Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Maha posted:

A book of short stories, most of them pretty dark and cynical, all having animal protagonists.
One of them is about a dog who's a Buddhist detective. Another is about a dung beetle who works himself to death building a dung statue of himself. Another was about a badger(?) who desperately wanted to find a mate to hibernate with. I think another one was about a bee who ate royal jelly and turned into a queen when it wasn't supposed to.
I must've read it around 2008. Author may have had an Italian name. Does anyone know this one?

It's not Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris is it? I can't remember the contents of that very well but it was a lot of cynical stories featuring animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Hedrigall posted:

It's not Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris is it? I can't remember the contents of that very well but it was a lot of cynical stories featuring animals.

Came out too late to be it, 2008 at the latest.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trying to remember a book I read. Can't recall any details except for one weird scene.

Main protagonist and friend go to a doctor, who's a witch or warlock or something. He's offering choices to a girl gymnast where he can fix her knee and it'll work fine but she won't be able to compete anymore, or he can fix it where she can compete and maybe win, except it won't stand up to the stress well and it'll blow out and no longer be a functioning knee.

He does some kinda magic (think there's plants involved) and she ends up choosing the "fix it so I can compete" option.

I am pretty sure it's a recent book, so something in the last 2 or 3 years at the earliest. It's an urban fantasy one, but damned if I can remember anything else past that.

One of the Generation V books by M.L. Brennan.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Barbe Rouge posted:

One of the Generation V books by M.L. Brennan.

These are actually pretty good

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cool!

Oh yea, books were surprisingly good actually. Way better than I thought they'd end up being.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

navyjack posted:

These are actually pretty good

Yes they are, IMO.
Too bad the publisher isn't interested in books 5 & 6.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Barbe Rouge posted:

Yes they are, IMO.
Too bad the publisher isn't interested in books 5 & 6.

Ugh, is THAT why there's nothing about a 5th book??

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

navyjack posted:

Ugh, is THAT why there's nothing about a 5th book??

I suppose so. I'm hoping when/if Brennan writes another book/series it'll do better and maybe raise interest in Gen V as well.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I'm thinking of a short story I read years ago. I think it had dark fantasy/ horror overtones but was set in a western or pioneer type setting. The main character fights a demon or something by tearing pages out of a bible, or tearing the bible in half, but remarks that god isn't real and he gets his power from something else.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Poldarn posted:

I'm thinking of a short story I read years ago. I think it had dark fantasy/ horror overtones but was set in a western or pioneer type setting. The main character fights a demon or something by tearing pages out of a bible, or tearing the bible in half, but remarks that god isn't real and he gets his power from something else.

It might be "The Crawling Sky" by Joe R. Lansdale.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

It might be "The Crawling Sky" by Joe R. Lansdale.

You sent me on a google trail that lead me to "Deadman's Road", also by Jor R. Lansdale. Thanks!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just read And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill's Side by James Tiptree Jr. I thought I'd read it before, but quickly realized it's not that story at all that I thought I'd read.

The story I had in my mind was about an astronaut or a space traveller in general being stuck on a planet and having a relationship with an inscrutable and strange lifeform that ultimately becomes sexual in nature. Now it's possible my brain has created this story out of whole cloth based on just the title and premise, but it might also be an actual story. It's definitely not Kij Johnson's Spar, but the atmosphere and premise would have been a little similar.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Antti posted:

I just read And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill's Side by James Tiptree Jr. I thought I'd read it before, but quickly realized it's not that story at all that I thought I'd read.

The story I had in my mind was about an astronaut or a space traveller in general being stuck on a planet and having a relationship with an inscrutable and strange lifeform that ultimately becomes sexual in nature. Now it's possible my brain has created this story out of whole cloth based on just the title and premise, but it might also be an actual story. It's definitely not Kij Johnson's Spar, but the atmosphere and premise would have been a little similar.

Harlan Ellison's "How's the Night Life on Cissalda?" perhaps? Although that was more humorous in tone.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It was definitely not comedic in tone, no, and the protagonist was alone on the planet aside from the alien.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Hey, I just had a massive wave of nostalgia for a slightly horrifyingly illustrated kids' book I had when I was little. Damned if I can remember the title, but I kind of remember it was about a marvelous egg or amazing egg. The illustrations were what I liked most, they were this weird unsettling artistic style that was like halfway between Goya and Hieronymous Bosch? I also remember one illustration that had this really imposing lion-like monster that I think was called King Ticonderoga. I don't really remember fully, but I think everyone was fighting over this egg that hatched a little bluebird or something. If anyone can find it for me, I will love you forever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's been eating at me, but I have this memory of this fantasy series where there is a world where people use illusionary magic all the time, until I think the main character starts using magic that actually changes the property of things. Any idea what that might be?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im Nein! Mein kammerad ess llkalesussen qerden un go but es meinkamerad

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antti posted:

It was definitely not comedic in tone, no, and the protagonist was alone on the planet aside from the alien.
https://youtu.be/05Ey7S6Iogc
Perhaps this faithful adaptation will help.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Shageletic posted:

It's been eating at me, but I have this memory of this fantasy series where there is a world where people use illusionary magic all the time, until I think the main character starts using magic that actually changes the property of things. Any idea what that might be?

