Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Hi all, I'm working on a simple dress, but I'm having issues with the final part. I'm trying to gather the skirt, rather than pleat it, but I'm lost as to how I should go about it. I've practiced the gather setting on my machine, but everytime I gather, it just doesn't work right. Any tips?

e: also, how can I sew the gathered fabric to something else, without using the foot? It goes all over the place when I don't use it. :(

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

boscokitty posted:

I wish that were big enough to make my wallpaper, because I would. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

RichBomb posted:

Just finished these.

They look awesome! (how about that motorcycle pant hanger :cool:)

I'm jealous of everyone's sewing prowess; all I'm working on atm is a stiff- sided knitting bag lol.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

madlilnerd posted:

Oh... god... Is that real hair? I feel itchy just looking at it.

weave is generally not real hair

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
What sort of boning are you using in there?

How hard is it to work with those metal hole thingies (and what are they called :/ )?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Awesome! Thanks for the links, I've got this thought rolling around in the back of my head that I could make my own corset, something a little more traditional than today's popular models. ;)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Does anyone have any tips for sewing chiffon? I've never really used it before, but it looks like it pulls easy. :/

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I made this bag just off the top of my head, using 5 pieces. Seems to work well, it isn't perfect (I didn't have the right needle so the webbing was almost too thick), I put a reinforcement in the bottom just like the grocery bags you buy at publix. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
That hat is amazing if you don't win I'll be very sad

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Cross_ posted:

Just a quick heads-up: Wal-Mart is apparently closing down their fabric sections. Several stores have 50% off sales, even on bargain bin items. I ended up with 5 yards of awesome fabric for $4.00 :)

This happened at my local walmart like months ago. They made it into a "scrapbook" area :cry:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
IT Crowd in the background, nice! (oh and also zomg that quilt is awesome)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Without seeing the pattern, I would logically assume the white is sewn over the yellow, rather than cut. Unless the pattern also gives you seam allowances (or factors those in based on the cut/sew lines), there'd be no room for error. Also, why would they make you cut out a bear-shaped yellow piece only to make you cut out the white belly part, instead of just telling you to cut out the yellow bear minus the belly in the first place? Does that make sense? I just woke up :P

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I hear they're all the rage in Edinburgh :coal:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Anyone have tips for sewing spandex? Halloween time means superhero costumes :3

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Should I be using a ball-point needle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I have to ask, did he wear the rubber mask? My boyfriend did that, and the marks it left on his face were pretty comical.

Great looking jacket!