Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
It's finally about time to move on from my busted Squier pawn-shop special, and I'm thinking about a Fender Jazz.

Is the American really worth it, or is the MIM just fine?

Further, what does everyone think of the Geddy Lee Special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

It's finally about time to move on from my busted Squier pawn-shop special, and I'm thinking about a Fender Jazz.

Is the American really worth it, or is the MIM just fine?

Further, what does everyone think of the Geddy Lee Special?

When it comes to fender, IMO it's all about propabilites. You're less likely to get a shoddily made instrument if you buy an American made, and Mexican basses are less likely to be poo poo than Korean ones. Try em out, see what fits your hand best. I know bassist who think their mid-90s MiM basses are the best in the world. Some swear by late 70s - early 80s Japanese stuff. I play an American made P, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Geddy Lee one has a fairly thin neck, even compared to a normal Jazz bass.

I narrowed down my selection to:
- Geddy Lee MIM Jazz ($900 new iirc)
- 74' (iirc) American Re-issue Jazz ($1800 new)
- MIJ Jazz Bass ($1K new)

Just need to have that coin floating around to finalize my decision.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Sockington posted:

The Geddy Lee one has a fairly thin neck, even compared to a normal Jazz bass.

I narrowed down my selection to:
- Geddy Lee MIM Jazz ($900 new iirc)
- 74' (iirc) American Re-issue Jazz ($1800 new)
- MIJ Jazz Bass ($1K new)

Just need to have that coin floating around to finalize my decision.

That sounds good. From the Basses I've tried, thin necks always seemed more comfortable. Thanks for the advice, both of you.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The Geddy has the '70s pickup spacing, which is something to consider. The tonal difference from the standard '60s spacing isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable. I personally prefer the "rounder" sound of Jazz basses with rosewood fingerboards and the '60s spacing, but depending on your style, the Geddy might be perfect for you.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

The Geddy has the '70s pickup spacing, which is something to consider. The tonal difference from the standard '60s spacing isn't huge, but it's definitely noticeable. I personally prefer the "rounder" sound of Jazz basses with rosewood fingerboards and the '60s spacing, but depending on your style, the Geddy might be perfect for you.

I need to see if I can find a shop with one. Well, I have plenty of time before I can really afford to blow a cool grand on an instrument, anyway.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Have you ever thought about a Lakland 44-60? A used Skyline version goes for less than the three Fenders that you're looking at and I find that Lakland's tend to be a lot more consistent than Fender's.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
We lost Jack Bruce today: http://www.jackbruce.com/

Time for some Disraeli Gears, at the highest possible volume. RIP.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

RIP Jack, my first influence and the man who first showed that the bass guitar can do really cool stuff.

Check out his album A Question of Time, really good stuff.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There are some great youtubes of Bruce performing, and apart from his sheer physical dexterity (the stuff he could sing over that playing!), his songwriting talent is astonishing.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'm at a loss. I can not seem to find Warwick's brand security/strap locks anywhere. I mean, I could just go out and buy a set of Schallers and have them installed, but I would really have liked to not mess around with any wood on my Corvette. If there are any Warwick owners with extra locks, or know someplace to pick up a set, please let me know.

I know they're unpopular, but it is crazy how hard they are to find, let alone for U.S. sale.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Can anyone recommend some basic exercises for improving my slapping accuracy? I'm coming from guitar and have a good sense of rhythm so my fundamentals are fairly solid and it turns out I can also slap fairly fast... But only on the two lowest strings. On the higher ones I tend to miss or otherwise don't get the note to ring out. Maybe it's because I'm not used to how the bass sits on me compared to guitars (my sore shoulder says this might be the case) but yeah, some basic exercises would be really handy.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Higher strings you should really be popping rather than slapping. But anyway just do a basic blues scales slowly up and down the neck (while slapping) and slowly go faster.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You should be able to use the thumb across all strings. Think of slap/pop technique as a similar deal as hybrid picking on guitar.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I'm at a loss. I can not seem to find Warwick's brand security/strap locks anywhere.

