Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Newbie quilter here, and my first finished black and white quilt top:

It's actually upside down in this pic I just noticed, but never mind. Still to go is a red border, followed by black border and binding. Woot!

I have to say, I'm addicted. I have three in cutting phase as we speak. Actually I think I just love having justification for buying all these gorgeous fabrics I keep seeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

boscokitty posted:

Anyway, I typed too much, but what I'm getting at is a) your quilt looks great and b) help me I'm becoming addicted.

Thanks! I went with the black and white so I didn't have to worry about colour for my first one, but ended up really glad I did.

How did you find the classes? I'm debating signing up for some myself, I just kind of did what I thought was right to make this one, but I think I need some help with the binding etc.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Not as impressive as the bear! But I've been practicing my sewing skills on poor defenseless animals before diving into anything more exciting.

Daisy the elephant - I hope you can't see, but I totally rooted her foot :rolleyes:

Blossom the bunny. I loved the fabric on her belly. In fact, sewing toys is really just a ruse so I have an excuse to buy gorgeous fabric :)

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I finally have pics of my first completed quilt. Sewn by me, quilted professionally. I love the japanese fabrics.

I haven't got the binding on here, but you get the idea. I've since bought myself a sexy new sewing machine, with which I would consider entering a monogamous life-time partnership. Hopefully it'll also let me quilt my own creations once I've practiced (..and practiced, and practiced).

Any other quilters out there? I've just had a hand quilting lesson, so am eager to try this out on a project. I love the simple/naive look of the hand quilting.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Sorry yes, I pieced the quilt, and had it professionally quilted.

handbags at dawn posted:

What are you binding that quilt in, because a red would look really nice.

I ended up backing and binding it in the plain blue fabric that makes up one of the smallest patches in the quilt. The backing is plain, but it's shot cotton - so you get the nice effect of the greens and blues showing up with the tight quilting. Hand sewing the binding was so satisfying, the difference is amazing - it goes from pretty scruffy looking to neat and finished really quickly!

I'm jealous of you small stitches! Mine are giant and ugly at the moment, so I need to get some serious practice time in. I love that sample you posted, is that yours? Lovely fabrics.

That's why I started quilting actually, to used up the fabric I love and buy for no real reason, other than it's gorgeous!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I like! The combination of solids/patterns and colours looks great. Those small pieces must be a huge challenge!

Is that a quilt rack that quilt is hanging on? Or something you made yourself? it looks useful!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Ah, that doesn't sound too bad - great effect.

I got a Janome 6600 - not a professional one, but good enough for me! I got a good deal on it because I bought it at a craft show. I did have a tiny little Brother which did me well, but I couldn't do any quilting on it. The new one is massive and metal! I was surprised how heavy (and big!) it was.

I agree, it's a disease. My mum suggested I should make quilts to use my piles of fabric, and I've just kept going! She's created a monster.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

It did. and I didn't use it straight away, but now I can't live without it! That's awesome you get to play with machines! I'd love to give a longarm a go - they look scary, but a lot of fun.

Can I ask, am I the only one who has to have multiple quilts on the go, or else I get bored????

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Congrats on the new machines, they sound awesome. I couldn't get used to the electronic scissors for a while - instead of pulling the work from under the needle and using scissors to cut the thread, you just press a button. Truly mindblowing.

That's sweet you get lessons too - happy sewing!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

I like making quilt blocks, but I hate all that cutting out- I measure and use scissors and end up spending 45mins cutting and then 10mins actually sewing. Are there any shops that sell it all cut out ready for you to piece? Or is there any other way I can reduce the cutting time?

Seconding the rotary cutter. A sharp rotary cutter, largish cutting mat and a nice sturdy quilting ruler will save you lots of time. Depending on what kinds of quilts you want to make, you can buy charm squares, jelly rolls and layer cakes - which are basically bundles of pre-cut fabric (i.e charms squares are generally 5" squares but can be between 1" and 10", jelly rolls are 2.5" x 44" strips etc.).

You can sew them together as they are, or cut them further depending on what you want to do.

Having said that, quilting is just a time consuming sport. You need patience, patience and more patience. Cutting does take time, and boy is it worth spending the time to get things to fit/line up. I learned that the hard way!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

seriouslywtf posted:

The tulip dress is still in progress so I haven't been able to wear it yet, but I wore the skirt last week

That skirt looks great on you! Love that green. Would love to see the dress on too, once it's done.

...if that's not too creepy.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I've made some softies and stuffed animals. I'm no expert but I'm happy to help if I can - so if you have any questions post away.

I have bought a few simple books for inspiration, but there are plenty of free patterns online, Crafster is a good place to look.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Just got back from Japan and did some serious fabric shopping while I was there - it was heaven!

Made a bag so far:

Please excuse the lack of ironing! And I have so many things planned, I just don't know where to start.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

So I bought this book, and enjoyed it so much, I decided to take an improv quilt class. And enjoyed that so much, I made this:

It was a joy from start to finish - no matching seams, no rulers, no measurements, I enjoyed the hand quilting, which I hadn't done before, and even the binding!

Love those curves.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

ta!

I'm by no means an expert, but I found a denim needle helped - sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but I'm the kind of person who goes "what? a special needle, I think not!" and is always surprised when the proper tools actually do make things much easier.

Sorry, that's the limit of my knowledge regarding denim. But am planning a denim quilt, so would be interested in any other wisdom?

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

quote:

Valdara posted:

My soon-to-be-mother-in-law knows that I sew and gave me an old piece of fabric that she had for me to make something awesome out of it. It is a beautiful, 8'x10' piece of linen with a circle motif centered on it. The problem is that I don't want to cut it up senselessly or waste any of the beautiful pattern. It's not repeating, just one big panel. The only things I can think of are table cloth or wall-hanging, and neither are particularly appealing.

Here is a picture of it draped over my crafting table. Any thoughts on what I could possibly make from it?

A skirt would be lovely - but as I'm obsessed with them I have to suggest a quilt. A wholecloth quilt would be stunning - just layer that up with some batting and a backing and either hand or machine quilt it!

Then again I do have problems cutting up some of the more precious pieces of fabric I own.

clarion ravenwood fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 23, 2012

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That last one is great for me because my aunt just sent me a huge bag full of sizable denim scraps (mostly chopped off pant legs). I think I might make a blanket.

I have bags of jeans also! I'm itching to turn them into a quilt. I have the denim needle ready and all.

Have been working on the below instead though:

So many quilts, so little time.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Thanks guys! Quilts are my favorite.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Goldaline posted:

Ahh! I love the bottom one--I think gray is under utilized in quilts! I guess I should update ya'll on the Dear Jane Quilt From Hell.

Thanks! I LOVE your dear jane! I often don't like them because so many of them are so....well, brown! Yours pops, it's great.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you do this, I recommend sewing a straight line down just inside the zipper, so it doesn't come open and dump all your stuff.

Thanks for the tip - I think I'm aiming for a quilt, but it'd be nice to do something smaller. I'm obsessed with quilts, but they are an investment in time!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

HodjasBitch posted:

Meanwhile, there are 360 triangles cut out and stacked on my table. My mother's birthday is July 9th, and I'm making it very difficult for myself to finish an 80 x 90 pyramid quilt on time with my shenanigans. I made this silly poo poo, though.

I love pyramid quilts, well any one patches really. Would love to see it. Love the one with the elephant back, the fabric line is great - the backing looks a bit Dr Seuss-ish.

I do sometimes wish I picked a craft which is a bit quicker...but then I just keep making them.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

HodjasBitch posted:

Okay, here's my huge progress shot. :blush:

Yeah, I've been raiding Moda Bakeshop for patterns. I designed a bunch of quilts last year for my seven nieces and nephews, and I'm sending my brain on a vacation for a little while.

e:Oh, the fabric line for this one and the elephant backed one are both Simple Marks by Malka Dubrawsky. The darker ones are from last year, the brights are this summer's line. The elephants are a flannel I got on clearance at Connecting Threads. I thought about using them to back a jelly roll race quilt top I have here that's done in Lorax fabric, but I can't mix Seuss books because I'm an rear end in a top hat. I'll never do another JRR top if I can help it. One long seam is booooorrrring.

e2:There's also a batik mixed with the Simple Marks in this pile of triangles.

