Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
LP REQUESTS DO NOT GO IN THIS THREAD, THEY GO HERE
:siren: NEW CHANGE DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND :siren:
Offsite recommendations are allowed in this thread. Note that only the best of the best offsite LPs should be recommended, not just some random Youtube poo poo you happened to watch one night because you were bored. Please don't bog this thread down with recommendations of mediocre Youtube LPs. Also, all below rules also apply to offsite recommendations (ie. you still cannot recommend your own LPs)

There's been a lot of negativity in the forum lately, so I figured, why not do something that we can all appreciate? With all of the LPs out there, how do I know which ones are worth my time and which ones aren't? Sure, we have the rating system, but a lot of pretty good threads slip under the radar, so here's your chance to give some recognition to threads that may not necessarily have it.

:siren: Rules/Recommendations :siren:

1) DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR THREAD OR A THREAD THAT YOU'RE A PART OF (ie. guest commentating)!

This isn't meant to be a "pimp your thread" thread. It's meant for LPers and LP fans to recommend other LPs to watch. We have the Sandcastle where you can talk about your thread.

2) If you want to respond to people talking about your thread, go right ahead, but don't shoehorn your thread into the conversation. Example:

LP Fanboy #1 posted:

You know, I'm really enjoying Static Fiend's Prey LP.

Proteus4994 posted:

Well, if you love his thread, check out Daikatana!

That's lame.

3) Along the same lines, don't ask why nobody's talking about your thread. In fact, it's probably best off if you never ever mention your threads at all. If you want to know why nobody's talking about your thread, use the Sandcastle or your thread itself.

4) Feel free to talk about gold rated threads if you want, but the idea behind this thread is to advertise some of the threads that might have fallen under the radar. We all know Chewbot's Animal Crossing thread (for example) is spectacular, so it's kinda redundant to put it in here, but if you want to, go ahead.

5) Try to give some sort of substantual reason for why you like the thread.

Marry me, taxi posted:

dongs.exe is the best LP ever! taxidermistpasta is so funny!

While this might be true, it's kind of a lousy description of why I should check out his LP. Try to give good reasons. Treat this thread more like it's in Game/Film Dump instead of like it's in PYF.

If you can't give a good reason why you like the thread, I can't give you a good reason why I'd follow your suggestion and watch it.

6) Try to curtail discussion that isn't directly related to a recommendation.

I know sometimes someone might say something that might make you want to respond, but try to keep the conversation limited to either a recommendation or something involving recommendations. For example, the following is OK.

"Hey, I wanted to follow poster X's recommendation, but the Vimeo links are all dead. Is there a mirror?"

But this is not.

"Vimeo sucks because they disallow LPs and try to brand themselves as an arthouse hosting site. No one should ever go to Vimeo. Also, they raped my dog."

If you want to discuss stuff like why Viddler sucks or the best way to host screenshots or ask where Deceased Crab went, please use the Sandcastle.

I've had to be something of a dick about this lately, but in my ideal world (which will never happen), this thread would be nothing but well-constructed recommendations, well-constructed comments about recommendations, and well-constructed requests for recommendations. This is not a discussion thread. Please don't treat it like one. That's not to say you can't agree with someone's recommendation or anything like that, but if you do, please post a few sentences about why you agree, not just "gently caress yeah that thread owns!"

7) Not only do all SA Forums, Games forum, and LP forum rules apply here (obviously), but Sandcastle rules also apply. No interest checks in this thread. If people are recommending an LP of a game, you can safely assume they'd probably want to see another one (as long as it's not lovely).

8) Lately the thread has been full of "Has anyone done game X?" USE THE loving MASTER LIST! THIS IS WHY IT EXISTS!

I guess I'll start us off. If this thread turns out lousy, I'll close it, but I'm hoping we can keep drama out of here.