They should just be Dunlops. Or at least, they were last time I owned a Warwick.

Also, I realized this summer makes seven years since I got my first Stambaugh. Still the best bass I've ever laid hands on.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You should be able to use the thumb across all strings. Think of slap/pop technique as a similar deal as hybrid picking on guitar.

They should just be Dunlops. Or at least, they were last time I owned a Warwick.

Also, I realized this summer makes seven years since I got my first Stambaugh. Still the best bass I've ever laid hands on.

I'll take my chances since Dunlops are more readily available. Some people complain about mismatch issues, or that the recessed strap lock design is just inherently bad, but if it doesn't work I can return it more easily. I've found some better Warwick strap lock retailers, even in the US, and found a price point that only fucks me over minorly, so if the Dunlops don't work, I'll look there; and, if that doesn't work, I'll just have to use a soft leather strap and/or lock it on with some plastic.

Also that is a great looking bass. I really like the pickup design and rock maple necks are just bitchen. Can't speak for the preamp, though, I've yet to ever use anything but passive. Might put a preamp in the Warwick, one day, if I hang on to it long enough.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Right now it's an Aguilar OBP3 but I'm considering going to a Nordstrand (to match the pickups) or a Pope preamp just to get a little more controllable response from the bass knob. The Aguilar doesn't have anything between flat and HUGE bass. I just want a tiny little bump. I love this bass so much, though, that I don't really want to risk screwing it up. I'll probably do the new pre in another bass first and see which I like.

There are a shitload of knobs but it's not anything that crazy (a normal Jazz setup + 3 band.) I just don't like stacked knobs or push-pull knobs that much as I've had lots of reliability issues on them in the past.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Awesome, thanks for the advice. One more thing, how many watts would a tube amp need to be to keep up with drums through a single 1x15" closed back cab?
I got myself a combo with a non-working head at a bargain and will get a proper bass head eventually, but for the time being I'm just using guitar heads through it and seeing as I only need to be heard over a drummer for what I'm currently doing the limited EQ control isn't really an issue if I'm loud enough.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 1, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been obsessing lately with EBMM, PRS, etc "innovative" futurefuckery instruments and decided this morning I was going to finally figure out my Bongo 5. I've had it for about 2 years and never could bond with it. Considering the price it was a huge letdown that it didn't work out at first but I'm really clicking with it now. The versatility is insane and I'm glad I finally did research and set down and really focused on how it works with my amp. It's just not a bass you pick up and play like you would a random jazz bass. Anyway, main point is that I'm fascinated by the instruments these companies make. Mainly EBMM. They're polarizing with the weird designs and some of the people running the show and that's okay, but some of the guitars are so well thought out that it's easy for people like me to reject them because of tradition. I've been so into vintage style gear that it's refreshing to break away a little towards newer ideas and experiments.

tl;dr i'm tgp money wasting scum and i love it

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is a gorgeous bass, wow. Looks incredibly comfy with those fat curves too.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sleepflower posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. One more thing, how many watts would a tube amp need to be to keep up with drums through a single 1x15" closed back cab?
I got myself a combo with a non-working head at a bargain and will get a proper bass head eventually, but for the time being I'm just using guitar heads through it and seeing as I only need to be heard over a drummer for what I'm currently doing the limited EQ control isn't really an issue if I'm loud enough.

