Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So what was he actually trying to accomplish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

slidebite posted:

Don't know alot about pushrods but the guy's story is that engine builder "decked" the block so now magically the pushrods won't fit :iiam:

Then the engine rebuilder decides to take a cordless drill atleast that's what it looks like he used and go to town trying to make clearance for the pushrods with zero precision or accuracy.

The story isn't adding up really, I suspect this guy did it himself and is trying to save face. If an engine rebuilder did that to my engine I'd be screaming at them until they agreed to buy me a brand new block.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I didn't really understand that particular picture, but I have a decent understanding on how a motor functions. So I GIS'd "engine pushrod" and now I understand and :stonk:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Tai-Pan posted:

Current bid is at $900 loving dollars?
Are people really that desperate to make Charger clones?

now over $1300

"Reserve not met"

What.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

buttcrackmenace posted:

now over $1300

"Reserve not met"

What.

NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

buttcrackmenace posted:

now over $1300

"Reserve not met"

What.

GAAH :psyboom:

His reserve is probably 500 less than a brand new block.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What's the scrap value on that block of aluminum?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Moey posted:

What's the scrap value on that block of aluminum?

Right around $80 or so, going off local scrap prices and estimating the weight at 130lbs.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

1500quidporsche posted:

Don't know alot about pushrods but the guy's story is that engine builder "decked" the block so now magically the pushrods won't fit :iiam:

You can change valve lift on an OHV engine for a given amount of cam lobe lift by changing the rocker geometry. Get too aggressive with this technique or use the wrong rockers, and the pushrod end of the rocker will be too short for the pushrod to fit in its bore properly. This was an attempt at running the wrong rockers by clearancing that bore.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Terrible Robot posted:

Right around $80 or so, going off local scrap prices and estimating the weight at 130lbs.

So is someone going to attempt to repair this (which I assume would weaken the poo poo out of the finished product), or are people just idiots?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
They just want a new table like that Jag V12 on Top Gear.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
US $1,525.00

Reserve not met

Hahah. Still 5 days left on the clock too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Both of these look pretty neat:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5134321514.html

and

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ctd/5137149251.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Buy the Chevy and go put the Datsun in the bed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Buy the Chevy and go put the Datsun in the bed.

I might go look at the Datsun today, since it's at a dealer's lot. I emailed the guy about the Chevy; it looks drat nice so there's gotta be something wrong with it--my money is on a failed smog test, or maybe a cracked block "my cousin says it's an easy fix" situation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr.Caligari posted:

US $1,525.00

Reserve not met

Hahah. Still 5 days left on the clock too.

Shill bidders

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pham Nuwen posted:

I might go look at the Datsun today, since it's at a dealer's lot. I emailed the guy about the Chevy; it looks drat nice so there's gotta be something wrong with it--my money is on a failed smog test, or maybe a cracked block "my cousin says it's an easy fix" situation.

Maybe, but it's also a regular cab, long bed, 2 wheel drive, V-6 from 17 years ago with 180,000 miles on it. Literally every point in that sentence is a ding against it from what the average truck buyer is after. It's too new to be classic and too old to be desired as a daily. 2500 is higher than it books for, and it's got nothing the average truck buyer is after unless they just need to use it for actual truck stuff.

The price is maybe about right, maybe high - I assume he'd be ready to take less, but it's going to be very difficult to change that first number from a 2 to a 1.

Comps in Denver:
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5152286917.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5152197370.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5129660931.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5119101260.html

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5148359311.html

Can you write a monster truck off as a business expense?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/5114913569.html

1969 Chevrolet Impala Pan American Tribute Car
One owner car, original 1969 title, runs and sounds great. Roof removed with full roll cage
327 Turbo Fire V8, 3 spd hydromatic transmission
15" rally wheels, tires 80% new
Floors replaced and solid.
New exhaust, air shocks rear, Mallory super coil
Bikini top included
Exterior dirty and unpolished, very vintage looking
Fun car to drive, ready to go

I'm going to be up there in 2 weeks. If no one buys this car then I might have to throw him a lowball offer.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Propaganda Bob posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5148359311.html

Can you write a monster truck off as a business expense?

poo poo like this keeps trying to convince me that I need to open a payday advance/title loan shop.

They're basically money-printing factories.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
All you need is an abiding love for the suffering of others.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/5114913569.html

1969 Chevrolet Impala Pan American Tribute Car
One owner car, original 1969 title, runs and sounds great. Roof removed with full roll cage
327 Turbo Fire V8, 3 spd hydromatic transmission
15" rally wheels, tires 80% new
Floors replaced and solid.
New exhaust, air shocks rear, Mallory super coil
Bikini top included
Exterior dirty and unpolished, very vintage looking
Fun car to drive, ready to go

I'm going to be up there in 2 weeks. If no one buys this car then I might have to throw him a lowball offer.

Why is the a/c still in it, might as well rip that poo poo out lol.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5110529765.html

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Looks like he accidentally added an extra zero.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

angryhampster posted:

poo poo like this keeps trying to convince me that I need to open a payday advance/title loan shop.

They're basically money-printing factories.

