Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Goldaline, your poo poo rocks, I like the tunnel dress.

I have a question about embroidery.. how hard is it to transfer a really random asymmetrical image into an embroidered one on a sweater? Are there online tutorials to learning embroidery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Goldaline posted:

And for embroidery, I've always found tracing paper is amazing. Trace your pattern, tape the tracing paper to the fabric, and stitch through both it and the fabric. Then tear away the tracing paper. Woo.
Are there any websites that have a good description for step by step embroidery for idiots? I want to embroider a metal band logo on one of my sweaters and I have never embroidered, although I'm pretty handy with sewing and can crochet. I don't know how the stitching/patterning works (unless its just "COVER THE LINES WITH LOOPS OF THREAD!")

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldaline, your poo poo is ridiculous, do you have an online portfolio to look through? Very awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldaline, you're probably super busy with work but would you consider doing custom work?

edit, if curious email mattus at gmail

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 9, 2008

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Rich those jeans are fantastic, you thinking of doing any other denim work?

Goldaline your experiments are always really cool, like the french military sweaterpants

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Cross, my old boss used to work in soft goods/bag manufacturing and used *I THINK* solidworks or rhino to unfold 3d patterns into 2d.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Is there a tutorial online that demonstrates how weird sewing feet work? The bernina I inherited has a ton of feet that came with it and the manual I found for it online is really tiny, pixelated and unhelpful.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

These would be original with the machine which is 60's. Is Threads available online?

edit- preferably looking for online tutorials as I'm broke getting woodturning supplies..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Wow, meche, beautiful!

Question about POWAH.. my bernina is fine for most tailoring jobs on a pair of jeans except when I'm doing cuffs and hit the area where its a seam double onto itself so theres who knows.. 6? 8 layers of denim? It won't always punch through. Do I just need a high power machine or should I go slow, change needle, etc?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

A few weeks ago I got a Singer Merrittlock 14u44 serger at a garage sale for :10bux:. I was so excited I didn't check it out enough and when I did, it looked like there was some rust, so I sadly brought it into the singer distributor in Chicago who is actually really cool. 50$ basic maintenance later I had a bunch of new needles, new lower knife, a pedal control (didnt come w/) and a working machine!

I got this because I want to alter a bunch of old punk/hardcore/psych band tshirts I've collected that don't fit me, but the stitches are driving me a little crazy. I practiced on a throwaway and came really close, then did a pretty good job on my first one. My problem is doing the hems, I think the stitch I see on all my tshirts is done on a machine I don't have, I thought a serger covered it all but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I can get close, and it works, I just was hoping to copy whatever was on my commercial shirts. I know thats a bit short sighted.

Are there any good projects to do on a serger for dudes? I am a total sewing novice. I'd like to do short sleeve button ups and dress shirts eventually but I don't think I'm there. I should probably take lessons, the Singer place has em but they're mostly quilting.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Found it. I need a "coverhem" machine or a serger that does coverhem. Doh. Totally different than serger.

Ended up using the serger to accomplish what I wanted, sort of a fake coverhem

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 2, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Anyone take (or know of people who take) commissions to replicate a piece? I have a Uniqlo japan only collaboration piece that is awesome, but I want a copy of it in this high tech sail cloth I have a bunch of. There are a few details that aren't necessary to copy or would be impossible without the machines, but the basic form/collar/sleeves/cuffs definitely.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldaline posted:

Madlilnerd--Great quilt! It reminds of me of traditional japanese indigo quilts. I bet it's super heavy and cozy too.

I've been busy teaching a highschool experimental costume class, but I've manage to work on a few things.

My colorwash Irish Chain quilt is growing! I don't think I quite realized how big it was going to be though. No clue how I'm going to lay it out to baste it.

I did a quick Hawaiian-sort of shirt in white broad cloth to show my students how to ice dye. I know the hem's a little wonky, that's what I get for slapping it together in a few hours. But it was neat to dye it in class then wear it to the next session.

And my Braid-coat is now sort of looking recognizable. The mid-point of the long strips is basically the shoulder seam. The end of the short strips between them is the neck line. It's like a big vest laid flat with the side seams open. Can't wait to start putting it together, just 5 strips left.

Awesome stuff as usual. Where would I get started making shirts like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldaline posted:

I'm a big cheapo so I just trace off things I own that I like the fit of. This was pretty much unmodified from a sweet Liz Clairborne hawaiian shirt I have from the 90's.
I'm still a total novice but I try to copy things I see. I don't know how to do shirt construction, even though I'm sure its simple, so I don't know how to copy patterns from things I own although I'd love to copy a few specific cuts. Any video/youtube or websites you know that show this sort of thing well?