Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Raitzeno's Golden Sun thread is very well done. Golden Sun is VERY heavy on exposition, but Raitzeno is very good at summarizing the story. He also knows a lot about game mechanics, and explains them very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Volatile Penguin posted:

Raitzeno's Golden Sun thread is very well done. Golden Sun is VERY heavy on exposition, but Raitzeno is very good at summarizing the story. He also knows a lot about game mechanics, and explains them very well.

How worthwhile would you say it is for someone who's played and beaten the game already? I'm a little ambivalent about the storyline-- specifically the dialogue writing, and have avoided this LP largely because prior attempts have been such trainwrecks. Still, I liked the game itself, so if someone can make it interesting for someone who's seen it before, that'd be cool.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

neongrey posted:

How worthwhile would you say it is for someone who's played and beaten the game already? I'm a little ambivalent about the storyline-- specifically the dialogue writing, and have avoided this LP largely because prior attempts have been such trainwrecks. Still, I liked the game itself, so if someone can make it interesting for someone who's seen it before, that'd be cool.

It's pretty good. He's doing a great job of summarizing all the dialogue and pointing out the important stuff. Furthermore, he's experimenting with alternative class setups, which I doubt most people ever did in the first game.

a dog
Mar 10, 2007

neongrey posted:

He's specifically avoiding just transcribing all the rambling text and he does a good job of summarizing. It seems like this GS LP will be the one to get finished, hopefully.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Going to ask in here as there's been a few archived topics linked to that I'm interested in viewing.

Anyone know why the archives are down and how long until they're up? Notice they've been down for a few days now and have looked but couldn't see anywhere explaining why it's currently not up. Assuming it has to do with the forum maintenance last week?

Cheers.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

DarkDude98 posted:

Anyone know why the archives are down and how long until they're up?

Archives went down when they made the changes to the forum. Nobody knows when they'll be up.

Try The LP Archive. A lot of them are in there.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

neongrey posted:

I'm impressed by his method and his progress, and I was one of the people who tried to warn him off of even considering the thing.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I have to recommend Schildkrote's .hack thread.

It's an informative, in-character (but not too much) hybrid LP of a series of games that almost no one actually had the stomach to finish. I know I didn't. For those that don't know, .hack is a simulated MMORPG, and it recreates the awful gameplay of one too well for its own good. Schildkrote does an excellent job of showing the intriguing story and side areas while cutting out the tedious grinding and repetitive gameplay elements.

The only downside is that watching his LP may convince some poor, unsuspecting audience members that .hack is actually a good game that they should go out and buy.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I'll have to recommend Frog Hat's Etrian Odyssey thread.

I might just be biased because it's one of my favorite games, but Frog Hat does a fantastic job with it. All the grinding for levels is done offscreen and efficiently enough that a new update is posted almost every day. Thus, this normally tedious game flows smoothly and quickly. Frog Hat knows the ins and outs of this game so well, the LP could double as a walkthrough--complete with boss strategies and quest solutions.

There's also reader participation, besides just voting on what strategy to use for the next area. The party members' "journal entries" work perfectly to complement the game's original story, as well as provide entertainment while waiting for Frog Hat's next update.

This is hands-down my favorite ongoing LP, and I hope more people can enjoy it as much as I do.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My personal favorite LP is Robinson's Requiem, done by Cyberdud

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2269530

When a game puts that much effort into keeping you from playing it, and you not only finish it, but do it in character with good writing, that is an excellent example of how to do a good LP.

viper.fox
Jan 1, 2008

I am the queen
I've got a few that I've been thoroughly enjoying recently.

Although probably mentioned before (and how could you miss it, it's a gold thread) is the Sonic 2006: A Modern Epic (VLP) thread. That has me in tears from laughing at their pain so much, but also made me take up the game again just to see if it really was as terrible as the videos show it off to be. It is.

Cybershell's more traditional Sonic VLP is shaping up to be pretty awesome too. Really awesome. The factoids at the start with the badniks for the levels are awesome, and the commentary is eerie in that it's serious and painfully funny at the same time to me. Also, LAVA and we have a oval office-o-metre. That is epic.

