Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

All I've ever finished are a bunch of stupid hats:

(And 3 others I don't have pictures of.)

They're "stupid" because I didn't really follow a pattern, just got some circulars and started going around. The ended up more triangular than round, though, which was kind of good when I had long hair but just looks silly now.

I started about 10 years ago working on some afghan patterns in a book my grandmother had which still aren't anywhere near done. One of them is about halfway done, which I've been working on during football games and probably will finish this year sometime.

I've also done some "tube socks" which were basically rectangles that I sewed up the side. They worked out pretty well (except for a few places where I had to join up yarn and the knots ended up being hard on the feet) especially since dpns are giving me a hell of a time (I've got about 40% through a sock 4-5 times and lost track/dropped stitches/ended up completely off every time).

Right now I'm working on a massive detangle project (one of my siblings decided it'd be fun to unravel half of my yarn and then toss it all back in the basket, there's about 20 balls/skeins intertangled), some more stupid hats, and the aforementioned afghans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just picked it up in the last 15 minutes so this post is solely related on that experience, but my main problem has been remembering to do the extra knit/purl at the end of each stitch (probably due to being used to doing regular PSSOs/P2togs). That and I also somehow managed to get the yarn wrapped around the entire work and through the middle, which I think was just bad yarn management.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

An afghan I've been working on for some time now.

This is actually the wrong side but there's so many stitches I still can't spread it out all the way even spread over 2 needles. I'm cheating a bit and using size 15 needles instead of the specified size 11 but (as you can see by the colors) I don't stick to the pattern most of the time. It's about 5 feet wide (as far as I can tell, still can't get it fully stretched) and 3 feet long so far, I'm aiming to make it as long as my bed is (so at least twice as much as is there already).

There's a couple little fuckups here and there but it's just for my own use anyway so I don't really care. I doubt I'll do the tassels on the ends just because I find them annoying. It's actually pretty difficult to work with right now because it's so heavy; it's too long to bunch up in my lap and too short to dangle to the floor, so (and the pictures don't really carry this point) the more recent rows are stretching a bit just from the weight pulling it down.

Question: I've got plenty of white left, but the brown is nearly out. I doubt I have enough to run one more pattern of it. It's also out of my grandmother's stash and probably 15-20 years old (all of it's acrylic). What's my best bet for finding a matching color? My other option is to just use a different color for the second half. I'm basically halfway done already, so it would at least me somewhat symmetric if I did that. If I can't find an exact match, I'd rather not have a "close but slightly off" color and instead go with something different, what kinds of colors would work?

---

Half-assed Scrap Hat:

Basically picked up a pair of circs one day (about 2 years ago, actually) and used up some scrap at the same time I was figuring out circs. It's really floppy (I'm not very good with sizing) and not exactly round (the very top is just a seam, basically) but I have a question here too: I want to put some kind of bobble on the top of it, what's the best way to go about doing it?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yargh posted:

I like your afghan! If you can't find an exact match in colour, uh...would a contrasting colour work? I think maybe with brown, a green or blue shade could work.
You want a pompom on your hat? http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/03/post_1.html Enjoy.

Well, that's my question really, what kinds of colors am I looking to contrast with brown? I've seen some really terrible color choices throughout the years and I'm trying to avoid picking something I'll hate for the life of the afghan. Right now in my stash I have a little bit of deep red and sky blue (probably only enough for 2 patterns), and a ton of goldenrod (enough to make a whole afghan of this size, really). I don't want to use the goldenrod because it's actually fairly close to the brown in most light and I think it'll just look mis-matched.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm a little confused about this glove pattern. I'm at this point:

quote:

Row 19: K8, P2, K4, P2, K8, place next 16 st. on waste yarn, CO 2 st, K to end of row. 46 sts.

Considering I have 44 stitches on after putting the 16 to the side, I'm assuming CO means cast on and not cast off. Does this mean I'm supposed to cast on in the middle of a row? How do I do that?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I somehow forgot that google actually gives good results sometimes. Here's where I'm at now:

Inside-out for now, of course, about 2 rounds from beginning on the fingers. I actually started these as socks then realized I didn't really want socks, so they're a little baggy around the wrist but I'm okay with that. The cuff's a little long anyway so I'll probably fold it over and put a button on it or something.

