Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Ack, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to dogpile. There's no rush and I am happy to swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

When I buy yarn 90% of the time I don't have any plans for it. I'm too wowed by cheap and nice yarn. At least it's all quality stuff.

Same here. I went crazy and bought a bunch of stuff at Tuesday Morning because they had some pretty Universal Yarns stuff for super cheap. I got sweater quantities in two color ways, but I also have SQ of yarn in a couple other yarns too. So it'll probably sit in my stash forever. BUT ITS SO PRETTY.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
No problem, Valdara! It's really hard to part with soft, smooshy things :kimchi:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

suddenly cats posted:

No problem, Valdara! It's really hard to part with soft, smooshy things :kimchi:

Ugh tell me about it. I have two skeins of a discontinued Kureyon colorway that ravelers keep messaging me wanting to buy, but I JUST CAN'T PART WITH IT.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I hosed up. I've been working on this shawl forever, and for some reason didn't think to consider what bind off to use and just mechanically bound that poo poo off with the knit one, slip stitch over, non-stretchy bind off and hosed up the whole thing. I also have zero desire to un bind off the whole loving thing, since I barely had enough yarn for this and would have to rip out the entire last two rows to get enough yarn for a stretchy bind off. So pissed at me right now.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Valdara posted:

I hosed up. I've been working on this shawl forever, and for some reason didn't think to consider what bind off to use and just mechanically bound that poo poo off with the knit one, slip stitch over, non-stretchy bind off and hosed up the whole thing. I also have zero desire to un bind off the whole loving thing, since I barely had enough yarn for this and would have to rip out the entire last two rows to get enough yarn for a stretchy bind off. So pissed at me right now.

I have more than once just found a similar-weight yarn in my stash to do the bind-off with. I have several shawls that are one color and then something completely different (usually complimentary, but not always!) for the very last row or bind-off.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Pucklynn posted:

I have more than once just found a similar-weight yarn in my stash to do the bind-off with. I have several shawls that are one color and then something completely different (usually complimentary, but not always!) for the very last row or bind-off.

I thought about that, but since i was going to have to undo the bind off, anyway, unraveling the row before wasn't that much more work. It's now bound with Jenny's, so it's actually shawl shaped instead of bowl shaped. Definitely a learning experience. I was in the process of weaving in ends when my cat barged in and laid down across the shawl in my lap, so apparently I'll finish weaving the ends in and block it later.

Edit: Finished the shawl I hate. And maybe I don't hate it quite so much anymore.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 30, 2015

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I will eventually join in on the destashing because I have an embarrassment of yarn that needs to go to loving homes instead of taking up an entire room of my house. I need room for more spinning wheels and a floor loom and more yarn.

I'm knitting a pair of Rose City Rollers in Manos del Uruguay Alegria, colorway Locura Fluor and they are very Lisa Frank Barf. I love them.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Just finished this shawl: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gail-aka-nightsongs

I don't recommend it if you haven't ever knit a shawl before (or a flat shawl; I have knit round shawls before, but those are easy with the pattern repeats). This actually isn't a difficult pattern to follow, but the original pattern doesn't have all of the information that one would need in order to knit the shawl correctly. If one blindly followed the pattern/chart, one would end up with a completely different shawl.

So I now have a new rule when it comes to choosing patterns: Be wary of patterns that include FAQs.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

a friendly penguin posted:

Just finished this shawl: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gail-aka-nightsongs

I don't recommend it if you haven't ever knit a shawl before (or a flat shawl; I have knit round shawls before, but those are easy with the pattern repeats).

Your shawl came out absolutely beautiful!

I agree with you, though, just after seeing her "there are no errors, you're all just terrible" notes on the pattern.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

It came out very lovely! That's a great color, too.

hamjobs posted:

Your shawl came out absolutely beautiful!

I agree with you, though, just after seeing her "there are no errors, you're all just terrible" notes on the pattern.

I had to see for myself:

a helpful knitter on the pattern page posted:

As an avid shawl knitter, I would like to make a suggestion that might make the pattern easier for novices. In the pattern you say to knit seven repeats of rows 3 through 33. This may be misleading as it doesn’t include parts of the pattern repeat that need to be knit.

:bravo:

the designer posted:

To the naysayers and party poopers out there, I’d like to remind you that:

you’re not forced to knit this pattern, if there are mistakes in any of the versions is because the people working on it are only humans,
we’re only humans. If you cannot deal with mistakes, move on and go find something else to knit,
did you notice that we are doing this FOR FREE? Do you really think the best way to repay us is by trashing us over the internet?

