Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
One weird trick to fix 1/3 clappers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3iaURppQw
Pay attention at ~0:39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've been so tempted to do something like that...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm not coordinated enough to do that.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I remember hearing about a German heavy metal band where the bassist stopped the song entirely because the audience was clapping out of time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I remember hearing about a German heavy metal band where the bassist stopped the song entirely because the audience was clapping out of time.

It may be heavy metal, but the dude's still German.

Clapping out-of-time has been proven to reduce entertainment efficiency and has even been known to cause accuracy to fall by up to 10 points.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I've been playing (badly) on and off for years, and am finally taking lessons to improve said bad playing. That being said, I'm in the market for a new bass. I've been banging around on an old lovely Squier Affinity p-bass. I really like the look, sound, and feel of the epiphone tbirds, but I'm confused as to which one to look into buying between the regular IV, the classic IV, and the classic pro.

It seems like the biggest difference, aside from price, is in the pups and whether it's active or not. Does anyone have any insight? Musically my preferences tend towards punk and post-punk, with my favorite bass sounds being the likes of Peter Hook, Simon Gallup of the Cure, etc.

Or, barring that, is there a decent priced semi-hollow i could look for? Budget is around $3-$500.

ExplodingChef fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I will preface this by saying that you absolutely should buy the thing that makes you feel like a badass, that makes you feel amazing, that makes you want to get home from work and just play bass until you fall asleep - and if the T-bird is that thing then you should buy one.

But, man...Gibson / Epi just flat out don't do basses well in my opinion. Bad pickups, bad ergos. Have you played the T-bird on a strap yet for any period of time? If you haven't, make sure you do and pay attention to how much you have to hold the bass up with your left hand compared to your P-bass.

Decent priced semi-hollow, I like the Ibanez ones, but they're short scale (good for neck dive issues on an instrument with very little upper strap horn, but definitely sound and feel different.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ExplodingChef posted:

I've been playing (badly) on and off for years, and am finally taking lessons to improve said bad playing. That being said, I'm in the market for a new bass. I've been banging around on an old lovely Squier Affinity p-bass. I really like the look, sound, and feel of the epiphone tbirds, but I'm confused as to which one to look into buying between the regular IV, the classic IV, and the classic pro.

It seems like the biggest difference, aside from price, is in the pups and whether it's active or not. Does anyone have any insight? Musically my preferences tend towards punk and post-punk, with my favorite bass sounds being the likes of Peter Hook, Simon Gallup of the Cure, etc.

Or, barring that, is there a decent priced semi-hollow i could look for? Budget is around $3-$500.

Have you ever thought about jazz basses?

For active vs passive its all up to preference in tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i6QVGDkKkw

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ExplodingChef posted:

The Classic IV is closest to a traditional Thunderbird. Neck-through, humbuckers, passive electronics. If you don't care about neck-through, the regular models can be had pretty cheap though. On my local craigslist there are four, ranging from $175-320.

For hollowbodies, at the top of your price range you can probably find a used Epiphone Jack Casady. There's also the Fender Starcaster, but I didn't like the one I tried out because of the bridge. It is Fender's copy of the Badass, and because of the arched top on the bass the intonation adjustment screws sit at an angle and stick out higher than the strings.

I agree with Deuce Sluce in regards to Gibson basses in general (I say that as an owner of a Gibson Grabber and Epiphone ET-275). Some look cool, but the sound and playability can be lacking. However the Thunderbird is pretty well established, and if you like the look and sound and can find one that doesn't neck dive, go for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Well, you talked me out of a Thunderbird also. I have a Firebird that I really like, and wanted a bass to goof around on Rocksmith with. I'll probably just pick up one of the Squier Vintage modified Jags that go on sale for $150 sometime later.

Fun fact: do a Google image search for"bass neck drop" and about half of the first page results are Thunderbirds.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Those $150 Squiers are usually the short scale versions, so make sure before you order.

I wouldn't completely give up on Thunderbirds if you like them, it shouldn't be hard to find one that doesn't neck dive, and it's not like it will suddenly develop that after owning it a couple years.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Peter Hook is probably best known for using the old Yamaha BB1200, believe it or not. He likes the preamp from those basses so much that he had it put into whatever custom he plays these days.

So maybe you want some kind of P bass with an active preamp?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Like 90% of Peter Hook's sound was an EHX Chorus Theory pedal, so get one of those

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I had an epiphone Thunderbird, for a while, I don't really miss it.