:siren: If someone posts a recommendation about a thread that you think is awful, you should probably just keep quiet about it. Just because you hate it doesn't mean everyone will. In almost three years, I have yet to see someone recommend a truly objectively terrible thread (note: this is not a challenge). I've seen plenty of recommendations for threads I didn't care for, but different strokes for different folks. :siren:

Nethack - Lobster Maneuver (SSLP)

This thread serves not only as a pretty good introduction to Nethack, but LM is really close to ascending his samurai, which means that the thread is moving well and there's very little repetition as one might expect from a Nethack LP (ie. I died over and over again, so here's the first floor of the dungeon over and over again). It's a very informative LP and both beginners and experts alike can read it and enjoy the way he's playing. Plus, there's some pretty good discussion about the game itself going on in the thread. If the whole ASCII art thing doesn't scare you off, it's a great way to learn about Nethack.

Quake - Wugga (VLP)

Wugga had some technical problems when he started the thread, which is unfortunate, because it probably drove a lot of the viewers away from the thread. However, those are fixed for the most part, and you get to see a pretty drat good Quake player blitz through the original game, and then try his hand at the expansions, which he has never played before. He even did a blind run of one of the stages, which was hilarious in its glitchiness. So far the first game and the first expansion pack are done, but there's still another expansion to go, plus it looks like some Quake deathmatch is going to get off the ground soon, which will be cool.

Hexen 2 - Suspicious (VLP)

OK, so this thread is basically over, but hell, it's on page 3, so I figure I have the chance to hype it. Everyone probably knows that Suspicious is my boy, but you guys get to see him actually play a game without me dragging him down. I don't think this thread is quite as good as Hexen and Heretic were (also done by Suspicious), but that's mainly because the game kinda sucks. If anyone wants to watch someone just completely humiliate a game, this is the thread for you. Plus, Hexen has some neat features that differentiate it from many other FPS games (like inherant powers and a leveling system and a ton of useable items), so it's kinda cool from that aspect too.

Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops - Lockmat (VLP)

I'm totally biased on this one, but it's been in the planning stages for a while, and it's good to see it finally get off the ground. Secret Ops was the expansion to WCP, and was ludicriously difficult in comparison. Lockmat is pretty drat good at the Wing Commander games (you have to be if you're going to justify getting a Kilrathi tattoo on you), and he's playing this at a fairly high difficulty rating, so it's going to be pretty wild once he gets to some of the harder stages. Worth a shot if you like space flying action or followed the Wing Commander games. If not, it's a good introduction.

No One Lives Forever - Vexation (VLP)

Yeah, I'm gay for FPS LPs. Sue me. NOLF is one of those games that kinda slipped through the radar back in the day, mainly because of the games it came out at the same time as, but it's a great game and fun to watch. Extremely story-driven (think Austin Powers in FPS format), Vexation decided to do subtitles instead of commentary, and for this game it works perfectly. The conversations are hilarious, the intelligence items are hilarious, and most importantly, Vexation knows how to sit back, shut up, and let the game speak for itself when it needs to.

Edit: If a game looks good or you want to follow someone's suggestion and you don't have archives, try looking in The LP Archives. Odds are it's in there.

Edit 2: Now that this thread is stickied, I guess I should point out in the OP (it's mentioned later in the thread somewhere) that this is also meant for asking for recommendations. In other words, feel free to post something like "Hey, I liked X's LP of Y. Is there anything like that that anyone can recommend?" Although it would be very helpful if you posted exactly what you liked about it, so people could make better recommendations.

Edit 3: I shouldn't have to say this, but don't recommend threads that just started. I can't give a concrete number of how many updates or whatever a thread should have before you recommend it, but I would suggest that the LP should at least be 1/4 to 1/3 complete before you post a recommendation. You don't know if the thread is going to be abandoned or if it's all going to go downhill from a great start or whatever. Just don't do this. Even if you've loved every other LP the person has done and they've never abandoned anything before ever, don't do it. It waters down both your recommendation and the recommendations of everyone else in here.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Syvalion posted:

Can we pimp threads that seem to have died off that we really want to see continue? Because I was totally loving the Fire Emblem LP and hope whatever issues the OP has will be resolved soon so she can pick it up again :smith:

Sure, I don't have a problem with anything people post in here, as long as it's not "HEY LOOK AT MY THREAD IT'S GREAT!"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Norris Duncan posted:

I'm going to take the time to compliment Adinsxyz's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread. He hasn't been updating quite so often, and I'm afraid he's starting to lose his steam, but he has a hilarious, goofy commentating style that keeps even the boring parts of the game afloat. It has its technical problems, but the fun and sheerly lovable qualities make it one of my favorite Lets Play threads. Even though it's not gold (which it should be).

