything I can do? It's not under warranty.

You may try to join the 1034d facebook group and see if there is any help. You aren't likely to get a repair for less than $120

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

there wolf posted:

Looks good. Indulging in silly clothing is one of home-sewings great pleasures.

Yeah. Most of what I sew for myself ends up being silly.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah I'm totally loving the custom undergarments. I have had some ideas but my Spandex sewing skills are still very lacking.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

It's really not difficult to work with I think just very different! I use a combo of Pellon 542, EZ Steam and spray adhesive to keep everything together and stable...I'm hoping soon to do some video tutorials on it, I finally got a camera capable of video.

Nice I look forward to that. I think it is a manner of patience. I have that Kane costume underway and I really need to finish it.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

nesbit37 posted:

There is a fabric pattern that I really like that is up for preorder until 5/20 (for the curious: https://knitoriousfabric.com/collections/products ). I really want to just make a men's t-shirt with this stuff, but am surprisingly having difficulty finding a pattern for one that doesn't do something weird like add pockets to it. Anyone have a good, pretty basic, t-shirt pattern they can recommend? These patterns are fairly expensive so I need to make sure I lock down how much fabric I need before I put the order in since its too much just buy an extra yard and hope its ok.

If you join the Love Notions Pattern FB group you can get a free code for a women's tshirt pattern.
https://www.lovenotions.com/product/laundry-day-tee-xs-xxxl

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

These are slightly less nsfw so hopefully it's ok to just post them inline...after seeing a lot of cosplayers struggle with really improbably thigh high designs, I decided to put my mind to making a one-piece legging with a mesh top that would give the *illusion* of a thigh high without any of the struggle of them falling down/cutting in. The art nouveau style garter and matching velvet underwear was just for fun, this was mostly a "proof of concept" to drum up commissions.

I really need to come up with something to commission you to do.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Sockser posted:

I’m looking to make a bumper that’s going to run along the edge of a rounded table, got me some vinyl on the cheap (only $4/yd, minus the end of bolt discount!)

I think I want some sort of D shape, so I’d cut on piece to the height that I want this thing to be, and then another piece oversized by like two inches, and then that should be that, right?

Something like this:

And then stuff it with some foam and regular stuffing and I’m probably going to brace the back with some aluminum bars vertically or something, not really too critical, just trying to establish if this is the way to get the shape I want, or is this just going to turn into a circular tube with dumb seam lines? How do I get the shape I want here?

I'd suggest getting some foam that already curves and do some draping to see what the best shape to make would be. You can get different styles usually sold as baby safety items.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

Get them Schmetz for cheap from Wawak. Actually buy all your thread, elastic and notions from Wawak.

**not sponsored by Wawak they just rule and are far cheaper than normal sewing supply places.

Yeah. I don't know what took me so long to figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Cowwan posted:

Status update:
•Sewing has finally occurred
•Pants have been poorly hemmed
•Side cover is still broken
•I underestimated how hard it is to feed a pant leg into a sewing machine straight
•The machine works great but the thread seems to bind sometimes, I imagine it's a tension issue

Thanks for the help getting this up and running. Now I need to move on to the "learn how to sew" stage of this endeavor.

There are guides you can use to keep the edge of the fabric in a solid line.