I get by with a 100w tube head (v4) into a ported 1x15 (peavey black widow) against two guitars and a hard hitting drummer just fine.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been obsessing lately with EBMM, PRS, etc "innovative" futurefuckery instruments and decided this morning I was going to finally figure out my Bongo 5. I've had it for about 2 years and never could bond with it. Considering the price it was a huge letdown that it didn't work out at first but I'm really clicking with it now. The versatility is insane and I'm glad I finally did research and set down and really focused on how it works with my amp. It's just not a bass you pick up and play like you would a random jazz bass. Anyway, main point is that I'm fascinated by the instruments these companies make. Mainly EBMM. They're polarizing with the weird designs and some of the people running the show and that's okay, but some of the guitars are so well thought out that it's easy for people like me to reject them because of tradition. I've been so into vintage style gear that it's refreshing to break away a little towards newer ideas and experiments.

tl;dr i'm tgp money wasting scum and i love it

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just bought a Bongo 5 HH myself, received on Friday and I'm in love with it. I thought they looked stupid for ages (toilet seat huehue), but one day the look clicked for me and I had to have one.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

FancyMike posted:

I get by with a 100w tube head (v4) into a ported 1x15 (peavey black widow) against two guitars and a hard hitting drummer just fine.

Fantastic, I managed to sell a couple of amps I wasn't using yesterday so I might just get a proper bass head anyway but either way that means my dumb little project might be a go. Thanks!

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
I feel like I should probably post in here, since I've been playing bass since middle school and when people ask me what I do I tell them "musician" even though I also wait tables.

I think I need some gear advice. I've always loved the sound of a stupidly large Ampeg SVT. In particular, I like my tone warm and very growly, with absolutely no spring or shimmer. I currently play a Rickenbacker with flatwounds, and I'm thinking about getting an EB-0, if that gives you an idea as to the sort of sound I'm going for.

Given that spending a few thousand dollars on a giant stack is not feasible for me at the moment, are there any more economical amps I should be looking into? I'm currently running a 400W solid-state Genz-Benz, if that gives you a rough idea of how much power I need. I'm not picky about the technical specifications of the amp, though, as long as it can get me that tone.

HisFlyingFingers fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 3, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I don't personally care for them, but everyone here is probably going to recommend you look into the VT Bass.

Old V-4s can still be found for $5-600 if you look hard and want a real Ampeg. The V-4 is like a baby SVT that is lighter (barely) and breaks up at a more reasonable volume but is still definitely loud enough. Just don't buy a 40 year old tube amp without a little extra money put away for repairs and maintenance.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

It's not possible to take pictures of this that look remotely as good as it does in person.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Revvik posted:

It's not possible to take pictures of this that look remotely as good as it does in person.

Nice! I'm pretty jealous... How are you liking it so far?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Nice! I'm pretty jealous... How are you liking it so far?

It was worth it, thanks for the heads up. Comparing it to my American Fender P: lighter, slimmer neck go without saying, but there's also just a lot more character and versatility in the sound, the hardware is a lot nicer, etc. I regretted the pearl block inlays and neck binding when I placed the order and almost called back to change back to black dots, but that changed when I saw in person how subtle and bright it is. Bright is really the word for the maple, too.

Judging by Dan's comments on the phone, I'm pretty sure I picked up the only purple one, so no one take that away from me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey guys, I've been playing bass a decent while now but I've always had the same problem. I can never properly play the top string. And I don't mean the E string, I mean the TOP string. If I play a 5 string, I can hit E just fine, but I can never properly play the B string.

For example: On a four string bass whenever I play the E string it always feels awkward and tough, and I can never keep rythym or play fast. The same thing happens on the B when I play a 5 string. Anyone know how to fix this?

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HisFlyingFingers posted:

I think I need some gear advice. I've always loved the sound of a stupidly large Ampeg SVT. In particular, I like my tone warm and very growly, with absolutely no spring or shimmer. I currently play a Rickenbacker with flatwounds, and I'm thinking about getting an EB-0, if that gives you an idea as to the sort of sound I'm going for.

I just picked up a Mesa Boogie D180 and I would think it would satisfy your requirements, through a decent cab. The only sound you really can't get out of it is "extremely loud and extremely clean." The tone starts to grow some hair when you crank it up. I like that personally. Last time I looked there were a couple for sale on talkbass for 6-700 bucks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kvlt! posted:

Hey guys, I've been playing bass a decent while now but I've always had the same problem. I can never properly play the top string. And I don't mean the E string, I mean the TOP string. If I play a 5 string, I can hit E just fine, but I can never properly play the B string.