Fray Joker also has a James Pond 3 VLP. It's a little shaky in the commentary at the start, but I really enjoy the natural style it has, and she narrates to the character which is different. The thread is also designed to be interactive with mission debriefings and pathway choices. Worth checking out!

Edit: grammar :argh:

viper.fox fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 30, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I'd like to give a shout out to The Lone Wolf series. There's no fancy editing, or hilarious screenshots, or broken gameplay videos, or any of that. It's just some books. But it was a MOTHERFUCKING TWENTY BOOK SERIES that was actually completed, and I think for that sort of a labor of love, it deserves all the respect in the world. The thread is over now, but I still want to recommend it to anyone who's bored at work. I've read about half of it off and on throughout the life of the thread, and even though there's nothing really technically impressive about it, I can't help but hold a huge amount of respect for any one (or, in this case, two) people who are willing to LP a 20 book series. Great job.

Now go out and get some loving sunshine. :v:

Schildkrote
Aug 19, 2006

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

Proteus4994 posted:

I'd like to give a shout out to The Lone Wolf series. There's no fancy editing, or hilarious screenshots, or broken gameplay videos, or any of that. It's just some books. But it was a MOTHERFUCKING TWENTY BOOK SERIES that was actually completed, and I think for that sort of a labor of love, it deserves all the respect in the world. The thread is over now, but I still want to recommend it to anyone who's bored at work.

If you like the Lone Wolf thread, then you'd probably be interested in the Grey Star thread, which is being done by Mr. Toes. In the end, it'll be four more books in that series, making it a 24-book LP series spread over two threads. It boggles the mind. Like Proteus said, don't expect any fancy poo poo, but these threads are definitely entertaining - they kept me amused through several boring lectures last semester at least. They're worth a look.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I just have to plug Johnny Law's Myth: The Fallen Lords VLP. It's a fantastic game that is criminally overlooked, and brought a lot of people to their knees due to the frustrating camera and bone-crushing difficulty of the more satisfying settings.

Johnny Law plays it well while also not crushing the game, which is a tough balance to strike. He also includes a few nice touches like the digress-o-meter letting you know which parts of the video can be skipped by all but the most hardcore followers of the thread, and a mission-by-mission .gif showing the literal mountains of enemy casualties, Johnny's Myth LP is the latest in a small but growing crop of really, really good LPs that have a lot of work put in to them and are a cut above the noise of the rest of the board.

Give it a look, and show him some love.

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

viper.fox posted:

Fray Joker also has a James Pond 3 VLP. It's a little shaky in the commentary at the start, but I really enjoy the natural style it has, and she narrates to the character which is different. The thread is also designed to be interactive with mission debriefings and pathway choices. Worth checking out!
Hey cheers! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much, I've put a lot of effort into it so far. Also thanks for really getting into the spirit of things in that thread. You've really helped me out!

That's not why I came here though. I wanted to give a hearty plug to ChuckMaster's Moment of Silence thread.

It's a screenshot LP of some obscure and from the sounds of it mostly awful adventure game. However with some fantastic photoshopping efforts and really good writing, ChuckMaster has turned it into one of the funniest things I've ever read. It's perfectly paced and an incredibly engaging read. Watch as a secret intelligence collective of animals take an average joe minding his own business and transform him into a terrorist one step at a time.

Really. I can't recommend this thread enough.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Frankomatic started up another Short Games Thread. I love the concept and Frank is entertaining as usual. Also noteworthy is that Dizzybone is positing his Metal Slug X videos in there, which are absolute must-sees IMO: Funny commentary, good editing, showing off a lot of easter eggs people don't know about, and attempting the very, very difficult task of completing the game with no deaths. Go watch!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fray Joker posted:

ChuckMaster's Moment of Silence thread.

People, just read the OP, it'll take 30 seconds. That's all it will take to get you hooked. DO IT.

ChuckMaster's taken a crappy game and made it into a hilarious parody by inserting his own characters. There are some updates that don't progress the game at all because he's off doing his own thing. Between the inserted dialog and the subtle photoshoppery, this is one of the funniest threads I've ever read. The only problem is not enough readers.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Internet Friend's Ys3: The Oath in Felghana thread is shaping up to be a nice one. While he sounds rather tired in his Tigray Quarry video which is the first dungeon, he has taken a good amount of effort in showcasing the game as well as its earlier iteration on the PC Engine which is good for laughs and terrible late 80's anime + music.