That being said, Gibson/Epi basses can be cool, and make a decent bass for mods. For example, Mike Watt's EB-3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am indecisive and ended up just buying the Thunderbird. I had a great time tooling around on Rocksmith with it for the last few hours.

edit:
I think buying instruments should follow the buying motorcycles or guns rule, which is that you should feel good buying almost anything you want if you can get it at the right price, because you can always sell it later

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I am indecisive and ended up just buying the Thunderbird. I had a great time tooling around on Rocksmith with it for the last few hours.

edit:
I think buying instruments should follow the buying motorcycles or guns rule, which is that you should feel good buying almost anything you want if you can get it at the right price, because you can always sell it later

I'm still a bit sad that I couldn't enjoy any of the Thunderbirds I tried out. They look so drat cool! I found that they were pretty comfortable to hold too, they just felt somehow "off" to me when actually playing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 27, 2016

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Go for it, if it sucks return it.

I had a 2013 Thunderbird because I could not stand the 12th fret inlaid plaque, and haha nope at the price of 2015 models. No neck dive whatsoever. Bass was actually light (felt kind of delicate). I wasn't crazy about the sound, and at the time I think the string spacing felt tight to me. Since then I got heavier into VI's so LOL at worrying about the TB's spacing, but what's done is done.

Put in for a deposit on a Stingray5 classic in starry night. I am dumb and bad with money.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jonithen posted:

Put in for a deposit on a Stingray5 classic in starry night. I am dumb and bad with money.

I love that finish. My Sterling HS is in the natural gloss and it is kinda boring. I'd buy that Starry Night in a heartbeat if I could come up with an excuse.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i just did zeke covers fingerstyle for 3 hours, my whole hand and arm is sore

going from mid tempo bullshit to this, goddamn i gotta start practising more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jSnwr7McA

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
So I came across one of these the other day.

Ibanez dtb400b
Limited edition run for 2016, apparently Ibanez have been doing these ltd runs once a year for a while, picking a random classic guitar.
Haven't seen these in public catalogues and only 15 were sent to Australia.
Needless to say, I put money down on it...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm not generally a fan of that kind of thing, but that one is cool as hell.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Just wondering if anybody here is using a Marshall Super Bass for their bass guitar? I am asking because I have just started playing bass recently and I already own this amp head for my electric guitar. I bought a 250W SWR solid state for my bass but I don't really like it. So im thinking of buying a speakers cabinet for my Super Bass and hope I get a decent tone.

I'm playing with a Paul Reed SE kingfisher.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

i just did zeke covers fingerstyle for 3 hours, my whole hand and arm is sore

going from mid tempo bullshit to this, goddamn i gotta start practising more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jSnwr7McA

Hell yeah, Zeke owns. Death Alley is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Finally got my Pure Blues in the right gauge. Now to break them in.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Frog 1.0 posted:

Just wondering if anybody here is using a Marshall Super Bass for their bass guitar? I am asking because I have just started playing bass recently and I already own this amp head for my electric guitar. I bought a 250W SWR solid state for my bass but I don't really like it. So im thinking of buying a speakers cabinet for my Super Bass and hope I get a decent tone.

I'm playing with a Paul Reed SE kingfisher.

The 100 watt tube amp? Like this guy used to play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91QIMu9CVrI

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I am very excited and I needed to tell the internet about it.

I've been working on getting my act together for a couple years now after being lame and quitting music for like a decade. Finally after a few encouraging words from the guy I've been taking lessons for like the last year and a half, I started putting out craigslist feelers. After two months of nothing all of a sudden I started getting responses. A few people thinking about starting something whole cloth, and two different bands looking to fill vacancy. One band shared some of their songs and I really like what they've got. I put together a fairly simple bassline for one so far, will get to work on the others. Waiting to hear the response from them, meeting some of the other people this weekend. Even if nothing comes from it, it's awesome to have some feeling of movement and a sense of it being possible after being out for so long.

Definitely find someone to do lessons with, and work that stupid metronome. I know I've got a long way to go, but it's awesome to go from "How do I bass" to actually being able to put something down to what other people are playing without having it all mapped out for me already or just staring at my fretboard with a bewildered expression. Something has been paying off, and I'll be including a six pack along with the weekly tuition at my next lesson.

If any of these options pan out I might have to take a hard look at upping my amplifier game, so far amplitube on the mac and my rumble 350 combo have been more than enough, not sure what I'll need to do next if they don't cut it, but I can cross that bridge when I get to it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
So, I'm really liking the DR Pure Blues. I'm using a 40-100 set with a 120 B on my Dingwall, and the tension is nicely balanced. Comparing them to Nickel Lo-Riders, I'd say they have a bit less tension, and a bit more low mid presence, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I still need to try the Sunbeams, but the Pure Blues seem like keepers right now.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Last night a bass player broke his E string halfway through a song - he wasn't thrashing it or anything, it just kind of snapped. He didn't have another bass and no one had extra strings so he kind of had to play without it. I felt so bad for him, but now I resolve to never be without an extra set of strings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Christabel posted:

Last night a bass player broke his E string halfway through a song - he wasn't thrashing it or anything, it just kind of snapped. He didn't have another bass and no one had extra strings so he kind of had to play without it. I felt so bad for him, but now I resolve to never be without an extra set of strings.