For example: On a four string bass whenever I play the E string it always feels awkward and tough, and I can never keep rythym or play fast. The same thing happens on the B when I play a 5 string. Anyone know how to fix this?

You'll probably want to describe your hand technique here, including what you do when you play the other strings (does your hand rest on them?) and if you anchor your thumb anywhere. This is with fingers and not a pick, right?

Might help to look at a few videos - there are a few techniques so I'm not saying 'go with this', but as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAYIfITgpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSAd29kJ0o

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just bought a Bongo 5 HH myself, received on Friday and I'm in love with it. I thought they looked stupid for ages (toilet seat huehue), but one day the look clicked for me and I had to have one.

I go back and forth on the look. It's amazing how it manages to look like an awesome retrofuture leviathanesque space ship while also looking like a funky toilet. I dig it. If you want a cool experiment try throwing some EB Cobalts on it. They're not for everyone but they give you a very aggressive growl matched with the Bongo.

Also just passing along a tip that has gone a long way for me when it comes to dialing in the bass. Set your amp flat and the bass at about 75% volume and use the onboard controls to get the tone you want. Then adjust your amp depending on where you want your base sound to be. It helped me a lot considering the bongo can be a little too powerful and tweakable for it's own good.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I actually started doing that right off the bat and found it great to work with. I have a Hartke HA2500 head and I kinda find the 10 band EQ a bit overwhelming - I spend more time messing with knobs than actually playing. It's kind of a relief to have decent controls on my bass.

I got a Darkglass B7K in the same week so I'm having a lot of fun right now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Revvik posted:

It was worth it, thanks for the heads up. Comparing it to my American Fender P: lighter, slimmer neck go without saying, but there's also just a lot more character and versatility in the sound, the hardware is a lot nicer, etc. I regretted the pearl block inlays and neck binding when I placed the order and almost called back to change back to black dots, but that changed when I saw in person how subtle and bright it is. Bright is really the word for the maple, too.

Judging by Dan's comments on the phone, I'm pretty sure I picked up the only purple one, so no one take that away from me.

Awesome.

Dan's a great guy to deal with, definitely a bass player's bass builder.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I think I have a similar issue. I like to pluck "through" the string and hit the next one (while also resting my thumb on it). Playing the lowest string feels a little floaty to me, since there's no next string to provide tactile feedback. Is that what you're describing?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Would installing a thumb rest give you that anchor point you're looking for? Or is that encouraging a crutch?

Just don't know my bass faux-pas.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Sockington posted:

Would installing a thumb rest give you that anchor point you're looking for? Or is that encouraging a crutch?

Just don't know my bass faux-pas.

Thumbs rests and pull bars alike are okay in my book. There's also anchoring on the string, at the pickup, at the neck socket, or even choosing a minor detail like a screw on a pickguard that feels right to you. We can't always be free floating the right hand. I mean, we can, my wrist gets sore after a while, though.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

Revvik posted:

That is a sharp looking bass.
I don't see specs on pick-ups on their site, any idea what kind they are?

edit: I should probably read your other post. How much does something like that run?

Chimbley Sweep fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 5, 2014

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
$675 down, $675 when finished (usually $50 less but *~inlays~*). I don't remember any details on the pickups, he may have some info on his site somewhere.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
They're in-house. I'm willing to bet they're probably identical to the Lakland pickups. Hell, Hanson may even be winding them for him as well...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i love purple :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
What's the Goon Consensus on ~200 practice amps? I don't need a lot of gizmos, just enough to keep up with other lovely players, portability, an MP3 input and headphone option. A compressor is very nice, but not essential. I like the feel of a 12", so I'm looking at the Hartkey stuff, the B600 is now around $200.

If the best answer is to kick it up the spend by $100 or so I'm open to that too. The cube seems to be nice but doesn't seem to feel as good as 12".

Remulak fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 5, 2014