Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Verimus posted:

I've been apprenticed (sort of) to a tailor for about six months, and we finished this waiscoat the other day. The fabric is just something he had lying around and I wouldn't have necessarily chosen it myself, but it's grown on me. The photo is a little blurry, because the 74 year old tailor hasn't had much practice taking photos with smartphones, but I don't mind that you can make out my rubbish buttonholes. It is a shame you can't see the topstitching though.

The garment was made mostly by hand, from a pattern drafted from my measurements directly onto the fabric. It's such a satisfying thing to have finished, but at the same time I can see a bunch of things to improve on. It's not quite as tight as it looks here, but I did mess up the side seams a little. It's fully lined, and the back is made of lining with no belt or darts. I'm interested in any notes you might have on fit/shape. It might be next year before I start another vest (Starting my first jacket soon, so pumped), but I'll keep any critiques in mind.

CONGRATS! menswear is crazy hard. it's tight on the hips and a bit too loose under the arms, which is what's giving your model the look of a big tummy. don't underestimate the value of a sturdy back when it comes to vests, the darts are very important for fit. imo your big problem here is underarm fit, i think you could widen the shoulder seams and recut the underarms, while widening the hip. proper darting in the back is needed, but drafting a pattern from measurements can only go so far, fitting on the bloke is aloways going to be the definitive thing in men's tailoring. which is why i don't make stuff for men unless i love them, haha

Koivunen posted:

Urgent Halloween question: I made a dress out of tulle strips and the static electricity is insane. In retrospect I should have chosen a different fabric but I was just following the DIY instructions! What's the best way to reduce static electricity in tulle?

spritz some water on the fabric and run your hand over it while you're wearing it, that should remove the static. if the static is sticking the fabric to your legs, wet your hands and flip the skirt up while you're wearing it like you're flashing. a cotton petticoat will help avoid static cling to your legs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU