Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Lately I have been trying to remember the title of a book that I haven't read for ten years or so, but would like to reread.

The book is an anti-war "war novel" written in the 60's or 70's. It chronicles the parallel careers of two soldiers. The protagonist is a mid-western student at West Point who leaves school to enlist in World War One. His counterpart is a WASPy egomaniac who lives only to further his own career. The novel follows the two characters through the interwar period and ends with the conclusion of World War II.

edit: after an hour or so of Googling, I found it. Anton Myrer's "Once An Eagle."

DonkeyHotay fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inle-rah
Oct 11, 2007

Sanity is not statistical.

BovineFury posted:

I guess it was the eighties, early nineties. There was a series of books with one group of magic users who tattooed magic symbols on themselves. They lost a war with some group who danced to do magic, and got locked up in a prison dimension. There were several different worlds, and one had water that would take away magic powers. I don't really remember anything else other than there being a necromancy world.

This sounds a lot like the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

Inle-rah posted:

This sounds a lot like the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle

That would be it. Thanks a bunch.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This is a really stupid one, because if I remember correctly, the book wasn't terribly well-written in the first place, but for some reason i've been wanting to read it again, and can't remember the name of it.

It was a science fiction novel about a guy who is lazy and mostly useless, but who, through a series of really goofy events finds himself in control of a giant spaceship that is actually a gene bank. He ends up traveling around the universe to various planets who request something from the bank that they need in order to solve some ecological problem, (we need an animal that will eat this other animal) but he usually ends up screwing it up, sometimes on purpose.

If I remember correctly, the title is the guy's name, and its some really ridiculous name like "Pyle" or something. I read the book when I was in high school.. I think in the mid 90s, though it could have been after that.

I also can remember, with near perfect clarity, that the cover features this dude, who is sort of rotund and bald, sitting on a chair in the ship surrounded by cats. (cats feature prominently in the book as well if I recall)

This is driving me absolutely nuts. The really stupid thing is that it's probably a Heinlein book or something. Man, that will be embarrassing.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

thrakkorzog posted:

I read the stories back when I was a kid, call it late 80's early 90's. It was young adult, sort of Baby Sitters Club, Hardy Boys-ish for the target audience. It was a series of books with a brother and sister living next door to The Munsters basically. The Monster neighbors kind of came off as weird ethnic neighbors. I remember Mambo Italiano was always playing in the background. With a Vampire boy and possibly a werewolf girl pretty much becoming BFFs with the main characters. I remember the monster boy was a vampire because he was always flying around on the covers.

Anybody remember this series?

Samatha Slade, Monster sitter? Not quite what you were talking about, but it does feature a family of "monsters" and the brother is a vampire, and the sister is a werewolf, and it is a young adult baby sitters club sorta thing. I read this series when I was too young to realize that I was essentially reading a series of books for girls. I admit it freely, because this is something awful, and nobody ever mocks anyone for embarrassing admissions.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BovineFury posted:

I guess it was the eighties, early nineties. There was a series of books with one group of magic users who tattooed magic symbols on themselves. They lost a war with some group who danced to do magic, and got locked up in a prison dimension. There were several different worlds, and one had water that would take away magic powers. I don't really remember anything else other than there being a necromancy world.

That almost sounds like the Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I don't remember anything about dancing for magic but I got got through the first two books.

Edit: Didn't notice the next page.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gawain The Blind posted:

This is a really stupid one, because if I remember correctly, the book wasn't terribly well-written in the first place, but for some reason i've been wanting to read it again, and can't remember the name of it.

It was a science fiction novel about a guy who is lazy and mostly useless, but who, through a series of really goofy events finds himself in control of a giant spaceship that is actually a gene bank. He ends up traveling around the universe to various planets who request something from the bank that they need in order to solve some ecological problem, (we need an animal that will eat this other animal) but he usually ends up screwing it up, sometimes on purpose.

If I remember correctly, the title is the guy's name, and its some really ridiculous name like "Pyle" or something. I read the book when I was in high school.. I think in the mid 90s, though it could have been after that.

I also can remember, with near perfect clarity, that the cover features this dude, who is sort of rotund and bald, sitting on a chair in the ship surrounded by cats. (cats feature prominently in the book as well if I recall)

This is driving me absolutely nuts. The really stupid thing is that it's probably a Heinlein book or something. Man, that will be embarrassing.

It's Tuf Voyaging, by George R. R. Martin.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Piell posted:

It's Tuf Voyaging, by George R. R. Martin.

Ah hah! Martin. Huh, I didn't think he did anything but the Song of Ice and Fire series. As per normal, I am an wrong.

You however, Piell, are the epitome of awesome.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I've been trying to remember the name of this book for some time now. The basic premise of the story focuses around a young wizard who is gay. Early in his life he is injured somehow and develops an extreme affinity for all aspects of magic (I am thinking there were five), rather than just one or two like most people have. In the book they're not actually described as gay or wizards, they have different terms to refer to them that I also cannot remember.

I am thinking it is called The "something" mage, or something similar.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cricket eater joe posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of this book for some time now. The basic premise of the story focuses around a young wizard who is gay. Early in his life he is injured somehow and develops an extreme affinity for all aspects of magic (I am thinking there were five), rather than just one or two like most people have. In the book they're not actually described as gay or wizards, they have different terms to refer to them that I also cannot remember.

Hmm I haven't read it in like 20 years, but there's "Master of Five Magics"? Has 5 magics but don't remember the gay.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

cricket eater joe posted:

It wouldn't happen to be The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey? That's about the only one I know of.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gawain The Blind posted:

Samatha Slade, Monster sitter? Not quite what you were talking about, but it does feature a family of "monsters" and the brother is a vampire, and the sister is a werewolf, and it is a young adult baby sitters club sorta thing. I read this series when I was too young to realize that I was essentially reading a series of books for girls. I admit it freely, because this is something awful, and nobody ever mocks anyone for embarrassing admissions.

Thanks, that looks like it. It's been probably 20 years since I read those books. I just remember my 10 year old self reading the back and going, "Oh yell yeah, 12-year old vampires trying to fit in at middle school, I'm down with that."

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I read a series of books in primary school (early 90's) that were about a family that lived in a space ship - I think it had 'Dragon' and '9' in its name. I also have a feeling that one book was set on a planet with giant ants, though this may be crossed-books. They were aimed at kids, and I have a feeling they were from the 70s.

Anyone else remember them?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sanguine posted:

I read a series of books in primary school (early 90's) that were about a family that lived in a space ship - I think it had 'Dragon' and '9' in its name. I also have a feeling that one book was set on a planet with giant ants, though this may be crossed-books. They were aimed at kids, and I have a feeling they were from the 70s.

Anyone else remember them?
Dragonfall 5. How bizarre; they've just come up on another forum I'm on, too....

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh

calandryll posted:

It wouldn't happen to be The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey? That's about the only one I know of.

This was it, thanks. I'm going to have to check out some of her other books because I remember really enjoying this one.

LabCreatedAmber
Feb 21, 2006
Hebrews 13:2
There's a sci-fi book I read about three years ago; it must've been published within the last 10 years. I want to say it has a sequel.

The main character had a Spanish sounding name, and he was telling the story of how he travelled to another planet with a team of people. It was supposed to be the first interplanetary trip that humans on Earth had ever taken. One of the crew was a small lady with dark hair (a mathematician, I think), and she falls in love with another crew member who was quite tall with red hair.

The team runs into a peaceful race of aliens, and later on, a more ruthless race who live in cities. Somewhere in the story, and team is killed except for the main guy. He has some sort of surgery on his hands where they lengthen the fingers by cutting away the bone and tendons in the palm of your hand. Apparently it is a sign of wealth, since you can pay other people to be your hands for you or some such thing.

The main character also ends up killing this one small female alien who's kind of looked up to him as a father figure. It was a accident, though, as he's locked up in a prison in one of the cities, and has nearly gone mad due to psychological and physical abuse from the bad aliens.

He ends up coming back to Earth, but I don't remember how exactly.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LabCreatedAmber posted:

There's a sci-fi book I read about three years ago; it must've been published within the last 10 years. I want to say it has a sequel.
It does. Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow and Children of God.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
This is one that's relatively recent. I picked the book up, read the blurb, thought to myself 'that's awesome', realised I had no money and resolved to get it at some other time...then completely forgot what the title was or who wrote it.

Basically in the 50s a plane crashes in the jungle somewhere. The survivors assume they crashed because World War 3 had started, and proceed to keep 50s English culture alive in this tiny jungle village. Eventually they are discovered by modern (90s/00s) explorers, still living the 50s lifestyle...and some stuff happens after that.

Any help much appreciated.

LabCreatedAmber
Feb 21, 2006
Hebrews 13:2

LittleSunshine posted:

It does. Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow and Children of God.

Ah! Thanks so much; I'm checking them out on Amazon right now!

Influenza
Nov 28, 2000

It's angry at the room. It wants the room to suffer.
OK, here's one. In the early 1980s I read a short sci-fi story about a guy who tries to go home one night and finds no one there he recognizes. He wanders around, noticing that things are all just a little different than he thinks they should be.

He ends up in a bar, where he isn't allowed to pay for his drink because his money isn't right. Some guy in the bar buys his drink and tells him that he has accidentally slipped dimensions. The main guy doesn't believe him, but the dude in the bar gives him a phone number and some coins to call him on a payphone if he changes his mind.

The main guy leaves the bar, sees something odd, tries to call the bar guy, but discovers that the coins he was given don't work anymore, and realizes he has "slipped" again.

The story was collected in an anthology I'm almost certain was called "Sideways in Time," but I can't find any info on that title anywhere. Anyone recognize it?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Influenza posted:

The story was collected in an anthology I'm almost certain was called "Sideways in Time," but I can't find any info on that title anywhere. Anyone recognize it?

Larry Niven, "For a Foggy Night"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LabCreatedAmber posted:

Ah! Thanks so much; I'm checking them out on Amazon right now!
The first one is excellent, the second... not so excellent. Still, it's good for finding out Supaari's motivation, at least.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mr Crucial posted:

This is one that's relatively recent. I picked the book up, read the blurb, thought to myself 'that's awesome', realised I had no money and resolved to get it at some other time...then completely forgot what the title was or who wrote it.

Basically in the 50s a plane crashes in the jungle somewhere. The survivors assume they crashed because World War 3 had started, and proceed to keep 50s English culture alive in this tiny jungle village. Eventually they are discovered by modern (90s/00s) explorers, still living the 50s lifestyle...and some stuff happens after that.

Any help much appreciated.

Speak for England by James Hawes. I keep thinking it looks good too, but then I keep forgetting about it so I haven't read it.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Unkempt posted:

Speak for England by James Hawes. I keep thinking it looks good too, but then I keep forgetting about it so I haven't read it.

I love you, and want you to have my babies. You have no idea how many results Google or Amazon throw up when you search for '50s plane crash book' or similar.

Thanks!

Mr Crucial fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 19, 2008

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was a kid (80s) I read from my library a series of books which were hilarious: they were humorous westerns, and, as I recall, very funny and well-written. Admittedly, I was about 10, but I was a precocious little fucker so they probably were quite good. They were aimed at (probably older) kids, but were also quite knowing. There was definitely more than one. For some reason the name Zane Grey seems relevant, but it obviously isn't him. Any ideas?

Edit: I posted this 6 minutes ago! WHY HASN'T ANYONE RESPONDED!?

it is more than an hour now. I feel so let down and disappointed. Oh Book Barn, why hast thou forsaken me!?

therattle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 19, 2008

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I remember reading a book (may have been part of a series, the ending made it seem like it was the first book) about a soldier who was part of some kind of galactic police force. Anyway, his whole planet somehow gets wiped out and he is infected with whatever killed the rest of his planet but is saved by some secret society.

I think his bones were unbreakable too? and he may have been telepathic. In the book I read he is on a search for possible survivors and also for the person responsible for this (I think he was called the One so... not very original/helpful)

(i read this in the early 90s)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

roffles posted:

I remember reading a book (may have been part of a series, the ending made it seem like it was the first book) about a soldier who was part of some kind of galactic police force. Anyway, his whole planet somehow gets wiped out and he is infected with whatever killed the rest of his planet but is saved by some secret society.

I think his bones were unbreakable too? and he may have been telepathic. In the book I read he is on a search for possible survivors and also for the person responsible for this (I think he was called the One so... not very original/helpful)

(i read this in the early 90s)
Sounds like the Last Legionary series by Douglas Hill. Did he hang out with a bat-like extragalactic alien called Glr?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Trying to remember a book series - i think i read it about 6 years ago

It was a fantasy series that focused on a bunch of towers that when you gained control of them you became lord of land all around the tower. To get to the tower you had to kill some kind of spirit things. The first book i remember the guy was in a maze and came upon the tower by accident and managed to get to the top off it and take control of it.

Then he trapped the spirit things in armour and made his army thing.

There was also something about demon type guys, alters and another demension of towers or something. It sounds really poo poo when i type it out like this but i remember really enjoying the books and would like to read them again but for the love of me i cant remember the title or the series. I think the main characters name had something to do with Charybdis

--

Also one other book that i read earlier maybe 8 or 9 years ago was called something like "Space Gun" or "Space Zapper" or something about a gun. I am pretty sure it was by an Australian author so maybe not many Americans will have heard about it.

It was a book about a kid whos dads a game developer and brings him home some new game from his boss in Japan called Space Gun or something. The game is really hard in the first level and he never gets anywhere. Then he gets angry or something and he goes into the actual game where he has to shot the men. I think he invites over someone he doesn't get along with to make him more angry so that he can easily get into the game or something. I remember that after playing the game for a while they start to see black cracks every where and the men hiding in the corners or something and they go crazy.

edit - last time i searched i had no luck - remembering it was by an australian i searched "space Gun australian book" - any way if anyone else wants to know the title of the book is Space Demons by Gillian Rubinstein

Thanks

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 20, 2008

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

LittleSunshine posted:

Sounds like the Last Legionary series by Douglas Hill. Did he hang out with a bat-like extragalactic alien called Glr?

Well I skimmed the wikipedia article and this is series I'm thinking of, thanks! I don't remember the name of the alien sidekick but now that I think of it there was one, it piloted the ship and stuff. (And I guess it was the telepathic one, not Keill)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

therattle posted:

When I was a kid (80s) I read from my library a series of books which were hilarious: they were humorous westerns, and, as I recall, very funny and well-written. Admittedly, I was about 10, but I was a precocious little fucker so they probably were quite good. They were aimed at (probably older) kids, but were also quite knowing. There was definitely more than one. For some reason the name Zane Grey seems relevant, but it obviously isn't him. Any ideas?

Edit: I posted this 6 minutes ago! WHY HASN'T ANYONE RESPONDED!?

it is more than an hour now. I feel so let down and disappointed. Oh Book Barn, why hast thou forsaken me!?

your posts amounts to "i read a western once, pretty funny. maybe kids books, hard to say because i am incredibly smart. something about zane grey, who knows." there is very little chance anyone is going to be able to parse anything out of that. it's just not enough information.

also stop being a human being.

elaborate_hat
Apr 23, 2005
I remember reading something, possibly a short story, that had a male character named Guard. I think it was a sort of Great Gatsby-ish book, possibly the same era. Probably written between 1900 and 1950, or whenever someone might actually be called Guard. Unfortunately this makes it impossible to search for.

Anyone happen to have come across this?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There was a cheap horror novel in my high school library that I remember distinctly as being extremely depressing. It was a zombie novel, where the end of the book involved all the zombies suddenly falling over dead, followed by a supervirus wiping out the remaining humans, and finally Zombie George HW Bush hitting the nuclear button and destroying everything. For my seventeen-year-old self, it was utterly bizarre to see a book that ended not merely that bleakly, but in such a "Okay, gently caress my characters" sort of way.

I've been thinking for the last ten years that it was Robert McCallum's Swan Song, but looking at the book's Amazon page, it can't be.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

imnotinsane posted:

Also one other book that i read earlier maybe 8 or 9 years ago was called something like "Space Gun" or "Space Zapper" or something about a gun. I am pretty sure it was by an Australian author so maybe not many Americans will have heard about it.

It was a book about a kid whos dads a game developer and brings him home some new game from his boss in Japan called Space Gun or something. The game is really hard in the first level and he never gets anywhere. Then he gets angry or something and he goes into the actual game where he has to shot the men. I think he invites over someone he doesn't get along with to make him more angry so that he can easily get into the game or something. I remember that after playing the game for a while they start to see black cracks every where and the men hiding in the corners or something and they go crazy.

edit - last time i searched i had no luck - remembering it was by an australian i searched "space Gun australian book" - any way if anyone else wants to know the title of the book is Space Demons by Gillian Rubinstein

Thanks
That is so messed up, because I remember seeing some obviously made for TV movie that reminds me of your description.

Anyway, here's an easy one for you: I think it was one of William Gibson's earlier short stories; it was basically about this emergency counselor type whose job is to make first contact with astronauts coming back from missions to another dimension or something, who had the habit of killing themselves immediately upon returning.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

immolationsex posted:

That is so messed up, because I remember seeing some obviously made for TV movie that reminds me of your description.

Anyway, here's an easy one for you: I think it was one of William Gibson's earlier short stories; it was basically about this emergency counselor type whose job is to make first contact with astronauts coming back from missions to another dimension or something, who had the habit of killing themselves immediately upon returning.

That's Hinterlands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterlands_%28short_story%29

Hubcap Hal
Jun 20, 2003

There was a book that was recommended in a thread in this forum. I forgot to write down the title, and now I want to read the book.
It was about a guy who dies, and is either reincarnated into a new body, or he is placed into his younger self. I think there was a woman who had the same thing happen to her, and I think there was a serial killer who was hunting the main character. One other thing that I can recall is that the author wrote a sequel, and that he also died. I believe the book came out in the '80s.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hubcap Hal posted:

There was a book that was recommended in a thread in this forum. I forgot to write down the title, and now I want to read the book.
It was about a guy who dies, and is either reincarnated into a new body, or he is placed into his younger self. I think there was a woman who had the same thing happen to her, and I think there was a serial killer who was hunting the main character. One other thing that I can recall is that the author wrote a sequel, and that he also died. I believe the book came out in the '80s.

That's Ken Grimwood's 'Replay', which I think is an excellent book that doesn't get enough recognition. I don't think the sequel was finished or published, though.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

teamdest posted:

the first one was possibly in an elementry school short story collection, and was about (i think) the sun becoming a red giant in the far future. the earth is being evacuated, and the story follows a poor family who are crammed aboard one of the "cheap" starships and launched out into space. when they finally reach a planet the youngest child on the ship is chosen to name it, and she (he?) chooses the name "sunshine" or possibly "sunlight". additionally, there is some kind of grass on the planet that is very sharp and cuts their feet when they first run out onto the ground, and they call for boots. that's all i can remember.

Oh, Good God. I think I remember reading this one. If I remember correctly, the Earth is undergoing some kind of Ice Age (in the beginning, the kids ask if the old pictures were brown with age or if it was just warmer). They make it to their new planet, and find out that there's an insane amount of silicon (or something) in the soil that makes all the plants very glass-like.

In addition, there are these moth people that live for a year and lay eggs around the place. Other random memories are the wheat being glass-like, the lake being sort of mercury-like, the father turning into an inventor, and that burning the trees in the area was the best way to cut them down. Also, no one really brought any good works of art (the Bible, Shakespeare, Iliad, Odyssey, etc.).

Hope that helps someone.

Edit: Unfortunately I have had no luck in my searches. Anyone else?

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 24, 2008

thepiratedino
Aug 7, 2007
I believe that you're thinking of Orbit by John J. Nance

Piell posted:

This is a book that came out a few years ago I think. It's about a guy who goes on a trip into space, but a micro-meteorite takes out the radio and the pilot. He starts writing his life story on a computer, which somehow is able to be read by people on Earth, who put it up on the news. There is an spaceship sent to save him, but he doesn't know about it so he flies the ship down to earth himself.

Kalmar
Dec 28, 2004

the angriest little zinc
I'm looking for the title of a piece that I read in an of anthology of Japanese short stories. The things I remember are:

A) It was about a female pedophile who bought her friend's young son a shirt, watched him put it on and got off on it.

B) She has an extended fantasy in which she's abusing this child, including swinging him around by him intestines against hot sheet metal that kind of cooks him.

I only remember these things because I stopped reading at the latter bit for the sake of my stomach. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

your posts amounts to "i read a western once, pretty funny. maybe kids books, hard to say because i am incredibly smart. something about zane grey, who knows." there is very little chance anyone is going to be able to parse anything out of that. it's just not enough information.

also stop being a human being.

The whole point is that people often don't remember much. I don't remember any more but I want to find out what the books were. Is it any more vague than:

"The book is about some other world where dudes can use magic, one scene they are fighting in a church (I think) and the other one they are fighting in possibly some sort of town square by a water fountain."

"Okay... this is a short story, I think, about a priest being murdered in the church where he's... a priest... and while he's being murdered, he thinks about the concept of martyrdom. These details are kind of fuzzy, and it might actually be a poem. I really don't know, and googling hasn't done much."

As for being a human being, stop being an rear end in a top hat. I was making a joke about how amazingly quickly people respond to these posts.