This is exactly the kind of post I'm looking for. Hell, I think I'll check the thread out.

Thanks for the submissions, guys. I've already seen a couple LPs that I had originally skimmed over that are pretty good. I hope this takes off.

I also liked Sinix's reviews. I don't mind seeing stuff like that in here either, as long as it's not all negative.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I think most people already know about raocow, which is why it hasn't been mentioned. But it never hurts to remind people.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2007

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

taxidermistpasta posted:

Any full motion video LP makes me far more happy than it should. The LP's for Harvester and Phantasmagoria have made me so happy I don't know who to hug after completing them. Mostly because fullmotionvideo games have amazing orchestration and acting talent crammed into their 27 cds.

I agree completely with these. Those lovely old FMV suspense/horror games are great LP material, and they always seem to be done well.

I'm still waiting on someone to do Night Trap, though. I suggested that slowbeef do that back when he was finishing up with Snatcher.

Also, guys, if someone already mentioned the thread you wanted to mention, go right ahead and mention it again. I don't know about everyone else, but if three or four people recommend the same LP, I'll be sure to check it out.

I checked out Ouendan 2 on slowbeef's recommendation last night, and now I'm working on STALKER.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 30, 2007

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

VSharp posted:

One of my favorite threads here has been Egomaniac's Siren thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679383&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'll be honest, I heard a lot of people saying it was a great thread, and I started watching it and didn't understand what the big deal was. But if you stick with it past the first few videos, it turned out to be a drat good thread. And it's not that the first videos suck, it's just that the game starts out slow and confusing.

Looking forward to Siren 2.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Bumping my own thread to recommend Vexation's FPS Emporium thread. As I said in his thread, I love watching competant people play lovely games, so this one is a no brainer. He picks some of the more obscure FPS games and tries to play through them. Some are good, some are awful, and some are just lazy. But regardless, they're all fun to watch.

Edit: Upon further consideration, none of the games are actually good now that we browbeat him into doing a separate NOLF thread. Which only serves to make the thread better.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Bumping this thread to draw attention.

I'm going to go ahead and break my own recommendations in the OP and suggest LordMune's five-star Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit thread (it's already been mentioned, but I'll mention it again). When the thread started, I was originally unsure of his "two playthroughs of the same level" gimmick until I watched it, and it really works. Seeing the difference between a fuckup playthrough and a good playthrough is fun, and different enough to justify watching both. And that's not even mentioning the game itself, which is so loving bizarre that it's really really entertaining viewing.

Support our LP troops. :patriot:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Deceased Crab posted:

It's been said before in this thread, but it must be said again: You have to read Nakar's Ultima LPs. They're screenshots, they're very detailed, they explore the entire game and most of the cheating, and most importantly, they're utterly hilarious. Nakar is one of the best writers in the LP Subforum. He should write books, I tell you.

Serpent Isle and Silver Seed may end up being his last Ultima thread for all I know. 1-3 predates Brittania and the quest/fellowship of the Avatar, 8 eliminates the fellowship entirely and is a solo endeavor, and 9 has already been done but is yet another solo expedition. I for one am sorry he is running out of good Ultimas to LP.

Anyone who tells me they aren't reading his threads is a fool.

DC and I might argue over........everything, but we're going to have to agree to agree on this one. Nakar's threads are outstanding. Steve the Avatar is probably the best written sociopathic main character I have ever seen in an LP (she's not evil, just completely amoral), and it's consistently hilarious.

One thing I will disagree with DC about is that if you haven't read Nakar's threads, don't read Serpent Isle. Read Ultima 4, 5, and 6 first, then hunt down the Ultima VII thread (which I don't think has been archived quite yet), THEN read Serpent Isle.

Ultima 4 isn't his best work, but Ultima 5 is good, by Ultima 6, the thread is gut-bustingly funny.