:downsbravo:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Wow, I've never seen that rant used outside of video game mods and webcomics before.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's all over the place. Anytime someone puts work on the internet for free, that rant is waiting in the wings.

Anyway, it looks like it turned out great! I've made it too, and I think I ended up using a different chart that someone else had made because yeah, original pattern is poo poo. Not hard, just very poorly written. I think I started it three times trying to figure out what the hell to do, but after that it was easy.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Holy moly that woman is nuts.

'It's not my fault you can't read my shittily written pattern!'

e: ha ha ha:

the designer on the comments page posted:

How adorable! For some reason you decided it was appropriate to, out of the blue, try to educate a person who is old enough to be your mother on proper behavior.

May I remind you that Ravelry is an international community - what you might consider proper might be a huge no-no for other people. For example, without knowing the reason behind my notes on this pattern, you decided to reach out and school me on how “petty” I was.
Where I come from, it’s appalling to approach a complete stranger and tell them how to act and what to do.

That said, the notes will stay. I had a reason to post them.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 4, 2015

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thank you all for the compliments but thank you more for making me feel not as stupid for totally having a brain aneurism over the pattern.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm working on my first shawl (Pretty basic is the name of the pattern) and I tried to make sense of the one linked. :( I guess I have a long ways to go.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

hamjobs posted:

I'm knitting a pair of Rose City Rollers in Manos del Uruguay Alegria, colorway Locura Fluor and they are very Lisa Frank Barf. I love them.

This got lost in the shawl stuff, but I highly approve of Lisa Frank-esque socks. I love loud socks!

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm working on my first shawl (Pretty basic is the name of the pattern) and I tried to make sense of the one linked. :( I guess I have a long ways to go.

The one linked is more like trying to follow a Splendid Table cookbook recipe. Unless you already are a comfortable cook, you won't see what's been left out, what's wrong, or what could be done an easier way. (I love listening to the Splendid Table but their cookbooks need a better editor.) I wouldn't be discouraged in any way by that pattern. There are plenty more that make sense!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sodium Chloride posted:

Knitters are loving insane. I'm different, of course. And you guys are okay too, I guess.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Pile of Kittens posted:

Knitters are loving insane. I'm different, of course. And you guys are okay too, I guess.

Hand to God truth right here, folks. Knitters be crazy.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

marchantia posted:

Hand to God truth right here, folks. Knitters be crazy.

Stories?

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Sodium Chloride posted:

e: ha ha ha:

I agreed with the person that posted above her rant about strangers calling out bad behavior. I used to have this pattern in my favorites but all the back and forth about it made me not want to knit it. Yes it's a free pattern but if the designer isn't willing to support it she should probably just say that up front and let that be the end of it. I find it a little crazy she's referring people to the community for help, for written instructions vs charted, her excuse being she's only knit the pattern the way she wrote it and hasn't done so for many years. Then when other people modified her pattern to make it work she gets upset that they've added double yarn overs and whatnot and is getting questions about that. Feels hypocritical to send people with questions out to the community then criticize the community for making modifications in an attempt to help said people with questions.

On another note I'm knitting the Rose City Rollers too! Only I'm not a fan of the rolled edge but wanted ankle socks so I did 2x2 ribbing instead. It is a very nice well written pattern for me to jump back into socks after a long time away.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I finished the mitts I've been working on. I tell you what I had to frog and re-knit these bitches many times, because I kept loving up the lace, but they turned out ok. I decided not to pad the palms yet and see how well this amount of cushion works, then weave in any extra cushion that I need. This is from two different balls of yarn I spun two different ways, and there's effectively no difference between them, so that's interesting. The main difference is that one was just slightly larger than the other, so it was working up a lot bigger. I ended up going down a needle size on that one and increasing tension while decreasing tension on the other. They ended up close enough to the same size for me. This type of thumb works surprisingly well, and it's perfect for biking when my thumb won't be out to the side.

OMG filterz

Back

Palm

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Peppercat posted:

Only I'm not a fan of the rolled edge but wanted ankle socks so I did 2x2 ribbing instead. It is a very nice well written pattern for me to jump back into socks after a long time away.

Yes! I am sockphobic (too many socks knit in college, I was young and needed the hobby) but these were fun. I am going to pick up the rolled edge and knit some form of stripes with some gray Malabrigo Sock striped with the Alegria, though, just because it needs something to hold them up.

Val, those mitts turned out nice. I like the striping on the yarn. :D

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Those are nice mitts! And I want to try giving socks a go. I have some King Cole DK I saved up for a pair, and some double pointed needles.

