Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Donkey Kong?!

For the longest time, I looked at the thread title and wondered how the hell anyone could do such an iconic... and frankly low-content-having game. And I just browsed on by. How could anyone do an LP of that?

Frankomatic answers by doing the Game Boy version; which is surprisingly really interesting because they take a fuckload of liberties with the original game. His commentary is pretty good and though I've only just seen the first video, I have to say it's a hell of a lot more interesting than I initially gave it credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Transformers - Evil Tim (VLP)

Evil Tim is one of my favorite VLPers. Videos like this are why. I finally figured out why I like those videos so much - it's almost like we get an entire LP of Zero Punctuation. As a bonus, Transformers is wrapping up, so you get almost an entire LP.

Deceased Crab
Dec 31, 2006

You're going to pay for this!!!

slowbeef posted:

Donkey Kong?!

For the longest time, I looked at the thread title and wondered how the hell anyone could do such an iconic... and frankly low-content-having game. And I just browsed on by. How could anyone do an LP of that?

Frankomatic answers by doing the Game Boy version; which is surprisingly really interesting because they take a fuckload of liberties with the original game. His commentary is pretty good and though I've only just seen the first video, I have to say it's a hell of a lot more interesting than I initially gave it credit for.

Donkey Kong '94 (that game) is actually one of the most inventive and fun takes on the original DK I've ever seen. Frank picked a real winner here and the LP is a real winner because Frankomatic knows the score.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon
Nobody watches LP's. The best you can hope for is for somebody to listen to an LP in the background while they do something more fulfilling.

Which is why Hargoth's Saloon is perfect.

Listen, as three guys and a gal bumblefuck their way through a wild west D&D clone. Just in time for Gary Gygax to start rolling in his grave.

If you like listening to a bunch of goons being assholes to each other and breaking game mechanics you can't do much better than this one, and without all those annoying visuals to slow you down.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

WolfShirt posted:

Nobody watches LP's. The best you can hope for is for somebody to listen to an LP in the background while they do something more fulfilling.

Lies. I always watch LPs, whether they're ones that require it (like Flare's still excellent Spyro thread) or ones that don't.

Bagatelle Thief
Nov 30, 2007

Is there a problem, sir?

WolfShirt posted:

I always wondered about this - it seemed like some people spent entirely too much time watching VLPs to fit anything else in their day.

Bagatelle Thief fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 9, 2008

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

WolfShirt posted:

Listen, as three guys and a gal bumblefuck their way through a wild west D&D clone. Just in time for Gary Gygax to start rolling in his grave.

It's called a "roleplaying game." Calling a roleplaying game a D&D clone is like calling a first person shooter a Doom clone--you coulda got away with it a decade or so ago, but nowadays it just sounds like you passed Knowing Stuff About Games 101 with a D+. /pedant

Meanwhile, the Dirge of Cerberus LP is only starting the second level of the game, but it has grown uncontrollably into a nightmare-beast from the abyss. Get in now while the getting's good.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
KINGDOM COME: An Epic Paradox Mega-Game 1187-1954 A.D. deserves to be repeated. It is a well written narrative that explains the basics of the game(s) so that your average reader knows what is going on.

The Metroid Prime Trilogy thread is also really good. It has it's flaws, but overall it is very informative and fun to watch.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

TombsGrave posted:

It's called a "roleplaying game." Calling a roleplaying game a D&D clone is like calling a first person shooter a Doom clone--you coulda got away with it a decade or so ago, but nowadays it just sounds like you passed Knowing Stuff About Games 101 with a D+. /pedant

Then my dead Gary Gygax reference wouldn't have been as well placed, you bubbly rear end.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
Rubber Chickens and Three Headed Monkeys, Let's Play Monkey Island 1 [SS]

Despite it's Gold rating, it is still underrated.

Clavius in his first LP has managed to take a game that everyone has played at least twice before and spice it up to appropriate levels of interesting and awesome. He makes sure every good bit of conversation is demonstrated, and keeps it all fresh with decent commentary. It is among the best exponents of SS LPs for adventure games.

Going beyond this though, he is a talented and dedicated creator of video and graphics. He has inserted extra (photoshopped) screenshots into the game that look just like the real thing and add a touch of original comedy to the venture. He has also authored a bunch of completely original video for the game, which is all hilarious.

He's just about to post his last update for the game, and I would hate for people to miss the ride.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Captain Novolin posted:

KINGDOM COME: An Epic Paradox Mega-Game 1187-1954 A.D. deserves to be repeated. It is a well written narrative that explains the basics of the game(s) so that your average reader knows what is going on.

This is a really good LP. I mean REALLY good.