It's a screenshot thread with videos as well for dungeons, and at the very least he explains more about the game than a one-liner beyond a screenshot, and there's not a big flood of images too.

Also, he is also actually good at the game on the Hard difficulty and isn't just flailing around, sucking horribly at things which is something I like to see myself if I've played the game someone has been LP'ing. I recommend it if you want to see a nice action RPG remake of a somewhat terrible game from 1989.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TwoDayLife's Let's Play Woodruff and The Uncanny Language Valley is a pretty badass adventure game LP. The game itself is funny, mean, and completely insane, while TwoDayLife's music selection and subtitled commentary keep the LP immersive and give the game some sort of sense.

If you're a fan of point and click adventure watch that sucker.

(Not the fastest update schedule, but hey people have lives)

FZH995
Jun 28, 2008
I really can't say enough good things about Zutaten's Shogun thread, which starts off spectacularly well and then gets... uh... actually, it gets worse from there, because the second half of the game is a major letdown.

But Zutaten does what he can with it -- and, really, I was sold on this thread by the time I was halfway through the first page. The game's opening sequence has some spectacular and very evocative writing, and the thread's worth checking out for that alone. Heck, the quality of the prose is so high that I actually READ the text, instead of finding that my eyes were glazing over and the urge to skim was rising -- which has happened in 98.913% of all text games I've ever played.

In addition to the game's very strong prose, the goons in the thread are predictably amusing, and Zutaten himself is no stranger to ye olde and noble art of writing very fine LPs. The combination makes for an outstanding thread.

EDIT: I do mean "predictably amusing" in /every/ sense of the phrase. But if, like me, you ENJOY it when running jokes are repeated over and over and over until they become walking jokes, then sort of... staggering-along jokes, then jokes that REALLY need to lie down, then jokes that keel over dead from exhaustion... that thread's the place for you!

FZH995 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 31, 2008

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Garin posted:

Internet Friend's Ys3: The Oath in Felghana thread is shaping up to be a nice one.

I would like to second this. This is a solid LP and I'm enjoying his hybrid screenshot/video style. The game itself is challenging, however Internet Friend breezes right along show-casing the mechanics & secrets without having to bog down in the grinding or back tracking thanks to his clean editing. The videos are strong enough to hold their own even without the screenshots and that's quite an achievement.

For as much effort that's gone into this LP it could use a little more attention.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

FZH995 posted:

Completely unwarranted praise.

Wow, I was never expecting that thread to show up here. I hated that thread and considered it an "LP Failure." Thought I never did enough to make it entertaining. Ah well, I'm both glad, and surprised, that you liked it. :)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It'd be nice if we could keep this thread somewhat active.

Chip Cheezum's Beyond Good and Evil. Despite an excessive amount of technical difficulties, this is a runthrough of BG&E featuring insightful commentary when relavent, and aloof humor while messing around. Chip and The Other Guy work well together, and the thread could use some attention.

thrawn527's Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Still fresh, but the combination of Screenshots showing what's being done, video for dialogue (The voice acting isn't half bad), and there still being multiple viewing options (SS entirely or video entirely) really shows the effort that thrawn527 is putting in, and the game itself is interesting and witty.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Oyster posted:

Super Adventure Rockman

I like it. This is one of those LPs where the author works to their talent and it really works out. I'm honestly not even the world's biggest Megaman fan, but I gotta say, I like this.

Even if you're not an Oyster commentary fan, this is a whole new ballgame. Check it out.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys
I've definitely gotta second the recc for the Super Mario Bros. 2 LP. It's in archive, so I couldn't see the actual thread, but I checked out the first video, and it's fuckin hilarious. The player is totally clueless and an utter spaz, and his commentary and reactions randomly alternate between bemused, pissed off, humming, singing, and adding extra sound effects to the play. Sounds kinda stupid, but there's some serious comedy in there.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm a long-time lurker, and I think I can give a few threads some praise from an "outsiders" perspective. Here they are:

Alice in Wonderland by FredMSloniker
: It has an interesting dynamic between character and player that lends a certain charm to a well-known story. The accompanying artwork only sweetens the deal.

