Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Krakkles posted:

Wasn’t that the LT1? I know there’s a new LT1 which is something cool but my recollection back then was that it was just the 350 at the time.

His is probably a 93 then. It's not an LT1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hell yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe it can be pushed around on that floor? I wouldn't think so, but they don't look grooved to cradle the tires so it's all I've got.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

StormDrain posted:

I don't think its wrong to try and haggle, if its respectful. If someone doesn't want to give you $5 though thats fine. That's literally the negotiation. You have to be prepared for that outcome.

Unreasonable results should certainly be accounted for in the plan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd be pretty annoyed in the situation presented. I rarely carry cash, so splitting an ATM bill means I have to make yet another stop at a store or something. If I'm standing there with 120 in my hand and the guy is refusing over a 5, it needs to be something I really want. And yes, that's entirely his right to do that if he wants.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Would you rather the seller price it at $140?

What kind of bullshit response is this? The seller can price it how he wants. If he wants to make it inconvenient for the customer, that might work against him. I guess it's up to him to either think it through or not.

quote:

It's never occurred to me to be annoyed at someone else for not having exact change for something that I want to buy, and expecting them to alter their price on that basis strikes me as pretty audacious. Certainly, if I'm selling something, I will strongly prefer prices that won't require anything outside a stop at the ATM, but if you genuinely think your item is worth $125 (and the market - i.e. the buyer) agrees, it's much more reasonable to a seller to round up than round down.

Cool. As a seller I would agree. As a buyer...you know, the perspective we're discussing...I would disagree but understand the seller's motivation.

quote:

Personally I'd much rather buy a Redbull and pay $125 than pay $140 for the same item. Or poo poo, I dunno, use apple pay/venmo/google pay.
Perfect.

That's also up to the seller to determine.

Coredump posted:

I'm annoyed the guy wouldn't come down $5 on a $125 item. In other words, he wouldn't take 96% of his asking price. That is all.

I genuinely don't understand how this is a difficult concept to grasp.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Krakkles posted:

You cited having to break a readily available via ATM $20 as (at least part of) your justification on why the seller should accept the negotiation, as did Coredump.

I did not. I cited it as why I would be annoyed. Not that the seller is under any obligation to accept it. You're just arguing in bad faith now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wranglers are indeed loud and incredibly annoying to drive in high winds. The hood will even flutter up and down, though it's not quite as bad on the JL model.

My YJ didn't do this, but the JK sure as hell did. I loving jumped the first time I caught a nice blast of wind from an oncoming semi.

I dailied the JK for 7 years. It's not a modern car, but it's loving fine.

*not accounting for reliability. gently caress that thing, and gently caress that company.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kastein posted:

I really only give a poo poo if it's being used to illicitly sell a stolen vehicle. If you wanna spend 3x what the car cost new to build a tri 5 and hang an old vin tag on it so you can register it, knock yourself out, I didn't see poo poo.

Yeah and then it gets sold at "all original, restored" prices. This poo poo happens all the loving time. People are constantly getting new VIN plates made, restamping engines to hide that this original 327 is actually a loving crate 350, etc. The running joke is that there are more original-motor big block Chevelles/Corvettes on the market than the factory ever built. It's a complicated issue that nobody really wants to deal with. The government doesn't want to get any more involved, and most of the hobby community doesn't really want the government getting more involved. It just makes everything more expensive for everyone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Looks like a typical FB Marketplace ad to me. :P

I’m just going to assume the “go faster” button is the AC - you turn it off to go faster. That was the literally truth on my coworker’s Toyota Echo (first gen Toyota Yaris for non Americans. Also, Toyota Vitz, I think?)

It used to be a thing on a lot of underpowered cars...I'm surprised it was still true as late as that. It stopped being a thing as vehicles disabled the AC compressor based on throttle input, so the car was basically pushing the button for you.