Yeah, every time a bass string has broken on me, it wasn't because I was playing especially--or even a little--rough. It just snapped. The core did, anyway. The wrappings keep it together a bit, but it drops way out of tune and goes slack, and then you notice the windings unraveling. Sucks.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I had one go on a dumb highschool gig, I don't think I was playing excessively hard. Ibanez soundgear something or other 5 string, it was either the B or E, dont exactly recall.

Other than that, every single time I have restrung a flatwound string it has blown. I take them off carefully, I reload them carefully, and bang gone somewhere between nut and tuning peg. It has to be the way I'm loading the things in the first place.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jonithen posted:

I had one go on a dumb highschool gig, I don't think I was playing excessively hard. Ibanez soundgear something or other 5 string, it was either the B or E, dont exactly recall.

Other than that, every single time I have restrung a flatwound string it has blown. I take them off carefully, I reload them carefully, and bang gone somewhere between nut and tuning peg. It has to be the way I'm loading the things in the first place.

When you trim the end of the string when re-stringing, be sure you take some needle-nose pliers and make a bend where you're going to trim, before making the cut. That'll help prevent snapping the core.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

When you trim the end of the string when re-stringing, be sure you take some needle-nose pliers and make a bend where you're going to trim, before making the cut. That'll help prevent snapping the core.

This can't be said enough times. I haven't broken a single string since I started doing the bending trick.

I also like to leave the strings as long as possible, so they're wound all the way around the post to the bottom. I dunno if this helps or not, but it seems to work for me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

This can't be said enough times. I haven't broken a single string since I started doing the bending trick.

I also like to leave the strings as long as possible, so they're wound all the way around the post to the bottom. I dunno if this helps or not, but it seems to work for me.

By leaving it long so it winds down to the bottom of the post, you are also helping to increase the break angle of the string at the nut. This helps with intonation, sustain and tone.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Scarf posted:

Thank you! I will keep this in mind. I never have problems with the initial load, it is only if I take them off to put rounds or something on, then decide to try the flats again and have never once been successfully reloading them. I know it should be doable because apparently there are people who trade used strings all day long.

Fortunately I do have a set that I took off, I can use that to measure the appropriate string length and do the bend as suggested. I might try doing more windings, the magic number 3 wraps is usually my default. I can do more next time around if you guys think it will make a difference.

I was starting to wonder if I was just stressing that part of the string too much when installing it in the first place, I try to keep it pulled somewhat taut so the first wrap or two aren't absurdly loose, but I wasn't giving it a death grip or anything.

I just popped a set of tapewounds on my jazz bass, the combination of new pickups and my go to roto 66's was just too harsh. Loving this so far, if / when the tapes stop doing it for me I think I'm going to give flats one more go, since these things seem to give me the best results with more mellow strings so this is really good stuff to get sorted out before another $30+ goes down.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Just got some Thomastik flatwounds, they still sound a bit clanky but they feel so good.
Somehow they sound more even too. I previously had Elixir rounds on and the thinner strings were a bit quieter. With these the G is as loud as the E.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

Just got some Thomastik flatwounds, they still sound a bit clanky

Does the clank go away eventually? I just got a set of those, but wound up trading in the bass I was going to put them on, so now they don't have a home, or they're backup for the EB-2, which still sounds magical to me, so I'm disinclined to gently caress with it.

I just saved a Guild B-30E from getting traded in by putting tapewounds on it. It was never loud enough before, but the tapes encourage banging on it a bit, and they bring enough high end to the sound of it without making roundwound noise. It's stupidly fun now.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

By all accounts it does go away with time.

I've heard of some trick to get rid of the stickiness straight away, but I can't remember what it was, and that will also go with time too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone ever changed climate with their basses? Particularly from an incredibly humid sub-tropic to temperate/arid.

I'm moving from Charleston SC to Denver CO in a few days, and I'm well aware that I'm going to experience some fretboard shrinkage, but that should even out over time. I'm also worried about neck warpage... Should I completely loosen the truss-rods and strings on all my basses for the move?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Just loosen the strings, and when you get there crack the case open, and let it adjust. Don't mess with the truss rod. You'll be fine, I've taken my bass and guitars from Austin Tx, to Chicago, to Brooklyn, to Charleston, to Miami, to Nashville, all with in the span of a few weeks, playing every night and everywhere inbetween. It's not as big a deal as you think. If your fretboard is pretty poris, hit it with some wood oil.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

It wouldn't hurt to have some sort of humidity gauge to throw in the case, to monitor/ quantify the changes over time. I've got a little $15 digital temp/humidity monitor that sits in the room with my instruments, plenty of similar ones on Amazon. Also look up a music shop or luthier near where you are moving in Denver, in case you need to go get a Dampit or something if things dry out too fast for your liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Contrary advice: Don't loosen the strings, and leave the instrument in its case for a while (you will probably be busy unpacking other poo poo anyways) before opening it.