American McGee's Alice by LordMune
: LordMune gives good commentary and has such an appropriate narrator voice for the game. The poetry was a nice touch.

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing
: Anyone who can create such an engaging and unexpected story from an Animal Crossing basis is someone who should be doing such things for a living.

Daikatana by Proteus4994/Suspicious
: I'll be honest, I came for Suspicious, but I stayed for the banter. A good rapport over a badly made game can make all the difference.

Hexen II by Suspicious
: This is one of the best examples of a skilled LP I've seen. If you wish to see an FPS dominated, any of the Heretic/Hexen threads are the places to go.

Trespasser by Research Indicates
: A scenic tour through Site B, guided by an informed, well-spoken player leads to fun times had by all.

Edit:
I can't believe I missed this one!

Earthbound by Travis343
: Travis manages to add an entertaining narrative to a whacked-out RPG, with some artwork to flesh out the story. This is a very good read if whether you've played Earthbound or not.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 4, 2008

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Been a while, and I'd hate for this thread to fall off the face of the earth.

The Demon Rush: This started off badly due to people assuming the game would be badly LPed primarily due to its recent Games infamy, but it's really come into its own now. Mainly because the game has taken a sharp left turn into Holy poo poo What The gently caress Is Going On Here territory and YF19pilot has no idea what's supposed to be going on. Also, Rixen's amazing analyses of the game are a welcome help for figuring out the pure :psyduck: of the "plot".

Painkiller: Overdose: Bad FPS games seem to make for great LPs. This wholly unnecessary Painkiller spinoff has plenty of bad/recycled design, stupid bullshit, and ongoing commentary from Mechanical Hand, Blister, and Psychedelic Eyeball. This seems to be on a semi-hiatus right now, unless Mechanical Hand are company are just loving with us. Which is pretty likely.

Banjo-Kazooie: Most LPs I like involve people either going slowly insane playing a terrible game, or having a ton of fun playing a game they really like. I'm not a big fan of Rare's platformers, but watching this is almost enough to change my mind! It's clear Rooleelooo loves this series and knows everything about it inside and out. Lots of fun to watch whether you're familiar with the titles or not.

little green jewel
Oct 27, 2003

tO DIE WILL BE, uHH, aN AWFULLY BIG ADVENTURE,

Syvalion posted:

The Demon Rush: This started off badly due to people assuming the game would be badly LPed primarily due to its recent Games infamy, but it's really come into its own now. Mainly because the game has taken a sharp left turn into Holy poo poo What The gently caress Is Going On Here territory and YF19pilot has no idea what's supposed to be going on. Also, Rixen's amazing analyses of the game are a welcome help for figuring out the pure :psyduck: of the "plot".

Oh yeah, seconded. Might wanna skim the first few pages except for posts by YF19pilot and Rixen, because there's a lot of "This will suck" "No it won't" "Shut up and vote 1" "Yo mama" but once it takes off, it's loving amazing.

Edit: ingwit

little green jewel fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 30, 2008

Ingwit
Feb 19, 2004

little green jewel posted:

Oh yeah, seconded. Might wanna skim the first few pages except for posts by YF19pilot and Rixen, because there's a lot of "This will suck" "No it won't" "Shut up and vote 1" "Yo mama" but once it takes off, it's loving amazing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925321&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post347825699
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925321&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post348049902

:colbert:

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
It's a youtube lp !!GASP!! but I always liked Chaz Dragoon's lp of "Wild Guns".
Chaz clearly had a lot of fun doing this lp and southern his acsent just enhanses the whole cowboy theme.
Playtist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=444A6DEC3432B78E

Another good one that I found was Crowley9's lp of "The Violinist of Hameln"
As Zutaten say's this is a nice relaxing lp broken up here and there by the silly voices Crowley does for the characters when they talk.Also I think Crowley likes abusing Flute just as much as Hamlin does.
Playlist:http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=181E9A2927DA54FD

As for some Sa lp's, I enjoyed Static_Fiend's Quake 4 lp so much I went out and got the game for myself.
It's a great mix of being funny while still telling me what the hell is going on.
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Quake4/

But the lp's that really hooked me were GuavaMoment's and Jade Star's lp's of the X-com/Ufo Series.
I've lost sleep reading these lp's because I keep on having to see happend next is the story.
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/XCOMUFODefense/
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/XCOM/
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/XCOM%20-%20Aftermath/

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Mr.Flibble posted:

It's a youtube lp !!GASP!! but I always liked Chaz Dragoon's lp of "Wild Arms".
Playtist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=444A6DEC3432B78E

Dude, are you loving kidding me?

