Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What kind of stuff are you mainly into?

I almost always recommend one of two options. For a NEW bass, I'd go for the Ibanez GSR200 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524). It's what I learned on and will run you about $200. However if you go USED (and there's no reason you shouldn't, just have someone who knows their gear to take a look before you buy), I'd get a Mexican Fender P or J bass. Actually I'd recommend the used Fender over anything else.

Do you only want to spend $300 for bass AND an amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You should be able to find a little starter amp for $50 or so, maybe an even better one if you continue on the used route.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, join up at http://www.talkbass.com it's a great resource.

This is also a great do-it-yourself bass resource for learning: http://wheatsbassbook.org/

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

thegloaming posted:

So I just realized that J and P actually stand for kinds of basses and not just model names, so now I'm going to need to decide between Jazz and Precision. Based on Wikipedia research, it seems like Jazz Basses have a brighter tone, richer midranges, and less emphasis on the fundamental harmonic, making them suitable for "power trios". Unfortunately, my limited musical experience makes these descriptions sound vague and unclear, so I'm counting on you guys to set things straight. I understand that the Jazz bass has a fuller sound, but what else can you tell me about the two, such as appropriate genres/styles, that will help me decide?

I would disagree with the "Js have a fuller sound" thing as well as the mid-range part. I feel like the P-bass has more mid punch.

But the J is definitely more versatile and can do pretty much any genre.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

I saw a forum where someone was talking about George Porter Jr. "He's not that good, I didn't hear any slapping..." I died a little inside.

Where was this? I'm gonna go beat the poo poo out of that kid. (Porter is my #1 inspiration)

What I would give just to be able to hold that P Bass of his

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 13, 2007

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Archr5 posted:

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm considering picking one of these up to learn bass on.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

I have been noodling around on the guitar for a while, not making much progress. Then I picked up a soprano ukulele and I've discovered that 4 strings are much easier for my brain to deal with than 6 and I have a lot more fun plinking around and learning chords with my uke than I do trying to memorize chords on a guitar..

So this led me to the idea that I might enjoy playing a 4 string bass.

I went to guitar center today and plugged the Squier into a Berhenger 4x10 amp that they had set up and it sounded really great, so I'm wondering if anyone who has a better frame of reference than I could tell me how that squire compares to a MIM fender j-bass. It felt and sounded a ton better than the Squier affinity j-bass and I Think it felt and sounded slightly better than the MiM Fender..
I'm wondering how much of the sound was the amp being awesome and how much of it was the guitar being decent.

does anyone have any negative experiences with this guitar?

i also found a youtube review of it and the pickups really have distinct sounds, which is new to me since I'm used to playing the cheapest, single pickup electric guitar i could get my hands on.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D32xgLW-BXo

About 99% of the time a Squier will be of lesser quality than an MIM Fender. Squiers are Fender's lowest price-point instruments. But if you like it, go for it.

But I'll also say that I've heard of many people being pretty happy with this bass.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 21, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Archr5 posted:

I'm going to go play the Ibanez GSR200 and compare it to the Squier and get whichever I like more at this point. I definitely see people's usual fit and finish complaints when I pick up an affinity or one of the "signature" models from Squier, but those complaints really go away when I handle the Vintage Modified Jazz. But if the GSR200 has the same range of sounds and feel or is even close I may end up with that one based on price and recommendations alone.

i'm also going to cruise local pawn shops and see what i can nab used. Is there anything a used bass shopper should look for as far as abuse or signs of trouble? I'm worried about the stuff being on sale in a pawn shop because the owner didn't like it or it was broken...

I found a MIM Fender jazz at Elderly for $299, http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4016.htm

but the "needs work" items are scaring me away.

Honestly you should be able to find a used MIM Fender that DOESN'T need work for that price. I'd move on and keep looking if you're going the MIM route. Hell they're only like $450 new, one owner should drop that to about $300 or a little less imo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I keep hearing more and more people raving about how pleased they are with the Squier Vintage Modified basses. I think I'm going to have to try one out this weekend if I can find one. Stay tuned, if I get to pick one up I'll write up a little review.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Archr5 posted:

awesome, it'd be nice to hear from someone who actually plays and can bring out the flaws in the Squier VM.