Edit: And once you get done reading those, bug him to do U8.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 29, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

This is a shameless bump, but not without content. I'll recommend Blister's SiN thread. Blister's pretty amusing, and just bad enough at the game to keep it pretty intense (yet he avoids the constant deaths that plague a lot of the other LPs). Like I've said before, I'm a sucker for FPS threads, and this is one of the better ones out there right now. Just ignore the masterbatory fodder in the actual thread itself and you'll be fine.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Tourette Meltdown posted:

GODHAND is easily the best game in existence. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2784203

See, this is what I'm trying to avoid in this thread. Sure, GODHAND might be the best game ever made, but is the LP any good? Why? Your post in no way makes me want to read that thread.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Captain Novolin posted:

KINGDOM COME: An Epic Paradox Mega-Game 1187-1954 A.D. deserves to be repeated. It is a well written narrative that explains the basics of the game(s) so that your average reader knows what is going on.

This is a really good LP. I mean REALLY good.

But the updating schedule is brutal. It's been going on since October and it's just over half finished. That's Deus Ex scheduling there. :v:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Lairek posted:

You have to remember that since october Fintilgin has played trough 2 entire games already. A paradox mega-game is a daunting and timeconsuming task! (But yes... I do miss the more regular updates)

Fair enough, but there have been two weeks or more between updates more than once.

I'm not going to thread poo poo and turn my own thread into Harsh Criticism, I just wanted to point out the one problem I had with an otherwise outstanding LP.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

One thread that I think might be slipping underneath peoples' radar is Jade Star's Alien Shooter thread. I just clicked on it out of a whim (never having watched the Fail Pile so having no idea who Jade Star was) and was pleasantly surprised. The fact that it reminds me a lot of Crimsonland sucked me in immediately, but the commentary is mostly enjoyable (besides my minor complaint in his thread), and he's pretty good at the game.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I'd like to take this time to talk about two of, in my opinion, the best subtitlers on the LP forum. Egomaniac (currently doing Siren 2) and Vexation (currently finishing up Shogo). Anyone who is even considering doing a subtitled LP should be required to watch these two guys first. They take different approaches to subtitling, as well as the games they play, but both do an outstanding job with it. Egomaniac's approach is to play atmospheric horror games with informative subtitles that are used sparingly (Siren 2 being an exception since he has to subtitle all of the commentary) but informatively. Vexation's approach is to play campy games with sarcastic witty subtitles that are also used sparingly, but to hilarious effect. Both of these guys show that you don't need to cram War and Peace into your subtitles to keep a viewer's interest. If the game is good enough, it can speak for itself.

More subtitlers need to realize that the subtitles aren't intended to distract you from the game and therefore you don't need something down there all the loving time. These two guys get it.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Vexation posted:

Kiss my rear end all you want, I'm not doing any more Global Ops. :colbert:

I'm on the NOLF2 bandwagon. I gave up hope on Global Ops.

Plus I bought Counter-Strike: Source so now I can get my fill of lovely retarded bots any time I want.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I want to point out two threads I think are kinda unappreciated.

Guitaroo Man by Brass Monkey is very well done and I don't just say this because I have tentative plans of doing Parappa very similarly and the game is a lot of fun to watch. The commentary is informative and obviously in subtitles, and it just ends up being very unobtrusive, which is good in a game like this. While I'm not a huge fan of the music, the game is fun enough to watch someone who's good play that I don't even really mind it.

The other one is Castlevania 64 by Evil Tim. Normally I can't stand rambling LPs, but there's something about the way that Evil Tim does it that manages to be consistently funny. It might be that he points out every single flaw in a game that has plenty or is just making fun of the stupidity of it, it's definitely worth watching.

Now I have to go flame some people to make up for this douchebag happiness. :v:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Every LP has its rabid fans, even the terrible ones, and if this thread had a wider audience, eventually every LP in the forum would get mentioned here and there'd be no distinction between the really good and the not-so-good ones.

You're assuming that every person who pops up to write some trite catchphrase in a lovely LP is going to be equally motivated to come in here and write up a review for that person's thread. I don't see it happening.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

doctor masaki posted:

Funnily though naff justifications for reading a thread and naff threads themselves seem to go hand in hand.

