Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Is it a really scooped sounding cab? If that's a guitar Big Muff, I'd expect you to lose some power anyway, which is why the bass version exists so you can blend the dry signal in and not lose the low end. (Looks like the Boss pedal does this too.) If it sounds good through the 8x10, maybe the 8x10 puts out more of the low frequencies the Big Muff lets through on bass.

If I were set on using that particular pedal with bass, I'd probably split the signal (y cable or ab/y box) and either recombine just before the Hartke or run the Big Muff into a different amp. I don't think you're ever going to get a full-sounding bass tone if you run it straight through the Big Muff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

As I understand it, 8x10s are likely to be better at punchy than 2x15s. It may depend on how it's voiced. My guess is there's porting going on that artificially boosts a low mid/upper end of bass portion of the signal, and the 2x15 doesn't boost that range. But it could also be badly reconed or broken or etc. My 2x15 is my favorite cab, but I like my bass rumbly, not punchy.

Recombining: just run the Y cable or AB/Y box backwards. Where it says IN, connect to amp. Connect A to A on your AB/Y. Connect B to the out of your Big Muff, and the input of that to B on the AB/Y. Set both AB/Y to Y or "both" or "A+B" or whatever.

While you're at it, put a chorus in after the Big Muff, maybe a phaser, etc. I sometimes will run a volume pedal after all that stuff, just before recombining, so that your effects always get a decent signal to work on, but you can bring in a little (or a lot) of chorus, fuzz, whatever, when you want a different sound for a riff or etc.

Rereading your post, I'm suspicious of the speaker reconing and modification job. A 2x15 isn't going to sound as focused as an 8x10, in my experience, but it should never sound anemic.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

My 4003 looks just like that, except I swapped the silver thing over the bridge pickup for some aftermarket thing that looks like more pick guard. It was in the way.

I wouldn't have picked it for its looks, but I got used to that, and I like the sound. Short scale is easier to play, for sure.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have a Flying V bass from 2011 or so. It is in fact muddy. I put flat wounds on it because why not. It's an interesting curiosity that's fun to play through an amp with 6550s or EL34s, but I wouldn't call it a great bass.

I do like EB-2s though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Look at the bass big muff in particular. It lets you blend the dry signal in so you don't lose low end. Alternately, you can use a boss line mixer or a y cable and a dod resistance mixer, or get the bass wired in stereo and only run distortion on the neck pickup.

I do that last, because I don't like the big muff tone as much as other fuzzes. If you do, problem solved.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Bassman 100T is worth looking at. I have been able to keep up with drums without problem. There's a pretty good post-power tube line out you can send to the PA if you want, but 100 tube watts has been plenty for me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CaseFace McGee posted:

Also, tapewounds are fantastic and everyone should use them. My bass has a very bright tone, so flats and tapewounds work very well for me. They rein in the trebly tone quite nicely, and I can bump up my tone knob to cut through without getting too obnoxious or honky while doing so.

I put tapewounds on my 4003 and got this result. Keeps the finger noise down. I liked flats, but they tended to chew up my fingers a bit.

I'm going to let the 4003 be the one bass with roundwounds. It's good at it, and growl is what that bass is for anyway. My favorite bass is a short scale Guild JS-II with tapewounds.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Strap locks. I use the Dunlop ones on all my guitars. Never a problem.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

Definitely. Always been a fan of La Bellas on my basses. I ordered the white nylon tapewounds because I've only tried the black before. They're supposed to be a bit brighter than the blacks, and I feel that will make it a bit better when I do upper-register chords and that kind of thing.

Post your impressions when you get them. I just discovered tapewounds a couple years ago, but haven't tried the white ones. I'm in love with the sound of the black ones, even on a dark-sounding bass.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

On a mono bass: MXR Stereo Chorus (not a bass-specific pedal but has a switch that keeps the low end dry), Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser with a plug in the second output jack to make it less obnoxious (sort of half a phaser at that point).

On a stereo bass, I'll keep the neck pickup dry, and run those two plus some kind of distortion on the bridge. I think I was using an Analogman Sun Lion, or just a bass-capable amp with distortion built in. I'm also pretty entertained by delay on bass, but really, chorus phaser and fuzz is plenty.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm aiming more at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo.

The LS-2 trick would work pretty well. I like running effects on the bridge pickup because it's less bassy and muddy, and emits more treble for the effect to work on. Could do something similar by just putting an EQ before the effects though. Lets me kill the treble on the neck if I want and get kind of a biamped sculpted sound, but it's just something I did because hey, stereo output, what can we do with this?