I spent about an hour today noodling on a Fender MIM bass and the Squier VM Jass back and forth... and I am baffled about why they're charging more for the MIM Fender than for the Squier, Clearly I'm missing something, unless this is just one of those weird "great deals" that doesn't cost as much as they could probably get for it.

If I had the extra cash I'd probably be picking up this one, I played with it this weekend also and it's pretty amazing for being $400

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR400QM-Soundgear-Electric-Bass?sku=511825

I'd argue that Ibanez has the greatest price:quality ratio in the business on almost all of their guitars/basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
2nd link just goes to the front page :confused:

Question about your GSR200 though, have you ever taken it in to get a setup done (truss rod adjustment, bridge adjustment, etc.)? Usually that can eliminate a lot of buzzing and make a old bass feel new again.

Also, what is your budget for an amp?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok yeah just saw the link.

Well I can't really say much about either as I haven't played them. I suggested the GSR200 because that's what I learned on and it did fine.

Are you set on another Ibanez? My suggestion would be to get to a Guitar Center or any music store and start playing around. My 2nd bass was an Epiphone T-bird and I loved it http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass?sku=518391. I actually wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, has a great vintage rock gibson-punch sound to it. Only bad part about it was neck dive due to a bad strap-lug location, but I never found it unbearable. Here's an old sound clip I did for the guy I sold it to, goes from Neck Pickup, Bridge Pickup, and both mixed:

As for an amp, it's gonna come down to personal preference. You really gotta get out and play some if you're looking for a good gig amp. Brands to look for are Ampeg, Aguilar, Ashdown, Fender, Peavey, etc. Anything 200watt and over should be fine for small gigs. Only thing I would suggest is staying away from Behringer. They may have gotten better, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with their stuff...

Personally I like the Ampeg B-115. I think they make a version thats 220watt or so.

To reemphasize: go out and play as many basses as you can! You never know, you might fall in love with a good Fender P or J.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 31, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

GetHardHero posted:

I think guitar center is just going to have to put up with me going there and loving around for an entire day. Every time that I have gone there it makes me angry because there is usually some douche shredding on the most expensive guitar there, some twelve year old prodigy playing the drums or bass and making me want to throttle him for his talent. I have played a few other brands and have always like the way an Ibanez feels. Thanks for the advice!

Then go for it man. Ibanez is quality imo.

If I'm not mistaken that 400QM is active electronics? Big plus in my books, I'm a tweaker and I love having a preamp on my basses. Although there is something to be said for awesome vintage passive tone too :shobon:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 31, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wet pussy posted:

I ordered a bass last week and got it on Saturday, and start lessons sometime next week so I'm excited. Is there a good way to learn chords online? Do you even use chords that much on a bass? I'm pretty well-versed in music and play many instruments and have a ton of theory knowledge behind my belt so I am not looking for an explanation of chords, just fingerings and appropriate use of them.

I am also thrilled at how Blues scales sound on this thing--bass and blues were meant to be!

Chords are a little rare depending on what you're playing. But I throw in double-stops pretty often when playing funk.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

qball posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Thunderbird IV?

Yes and I absolutely loved mine and wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Its great for rock tones and can even do some vintage motown type sounds if you dial it in just right. It is by no means a modern-sounding instrument, and I dug the hell out of that.

The only downside of the T-bird is the neck-dive. Epiphone really should have put the strap lug behind the neck instead of on the (non-existent) horn. But you can always move it yourself.

In case you missed it on the last page, here are some soundclips of me loving around on my Tbird. Neck pickup, Bridge pickup, both pickups.

edit: Actually the last part is probably neck volume at 70% and bridge at 50% with tone on full. It was my preferred setting on it.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 8, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

qball posted:

I can't believe I missed that on the last page, probably because I was reading it at work and not listening to the sound clips.

The Thunderbird is on to of my list at the moment. I love Gibson body style and I'm a big fan of vintage sounds anyway. As long as it's as good as the MIM Fender basses which I can probably get for the same price here, I'm all good.

I'd put it above an MIM Fender. I have never been let down by an Epiphone product and I've owned like 4.

Edit: I also think that mine might have been an older one. I could have sworn when I bought it, the specs said that the wings were mahogany instead of all Alder, but I can't remember to be sure... Shouldn't make much of a difference though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bubble Babble posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to put this. I didn't want to start another thread, because this seemed to fit.