But I'm working on this shawl first. I'm on section 6 of 6 of the body in Pretty Basic. I'm proud that lifelines and learning to tink has kept me from frogging it over and over. I love Witch Candy's yarns, but she apparently looped the hank so I had to get help winding it. It was kind of weird.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I knew this was a possibility, but I didn't think it would happen quite so fast. One day = two rides = already starting to felt. Also, they aren't nearly cushy enough. They are pretty, so I'm going to stop using them for biking and figure out another plan. Sad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not positive, but it looks like two plies spun pretty loosely? To minimize felting, try not just superwash, but also a lot of plies tightly spun. That should hopefully cut down on pilling and general rattiness too, although it may not feel the nicest.

e: you can also get leather bits to sew on, usually for slipper soles, but I bet they'd be great for your palm for this

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 7, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Basically, spin as you would for socks. They're going to be fulfilling roughly the same function.

When I spun myself some bike gloves I did fairly tight n-ply with superwash wool. For padding/durability I did seed stitch across the palm. (linen might've worked even better, so consider that if you have enough yarn) They did felt and pill a little, but no holes after a couple years of rough use and that's the important part. They're not going to stay pristine no matter what you do, but you can minimize wear.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

A friend of mine is huge on dragons, and I was wondering how well knitted scale mail worked? Like knitting some scales into a dice bag?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Val, you might want to use something that's a sturdier longwool or even a (non-felting type) down breed, if you can't find a superwash you like that will hold up to lots of wear and tear, too. A little bit of nylon in a blend would help; I've even had good luck with stuff like sock-grade kid mohair blended with nylon for things like mitts. The leather palm combined with the linen stitch should help, too; also yes to plying for high twist.

I need to finish my second set of RCRs this week; I have a sequence knitting seminar on Thursday and I anticipate starting a sweater that evening as well as TdF.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

You can also just go ahead and let it felt - I did that with some socks that I was wearing with shoes a lot, and it only progressed to a certain point, then kinda like a callous it just decided it was sturdy enough and stayed as it was.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Thanks for all the advice on mitts! I'll begin that spinning as my TdF after I've finished the samples I'm working through. The only superwash I have is a 50/50 tencel/superwash merino blend. Think that'll work?

turtleluvr
Apr 19, 2015

"mhhr mmmrr mhhh mhhm"
For the biking mitts you can also do something on the palm like you would do for the heel flap of a sock. Like maybe *k1,s1* on the odd rows and then *k* on the even rows just along the palm part (i'm assuming that you're doing this in the round). It has a slightly "ribby" appearance, but it's a little cushier/thicker and more durable, that's why many people use this for the heel flap of their socks.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

A friend of mine is huge on dragons, and I was wondering how well knitted scale mail worked? Like knitting some scales into a dice bag?

It's crochet, but you could try crocodile stitch?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Aerofallosov posted:

This is definitely a thing. I haven't done it myself but you should search Rav. I'm sure it's been done for dice bags specifically.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Aerofallosov posted:

I've done it myself--I've made a scaled dice bag, and some scaled mitts for my best friend. I wasn't completely satisfied with the dice bag, but I suspect it's mostly because I was making the pattern up as I went and it came out really wonky.

As far as the mitts go:

I'm pretty darn proud of them, and my friend loves them.

It is a little finicky sometimes to work with the scales, but I'm of the opinion it's worth the trouble. I can recommend you a site to order scales from too, if you need!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Those are really fun! And I think everyone wants scales on their dice bag. Good thinking.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yup, I found a neat pattern that fits the bill! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scaled-pouch I have a DK yarn I want to use for it, so now I need to see if I want to use small or tiny scales.

Edit: The pattern suggests the Ring Lord for scales. Though somewhere closer might be groovy.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 9, 2015

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

The Ring Lord is where I get my scales. It does take a little extra time to ship since they're Canada-based (I'm in the US), but as far as I know they're the only place that ships scale stuff.

I haven't done a whole lot of research into it, though--if you're able to find a closer place, let me know!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Makin' my second ever pair of socks, this time using actual sock yarn instead of worsted. It's, uh, going slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I kind of have a love-ohno thing about super fancy sock yarn. On one hand, it's so pretty. On the other, this fact makes me feel awful about the fact it'll be going on my feet. Which is why this shawl is the sock weight yarn and my sock project is going to be King Cole DK yarn because it can take a beating.

Also tiny yarn on DPNs made me fling it at a moth.

Good luck, Valdara. >_>