Well, I figure this thread will end up "policing" itself in that regard, in that if someone recommends a thread with little to no justification, I wouldn't expect very many people to check it out. I know I'm certainly not going to read a thread if someone simply goes "He's the lulz!!!!" In fact, that'd make me actively avoid it.

Edit: Along those lines, I want to encourage everyone to police this thread. If someone makes a recommendation that sucks, tell them. Not necessarily in a "your post sucks" comment, but ask them to clarify or expand on certain points. This includes my posts or anyone else's. The only way we're going to get quality recommendations is if everyone contributes. On the flip side, though, try to do it fairly politely so this thread doesn't become a flame war.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 8, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

slowbeef posted:

When I first saw the title "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Ripper," I began to wonder what I should change that catchphrase in the title to. However, this thread contains:

- Christopher Walken
- "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Both of which combined make the joke actually appropriate. It also contains:

- Hilarious Full Motion Video Acting
- Paul Giamatti

So, I gotta highly recommend the Ripper thread.

I also want to recommend this thread. It is absolutely wonderfully done, with all of the bullshit cut out and just an all-around good editing job.

Ripper is like the Phantasmagoria thread from way back, but done in the style that Vexation did Grim Fandango. Very highly enjoyable.

Edit: I also agree that the thread title is appropriate once you understand the context, but I held off on clicking on the thread for at least a week because of it.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 2, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

slowbeef posted:

I still think five stickied threads is a lot for LP, but I think it could be helpful, so I've stickied this for 3 days to see how it goes.

Proteus, if you'd prefer me not to do this for whatever reason, I can undo it.

I don't mind, but I really need to revamp the OP, since I'd like to turn it into a thread where people can ask for suggestions too, such as "I liked so-and-so's LP because of this, what else would I like?"

Speaking of which, feel free to use it for that too.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

DarkDude98 posted:

Anyone know why the archives are down and how long until they're up?

Archives went down when they made the changes to the forum. Nobody knows when they'll be up.

Try The LP Archive. A lot of them are in there.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I'd like to give a shout out to The Lone Wolf series. There's no fancy editing, or hilarious screenshots, or broken gameplay videos, or any of that. It's just some books. But it was a MOTHERFUCKING TWENTY BOOK SERIES that was actually completed, and I think for that sort of a labor of love, it deserves all the respect in the world. The thread is over now, but I still want to recommend it to anyone who's bored at work. I've read about half of it off and on throughout the life of the thread, and even though there's nothing really technically impressive about it, I can't help but hold a huge amount of respect for any one (or, in this case, two) people who are willing to LP a 20 book series. Great job.

Now go out and get some loving sunshine. :v:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Mr.Flibble posted:

It's a youtube lp !!GASP!! but I always liked Chaz Dragoon's lp of "Wild Arms".
Playtist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=444A6DEC3432B78E

Dude, are you loving kidding me?

(I know it's not Wild Arms, but it's still the same guy)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I, for one, would love to see more LPs like I Have No Mouth.... and rear end-kissing alert Darkseed. I think Ripper did a pretty good job of capturing that feel a few months ago, even if it was a VLP.

I'm probably going to get ripped on for this, but I really feel like, while VLPs have drastically increased in quality since the creation of this forum, SSLPs have actually gotten worse (this is a generalization, of course there have been some really good SSLPs and some really bad VLPs). But again, that's just my opinion.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Zutaten posted:

Also I can assume you're not referring to picture quality when you say this, rather commentary quality?

I had typed out a bunch of poo poo nobody wanted to read, but I think I'll sum it up like this.

A VLP is, in my opinion, much easier to do simply because if your commentary sucks or you sound like Steve Urkel or whatever, I'm easily distracted by what's going on in the game and can usually tune the commentator out if I want to. In a SSLP, on the other hand, you're on stage and there's no competition. I'm pretty much relying you on getting the story across. If you suck or aren't funny, it's FAR more noticeable in a SSLP.