My husband and I are going to try our hands at stringed instruments, him the guitar and myself the bass. We've both done music for many years, so reading notes is not an issue, and theory we are pretty okay on. However, neither of us know anything about the instruments or really anything else.

We want to do electric. I was looking at the Ibanez basses (the one I like is pretty and blue, which of course is the best way to pick out an instrument!), because they seemed to be very popular for beginning instruments, and the internet liked them. But I see lots of other brands in this thread.

I'm also looking for what people recommend doing first. We will be doing lessons, as we don't know even know how to hold the instruments properly. What are reasonable goals to achieve within a year? At what point does it become plausible to be able to play a song? Is the theory terribly different from wind instruments or piano? What is important lino I should know before I go look like an idiot?

Any help anyone could give me would be awesome. Feel free to PM or IM me too. I have a ton to learn, so any information will help.

Being able to read sheet-music already puts you miles ahead on the learning curve, same with theory. Although you'll be (at least I assume) reading bass clef now.

The hardest part for you will just be technique, but since you've played piano and wind instruments, your fingers should be in great shape in terms of dexterity; being able to position them. As a bass player with limber fingers, you'll also probably be able to sound notes with 3 or even 4 of the fingers on your right hand, a HUGE plus. Being able to hit triplets and quadruplets is a big achievement.

I'd say within a few months (with a good teacher) you'll be able to play along with simple basslines; easy country-western/bluegrass and slow R&B or Motown. And more importantly know how/why the lines were formed in such a way (the theory).

It really just depends on your teacher, there are basically two types... those who will teach you theory and proper technique, and those who will just teach you to play whatever songs you want to learn. Definitely go with the former.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

I've been looking to make a (double) jump from acoustic guitar to electric bass for a while now, seeing as I have a better hand at rhythm than melody. Seeing as I might get a pretty lucrative internship this summer, I figured I'd reward myself with a decent starting bass. The douches at the local store keep trying to push those Squier Affinity starter kits on me, and I'd rather not get something that I might outgrow in a matter of weeks.

I've been looking around a bit, and for now I'm leaning towards this Epiphone SG Bass. I love the sound and look of the Gibson SG, which for now is beyond my league, so this came up as a best choice for me.

No real idea for an amp, friend of mine recommended getting a Crate combo amp, and I just need a basic practice amp for now.

I've been looking at one myself, mainly because it's the only SG-style bass currently in production that is long-scale. Don't know about it for a starter bass though... What kind of stuff are you going to want to play?

They have a very distinct tone and aren't well suited for everything.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a Gibson bass, particularly the EB-0, 3, and 4. But it's definitely not for everyone. I'd highly recommend playing one first if you can.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Well, I can't really get a feel for playing it if I don't know how to play. ...I guess that's why it's not really a starter bass.

Anyway, this idea hinges all on getting this internship, if I don't get anything I'll be doing plastic rock all summer instead. :drum:

Well its just hard to explain. There's no reason why it can't be a starter bass, but it's just not very versatile for different styles of music.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Azver posted:

I want to buy a Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass, and slowly swap out the parts. In particular, putting in a warmoth neck. Anyone around here have any experience swapping out the necks of basses? Does it have any kind of effect on the instrument outside of having a new neck? Like, would say, the tone of the instrument be negatively effected?

Honestly after putting a VM-J through the paces, the neck is one piece I'd leave alone (except for removing the decal from the headstock...). Plus I'm not sure if the Squier neck pocket is cut to the Fender specs that Warmoth necks are. I'd definitely contact Warmoth beforehand and ask.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Azver posted:

I was thinking about doing that, but I'm just kind of afraid of putting together a bass from the basic parts. I feel like I'd screw something up. How hard is it to wire everything together? And would I need anything aside from a sodering iron and a screwdriver, since the Warmoth stuff all comes pre-drilled?

Warmoth necks are not pre-drilled.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Azver posted:

Haha, guess I'm hosed then. I'll probably just look around for something else. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Well its a good thing... that way you drill it to the holes in the neck pocket to make sure it's a tight fit.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stop Motion Dong posted:

Is this a good bass to purchase? It'll be my first bass, so I'm just starting out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Array-5String-Bass?sku=512040

Also, is this amp any good?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Brat-Pack-HalfStack-Bass-Amp-Package?sku=482546

Thanks for all the (soon-to-be) help! :)

Traben is alright, I'm just not a fan of basswood or their gigantic bridge-plates. What kind of music are you into and want to play?