Those and rent-to-own places should be but the default rate and number of receivables that go to collection/unclaimable must be stunning.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

Octopus Magic posted:

Looks like he accidentally added an extra zero.

It's no accident. Did you not see that it has the manual engine???

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's funny that it's called a Cougar but he painted it to look like a snake.

Ooh... with the SVT intake can you call it a Cobra? That would make sense.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looks pretty nice despite the cracked windshield, I dig the straight-6 but don't know anything about old GMCs:

http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5152194050.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes...em=261988525255

I want this, but I don't think it would work with a rear-facing car seat, and I don't really have the money to do it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Looks pretty nice despite the cracked windshield, I dig the straight-6 but don't know anything about old GMCs:

http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5152194050.html

Its pretty much the most reliable form of transportation on the face of the earth until the tin worm grabs hold. And even then, bit of welding wire and some bondo and it's all new again.

Edit: if you are interested, there's a million parts houses for these trucks, and they are the cheapest vehicle to wrench on. Look up Stacey David - knuckle buster project, it gives you plenty of ideas. You don't have to follow his method, but there's lots of tips.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 5, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its pretty much the most reliable form of transportation on the face of the earth until the tin worm grabs hold. And even then, bit of welding wire and some bondo and it's all new again.

Edit: if you are interested, there's a million parts houses for these trucks, and they are the cheapest vehicle to wrench on. Look up Stacey David - knuckle buster project, it gives you plenty of ideas. You don't have to follow his method, but there's lots of tips.

Well, I want a semi-reliable truck for hauling poo poo around and maybe going camping. Being a 77 helps because it's exempt from smog testing here. I'll probably try to check it out Saturday or maybe even tomorrow after work.

Think offering $2500 seems reasonable if it actually does drive well, going up to maybe $3k if he wants more?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a stripper base model, but those have turned the corner and are appreciating pretty much regardless of trim and powertrain. A 6 cyl & stick will be about as reliable as a Honda lawnmower and can be kept running with duct tape.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If it runs, drives strait, and the body is fairly clean - yeah thats a 2000 truck all day long. (a 500 premium in areas that aren't truck heavy is fair) Around this part of the world, theres tons of trucks so it depresses the price.

Just check for rust on the rocker panels, cab corners and above the rear wheels, that's where they rust like crazy. Bring a magnet to make sure it isn't bondo city

Edit:

slidebite posted:

That's a stripper base model, but those have turned the corner and are appreciating pretty much regardless of trim and powertrain. A 6 cyl & stick will be about as reliable as a Honda lawnmower and can be kept running with duct tape.

you may or may not need bailing twine.

FWIW - That is a pretty clean old truck as long as its not 50 lbs of bondo. You could buy it, drive it around for a few years, and more than likely sell it for the price you paid for it.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 5, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Since they're so plentiful, why not hold out for at least a 350 or maybe a 454? Remember, that's the nadir of the Malaise Era, 5000 lbs of truck and 100hp is not my idea of a good time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

That's a stripper base model, but those have turned the corner and are appreciating pretty much regardless of trim and powertrain.

Yeah, they've spent a long time as "the cheapest C/K you can buy", I'm sure now there are people who actually prefer that bodystyle to other trucks. The mechanical concept of that generation is basically the same as C10s dating back to about 1960, and in fact most of the '73-up mechanical parts will bolt to a '67-'72 or a '60-'66 with little to no modification. I think those trucks got some underpinnings refreshed around 1980 or so, but what you see is nearly the final revision of a design that was probably first sketched out in the mid-late 1950s. They are dirt simple and you can still maintain them out of your average parts store, let alone all of the specialty shops.

But...

Tremek posted:

Since they're so plentiful, why not hold out for at least a 350 or maybe a 454? Remember, that's the nadir of the Malaise Era, 5000 lbs of truck and 100hp is not my idea of a good time.

4000lb is probably more realistic; the bodies of these trucks are surprisingly light because there's nothing to stop you from getting instagibbed in a crash. I'd seriously consider holding out for a SBC-powered truck, though. It's not going to cost any more to maintain than a stovebolt, and it gives you more ability to get out of your own way smoke the right rear tire.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those things are the preferred body-style up here and actually becoming sort of rare as most have long been bagged to death in the 90s or rusted to nothingness. Well cared for or restored examples go for shocking stupid money, especially K-trucks. As in $20K+ and being treated like 60s muscle.

I'd actually sort of like an 86-87 myself but that's just a pipe dream.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tremek posted:

I've got a soft spot for I6 engines because everything is so easy to access and they look nice.

I'm meeting the guy on Saturday, we'll see how it drives.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

One of those converted to a ramp truck pops up every few months. Can't remember what engine is in it but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered making an offer on it every time it's popped up.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

This is my dad's '77 Sierra Classic 3/4 ton 454. It's slow. I think it's closer to 5k than it is 4k, IOC. ;) I weighed it at the dump a few years ago and it was about 4900 lbs, I'll see if I can find the pic. Can't imagine the I6 would be that much lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What kind of mpg that beauty getting? 8mpg when rolling downhill with the engine off?

I do like it. My grandpa had a 80s blue sbc, I loved riding in it. It seemed very big and powerful at the time