Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
I picked up a HD70 for $800, and have been very happy with it. Since the projector is located in a fallout shelter (No windows) I was not concerned about brightness, and low cost was important to me.

I build a ceiling mount from some angle iron I had sitting around from an old computer case:

It is lag bolted it into the ceiling and is strong enough that I can hang from it.

Then I grabbed an old projector screen out of a dumpster at college.

They threw it out because the screen no longer retracts.

This is what the HD70 replaced:

So as you can guess, just about anything would have been better. :)

(Yes, that is stadium couch seating in the picture. We built stands so each row is a little taller than the last.)

Swap_File fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge
A fallout shelter would be nuts for an install. Crank up the sound and no one except you is going to give a poo poo!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

I'll give you a little tip I learned about buying HT equipment:

Pick what you want, at the price you want it, purchase it, and NEVER LOOK AT NEW EQUIPMENT AGAIN until it's time to upgrade. If you hang out on AVS or whatever, you'll never be happy with your purchase, ever. Just buy it, hook it up, and enjoy.

AVS will make you hate everything you own. The only thing AVS teaches you is that no matter the cost, no matter the brand or build, that there will be some huge flaw with your device. Rainbows, silk screen, screen door, dithering, pillering, clouding, lag, artifacting, redpush, geometry, 1:1 mapping, there is no end to the list and your tv will have at least one major issue.

The amount you enjoy your purchase is inversly proportionate to your research. I hate to say it, but if you go out there and view some sets, buy one you like, and take it home you will enjoy it way more than if you research it to death. I reasearched my current TV to death and couldn't decide on annything. Instead I went out, played with some sets tweaking their settings and previewing them, took one home and couldn't be happier.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Just wanted to report that I am very happy with my Benq W500.
The contrast / level of "blackness" might be my only slight complaint. Still - it is a LCD projector with lens shift and lots of bells and whistles for 800$. Well worth it.

CrakSt
Jan 1, 2007

Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?
I got my Mitsubishi HC4900 last week and I am very impressed with it. I have it projected on just a white wall and the full screen is around 180" give or take. The picture is crystal clear. As with most reviews for any projector a lot have claimed that the blacks are off. If they are I can't tell. I had some people over for the football games on sunday and even with the sun coming in the blinds the picture was steller.

It is still on sale for $1,999 with a $500 mail in rebate at http://projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=23232&itmname=Mitsubishi+HC4900

edit: Looks like they brought back the $100 off coupon code: Playoff100 Final price after MIR and coupon code-$1,399

CrakSt fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 17, 2008

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO

CrakSt posted:

I got my Mitsubishi HC4900 last week and I am very impressed with it. I have it projected on just a white wall and the full screen is around 180" give or take. The picture is crystal clear. As with most reviews for any projector a lot have claimed that the blacks are off. If they are I can't tell. I had some people over for the football games on sunday and even with the sun coming in the blinds the picture was steller.

It is still on sale for $1,999 with a $500 mail in rebate at http://projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=23232&itmname=Mitsubishi+HC4900

edit: Looks like they brought back the $100 off coupon code: Playoff100 Final price after MIR and coupon code-$1,399

This is loving ridiculous. I've been looking for a good projector forever. Is this a good bet, or should I stick with the AX200u? (The ridiculous part is that they are the same price i think)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Insidious posted:

This is loving ridiculous. I've been looking for a good projector forever. Is this a good bet, or should I stick with the AX200u? (The ridiculous part is that they are the same price i think)

If you're looking for serious theater, go HC4900.

If you have a moderately bright room and are just looking to gently caress around and watch sports/play video games/use your computer, go with the AX200.

Contrast on the AX200 isn't that hot, to be honest. It's good for what it's good for, which is rooms where a projector isn't normally bright enough. Other than that, it's not that special.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
I'm battling with myself to justify the $1400. I've always wished I could spring for 1080p, and now it's within my reach, as my original budget was $1200. Do you think I should get this deal now or should I wait? The $500 rebate plus the $100 coupon is amazing - question is, will I be able to get it for less than $1400 if I wait a month or so?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Insidious posted:

I'm battling with myself to justify the $1400. I've always wished I could spring for 1080p, and now it's within my reach, as my original budget was $1200. Do you think I should get this deal now or should I wait? The $500 rebate plus the $100 coupon is amazing - question is, will I be able to get it for less than $1400 if I wait a month or so?