I like a bright, clear chorus on bass that can be dialed down to be reasonably subtle. It's too bad Roland never made a bass Jazz Chorus.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Look into getting a cheap used bass DI (direct injection) box, or use the line out on your amp, rather than plugging your bass directly into your sound card. It should give you more control over your tone and less noise. There are also audio interfaces made specifically for taking guitar-level input. Don't know which are any good, but the internet might. Quick research shows there are lots of sites that talk about this. Also, if your bass has active pickups, going straight into the sound card might be good enough to start.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 12, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I thought it was the other way around: guitar through a bass head. Me, I like guitar through a guitar head with a bass cab.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Maybe it sounds cool at low volume? I do like the sound of a Bassman as a bass amp, and I think those are only 60W. Now that I think about it, I think it depends a lot on the voicing of the amp and whether there's a high-pass filter going on. I've got a 100W Orange OR120 that makes a much better bass amp than the 200W Thunderverb. There's some guy in Holland that mods the Thunderverbs to work better as bass amps, which is weird because they're advertised as guitar/bass heads, but they're not that good at it.

Now I'm going to have to see how a Laney AOR does with bass. I do like the sound of EL34s on bass.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

himajinga posted:

I'm not used to having to play this fast on such thick strings or how often I'm having to fret 2 whole steps is in first position.

I can play a lot faster and more comfortably on a short scale bass with tapewound strings. Either or both of those might help, if it fits whatever sound you're going for.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't get the appeal of ricks. i've tried a few, they're really slick and feel nice but overall i think they're just style over substance.

I don't get this. I put up with the style because of the substance.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thread needs a curmudgeon.

Four strings, flat or tape wound, and tubes. That's what sounds good, and that's what you use.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Flatwounds, tone rolled off, deep bass eq, full fat low mids. If you can't feel it in your rib cage it doesn't need to come out of your amp.

Along these lines, I am now the proud owner of a 1968 Gibson EB-2D. Baritone switch in low-pass mode, neck pickup only, it makes this really Sabbathy noise, even though I don't think Butler used one. Flatwounds, though I'd really like to know what tapewounds would sound like on it. I've wanted one of these for about 25 years.

On tapewounds: I got a set on a bass I bought online. Purple silks, black tape, and I don't think they're La Bellas, because I bought a set and they feel different, and the silks are a different shade. Anyone know who else makes/made black and purple tapewounds?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been meaning to try a felt actually. I'm sure it could get close but as you said, the percussive sound of a finger coming to rest on the next string is a huge part of that deep bass tone. That's what I'm always missing.
I feel like tapewounds really bring this out too. I used a pick when I started, but fingers just feel right. More at one with the bass.

quote:

I bet that thing really rumbles. What does the baritone low pass do exactly?

Two modes, one that cuts lows, and one that cuts highs. It's a stateful push button switch. You never get the full sound of the bass, because you're always cutting something. I've read of a mod that puts a three way toggle in place of the push button, and adds a bypass for full sound. The low pass sounds really mellow and sweet up around the 12th fret.

I really don't get what they were trying to do with the bass cut. My Guilds have a similar feature. I guess it would let you get a tic-tac sound? I just don't like honky bass, I guess.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't see the usual different colored ball ends that D'Addario seems to do, but that's worth a try. Thanks!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Except when it's tapewounds.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If there was room for three tones, mid-scooped Rickenbacker has its uses.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sorry, don't know anything about solid state bass heads. Find out what kind of cab it is and if it's got the original speakers, and then you can find out online what that cab is rated for, if it doesn't just tell you on the back, which I think most will.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

Just got some Thomastik flatwounds, they still sound a bit clanky

Does the clank go away eventually? I just got a set of those, but wound up trading in the bass I was going to put them on, so now they don't have a home, or they're backup for the EB-2, which still sounds magical to me, so I'm disinclined to gently caress with it.

I just saved a Guild B-30E from getting traded in by putting tapewounds on it. It was never loud enough before, but the tapes encourage banging on it a bit, and they bring enough high end to the sound of it without making roundwound noise. It's stupidly fun now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like phaser, chorus, fuzz and reverb. Generally prefer to have just the bridge pickup go through any effects, keeping the low end untouched. I won't claim any of them are essential, and most of the time I don't play with any at all.

Phaser or chorus I'll keep pretty subtle. The way I run the phaser, it just puts a shimmer around whatever I'm playing, and I use it when I want to stand out more. Chorus is for when the song needs to sound prettier overall, I guess. Kind of a touch of goth/post-punk, not very overt. Reverb is for a specific couple of songs where a weird haunting bass sounds good. Fuzz I never get to use in a group unless we're just loving around but it's fun as hell.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

P bass body and pickup + Jazz neck is the Fender configuration I like.

I played this once and really liked it. Never got one though.