GK is pretty solid for amps, should make for a good starter rig.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stop Motion Dong posted:

Metal/rock mostly. Are there any good alternatives to Traben in that price range (5-string)?

I was also looking at this, would you prefer this over the Traben?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR405QM-Soundgear-5String-Bass?sku=511826

I would DEFINITELY recommend an Ibanez over a Traben. They're among the best bang-for-buck companies out there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

oval office Puncher posted:

I didn't read too many other replies so this probably has been said already, but there's a ton of overlap between the skills required to play bass and guitar (left hands are virtually identical, co-ordination between picking/plucking and fretting etc.) so you can easily learn both at once.

I'd recommend getting a regular guitar teacher and starting out with a bass teacher to get your right hand technique sorted, after that you can likely drop the bass teacher or just take occasional lessons as many of the left hand and two hand techniques are virtually identical between the two instruments.

Re the instrument to buy, as with any new player I'd recommend a used instrument to start as you'll find a lot higher quality/price ratio. Tons of options here which I'm sure have been covered in the thread.

If you get a GOOD teacher you'll not only be learning the hand techniques but be learning to read sheet music and learning theory about the instrument and its role in a musical setting. Neither of which would be the same between guitar and bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

blingasaurus rex posted:

(although I can't really tell the difference between the P and the J)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU

That video should help. It was made to demonstrate the ability of a Lakland bass to produce P, J, and MM sounds with side-by-side comparisons, but it also does a good job of demonstrating the differences between each of those basses as well.

Honestly a Jazz bass would probably be best for you as it is the most versatile.

EDIT: But if we're going by versatility alone I'd recommend the Lakland but it's a bit out of the price-range

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

casibanita posted:

What kind of strings are you guys using? I just bought and Ernie Ball Hybrids and put them on and I'm not a big fan of the "twang" I'm getting with them. I play just about every style and slap and pop alot, so can anyone give me advice on a new set of nice deep strings?

Try some DR Fat Beams. Basically DR's "Marcus Miller" signature strings.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mack posted:

I'm looking to buy my first bass and get started. Right now I can't decide between these $200-300:

1. Ibanez GSR200
2. Ibanez GSR200FM
3. Epiphone SG EB-3
4. Ibanez SR300
5. Ibanez SR300DX

Just wondering which one is best suited for me and the best value for my money. I'm looking for a J-Bass, and will be using it to play in my friend's band. They don't gig yet, and most likely wont for another year or so, but they always get together in his garage and jam. So I want something that will last me at least a year in before I feel I need to upgrade.

If there's any other bass you guys recommend for that price point let me know, I don't know anything just going from reviews and such. The SR300/DX has 'active bass,' not exactly sure what that means but if it helps out a lot is it worth spending ~$50 more? Also what's the difference between te GSR200 to FM and the SR300 to DX?

The FM means "Flame Maple" which is just a prettier wood grain veneer on top... nothing really substantial in terms of the bass itself. The DX seems to be the "Dynamix" pickups.

Active electronics means that you have an onboard active (powered by a 9v battery) EQ on the bass itself to help shape your tone. It really isn't anything necessary, a LOT of people prefer the sound of a passive bass.

Can't really go wrong with any of them. I learned on a GSR200 and it is a decent bass. Just go pick them up in a shop if you can and try them out.

Also, the EB-3 isn't a J-bass in any shape or form... and frankly I wouldn't consider any of those basses to be.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Are you talking about fretting-hand speed, or fingering-hand speed? If the latter, look for rudimentary snare-drum cadences (ones without super fast rolls) and just do them on one note.

The bass is a drum, keep repeating that to yourself.

Trust me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

also this guy agree's with your bass=drum theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EhUB1AS9M&fmt=18

I meant more along the lines of theory and the relationship of the bass and the drums in a band.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

although I find myself unnerved every single time some random retard on the internet proclaims les claypool to be the greatest ever, especially considering he's so unorthadox he might as well play guitar.