Is it Garth Nix's Seventh Tower series?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I read this short story online some time ago. I don't know if it was originally published in print and then put online, or if it came from some short story website somewhere. It's a science fiction story about a black hole or similar phenomenon destroying the earth. A scientist sees the sky flash a different color (perhaps redshift?) and knows what's happening. So he races home to be with his daughter. At the end they're being pulled into the sky by gravity, but because of time dilation everything sort of freezes or something.

This is driving me crazy. Searching with keywords like "black hole" "father" "daughter" "scientist" "redshift" seems to only get me results about Interstellar.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

ZoeDomingo posted:

I read this short story online some time ago. I don't know if it was originally published in print and then put online, or if it came from some short story website somewhere. It's a science fiction story about a black hole or similar phenomenon destroying the earth. A scientist sees the sky flash a different color (perhaps redshift?) and knows what's happening. So he races home to be with his daughter. At the end they're being pulled into the sky by gravity, but because of time dilation everything sort of freezes or something.

This is driving me crazy. Searching with keywords like "black hole" "father" "daughter" "scientist" "redshift" seems to only get me results about Interstellar.

The Blue Afternoon that Lasted Forever.

Echo Cian fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 6, 2017

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

ZoeDomingo posted:

I remember this! It was a great story. I remember it talked about how his daughter was crying and her tears were going up instead of down. I hope someone comes up with it.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Thank you! That's so weird: I really felt sure that the word "blue" was in the title, and that the word "forever" had something to do with it. And yet, I never came up with it with those search terms.

Bookish posted:

I remember this! It was a great story. I remember it talked about how his daughter was crying and her tears were going up instead of down. I hope someone comes up with it.

It is a really good tale. Thanks, folks!

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I read this book over 20 years ago, sci fi but I think it starts as fantasy.

At some point they find a bunch of cyborgs underground then at the end of the book they are on a spaceship with a choice of 2 planets to go to. They are different colours, one guy insists they go to one and then it turns out he is an alien/vampire whos was hiding with them from the start.

Beyond that I cant remember a thing.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sonderval posted:

I read this book over 20 years ago, sci fi but I think it starts as fantasy.

At some point they find a bunch of cyborgs underground then at the end of the book they are on a spaceship with a choice of 2 planets to go to. They are different colours, one guy insists they go to one and then it turns out he is an alien/vampire whos was hiding with them from the start.

Beyond that I cant remember a thing.

Exodus from the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe, the last volume of Book of the Long Sun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maha posted:

That's my guess too.

Another YA book. Dystopia where a family is limited to two kids. It's from the perspective of a third child who has to hide his entire life. I think his name was Luke, and his brothers were Matthew and Mark. It was at least a trilogy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I figured this one out on my own, but sharing here because it was driving me crazy.

I remembered in the 1990s I had an older (1960s-70s) paperback that was a YA novel where all the characters have amnesia and are wandering around rural England trying to put things together. I recall how the cover looked, and that one character was the Man in the Bowler Hat. The part that should've been the easy-google was that I was pretty sure the title included the name "Jem", but googling "ya novel jem" or "sci fi novel jem" kept swamping me with hits for either the Jem who's in To Kill a Mockingbird, or the 1980s cartoon Jem and the Holograms.

Finally I took a different angle, and I remember that the cover had a margin of color around the whole front, which I recognized as being really typical to the publisher. Even though the book was a little dark, my memory of the cover really resembled the Dell Yearling style (and I associate that border of color with the horse logo). Turns out googling "dell yearling jem" got me my title: Spirit of Jem, 1947 novel by P. H. Newby, who didn't normally write kids' stuff. Cheerily summarized on WorldCat as "A nightmarish adventure in which a strange young man tries to take over the world by means of an amnesia-inducing poison."

Tinypic acting up, here's cover: http://www.orielisbooks.com/shop_image/product/000969.jpg

So that's my adventure, not being able to figure out the book was driving me crazy, feeling clever now.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Another YA book. Dystopia where a family is limited to two kids. It's from the perspective of a third child who has to hide his entire life. I think his name was Luke, and his brothers were Matthew and Mark. It was at least a trilogy.

This is Margaret Peterson Haddix's Shadow Children series. The first book, about Luke, is called Among the Hidden.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That would be it, thanks. I never read the second, I didn't like the end of the first one.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I sure hope someone can figure this one out. Good luck!

I read a couple of books about a decade ago about a world where virtual reality was, basically, the new world. The first book centers around a main character who is one of the few people left who still has his real life body and can visit his parents in virtual reality, where everyone lives forever and does whatever they want. You can only stay in virtual reality for so long before you have to get back to your real world body, otherwise you're stuck in VR. If you choose to make the transition, your real body is thrown into a furnace. Back out in the real world, other weird poo poo is happening where a super religious cult is trying to gather forces and nuke the virtual server, since (of course) it's an abomination. Right around here is where the first and second books kinda melt together for me. I know that the main character falls in love with a virtual girl and that's why he eventually transitions over. I know the second book centers around a soldier (or detective?) in the real world handling the religious cult and some hybrid woman. Oh yeah, also there are hybrid people in the real world, who have their DNA mixed with animals. Furry paradise, right? Anyway, I know the second novel ends with him discovering the main bad guy (head of the cult) is cloning himself and transferring consciousness between clones, while also being a horrible pedophile I guess, because he wasn't bad enough already.