This is my first real venture with DPNs and it took me 4 tries to get anywhere significant. First and third times I somehow had it twisted after I connected it, second time one of the needles fell out of the stitches and in reaching down to pick it up something caught on the yarn and pulled out a ton of stitches. Those blue things on the needles are some foam disc I sliced up and pierced with the needles and I haven't had any problems with that since. I started out extremely slow (about 30 minutes per round in the beginning) but I've been speeding up fairly quickly, getting about 10 rounds an hour now. The second one should go a lot faster.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yargh posted:

Help, please? :shobon:

"With smaller needles, cast on 99 (108, 113, 122, 126) sts. Work in Garter st for 2”, end with a wrong side row. Change to larger needles and *St st, dec 1 st each side every 6 rows 9 (9, 0, 0, 0) times, **every 8 rows 0 (0, 7, 7, 0) times, then every 12 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 5) times – 81 (90, 99, 108, 116) sts."

* Start stocking stitch?
** Since I'm making the smallest-sized cardigan, do I just obey the dec 1 every 6 rows 9 times only? :psyduck: What is this shittery?!

Drei, Goldaline, Captain Stinkybutt, Roflex all awesome work. :aaa:

I'll be good at knitting someday. :unsmith:

Not sure about the first question, to the second it looks like you're supposed to end with 81 stitches, or a total of 18 decreases. Not sure what you're making here but if it's got 2 sides then 9x2 = 18, so it looks like that's all you need to do.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just looking at the cables on those fingers is making mine hurt. I'm having a hard enough time doing straight knit fingers right now (about 1 hour per finger, at my current rate).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh god I think I did something wrong

Anyone know any large monkeys that need gloves?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So my hat has a friend now: The Half-Assed Diagonal Scrap Scarf

It's only about 3 1/2 feet long, a fact partly determined by the amount of scrap yarn I had (and I didn't have nearly enough of the blues left over to make a full scarf out of it, hence the brown triangles). Plus it covers the essentials in this recent blizzard and since I was stuck inside for the better part of today I just whipped it up. Altogether took less than 2 hours work-time.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I've got some mystery yarn here:

That's a size 5 DPN next to it for scale. It's way thinner than any other yarn I have and I've got 2-3 other balls of it (much larger than the ones in the picture) and I'd like to know: 1) How to identify it and 2) what to do with it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com

I'm unemployed and THIS ISN'T HELPING.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I had a knitting needle (I think it was a size 10 even) go about an inch into my foot while carrying some cotton work. The needle slipped out, kind of stuck halfway in the carpet on the bulb end, and then my foot went straight into it. Luckily due to the angle (and probably because it was a size 10) it just kind of slipped under the first layer of skin.

I really need to get some point protectors.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I did some stupid things the other night, came home, and threw up over a good portion of my stash. Is there any good way to clean unknit yarn? I've got about 6 balls (many consisting of multiple skeins) of Caron Simply Soft that are now unclean and it represents a significant portion of a few projects I'm in the middle of, so if I can get away with not having to replace it that would be wonderful.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I have yet to even contemplate attempting something on smaller than 6s, and even that's a bit of a challenge for my manhands. Hence my afghan on size 16s and all the hats I do on 11/13 circs.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Anyone got any idea how one would make a rigid baseball cap-style hat from acrylic? I assume you'd at least need some sort of form for the bill but I'm completely blanking on searches. Bonus if it can be knit in one piece. Double bonus if it's adjustable.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I really need to finish some socks. I've got about 3/4 of the second orange tube sock done, just a flat-knit rectangle with a little toe shaping and sewn up the side. My last attempt at socks ended up way too large (my first real problem with not doing a gauge check) and turned into this glove, which is now serving as an oven mitt/potholder in the kitchen.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Does anyone make fixed-cable circs in larger sizes with larger diameter cables? I've got some 9-13 US circs which are nice for doing quick hats but the stitches on the cable ALWAYS shrink and I end up not ever able to keep a consistent gauge because of it, and half the time have to physically pry the stitches back "up the ramp" onto the needle part because they've shrunk so much.

e: Basically I'm looking for Big Fat Circs with Big Fat Cables.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

No I'm fine with the cable lengths I have, I'm looking for THICKER cables. I want a cable that's basically the same thickness as a #9 US.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I should really get some socks started before winter.

General sock question: When it snows here I usually only wear my usual tennis shoes so my (standard cotton Hanes) socks tend to get soaked, and subsequently shredded. What material would be best to help prevent this in a knit sock? Or should I just invest in some boots?

I picked up my afghan today and realised if I only did one row a day for the whole year it'd be done by now. Of course one row takes me between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how distracted I am (and I usually am). So I'm resolving to do at least 10 rows a week, two per weekday and pick up what I missed on the weekends, and hopefully I should finish it by Thanksgiving or so.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I don't know about you, but as someone who wears boots all year round (and has her sexuality questioned constantly for it) I find that boots are not kind to any type of socks in the least.

I was thinking more of the thinner slipover kind, just for the sake of waterproofness.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So that afghan.

100 rows.

120 to go.