The Tempo/Topaz is just a handsome vehicle. I've never wanted to own one, but I like seeing them. It's been a while. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was exactly as slow as you'd expect. My best friend in hs had a ~88 Topaz with the 4banger. But, he had a car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

For FCA that was acceptable for new engines, at least a few years ago. I assume it still is, because quality control isn't exactly a priority.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

i own every Bionicle posted:

Lots of new engines have very high oil consumption. Thin oils and loose ring fits reduce friction which helps with fuel consumption. Subaru says 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable. I think some Audi and BMW engines are said to burn a quart per 700 miles.

The old 3.8 and early 3.6s are not in that category.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah if it runs well, that's not far off, out here. A Bronco of that vintage would be 12k and probably run like dogshit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm glad I bought mine cheap, and to drive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

80s kids are starting to be able to afford things they like.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

rscott posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad how much of a C5s interior would look right at home in my 1994 cavalier, was a big problem for GM that I'm not sure they ever solved since I haven't actually ridden in a newer one any time recently

I'd say they've slightly broadened the range, but they've noticeably raised the bottom of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He'll probably get 25k for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Volt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

There was a 4.3L Gen II V-8; The L99.

(Impala and I think the wagon Roadmasters all got the LT1 though. I don’t know if LT1 was standard on Roadmaster sedans or not.)

I’m also suprised that the B-body LT1 was still called that, since it had a different (iron) heads and a different cam compared to the Corvette and F-Body LT1s. The block on B-body engines was the same casting as the others, but only had two-bolt main caps instead of the four bolt mains in the sports cars. (Most of the F-bodies had 2 bolt mains as well, but 4 bolt main engines were pretty common, I suspect whenever they had extra Corvette engines, particularly towards the end of LT1 production.)

Coworker has a 95 RM sedan...it's got the original non-LT1 SBC in it. Not sure the model.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The SHO V8 was introduced with the third gen (oval monstrosity) for '96. The 92-95 second gen carried over the V6s, with no manual option after 92 or 93.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Q_res posted:

This part isn't actually true. They introduced the automatic for 93 (with a 3.2L version of the V6) but they were sold alongside each other for the remainder of that gen.

Interesting...did they actually sell any? I don't think I've actually ever seen one newer than like 89.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's no reason for that car to exist...it had to be cheaper to just get an 86.

I'm here for it, I'm just not sure why it's here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So all the fire is attracted to that spot, giving the driver time to escape.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a tow yard here that does that every week. I've watched a couple times, but am scared away by "no keys, no title."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Was that a Breeze?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

100% to spec

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Using real Lambo parts no less.

stock engine

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably the same as the factory setup.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah I'm not sure "but maintenance and reliability" is going to turn away the kind of person who is looking at that car in the first place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only time I've had a buyer contact me later was about 8 months after I sold my JK Wrangler. I was concerned when I saw I had a voicemail from the guy. Turns out I'm an rear end in a top hat and when I cleaned out the glovebox and console I didn't realize I took the lugnut key. Poor old man had a flat that needed to be repaired but...well...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I would absolutely pay $30 for that right the gently caress now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

fine, 35, but I'm taking the chair too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This makes no sense to me. They just bought my ‘12 Abarth for $11,620, and I paid $10,500 for it earlier this summer. I’d think a Golf R would be worth more even with the mileage…

Dealers buy cheap and sell expensive, and the market has been climbing fast. It makes perfect sense.

A couple of years ago a dealer offered me 8 grand for a 7 year old 2-door Wrangler, while they had it's near-identical (different color) twin on the lot for 19k.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Put it in a tractor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

It's a 92 Camaro. There are no purists to care. If you like the car do whatever you want to make it a car you want to drive.

There are absolutely 305 fanboys/purists, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Darchangel posted:

...really? Because that was the worst SBC.

I agree, but I stumble upon their ramblings on random forums when I'm looking for 383 discussions and whatever. They're not common, but they're out there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's not awful in a 2700 lb car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Uk requires imported cars to convert instruments to miles, so this was probably a continental European car that some brit bought, drove in Britain, who then shipped it over here to drive across Canada where it died. I’ve seen a handful of Japanese market cars with mph instruments because they had been imported to the UK before being imported to Canada.

This seems backwards to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't hate on it.

I do wonder why only one row of solar panels...if you're going to open it up like that, throw more underneath.