Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
"Although the miles seem high there is very little wrong, the work has been done by a DSM driver of who’s dsm still runs, which speaks volumes more than some silly ASE certification."

That had me in stitches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

san_dingo posted:

I need to sell this car for $$$ to get to TX so I can have some help watching my son so he doesn't pee on the keyboard anymore...

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1168186667.html

Click here for the full 1272x840 image.

Is the bottom-right pic a burnout?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

T1g4h posted:

Alright, somebody want to explain to me just what this is and what the hell it's doing in Arkansas? Because goddamn, I never expected to see a Renault here.

My brother owns a 1985 Renault "Mini-Winnie" LeSharo Winnebago. It's a 4-cylinder, 5-speed and ugly as all hell. I love it.
It looks pretty much like this:
http://www.walrathfamily.com/info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/0011.JPG
http://www.motorhoming.com/1986%20Winnebago%20Le%20Sharo.jpg

I'm driving to Ohio in a couple of weeks and taking the Buckeye Beer Bus (as we call it) camping for a few days.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 5, 2010

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You're almost making me miss my 90 Gutlass Supreme. It was a granny car, ugly, and unreliable. But I really liked having the 60/40 bench seat up front with a console shifter.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Lowclock posted:

My favorite part is its prestigious "award winner in the 2009 Food Lion Auto Fair".

The Food Lion Auto Fair is a gigantic car show at Lowes Motor Speedway twice a year. While this was likely a trophy winner in his local car club (they provide trophies for showing your cars with a club), the show itself is a pretty awesome place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mutt2jeff posted:

280Z with a 350 swap that I was looking at buying a couple months ago has come back up on craigslist. Looks like the new owner has run into money troubles, this car is a steal for 3k.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2619106381.html
I am (or more accurately, my bank account is) so glad that none of these awesome cars are within a reasonable distance for me to pick up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok, I wonder how bad this car may end up being? But the price is still pretty high.... Maybe 1500 would be a better deal.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2745829103.html

Not a good deal at all. He shimmed the wastegate to get more boost, and blew the motor by not keeping up with the fluids and/or blowing the headgasket.
If you could get it for $1000 and could source a good motor for a reasonable amount, it might be worth it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MarsellusWallace posted:

This may be better in the stupid questions thread, but this may be the first car I don't buy off my parents, and so don't already know a complete background on. I need something to get me to and from work every day, through an Iowa winter. Ad says the power steering rack is out, should I take it to a mechanic to have it looked over first? I may have access to a covered garage with a decent set of hand-tools... Is this a terrible idea?

Assuming it's a 4-cylinder, they are dead easy to work on and the parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. I have a 1999 with 190k miles and it's been the best car I've ever owned.

Talk him down to $750 :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

An old friend of mine once told other people that I have a Ferrari.

I have a '98 Corvette. Targa top and not a 911 = Ferrari? 4 round taillights = Ferrari? Who knows. Point is people don't know anything about cars so I'd never spend the money on a Ferrari if no one is going to respect the amount of money I dumped. Also because I'll never have that much money.

It's just like the Supra community. You can spent a ridiculous amount of money on a MK4 with all the trimmings and it'll always be a dong magnet. Girls really don't care about cars, unless it's a convertible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

I'm so sorry. I hope that you understand what I believe most people posting here inherently do one day.

I don't understand what you mean. I've had fast cars, I've had big cars, little cars, imports, domestics. What I want now is a reliable, reasonably comfy people-mover with good MPG and a decent sized trunk. It's been all that and more.

When I was younger my dream car was a MK3 Supra. I bought a creampuff 1992 turbo and modded it until it was real quick (low 13-second quick). It was fun while I had it, but that much speed was being wasted by sitting in the garage.

I still keep my eyes on CL for something new (Miata, maybe?) but for right now I can honestly say that the 80k I've put on my Camry have been the best hassle-free, get-in-and-drive miles I've driven. It's also old and showing it's age on the outside, so I don't give a poo poo if a rock dings my hood or I get a dent in a parking lot.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I spent the first 22 years of my life in that area. I can't say that truck surprises me. Most people who live in that area of Ohio somehow consider themselves a roughneck, even though they all live in the burbs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

nitrogen posted:

What kind of scam is this exactly?
(I am not trying to be snarky, I honestly don't see it)

MK4 Supras are still ridiculously priced. They basically have not depreciated in the past decade.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

Goons, do I part with my half-finished 280z/1jz project and buy a loving bus instead?