(I know it's not Wild Arms, but it's still the same guy)

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Proteus4994 posted:

Dude, are you loving kidding me?

(I know it's not Wild Arms, but it's still the same guy)
Ya I know his trying to vlp Wizardy V was a big mistake his part but most of his lp's arn't all that bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr.Flibble posted:

talking

1) that first game you list isn't Wild Arms, the link (and the video itself after half a minute of blank screen) says "Wild Guns". (Yes, I did indeed look at those before making point two, which is...)
2) um, no, those pretty much suck. Because I like Proteus (and this thread), I'll just refer you to the rule in the OP instead of flaming you:

Proteus4994 posted:

5) Try to give some sort of substantual reason for why you like the thread.

You, you should probably lurk a little more. Just sayin'.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Watching that Violinist of Hameln one is really quite relaxing, though, as it is clearly the ghost of Jacques Cousteau narrating this LP.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Syrg posted:

1) that first game you list isn't Wild Arms, the link (and the video itself after half a minute of blank screen) says "Wild Guns". (Yes, I did indeed look at those before making point two, which is...)
2) um, no, those pretty much suck. Because I like Proteus (and this thread), I'll just refer you to the rule in the OP instead of flaming you:

You, you should probably lurk a little more. Just sayin'.
Post fixed, sorry about that.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Blast Corps (eighteenspikes)

Detailing the exploits of Blast Corps crew member Peaches, the thread manages to reach the right balance of informative, and entertaining. Keeping viewers well abreast of game mechanics by explaining what makes each particular level challenging. In a few spots, eighteenspikes descends into an Oyster-like rage, but he has found a unique way to channel it into comedy gold. Saying any more than that would ruin the surprises.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Bounty Huntin' with a Vacuum Cleaner: Let's Play Oddworld Stranger's Wrath!

Plavski's doing a great job with this game. Stranger's Wrath is a third person/first person shooter/platformer (think old west alien Bioshock) with all of the atmosphere and charm that comes with an Oddworld franchise. The first video seems a bit crowded with commentary, but after that, Plavski's pacing is perfect. The commentary is informative and never forced. The videos are about 15 to 20 minutes a piece and he's promised to keep an impressive update schedule.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Bounty Huntin' with a Vacuum Cleaner: Let's Play Oddworld Stranger's Wrath!

Plavski's doing a great job with this game. Stranger's Wrath is a third person/first person shooter/platformer (think old west alien Bioshock) with all of the atmosphere and charm that comes with an Oddworld franchise. The first video seems a bit crowded with commentary, but after that, Plavski's pacing is perfect. The commentary is informative and never forced. The videos are about 15 to 20 minutes a piece and he's promised to keep an impressive update schedule.

Honestly, when I saw him post in the sandcastle I thought "Well gently caress this is the guy that stalked Icedude in the Super Mario Sunshine thread." Then I actually watched the videos, they're well-paced, interesting, he's good at the game and it feels like he's enjoying talking about the game rather than forcing it

Wilikai
Feb 20, 2003

Why hello Ms. Trepe would you like to be in my video?

Argon_Sloth posted:

Blast Corps (eighteenspikes)

Seconding this one. In addition to the great playthroughs, eighteenspikes has begun occasionally throwing in a "real world" segment, and they're really creative and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sonar Chicken
Oct 1, 2008
Animamundi:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2676238&userid=0&perpage=40

I very much like the humor and comments in the updates which put the cast and scenarios in a new light. :) Furthermore, kethryveris deserves a lot of praise for contributing over 400 updates and transcribing every single line and scenario, good and bad endings all included(21 endings total if I'm not wrong).

Finally, no matter who tries to convince or even beg me, I have rarely picked up a game that I set aside so it must have been some feat to make me play it again. :P

And oh, I'd plug the other thread that actually motivated me to register on SA but I'd prefer to throw out something else first. After getting Archives access first, preferably.

• Locked thread