It also seems like people feel almost compelled to SSLP every single RPG ever made. Guys, sometimes a game just shouldn't be LPed. If you can't do anything interesting with it, don't LP it. If your LP is basically a screenshot, then a summary of the plot, then another screenshot, then another summary of the plot, the screenshots are basically superfluous and I can get the rest on GameFAQs if I really care. My favorite SSLPs have almost universally either been adventure games, or RPGs where the author really did something unique with the thread (Scorchy's KOTOR2 thread, Nakar's Ultima threads, etc).

I dunno, like I said, this could go back and forth for a long time because everyone enjoys their own thing. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and they're wrong, but hey, you asked. :v:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Jamesman posted:

What you don't like about screenshot LPs might be what someone else loves.

Which is why I openly said about five times that it was just my opinion and that people were free to disagree. But if what someone else loves about SSLPs is the vast number of them that are no more than "screenshot, plot summary, screenshot, more plot summary, 12 screenshots of a battle, dialogue transcript"..........I don't even know what to say about that. :v:

Also, VLPs don't have to transcribe dialogue, so it forces the LPer to actually come up with something else to talk about. In my opinion (I'll emphasize that part for you), that's a good thing.

Edit: To prove I don't hate everything, however, I will recommend b00n's FEAR thread. Never once did I think that I'd ever recommend a b00n thread but he took every piece of criticism to heart from his Doom 3 and HL2 threads, and he's doing a pretty good job with FEAR. Subtitles help maintain the atmosphere of the game, plus, the video quality on his own hosting is loving amazing.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 24, 2008

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

dshban posted:

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Bolding is mine - when commentary is sometimes entertaining (although you may be joking here), that's not a great sign.

gently caress you, jerk. This is supposed to be a thread about positivity and happiness. In fact, I'm so pissed off at you that I'm going to recommend Survivor: Internet, by some rear end in a top hat. This is an honestly funny LP. The game itself sucks, but whatever jerk made the thread decided it'd be even funnier to add in random video clips, which actually works quite well. The style's probably closest to Diabetus' style, although I wouldn't say it's a ripoff by any means. Just a good, funny LP.

I really need to write up some recommendations of some of the LPs I've been watching lately, but I'm horribly lazy and it's exam week. Maybe next week or something.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Dectilon posted:

This is terribly sad, but it just seems like few games or sophisticated or unique enough to be worthy of ResearchIndicates. The only game I can think of off the top of my head that could perhaps, maybe be a good fit is the original Deus Ex.

For the record, this is creepy as gently caress and a great example of what not to do in this thread.

If you want to recommend LPs, great, use this thread. If you want to have some sort of twisted hero worship for people who talk over video games, please don't use this thread.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

McFetusBurger posted:

Here's a little list of LP's in the style you seem to be looking for. It's by no means complete.
Ultima IV-VI
Part 1 and part 2 of Ultima VII
Just for completion's sake, Martian Dreams

These three LPs should be required reading for anyone who wants to try to do a humorous SSLP. I mean, I really don't read SSLPs for the most part, but these were great. I wish there were more like them. Or, rather, I wish Nakar would do U8.

You're not going to find very much that both Deceased Crab and I agree on, but we both loved these LPs, so take that for what it's worth.

Edit: Honestly, I don't think Nakar hits his stride until around the middle of Ultima 5, so give it until then at least.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

McFetusBurger posted:

This isn't to say the earlier ones aren't worth reading - they certainly are - but the humor and the style really pick up at the end of 5.

The earlier ones kinda tell a lot of backstory about the series and stuff, and in retrospect, I'm not sure if U6 and 7 would have been as good if he hadn't done all of the backstory parts fairly straightforwardly in U4 and 5.

I dunno, I'm over analyzing it. It's good. Let's just leave it at that.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

dshban posted:

Stop recommending Deceased Crab he is terrible.

dshban posted:

His "best" video is of him not playing a game.

Wrong thread for this poo poo, slappy.

Edit: Let's be fair.

Zutaten posted:

Anything dshban ever did.

No. Seriously.

Mesothelioma posted:

What are some terrible Let's Plays ? Besides DeceasedCrab's videos

You two knock it off too.