I don't see this as an either/or proposition. Do both! :D

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Drunken Lullabies posted:

All the nostalgia of an old cruiser with none of the effort involved in restoring one (if you're stupid)

My girlfriend and I have been collecting pictures of weird/"custom" pt cruiser sightings for years now. My old cell phone has more content than that tan camry blog someone posted in AI a while back. Am I a crazy person? The best ones I've found were all in SoCal, there seems to be a huge following for them down there in the suburbs.

I had the "pleasure" of judging the PT Cruiser group at the Auto Fair at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The horror! Easily 50 cars were in this group, and pretty much all were terrible.

I had an annoying owner following me around and trying to tell me why each car that wasn't his was a complete piece of poo poo (he was right) but then I got to his which was in the "Stock" category. He had stuck on those diamond-shaped plastic fake "vents", had aftermarket wheels, had painted a lot of his interior pieces a terrible yellow to match the exterior. I actually took some pleasure in asking him about the fake vents, which he reluctantly admitted were not stock.

In the end, he didn't win. Neither did I, because I spent a good hour looking at PT Cruisers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

fps_bill posted:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3986860536.html

CAR IS INSPECTED THROUGH JULY 2014!

Call or text Joe @ 717-805-one.2.one9

Car has the following installed:
-2001 Nissan Maxima 3.0L v6 (VQ30DEK) rated at 222hp
-2004 Nissan 350z 6 speed manual Transmission (CD003)
-Mazda RX7 LSD
-Tokico Illumina shocks all around
-OPTIMA Yellow Top D51 series, brand new June 2013
-18" ASA 5 spoke rims

For sale is my red 1991 Mazda RX7. A previous owner was responsible for the drivetrain swap in this car and he documented his work online: http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com This car is fast and will do 140MPH if you have enough road. The VQ30DE-K is rated at 222hp stock and the car weighs in around 2800lbs, checked weight at a feed weigh station. I had plans to turbo the Nissan 3.0 liter v6 for upwards of 450hp. I have several other car and motorcycle projects and no money to work with, so I need to sell.

PROBLEMS:
-50% of the time, the car will want to stall when coming to a complete stop. This can be avoided by tapping the throttle pedal while stopping. Problem should be solved with a new MAF sensor.
-driver's power window switch is partially disassembled, but still works fine
-speedometer is not connected, so currently no odometer recording and no speed indication. Mileage on title says EXEMPT and odometer from Nissan reads 65,000 miles
-passenger door has a dent from previous owner, still opens and closes fine. Passenger power window has some trouble coming up, but it does work.
-car has no speakers installed currently, also the CD player is a Pioneer unit but is not wired in at the moment.

ATTENTION!!! I have been driving this car long enough to say it is a solid vehicle. Also, this swap was completed almost 5 years ago so the car is not about to break down.

http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com/

Man, that car is tempting! What kind of mileage do you see out of it (I guess you probably don't know since the odometer doesn't work).

Also, what's with the Chevy bowtie on the headlight?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My brother is selling a similar little RV near Akron, OH:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvs/4125341221.html

I'm at work, so no pics, but it's a 22ft RV with a 4-cylinder, 5-speed drivetrain. It gets great gas mileage for an RV, but is still spacious enough for family road trips.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

leica posted:

That is freakin' awesome, a 4cyl with a 5 speed? It's got to be a dog though, as in good luck on the on ramp.

It's definitely not fast, but once you are on the freeway you can pretty much just put your foot on the floor and let it go.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

Now I want to find out if there's a stupid-rear end modified Dodge somewhere out there called the RAM ROD.

I saw one driving around Charlotte with that on the back window.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

I used to drive an old fire department water tanker around the farm, spreading water on the dirt roads to keep dust down. It was a 10 speed which was a lot of fun to drive. It also had a "cannon" we mounted that could spray water about 100 feet out to the side. Old firetrucks are cool.

I am most certainly not doing this "life" thing properly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tai-Pan posted:

"Drove it to key west Florida this past summer".
Sure you did buddy. Did you do that on the inspection and registration stickers that haven't been used in 20 years?