Is there anything a Precision can do that a Jazz can't?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

here's my dream bass:

no idea how it sounds like, never seen or heard one. i just really like the way it looks. if i wasn't so much in love with P basses i'd get one straight away

I forgot what these are called, but I played one unplugged for a couple minutes at a shop. Really nice feel. The shape is not for me, but I'm a fan of Guilds so I had to pick it up. Felt as well made as my JS-II.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Shageletic posted:

So I tried to use my bass one spot av adapter for a new 12 volt (according to the back) synth keyboard, and nothing happened. Is it because they are different voltage? I don't know anything about electronics.

What in the hell is a "bass one spot"? The one spot is 9 volts. Unless there's a bass version that is 12 volts, this won't work.*

* Unless, of course, they're 9 bass volts. Being lower-pitched, they have more torque.

Get a 12 volt adapter (with the correct polarity) and you should be fine.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I play through a 2x15 at home and use a 2x10 at gigs and practice. I really like the sound of the 2x15, but the 2x10 holds up just fine. I'd say you could probably get along with either.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Anything less than two volume and two tone annoys me, but that's how the V comes. The rest have four knobs and some other control: baritone switch, phase switch, vintage cap push/pull. I generally leave them in one spot, but I like having the option.

Don't know about this "active pickup" thing. Doubt it will catch on.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I could agree with this so long as there's an exception for 4001s and 4003s. Haven't tried flats, but tapes were not the thing. Nothing wrong with the strings, they found a home on a Guild acoustic.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wound up trying different string styles on different basses, and keeping what worked for each bass. Tapes sounded like poo poo on my 4003, but sounded by far the best on a couple dark basses with humbuckers and an acoustic. I've got a dedicated roundwound bass, a dedicated flats bass, and the 4003 is about to get flats, just because I've always wanted to gently caress around with a sound like Roger Glover, and I think a Rick will be bright enough to make flats sound interesting, and I don't have a Fender to try them on anyway.

I don't think there's one answer. There are cool sounds to be had with all three types, if you accumulate enough basses eventually.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

There are supposed to be limits?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's very nice. I like the walnut ones especially.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

P body + J neck is how I roll.

I played one of these once and really liked it. What's the difference between a normal Precision neck and a Jazz neck? Jazz is narrower?

I think about getting a Precision now and then, but I've got too many basses as it is, and I'm not sure what a Precision would do for me that I can't get out of a 4003. Due to bad planning, I have a black 4003 with flats and a blue 4003s with roundwounds, so I can't even justify it for flats. I've also got a couple Gibsons, a Guild, and an acoustic Guild. I love the sound of the Ricks, but everything else is short scale with tapes or flats, which is definitely my thing. I have Trumpy little fingers, and it's a hell of a lot easier to get around on a short scale bass.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

As much as I love my 4003s, I'd have played nothing but a short scale EB-2 in the last band I was in, if the other guitarist hadn't been a Rick freak. Faster stuff on a mellow short scale is my poo poo

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

JEBOman posted:

So I recently bought a cheap bass uke and I love playing it. But I was wondering if it's possible to seriously play it. If I bring it to a jam or whatever, will I just get laughed out of there?

Maybe, if they're assholes. But uke basses can be pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1xFWZjPD50

I played one at a shop a few months ago unamplified. I was impressed with the low end out of those rubber strings. Made me feel a bit silly about my giant Guild acoustic bass.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Minto Took posted:

This was nice. :3:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like different brands for different things. D'Addario Chromes have a stiff feel and sound. Not as warm, maybe a bit metallic sounding. Have them on a 4003 and a Strat, and they're the right thing for those instruments. They're a bit harsher on the fingers but are good for a kind of firm, not woofy low end and good chime. On the trebley instruments I have them on, they have pretty good presence for flatwounds.

My EB-2 came with Pyramids. They're warm, feel well-made, easy to play. Highs are more muted than the Chromes, but exceedingly pleasant. I got some Grand Funk sounding noises out of the EB-2 with them.

I haven't played Thomastik-Infeld flats on bass, but I have a set on a Flying V guitar, and they sound fantastic. I'm not sure how different they are from Pyramids, as I'm comparing bass to guitar here. They both come off as really high quality and just a joy to play. They do have sort of a similar feel, like they're machined for comfort.

I'd say if you're after a more aggressive sound, maybe Chromes would be the thing. They do kind of the Joy Division "Ceremony" sound, or maybe the Deep Purple "Highway Star" sound (plus a host of modern poo poo, I'm sure). If you want a smooth Motown or warm deep reggae sound, then I'd definitely go with TI or Pyramid.

The Science Goy posted:

One of my main basses has those, the other two have La Bella white nylon tapewounds. GC doesn't stock those, but hot drat do I like them. They last forever too - I replaced a set of black nylon tapewounds after four years to give the whites a try.

Are the whites that different from the blacks? I searched for the whites forever, gave up and put the blacks on my Flying V bass, and now I like them so much that I have a set of whites that I meant to put on but just haven't. What's better about the whites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

They usually had two drummers,

What was the point to the two drummers?