But the updating schedule is brutal. It's been going on since October and it's just over half finished. That's Deus Ex scheduling there. :v:

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I'm going to recommend luisfe's Raidou Kuzunoha LP.

His style here is the same as the Shin Megami Tensei games he's LPed before in that he uses simple, unobtrusive commentary along with the screens and strikes a perfect balance between dialogue screenshots and transcription. As always, he tosses in a hefty amount of background information and lore and explains the game mechanics clearly and succinctly as they come up.

On top of this, this is a game I'd never heard of and likely wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for his thread. As it's an off-shoot of the SMT and Persona games, fans may want to check it out.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Egomaniac posted:

His style here is the same as the Shin Megami Tensei games he's LPed before in that he uses simple, unobtrusive commentary along with the screens and strikes a perfect balance between dialogue screenshots and transcription. As always, he tosses in a hefty amount of background information and lore and explains the game mechanics clearly and succinctly as they come up.

On top of this, this is a game I'd never heard of and likely wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for his thread. As it's an off-shoot of the SMT and Persona games, fans may want to check it out.

Seconding this. It's a really cool game and having played I'll say the story gets pretty wild later and it's very worthwhile to see what happens.

Ledemondelaplace
Feb 13, 2006

Vision will blind.
Severance ties.
Median am I.
True are all lies

Egomaniac posted:

I'm thirding this. God bless Luisfe, he has just the right mix of funny, story telling, and game mechanics explanation to create a fantastic LP. Every single SMT or SMT spin off game he touches turns into one of my favorite threads from beginning to end.

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!

Proteus4994 posted:

This is a really good LP. I mean REALLY good.

But the updating schedule is brutal. It's been going on since October and it's just over half finished. That's Deus Ex scheduling there. :v:

You have to remember that since october Fintilgin has played trough 2 entire games already. A paradox mega-game is a daunting and timeconsuming task! (But yes... I do miss the more regular updates)

Furthermore, I would like to recommend Feinne's "Because the ESRB doesn’t give a crispy poo poo, let’s play Soul Nomad and the World Eaters!"

It´s only 12 updates in, but it has all the makings of a great LP. Plus the story of the game is AWESOME!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Lairek posted:

You have to remember that since october Fintilgin has played trough 2 entire games already. A paradox mega-game is a daunting and timeconsuming task! (But yes... I do miss the more regular updates)

Fair enough, but there have been two weeks or more between updates more than once.

I'm not going to thread poo poo and turn my own thread into Harsh Criticism, I just wanted to point out the one problem I had with an otherwise outstanding LP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Stop whatever you're doing and read this awesome thread.

Well-executed, great game choice. This deserves a lot of attention. Zeryn, I consider you family because of this awesome LP.

macklikethetruck
Jul 22, 2007

Party
Party
Party
:hfive:
drat I've already pimped this thread once but QUEST FOR GLORY rocks my socks. Subtitled VLP of a classic hilarious adventure. The games are funny and not a bore, and Peas and Rice is a good player and a good commentator. QFG2 started not too long ago its a good time to jump in!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2760695

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know it's redundant at this point since pretty much every single person who regulars this forum has seen it, but Schildkrote's Persona 3 thread is amazing. I just started reading it, myself, and it's surprisingly good. It's written as an in-character blog, and is something that would be really easy to gently caress up, but Schildkrote pulls it off. I'm kind of shocked that it only has one mention here so far. It's funny, well written, has just the right amount of viewer participation, and the game itself really is something to behold. If for some reason there's someone here who isn't following it, definitely check it out.

romscout
Jan 27, 2008
Is this thread dead yet? Guess not!

It's a shame more people haven't noticed Raar's LP of Space Station: Silicon Valley yet. Granted, I was among those who hadn't noticed it until fairly recently, too, so... yea, nothing further there. The game itself is pretty unique, funky and awesome, so that helps, but other than that I wasn't really expecting too much going in... then I just kept watching... and watching... I gotta tell you, he executes his style of being Stalwart (one of the main characters) extremely well. It's informative, quirky, and provides laughs all at the same time. If you haven't played this game yet, it'll be especially good for you, and if you have played it before, it'll be decent entertainment and bring back memories simultaneously. Highly recommend this one.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Shogo by Vexation

Vex has always been one of my favorite FPS LP-ers (come back Suspicious! :(). It doesn't matter whether he's playing a good game or a terrible game, he's drat good at what he does. His commentary is also very funny, especially in the many Monolith games he's done.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
For those of you who haven't done so yet, stop being CRAZY and go check out Mayor McCheese's Let's fear skunks together! Sims 2: Our town is a goon town [SSLP].