You'll always be able to get better for cheaper later. The question is, do you want it now?

If it's within reach, just go for it. After you do, though, stop visiting AVS Forum, stop reading about new projectors, and stop following the price on the one you bought. It'll only make you unhappy.

Looking at it another way, if you take "wait and see" too far, you'll never buy anything at all.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Food for thought, sitting 10ft from my 100" screen, the 720P image coming from our Sanyo Z4 couldn't possibly look better. I honestly don't see the need to ever upgrade to 1080P. The picture on a nice HD-DVD is flawless. Absolutely, completely flawless.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Owsla posted:

Food for thought, sitting 10ft from my 100" screen, the 720P image coming from our Sanyo Z4 couldn't possibly look better.

I'm really glad that you're happy, but I've got news for you - some of the new stuff is loving mindblowing.

Enjoy your projector. When you're ready for an upgrade in a few years, prepare to be blown the gently caress away.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice! :)

Honestly it will probably be a bit sooner than later just due to the fact that we want to move to a 135" 2.35:1 and figure we might as well get a new projector and some more contrast while we're at it. It helps that we already have a line of buyers waiting for the Z4 too, nearly everyone that's seen it in action wants to buy it :lol:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

I'm really glad that you're happy, but I've got news for you - some of the new stuff is loving mindblowing.

Enjoy your projector. When you're ready for an upgrade in a few years, prepare to be blown the gently caress away.

Yah, I would say now the upgrade will be minimal, but in another few years it will be huge. I kept saying "bah, it isn't a big deal" with my z2, and then the z5 hit and it was time to upgrade!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
This forum is going to break me. First it was the receiver, now its the TV. Goodbye Toshiba 56" DLP, hello Mitsubishi HC4900 projector. Time to read up on screens now!
I guess I shouldnt complain though. I'm getting the projector for $1400, which is what I'm selling my TV, stand and extended warranty for. My only out of pocket costs on this will be a screen, cieling mount and a long, long HDMI cable to go from the receiver to the projector.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Sympathetic Wasp posted:

Time to read up on screens now!

Whatever you do don't go read about Stewart Filmscreen.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Sympathetic Wasp posted:

This forum is going to break me. First it was the receiver, now its the TV. Goodbye Toshiba 56" DLP, hello Mitsubishi HC4900 projector. Time to read up on screens now!
I guess I shouldnt complain though. I'm getting the projector for $1400, which is what I'm selling my TV, stand and extended warranty for. My only out of pocket costs on this will be a screen, cieling mount and a long, long HDMI cable to go from the receiver to the projector.

I use monoprices universal projector ceiling mount which is only 19 dollars and works like a charm. I had to buy bolts for the projector itself and file the mount brackets slightly but considering what it saved me I have no complaints.

Swanky
Nov 23, 2004
Watch out! He has a book!
I just picked up the Optoma HD70 for a very good price ($200 rebate ends today). And for someone tried to do as much research as possible in finding a good mix of quality/value/size etc... I am NEVER looking back. The thing is absolutely magnificent. Projecting it on my wall (which is dark green), from 12 feet, the HD is absolutely absurd. What sort of receiver should I be looking for considering my HDMI input is video only?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My dad is looking for a 1080p projector. Looking here for ideas...is there any that he should stay away from?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

BonoMan posted:

My dad is looking for a 1080p projector. Looking here for ideas...is there any that he should stay away from?

Gonna need a little more information than that, chief.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

King Hotpants posted:

Gonna need a little more information than that, chief.

Well those listed in that page were the only ones that I was really aware of (in the sub 5 grand range), and I was asking were any those (there was like 8 or 10 of 'em) problematic and needed staying away from.