I love that Simple Marks line! And that quilt is going to love fabulous when it's done - love those colours against the grey!

HodjasBitch posted:

Are these blocks about 25"? This one reminds me of the big star quilt tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I love that your stars are scrappy, though.

The blocks are about 23" - good guess! I cut blocks the width of my ruler and made HSTs out of the cross cut squares! I loved this fabric line, so I was happy to use it like this, scrap quilts are my favourite.

Goldfinch posted:

I've got a question after seeing all these cool quilts. I made one super-beginner quilt top - like, it's literally just squares of fabric sewn together. But I'd still like to finish it/get it finished so I can feel that warm glow of having accomplished something.

How many of you finish your quilts yourselves? If so, how do you do it? At first, I was thinking it would be easiest to take it to one of those places with a long-arm machine to have it finished, but... it turns out that's around $100. I feel like that'd be worth it for a nice quilt, but not my Baby's First Blocks (aka Proof I Can Sew In A Straight Line) thing.

I do both - I've had some professionally quilted (the gray star one is longarmed), but I've also quilted one myself on my own domestic machine - straight lines only at the moment, I haven't graduated to free motion yet!For me I don't really enjoy the quilting itself that much - I super enjoy playing with colours and shapes and making the top. I also hand quilt (The orange/pink one in my post is hand quilted). It takes ages, but I find it relaxing, and just do bits when I'm in front of the TV.

So how you get it quilted really depends on how soon you need it done, and preference really. Machine quilting (depending on how dense you do the quilting) can give the quilt more body (make it firmer?) whereas I find hand quilting is a little softer.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

HodjasBitch posted:

I don't, yet. I have a picture of the first star I pieced, but my apartment is too small and full of furniture and crap to actually lay the whole thing out. (I lack the energy too, I had infusion therapy that left me a little bleh today.) One of these days, I'll take it to my parents' place and snap it on their lawn.

This fabric collection is called Bookish, and is from Connecting Threads. It's mostly sold out, but you can still get some of it in fat quarters.

e:I do plan to quilt this eventually. I have been doing a lot of commission work lately, and when those pieces get on my nerves, I start another project to get my creative juices flowing again. It is very rare for a quilter to NOT have a pile of unfinished objects/works in progress.

Insanity may have something to do with it. The cost of materials might, also.

I love it! I love stars especially, but that is especially nice :)

Where do you sell your quilts? On Etsy?

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm finally done with this stupid thing. Why did I choose this for my first sewing project.

http://imgur.com/a/CCoO4

Except I'm not done and I need to go buy some fabric to make some accessories. And a box. And ship this thing to my brother in California.

I have newfound respect for my friends who knit and do other craft projects, making poo poo is a pain in the rear end. I hand-sewed the entire goddamn thing. :suicide:

He is super impressive for your first sewing project! I started with softies/toys and never stopped sewing :3:

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Rilae posted:

I'm also horrible at fabric cutting. I have a 24" x 36" cutting mat, and a 24" ruler. I've been making pillowcases, and because the fabric needs to be cut large, I have to fold it and cut it, etc. I don't know why I'm so bad it, I iron my fabric and double-check things but it always ends up at least a bit off and I've been finding that cutting the fabric takes me longer than the rest of the project. Has anyone come across a really good guide, or have some advice regarding this?

I appreciate any suggestions. :)

God, this. I'm terrible at cutting, it's my bane. I cheat and have one of these. I use it for my quick and dirty quilts - my slower ones I still hand cut.

I have particular trouble with folded fabrics, like you mention. The fold for me is always the part which will have a 'bend' at the end - so if I'm cutting a strip, it'll have a definite sway at the centre. I've tried lightly ironing the fold into the fabric, which seems to help. Also, I frequently have to take a big dose of chill the gently caress out when I quilt, so I don't let it worry me if things are a bit off. :) (Also why I don't make clothes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Rilae posted:

I thought I was squaring things up, but I'm studying those videos to make my technique better. It seems many tutorials gloss over this step, but it's quite vital!
Need to eventually get a 1/4 walking foot as well.

This. Shouldn't be too expensive. Made my first quilt with 1/2" seams til I got one.