Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a reasonable price reduction to expect when you're looking at used basses? I found a couple of options on craigslist, and I'm not sure whether they're good options.

One is an Epiphone Thunderbird IV for $195 (regular $299), the other is an Ibanez 5-string that is most likely a GSR105 with a gig bag for $150 (regular $250). Is one a better deal than the other/a better choice for an experienced guitarist but a beginning bassist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FancyMike posted:

What the above poster said about grabbing one of the nicer Squiers used is pretty good advice, especially if you're looking for something a little more traditional in sound.

Well, we're not actually looking for a more traditional sound, but I don't have enough experience with basses to really know what the range is. We're going to be using the bass almost exclusively for various types of metal. I also used to have a Squier guitar, and was not particularly fond of it, but I don't know if that's indicative of the brand.

I've also run into an LTD F-205 5 string that's in great shape. Anybody have an opinion on that one? In the meantime I'll see if I can track down some Squiers to give 'em a whirl.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Has anybody used a Sansamp? A friend of mine speaks really highly of them, but I'm curious if anybody here has experience with them.

They're here for those who are interested: http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/index.html

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's everyone's opinion on Aguilar gear? Last night we had a bassist playing through Aguilar head & cab and it sounded pretty lifeless. I've never run into the brand before now, so I'm just curious if that's a common aspect of these amps, or if the guy just didn't have it set up well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good book/web resource on bass method? I'm a fairly experienced guitarist, and just picked up a bass. I know there's going to be a different approach to bass playing, and I'd like to start off right.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

I was blown away the first time I heard a solo track of James Jamerson on the Motown classics, not just because his playing is so good, but because his tone is a lot more distorted than I had imagined it would be. In the mix with the rest of the band, however, it cuts perfectly, and sounds like pure liquid gold.

This why those "I use this gear" articles that show up in magazines and around the internet can be so misleading. A lot of instrumentalists, even really great ones, don't have a great understanding of how recording engineers alter their sound and why. So instances like these arise where an aspiring instrumentalist will emulate their idol's sound exactly only to discover that their idol would sound like toasty crap without the rest of the band.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Certis Baliano posted:

Seeing as I have no musical experience whatsoever, I have to ask; what in the world is a pickup, what is it used for and why does it even matter when looking for a bass guitar?

Google has all the answers you need on this question.

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_guitar_buying_guide/bass_electronics.html

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_guitar_buying_guide/bass_pickups_1.html

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_guitar_buying_guide/bass_pickups_2.html

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a decent entry level small-scale bass combo amp? I've been practicing without an amp for a while now, but I need to hear what's going on in order to progress. Also, I'd like to use the amp for recording in a variety of styles, so I'd like something that has good sound without a ton of coloration. It's never (I say that now) going to be used in a live situation so I'm not concerned with output levels.

I know the Roland Cubes of various sizes get recommended all the time in this thread; am I wasting my time asking for a recommendation, or are there other good options out there in that price range?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been playing for a while now, not super-seriously, but I'm considering upgrading from my weird Dean knock-off humbucker something bass to an instrument I can actually identify that sounds a little better. I'm pretty much set on getting a 5-string, but beyond that I'm not sure where I should start. I saw some recommendations for the Ibanez Soundgear basses, and I'll definitely be checking those out, as my main guitar is an Ibanez and I've been joyously happy with it. What other brands do I definitely need to check out? I'm hoping to keep it under $600, and I'd be using it mostly for metal and hard rock, at least initially. How are the recent Squier models? I figure a Fender 5-string is out of my range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Scarf posted:

You'd be surprised. Don't rule out getting a nice used Fender 5'er. Or a nice used anything... Don't feel like you have to go new to get a good bass.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye out, but I'm pretty used-averse, having been taken on a couple of used gear purchases in the past.

That being said, I'll probably just stay off of Craigslist for this one, I'm less wary of music store used items. How do Guitar Center used items fare? It's kind of the only place nearby with much of a bass inventory.