So basically...what's the best sub 5 grand 1080p projector.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

BonoMan posted:

Well those listed in that page were the only ones that I was really aware of (in the sub 5 grand range), and I was asking were any those (there was like 8 or 10 of 'em) problematic and needed staying away from.

So basically...what's the best sub 5 grand 1080p projector.

For what installation, in what room, at what distance, with how much light, playing back what kind of content onto what screen?

There is no miraculous "best" projector that works perfectly for everyone and there never will be.

And if they were problematic or lovely, Projector Central probably wouldn't be recommending them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

King Hotpants posted:

For what installation, in what room, at what distance, with how much light, playing back what kind of content onto what screen?

There is no miraculous "best" projector that works perfectly for everyone and there never will be.

And if they were problematic or lovely, Projector Central probably wouldn't be recommending them.

No need to get your panties in a bunch! <:mad:>

I'm not sure on the details in the room, but it will be totally blacked out. HD content of course...Blu-Ray combined with HD Sat feed.

And I know there isn't some miraulous best player...I was really just looking at some sort of starting point for research.

edit: Screen size will start out at 70" and go up from there since he just informed me he has a 70" Da-Lite screen sitting in a box he has never used.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

BonoMan posted:

No need to get your panties in a bunch! <:mad:>

I'm not sure on the details in the room, but it will be totally blacked out. HD content of course...Blu-Ray combined with HD Sat feed.

And I know there isn't some miraulous best player...I was really just looking at some sort of starting point for research.

edit: Screen size will start out at 70" and go up from there since he just informed me he has a 70" Da-Lite screen sitting in a box he has never used.

The Panasonic AE2000 is very popular, but probably too bright for this setup. That's all I'd avoid.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
What do you mean by "too bright" King Hotpants?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I mean too bright. Like too much light on the screen.

People have this assumption that more lumens are always better and it's just not true. If you get too much light on a screen that's too small, you'll give yourself a nasty headache while watching a movie.

For a really dark room and a 70" screen, you don't need more than about 300 lumens. Some people prefer a little more, but the AE2000 can be really, really bright. Like 900 lumens bright.

For a screen that small, the extra brightness of the AE2000 is wasted, so it might be smart to get a cheaper (but still good) 1080p projector that is better suited to this particular task. The Sanyo Z2000 might be a good choice here, or maybe the Mitsubishi HC4900.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

King Hotpants posted:

People have this assumption that more lumens are always better and it's just not true. If you get too much light on a screen that's too small, you'll give yourself a nasty headache while watching a movie.

For a really dark room and a 70" screen, you don't need more than about 300 lumens. Some people prefer a little more, but the AE2000 can be really, really bright. Like 900 lumens bright.

For a screen that small, the extra brightness of the AE2000 is wasted, so it might be smart to get a cheaper (but still good) 1080p projector that is better suited to this particular task. The Sanyo Z2000 might be a good choice here, or maybe the Mitsubishi HC4900.

Sweet! That's great advice..thanks. Although he is just using the 70" screen right now because he bought it a while back and never used it. He'll move to an over 100" screen soon I'm sure.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

King Hotpants posted:

Seconding this, I just put in a 5000 lumen projector into a windowless lecture hall and have to run the thing on ecomode or it gives everyone an awful headache, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to watch a movie on that thing

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
The good thing about having a projector rated higher than you need is you can run eco mode and get a bunch more lamp life, less fan noise, etc.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

phunkdust posted:

The good thing about having a projector rated higher than you need is you can run eco mode and get a bunch more lamp life, less fan noise, etc.

This would make sense if the HC4900 wasn't $800 cheaper than the AE2000, half as loud (22dB on the Panny, 19dB on the Mits), and rated for a 5,000 hour lamp life. :)

Normally what you're saying is spot-on correct, but in this specific case it's not. Mits just did a really, really good job.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
Yer just a general comment.