He drove it on a flatbed, most likely.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Key West is an island, isn't it? You should jump on that, I don't know if there's any other submarine TVRs still left out there.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but they have these things called "bridges" that are used to cross water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Highway

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
A Sebring on a Blazer frame? Was he trying to merge two of the most unreliable vehicles in recent memory?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That seems like it would be worthwhile to do an escrow account.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

No way dude. SW20's look way nicer.

:colbert: :colbert:

Someone took the time to set up that picture, but couldn't be arsed to hang the license plate properly and clean the rear bumper?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Putting labels and badges on cars is just a silly practice, and even sillier when you are misrepresenting what you really have.

I have a neighbor with an "M3" 328i BMW. The M3 badge doesn't fool anyone who knows what they are, and someone who doesn't know what they are doesn't give a poo poo in the first place. So what's the point?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Citycop posted:

You know that's really not a bad deal when you consider the cost of a 1 ton duallie with a trailer and comparable setup. It also reminds me of why I can't afford racing as a hobby.

Do you know how to make a small fortune in auto racing? Start with a large one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
He probably was using the number pad, thus the typo. It really runs 16.9 in the quarter.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
"My truck has no problem racing against any highend sportscar on the track."

Neither does my Camry, but it's still going to lose in a hilarious fashion.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Noeland posted:

He didn't die from the bike wreck. He lost his right arm and got a settlement, then proceeded to buy a manual Corvette. He died from an infection related to the lost arm.

The link says he bought a Lamborghini.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Noeland posted:

His payout was something like $160k, doubt he bought a Lambo.

The link says it was $900,000. You should check it out, so we don't have to keep replying back and forth :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Surely you could flip that for parts and make a decent profit, right? That seems insanely low.

If people can't afford gas for them and they're unreliable pieces of crap, then the market for parts is probably pretty low.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The Quad 4 was a POS motor and everything made by GM in that era sucks balls. Trust me, I owned enough of that garbage in my younger days.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KakerMix posted:

Not exactly but sort of? They share suspensions and engines, specifically the SC300 shares the exact same engine as the NA Supra. The turbo Supra is the same engine as well but has some stuff with the pistons and head plus those twin turbos. Probably some other stuff too but that's all my surface searches pulled up.
I know I was in here earlier bitching about how I couldn't find a stock Samurai but you can't even find a manual transmission SC300 at all, according to Wikipedia there were only 3883 made ever. If you do find one it's going to be so hosed with and has been passed around. Very confident that if/when I do decide to sell it back I can easily sell it for much more than I paid for it, especially because I'll detail the drat thing before I do.

The non-turbo 2JZ motor has a distributor, if you can believe that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

If you just want a nifty digital dash like that, w-body Olds Cutlass Supremes had them as an option, and should be cheaper than a Reatta.

I had the Olds Cutlass with the base digital dash, and found a guide on w-body about how to switch the connection pins and upgrade it to the better digital cluster. It ruled!

I did have to run a wire from the OBD plug to get the tachometer working. That was my favorite part.

edit: here's a video of it working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9OFO_4VUw

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

hedgegnome posted:

Ive recently become obsessed with toyota cressidas and the only cure may be

The interior looks sooooo clean, i love it.. thoughts? How reliable of a daily could this be?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/87-toyota-cressida/6593330074.html

Extremely reliable, and shares tons of parts with its Supra brethren.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In high school I wanted nothing more than a drop top 3000GT turbo.

In retrospect I'm glad I never got one

Same. I was thiiiis close to getting one once, but decided to get a beautiful MK3 Supra instead. No ragrets.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
They were always a ripoff, FWD version of the Supra :colbert:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Take it to PMs because your pissing match is ruining a good thread.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

I always thought of "LE and LX" models of cars to stand for Least EXpensive.

I know that sometimes the LX/LE trim is NOT the lowest end trim level

That would be the VL = Value Leader. At least on my similar era Cavalier it was, and it came with no passenger side mirror from the factory.
I know, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

NumbersMatching320 posted:

This was a pretty common thing in the 70s and 80s

It's been 20 years since I owned it, but it was definitely a 1991 or 1992 car. It was shocking how barebones that car was.