It's hilarious and he's taking goon suggestions for Sims, so if you ever had a burning desire to see other goons getting gay or burning to death, this is your chance.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
If for nothing other than the sheer proffessionalism, watch the Jurassic Park: Tresspasser thread. Specifically give the history of tresspasser vid a look. Research Indicates is putting a lot of work into this, and it shows.

Also his voice reminds me of the Dukes of Hazard narrator :3:

TrisIsPluto
Sep 19, 2004
"...and then he said, that's not a machine gun, that's my wife!"
Persona 3 is one of the best LP's I've seen in a long time. Schildkrote, you are amazing and awesome and your Persona 2 is going to be just as good.

As far as funny goes, Wolfshirt's Ghouls n' Ghosts videos have me in stitches. (Link is to the LP archives site) Specifically the stage 5 video is a thing of beauty.

TrisIsPluto fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 8, 2008

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Now that I can see where this thread is without having to dig, I'd like to mention Jamesman's Chulip: an enjoyable video LP of an "aggressively a "VIOLENTLY Japanese" game that's kind of like Harvest Moon if you took away the farming and added gimps and a telephone pole with a face. Jamesman applies a passive, mellifluous narrative voice to make a unique, ridiculous game more amusing than it already is. A survivor of an April Fool's joke that almost went awry, Chulip is definitely one to check out, if not only to hear Jamesman say, "Awwwhhhhhh it's a poopie."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 8, 2008

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Because no one has posted it yet
Sure Kefkafloyd already did MMX; but still, it's a Diabetus thread, which is all that I really need to say about it.

Schildkrote
Aug 19, 2006

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

BurningNinja posted:

Sure Kefkafloyd already did MMX; but still, it's a Diabetus thread, which is all that I really need to say about it.

Proteus4994 posted:

5) Try to give some sort of substantual reason for why you like the thread.

That's actually saying nothing whatsoever about it, seeing as I've never watched a Diabetus thread, so it's not all you really need to say and you should consider saying more.

Oh, and I like Adinsxyz's Hype thread because his commentary is really chill and the game is so inoffensive. It makes for great background noise that I can switch back and forth from while I'm doing something else.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BurningNinja posted:

Diabetus - Mega Man X

Here is a better way to phrase this:

Diabetus is doing some silly edits to make the intros and dull moments more amusing (sort of like Oyster's ADD "let's add cartoons here for no reason!" gimmick but less non sequiter), gives decent commentary, has the skill to back up the goal of his thread (playing in reverse order on all the bosses so he has nobody's weakness beforehand, avoiding all upgrades), and ends up being pretty entertaining in the process because his comments inform and amuse.

That would be a good reason to watch his thread.

Nothing Man
Feb 9, 2007
Blacklisted.

Schildkrote posted:

Oh, and I like Adinsxyz's Hype thread because his commentary is really chill and the game is so inoffensive. It makes for great background noise that I can switch back and forth from while I'm doing something else.

Adinsxyz's S.T.A.L.K.E.R thread was my favorite LP, and though it's ended it isn't archived yet, so everyone should check it out. His narrative is whimsical, making it perfect for those odd games.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know it's redundant at this point since pretty much every single person who regulars this forum has seen it, but Schildkrote's Persona 3 thread is amazing. I just started reading it, myself, and it's surprisingly good. It's written as an in-character blog, and is something that would be really easy to gently caress up, but Schildkrote pulls it off. I'm kind of shocked that it only has one mention here so far. It's funny, well written, has just the right amount of viewer participation, and the game itself really is something to behold. If for some reason there's someone here who isn't following it, definitely check it out.

I feel bad, I really want to read that thread, but I also really want to play Persona 3 without having it spoiled (I haven't gotten it yet, I know it'd just sit on the shelf until I finish FFXII, Suikoden V, Ace Attorney 4, Advance Wars Days of Ruin, and all these other games I'll never finish thanks to loving WoW).

I hate it when that happens, when a game I'm really interested in gets LPed, but I want to play it myself too much to read the thread and spoil the game for myself.

Further props for Zeryn's Freddy Pharkus LP. It's like watching a guy play a remix of Space Quest and Blazing Saddles. He highlights the oft-times hilarious writing of Al Lowe at the end of Sierra's golden era of adventure games. A must for nostalgic gamers.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

macklikethetruck posted:

Quest for Glory / Hero's Quest 1-5: An Epic Let's Play

A forgotten gem, LPed a bit unconventionally(as in it's actually good). This is actually one of my favorite things going right now. The game is the real draw, the commentary is minimal and subtitled, which is all it needs to be IMO. The updates are fairly regular, and the videos are short, presenting little chapters of an awesome old school adventure game. Check it out.