More things I remember: I think the first book technically starts off with the inventor of the virtual reality watching a recording of someone choosing to die (you can die in the VR world if you fully, consciously choose to, otherwise you can jump off bridges for fun) in order to study what they see at the time of death. The person chose to die by being struck by lightning in the middle of a vast field and the last thing they see is their parents in a light. I also remember that the cult successfully nukes the server but the twist is that the inventor actually has dozens of servers flying through space, replicating what the main server was doing, but now that it's nuked, each server in space is now a separate reality but nobody notices because everyone's having too much fun in their virtual utopia.

And that's the last of what I can remember. Thanks for helping!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You're looking for a trilogy by W.T. Quick, the last of which is Singularities.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
As a kid I read a surreal young adult novel. A young teen who finds a bizarre old man living like a hermit inside an abandoned house. He starts caring from with him with I think a female friend. There's a bit where he smuggles Chinese food to him, and eventually it's revealed that the old man is apparently an angel. The book ends when his wings return. There's also a subplot about the boy's youngest sister being born, who's eventually named Joy. Because of that last part I'm pretty sure the author is an Anglophone (I read a translation).

I think the author also wrote another surreal young adult novel. It's about a young teen who joins a sort of cult in his school led by the local weird kid. They gather in a ritual in a cave where they circle around a knife, and the weird kid whispers to whoever the knife points to. This causes them to fall unconscious.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 17, 2016

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As a kid I read a surreal young adult novel. A young teen who finds a bizarre old man living like a hermit inside an abandoned house. He starts caring from with him with I think a female friend. There's a bit where he smuggles Chinese food to him, and eventually it's revealed that the old man is apparently an angel. The book ends when his wings return. There's also a subplot about the boy's youngest sister being born, who's eventually named Joy. Because of that last part I'm pretty sure the author is an Anglophone (I read a translation).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig

No idea if he wrote anything else though.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The other book sounds like it must be Kit's Wilderness by the same author. A group of boys play a game called "Death" where they meet in an old mine and spin a knife to choose who will "die".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maha posted:

No unfortunately not. At least I don't remember all those details mentioned in the wikipedia article.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
I have a weird one here... a short story from a collection of shorts, a late 70s, early 80s collection I read multiple times at my local library when I was a kid. A young man is hiding from giant bugs, they're after him in some kind of bizarre post-apocalyptic setting. He seeks refuge inside a barrel or some other sort of hole in the wall, and the bugs eventually find him and come after him. Their long, skinny, gross bug/roach legs are reaching in to pull him out and he starts flipping the gently caress out and screaming. There's a reveal at the end that he's actually just high on some kind of insane drug, hiding on the street in some shithole, and the giant bugs are actually cops who do the whole stereotypical "Found another one, eh? Yeah, another one high on that poo poo, freaking out." anti-drug message bullshit thing.
I remember there was some art that went with the story. It was black & white line work, the boy's view of his own feet and hands from a first-person perspective, looking down at his own body, with the round hole of the barrel sorta like a porthole in a ship in the background, with the giant bug things visible thru the hole standing in the distance.

Anything anyone can give me, even just someone remembering this story somewhere and telling me I'm not crazy... just anything will help. Thanks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Peztopiary posted:

You're looking for a trilogy by W.T. Quick, the last of which is Singularities.
If this is a reply to my post, it is incorrect.
Edit: And after just looking at a long list of the best books about virtual reality, I discover it is Circuit of Heaven and End of Days by Dennis Danvers.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 19, 2016

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
YA novel from the 1970s. Ants have become sentient. Anthills are moving around attacking people. Gross, detailed scenes of people being gobbled up by anthills and melted by acidic ant spittle. Lots of thinly veiled messages about how artificial fertilizers and pesticides are bad, and how humans are doomed now that women can choose to use birth control without needing permission from their husbands. I think the book was set to The Netherlands, but the main characters were Swedish teenagers on holiday? Or something similar. Could have been Dutch people in Denmark. Absolutely had a 19 year old hero described as having "thick, wavy, angelic blond hair" he hoped he would pass on to his future children. Cheesy '70s style cover and artwork in psychedelic colours.

I need the title for the terrible book thread in PYF

BattyKiara fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

A bit of a long shot but:

A book I read during the 90s at primary school in the UK. It wasn't complex and had maybe a sentence or two on each page along with an illustration as it was for kids in the 5-7(?) age range. (so for uk people key stage 1 or 2?)

The story was a man on a space station (or spaceship?) and something was on board, he checked all the security camera feeds but couldn't see anything, then in the last one he saw the door to the room he was in was open. Then he turns around and is confronted by an alien, and I think it ends like that.