Not quite... Claypool is a great bassist and is always rhythmically on point. He can groove as well as anyone AND can innovate at the same time.

You might want to get a little more time under your belt before you start blasting PROFESSIONALS on how well they play bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Wanh posted:

You might want to as well, 3toes. From what I read, Akur0 wasn't blasting any PROFESSIONALS. I'm sure a lot of other goons would agree after listening to any Primus song that Les' style is slightly unorthodox. And I do agree it does get annoying when people glorify Les because he has a unique playing style.

#1, what?

#2, Claypool has played in various outfits aside from Primus

#3, I'd hardly consider slap-bass "unorthodox"

and #4, It's no more annoying than any fanboyism such as Victor Wooten, Myung, Flea or anyone else.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RoryGilmore posted:

Posted awhile ago that I was looking to start playing bass, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Now I do!

I'm into progressive metal/rock, so I was thinking of starting with the six string. The Yamaha RBX-JM2 is what I was looking at. It's discontinued, but I found some online retailers who still have it in stock. Any ideas on it? Or if it's terrible, suggestions for a good six-string?

e:Or would it be better off purchasing a cheaper one from Rondo or something, then getting that later on?

I've heard it's pretty bad.

In my opinion it's kind of hard to start "progressive" seeing as how it kind of requires a fair amount of knowledge of theory/time signatures/etc. But if you're dead-set on a six string, I'd look to Rondo first.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Xankrys posted:

Stupid newbie question: Is it bad to slap near the bridge? Every video tutorial i've seen has said to slap near the neck, right by where it joins the body, but i just cannot slap there.

I get a good solid slap tone from slapping below the pickup, close to the bridge, but I wanted to make sure that it's not some sort of taboo thing or something.

The reason they slap against the neck is that the strings are a bit looser and will in fact hit the frets to create more percussive sound. It's also easier (for most people) to perform the pops up by the neck for the same reasons.

Is your thumb pointing up or pointing down when you slap?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Xankrys posted:

Thumb up, right by the bridge. Get a solid slap sound on all four strings.

Bass is a cheapo single pickup piece of poo poo. Get a nice solid slapping tone out of it with no issues, and it doesn't hurt. But since I've yet to take a formal lesson, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't OMGVERBOTTEN or something.

Nah it's not, just different. Do what works.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

zincaito posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards getting something different. I thought the neck would be pretty thin, and it starts that way near the headstock, but it seemed to almost double in size by the 20th fret. Anyone know if the MIM Fender Jazz's would have the same scale?

That's not scale, that has to do the neck's profile, nut width, etc. Do you mean thin as in side to side or top to bottom?

If it's side to side, that's the profile of any fender jazz bass neck (atleast the standard models).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

zincaito posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean scale as in scale length. Scale as in neck width from lowest string to highest string. The nut width is 1.5" according to the internet, but it gets much, much bigger than that closer to the bridge. I want it to be smaller at the bridge end of the fingerboard.

Right... because the bridge is a different width than the nut. If you want overall narrow string spacing you need to look into something like a Hofner violin bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

I ended up just buying a Warwick Corvette ( Double $$ ) 5 string and I find that when fingering *tehehe* the 12th fret for any 5 strings there is buzz between 12th fret and the nut.

Does this indicate the guitar needs some truss rod neck adjustments or that i should adjust the nut height and/or the bridge?

Does it start only at the 12th? Try it on the 11th, 10th, 9th, etc. until it goes away. I'm thinking maybe a fret or two needs leveling/dressing. I've honestly never run into that.

Also, is the Double buck a bolt-on or set/neck through?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That's really kind of weird since the string shouldn't be vibrating at all between the fingered fret and the nut... So you've got no buzzing between the fret and the bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

got another question people, nearing december I want a fretless and I found this pretty little number.

is it worth it or is it a gigantic waste of money?

http://store.nationalmusicsupply.com/Items/FTL-5S-TBL?sck=10622456&caSKU=FTL-5S-TBL&caTitle=FRETLESS%20BASS%20GUITAR%205%20STRING%20TRANSLUCENT%20BLUE

Never heard of it. Just get one from Rondo.

edit: actually, if you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd recommend picking up a Squire VM Jazz Fretless and see what you think: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

Should have one at a guitar center or something.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 24, 2008