This thread really hasnt gotten the attention that it deserves. I hadnt even HEARD of this series before the thread, and I was inspired enough by it to hunt down almost all of the games on ebay/amazon after reading through it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Let's Play: Arcanum by seroin.

This is an amazing opus, an epic tale told in first-person. I'm not sure how much of it was fake and how much is real, but it's all perfectly well done, there's never a dull or out-of-character update, and seronin posts plenty of "Behind the Scenes" content and additional books as bonus content. This may be one of the best narrative LP's ever made.

Let's Play Monkey Island 1
Let's Play Monkey Island 2

Both of these games have been LP'ed by Clavius, and the games are funny, but the bonus content he's added has blended seamlessly with the actual game, and it's quite impressive the effort he's put into the LP.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 15, 2008

Esmeralda
Oct 26, 2007

I strongly second the above mention of the Monkey Island 1&2 LPs by Clavius - yeah, the games themselves (two of my all-time favourites) are already sidesplittingly funny but Clavius has gone that step further with totally convincing doctoring of many of the screenshots to make it into something even more surreal than the original, and some very well put together videos, all with lots of chortle-out-loud results. Really, don't miss it!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

One thread that I think might be slipping underneath peoples' radar is Jade Star's Alien Shooter thread. I just clicked on it out of a whim (never having watched the Fail Pile so having no idea who Jade Star was) and was pleasantly surprised. The fact that it reminds me a lot of Crimsonland sucked me in immediately, but the commentary is mostly enjoyable (besides my minor complaint in his thread), and he's pretty good at the game.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Just jumping on the bandwagon for Adinsxyz's Hype: The Time Quest thread. I haven't had a chance to check out any of his other LPs yet, but his unique brand of hilarious ad-libbed commentary really makes this video run-through of an obscure children's game a joy to watch.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I'd like to take this time to talk about two of, in my opinion, the best subtitlers on the LP forum. Egomaniac (currently doing Siren 2) and Vexation (currently finishing up Shogo). Anyone who is even considering doing a subtitled LP should be required to watch these two guys first. They take different approaches to subtitling, as well as the games they play, but both do an outstanding job with it. Egomaniac's approach is to play atmospheric horror games with informative subtitles that are used sparingly (Siren 2 being an exception since he has to subtitle all of the commentary) but informatively. Vexation's approach is to play campy games with sarcastic witty subtitles that are also used sparingly, but to hilarious effect. Both of these guys show that you don't need to cram War and Peace into your subtitles to keep a viewer's interest. If the game is good enough, it can speak for itself.

More subtitlers need to realize that the subtitles aren't intended to distract you from the game and therefore you don't need something down there all the loving time. These two guys get it.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2008

Vexation
Sep 30, 2007

These endless days are finally ending in a blaze.
Kiss my rear end all you want, I'm not doing any more Global Ops. :colbert:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Vexation posted:

Kiss my rear end all you want, I'm not doing any more Global Ops. :colbert:

I'm on the NOLF2 bandwagon. I gave up hope on Global Ops.

Plus I bought Counter-Strike: Source so now I can get my fill of lovely retarded bots any time I want.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really have to offer up a recommendation for Egomaniac's Siren LP.

Siren is a Japanese survival horror game that has more in common with Asian horror films than it does the likes of Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Egomaniac pulls no punches with his VLP, providing commentary only in the form of sparse, informative subtitles about his playthroughs, which really allows you to be immersed in the videos and feel that same fear and tension you probably would if you were playing the game yourself. He shies away from attempts at comedy and lets the game speak for itself in how tense and downright creepy the game is. It's a style of LP you don't see too often, and it's really worth looking at.

Just a note though: The LP Archive has the video links listed in storyline order, but the game is not played in a direct timeline. There are numbers next to each video link, and it's best to watch the videos in the order indicated by those numbers.

Siren LP at the LP Archive

I have not yet checked out his Siren 2 Thread since I'm still watching the first game, but I expect it to be every bit as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McFetusBurger posted:

If for nothing other than the sheer proffessionalism, watch the Jurassic Park: Tresspasser thread. Specifically give the history of tresspasser vid a look. Research Indicates is putting a lot of work into this, and it shows.

Also his voice reminds me of the Dukes of Hazard narrator :3:

I normally don't watch Video LPs and I've only had the time to watch the History Video and opening level, but the sheer amount of work Research Indicates has put into it and the utter professionalism of the videos makes me want to watch more. It's a compelling watch and shows so much of the potential of game as well as explaining why what didn't work... didn't work.

If you like Video LPs (or you don't) and you like dinosaurs (or you don't), then you should check this out.

• Locked thread