Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm reposting this from the cosplay thread. Hopefully I can get something here:

This November is the latest Wasteland airsoft game. It's held every year in Ocala, FL by Mindgame Productions and is basically a roleplay-heavy airsoft game set in the Fallout universe. They encourage players to dress up in their best post-apocalyptic gear (though some guys are lame and just come in their regular airsoft gear), and this year they're going further by giving credits toward in-game upgrades (like unlocking power armor and magazines for your fully automatic weapons) for creating good costumes.

I have a Swiss M32 canteen and cup that I want to carry, because it looks very post-apocalyptic with its beaten up metal and flaking paint. Unfortunately, the Swiss meant for their canteens to be carried in their soldiers' breadbags and thus they never made a belt carrying pouch for them. I'd greatly prefer a belt pouch, and I figure there's no time like the present to learn to sew. I should preface this by stating that I have basically zero sewing knowledge whatsoever, hence why I chose something easy like this.

The idea I had for a pouch is based on the Soviet flyashka canteen pouch that's been in use since before World War II. It's a simple cotton pouch shaped to fit the canteen, with the belt loop formed from a strap that attaches at two points on the back of the pouch. The strap also comes up over the neck of the canteen and optionally fits to a button on the front to secure it. I want to make a pouch similar in style, but shaped for the M32.

I don't need it to be fancy or look perfectly factory-stitched (it's a post-apocalyptic thing, after all), so it just needs to securely hold the canteen with the strap around the neck and have a belt loop at the back. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for what material I could use? I think the actual Soviet canteen pouches are made from cotton duck.

In case it helps, measurements taken from the internet give it as 6 inches tall, 3 1/4 inches across, and 2 1/8 inches front to back. The cup's measurements don't really matter, as the canteen is meant to nest in the cup and the whole thing put into the pouch.

In terms of available materials, I'd have to ask my brother. He's a cosplayer with a large complement of sewing supplies, including a sewing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks a bunch! When I've got a free weekend, I'll use your guide and see if I can make a nice little pouch like that. I think I'll also do the Soviet flyashka style and have the belt loop basically be a single strip of fabric, looping around the top and down so both ends connect parallel or crossing over in a figure-eight. This gives me a loop at the top to pull over the neck of the canteen and keep it secure.

The canteen does fit a little loosely in a Soviet pouch, but I think it's much more rewarding and unique if I make a custom carrier shaped to it. The actual Soviet canteen carrier is made of what looks like cotton canvas slightly below denim in toughness.