This I'll ask though - do any of you have any useful experience/advice regarding lamp flickering? From what I've read, arc lamps do this when they're new (I've not even got up to 200hrs yet) although a lot of forum posts I'm reading suggest shipping it back to Panasonic. I'm running in normal lamp mode at the moment to try and 'cook off' the lamp a bit faster.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I don't have a lot of experience with lamp flickering, mostly because we only see a projector for, on average, 24-30 hours of runtime. Just due to the sheer number of projectors we have to review, we don't have time to do longevity testing on lamps - remember, 2,000 hours is almost three months of constant running.

The one time I can remember seeing flicker was on a lamp that died on me within four hours.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

God you guys are really tempting me to replace my Infocus X1 with a 720P projector.

I'm going to hold out though. If I can make it to summertime 1080p will be $1500 and before xmas next year it may hit the magic $1000 mark.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Scrapez posted:

God you guys are really tempting me to replace my Infocus X1 with a 720P projector.

I'm going to hold out though. If I can make it to summertime 1080p will be $1500 and before xmas next year it may hit the magic $1000 mark.

Jumping from an InFocus X1 to even a low end 720p projector would drop your loving jaw, and you would no longer care about 1080p.

I forget sometimes that most people don't upgrade very often, so your post confused me. Surely he can't mean the InFocus X1. That thing was obsolete in 2004. It's SVGA. He must have made a mistake and typed the wrong thing.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

Jumping from an InFocus X1 to even a low end 720p projector would drop your loving jaw, and you would no longer care about 1080p.

I forget sometimes that most people don't upgrade very often, so your post confused me. Surely he can't mean the InFocus X1. That thing was obsolete in 2004. It's SVGA. He must have made a mistake and typed the wrong thing.

HA! I know man. I have a few friends with dedicated theaters and 720P projectors and they look amazing.

I should really stop being a cheapass since I have a dedicated room with a wet bar, nice audio equipment and seating. The X1 is like a dinosaur chillin in the back of the room.

Once I get that tax return back it is going to be extremely difficult not to drop 800 bucks on a new projector.

One thing I have a problem with is throw distance. Where I have my mount, it's like 17 feet from lens to screen.

The spot I eventually want to mount the projector will be 19 feet from lens to screen. My screen is only 120" and it seems like a lot of newer projectors can't display that small of an image at 19 feet throw.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Scrapez posted:

The spot I eventually want to mount the projector will be 19 feet from lens to screen. My screen is only 120" and it seems like a lot of newer projectors can't display that small of an image at 19 feet throw.

Anything with a 2.0:1 zoom should do that just fine. Like this or this or this or even this.

That mounting arrangement does limit you to LCD, more or less, because I don't know of any DLP 720p or 1080p projectors with that kind of zoom. LCoS can sometimes pull it off, but they are waaaay outside your budget. Lucky you, the cheapest 1080p on the market can do that arrangement just fine! ;)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

King Hotpants posted:

Anything with a 2.0:1 zoom should do that just fine. Like this or this or this or even this.

That mounting arrangement does limit you to LCD, more or less, because I don't know of any DLP 720p or 1080p projectors with that kind of zoom. LCoS can sometimes pull it off, but they are waaaay outside your budget. Lucky you, the cheapest 1080p on the market can do that arrangement just fine! ;)

Hey what do you do for a living King Hotpants? You know your poo poo backwards and forwards.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

BonoMan posted:

Hey what do you do for a living King Hotpants? You know your poo poo backwards and forwards.

I review home theater projectors. :)

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

King Hotpants posted:

Ha! I'm running a Phillips ProScreen 4750, which is nearing 10 years old. The main issue is the horrible contrast ratio, but it's still sweet to play Xbox 360 on, hooked up via VGA. New projectors are so expensive :(

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
Infocus X1 user checking in. WOO WOO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmaiderer
Oct 26, 2007
Laserbeams? Check.
I've had the HC4900 for a couple weeks now ($1399 total from from projectorpeople.com, hell yes) and the thing is just amazing. Granted, this is my first big projector so I'm not an expert by any means, but the image this thing throws just blows people away. TF2 at 120 inches on my 360 is incredible. One minor annoyance is the auto iris. In certain mostly dark scenes you can really notice the iris adjusting and making everything darker. I haven't really messed around with the settings though, so hopefully you can turn it off.

• Locked thread