There's a reason I start the opening post by telling people to leave retarded loving drama out of here.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2009

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

McFetusBurger posted:

So long as we're talking about the OP, you may want to update the suggestions you put up there to current LPs. Most of the ones there now require archives.

Also if you do wind up editing the OP, I noticed you spelled substantial as substantual. Doesn't really matter but I thought you'd like to know.

I put a note in there a while back to check the LP Archives if you wanted to see some of the ones that were in the regular forum archives.

And I'll try to fix that next time I update the OP if I remember. It's quite a substantual problem.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Jade Star posted:

I can edit it out if it starts trouble with the rules, no problem.

No, no problems. I just really don't want this to be the thread where everyone talks about how great their own thread is. I don't see any real issues recommending one of your LPs if you made one that fits a particular style that someone is looking for.

I do reserve the right to change my mind on this if people start being douches about it, though. :colbert:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Jade Star posted:

I was a bit offed by OatmealRaisins immediate use of 'cheat' weapons, the unlockable 1 hit kills everything gun. Now I'm sure it's drat handy when going for a save eveyones rear end run, but the presence of the all powerful safety net gun really seems to eat at the atmosphere of Dead Rising. He even blasts the first boss with the thing. It's immersion breaking for the LP. Speed run? Blast away! But this doesn't feel quite right. It's a zombie game, you're not supposed to have an 'I Win' button in your back pocket.

You should probably post this in his thread. I'm not saying that nobody can have differing opinions in here. In fact, I have no problems with this post whatsoever, and anyone who disagrees with a recommendation and has a well thought-out reason for doing so is more than welcome to post it in here (again, I also reserve the right to change my mind on this one too, because this thread was supposed to be the opposite of the very old and very dead Harsh Criticism thread, but I'm certainly not going to tell people they can't disagree). But ultimately, I think it'll serve him better if you post it in there too, because it sounds like you have a reasonably valid point, and not everyone reads this thread.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 25, 2009

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ninja economist posted:

I just want to tell you all that there's an awesome Ultima Underworld II LP thread. Check it out.

Proteus4994 posted:

5) Try to give some sort of substantual reason for why you like the thread.

While this might be true, it's kind of a lousy description of why I should check out his LP. Try to give good reasons. Treat this thread more like it's in Game/Film Dump instead of like it's in PYF.

If you can't give a good reason why you like the thread, I can't give you a good reason why I'd follow your suggestion and watch it.

This is a perfect example of how NOT to recommend a thread.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Taibo posted:

I just watched this. There are like 4 videos of nothing but them babbling and playing the same section over and over. I skipped a video and they were still in the same place trying to figure out a simple task. Jesus that was annoying.

SCM wasn't exactly a traditional LP in the sense where you were watching it for the game, it was more of an LP in the sense that it was a really horrible game with a really lovely concept behind it, and Taxi/Volli were basically hilarious in making fun of it. But I guess it's not for everyone.

Jade Star posted:

Also sorry Proteus, I seem to be really bad at this recommendation thing since I keep finding my posts in the gray areas.

No problems. Honestly, it's kinda good to have these gray areas because I made this thread a long rear end time ago when we still had the Harsh Criticism thread and things like that.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

baldurk posted:

Short answer: yes

Long answer: I think a lot of that LP has disappeared since, because I seem to remember trying to archive it a while back and finding that bits were gone.

It's a shame, I remember it being pretty decent too.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

BurntToast posted:

Hey awesome, thanks. Amazed someone was able to able to find it so fast, three minutes after I posted.

I would, without hesitation, recommend anything by TaxidermistPaste/TaxidermistPasta and VollipopMambo. Super Columbine RPG (in the LP archive) and Bubble Bobble (lost to the sands of time, but I think some of the videos might still be on Google) are both really really funny.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

SPop6 posted:

The things I would do for an LP thread for The 7th Guest or the 11th Hour...

Beyond the fact that the 7th Guest was already done by Malorie, as has been pointed out, this is not a requests thread. We have a thread for that. Don't use this one for requesting LPs. kthxbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Null Set posted:

ok seriously what is wrong with you

gently caress you, that's probably the best recommendation in this thread. I'm sold.

• Locked thread