That ball on the right is the last existing sample of that color...IN THE WORLD.

So it's Red Heart Super Saver, so what? Apparently they permanently discontinued that color eleven years ago (about when I started this monstrosity) and that middle skein was the closest thing (in a similar weight*) I could find in all of four Michaels, a JoAnn, and 3 local shops (and by "local" I mean I drove about 80 miles in the last 2 days). There is absolutely nothing that matches that color anywhere.

*And it's a lighter weight anyway.

My other choice is that on the left, I probably have enough of it to finish it up, and since I'm basically at the halfway point, using it for the second half wouldn't be too bad. My other other choice is a goldenrod which I have about 3 pounds of for some reason. I intend to keep alternating 20 rows of white between 20 rows of whatever I choose.

I have about enough left to do 2-3 rows.

I need to do either 60 or 80.

(I don't think the white is going to hold out for the 60 or 80 of that I need it to do, but they still make white. I think.)

If anyone's got about a pound of what red heart used to call "coffee" (what they call "coffee" now is a darker-than-brown brown) I'll gladly take it off your hands (when I have money again, that is. That 4.5oz of nearly-the-right-color cost $4, and that was after a 40% off coupon. For acrylic).

I'm just frustrated right now.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well I just did what I should've done before and looked up Red Heart's color selection. It looks like it's #336 - Warm Brown, but I called around and nothing within 100 miles stocks it. I'd order it online but I can't be 100% sure it's the same without looking at it in person (even the different photos I've taken of it tend to be wildly varying in color). Of course since I bought it a decade ago I don't have the band, so I can't check that either.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Cafe's one of those colors that, at first, looks "close-but-not-quite", but in the right light you can tell it's way too pale. In the 3rd picture it's closest to the skein on the left.

On another note, I'm getting screwed simultaneously by my bank and my old car insurance company so I need to raise some cash. A while back I did a couple mid-size "wall hangings" of videogame icons/sprites (about 6x6 inches) but gave them away instead of selling them. I don't have a pic of any of those but here's a sample I did, much smaller and unblocked:

For something around 6x6 inches what would be a good price to sell them for? I can knock out 2-3 a day if I have the colors I need (right now I have a surplus of goldenrod and red, not sure what I can make out of those) and I basically need to raise around $100 by Monday so would the $15-20 range be reasonable? I'll post an SA-Mart thread when I get a couple done but I'd like to figure out a good going rate first.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finished my first art...thing.

Didn't have any black so it's missing some details but I've got an idea of what I'm doing now. (It might not be the right idea, but it's an idea.)

Basically I took this and put a grid on top of it in Inkscape, then picked appropriate colors to use for each stitch. After that was done I pinned it down to some cardboard and ran some extra yarn through with a needle. I think next time I'll add a couple extra stitches of border so I can wrap it entirely around the cardboard, not leaving any exposed on the front, and carry some colors less often in favor of just leaving an extra strand dangling (in this case, the white around the sides of the logo) so there's less horizontal pulling. And the next one's going to take place on smaller needles (this was done on 9s, I have 5s and 3s) so it's a bit denser and less hole-y.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I might just make myself a Humphrey. Although I'd need to buy more circs. And yarn. Somehow with all the yarn I've bought lately I still don't have enough for a singular large project, except for the afghan. It's NOT HELPING that it looks pretty drat easy to do, too.

e: :argh: this would be perfect for the afghan scraps: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/KSPATTmarymary.php

Xerol fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 3, 2010

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I'm about 3 1/2 rows into my Humphrey.

It's taken almost 3 hours :gonk:

And yes I am using washers as stitch markers, sue me.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well that was 6 hours ago and I'm now starting the 16th row.

Or, in another sense of time, six episodes of The West Wing and two of Fringe. But I'm actually up to the main pattern part now so it's starting to look like something.

And now is a really bad time to decide I don't like the yarn I bought.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

Actually, now's the best time. You're not like 3 weeks into it, there's time to change!
Looks like Fisherman's Wool...is it? I actually like working with it and have an oversize cardigan that I love made from it, but I'd be unhappy in a vest of it because it can get very scratchy to me.

Yeah it is. Michael's had a sale on it ($6.99 instead of $9.99) and it's something I've wanted to try out for a while, so it seemed like a good idea. It's growing on me, though. Not sure how it will look with my mostly light-colored wardrobe though.

In other news, inappropriate uses for a mixer, #35:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Around 5 inches right now, at the pace I'm going I'll get up to the armholes by the end of next weekend.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

That is a really attractive rib pattern. I didn't see it really well on the Knitty site, and thought it was just miles of 1x1 rib. That makes it so much better that it isn't.

Well it almost is. The straight knit rows keep it from contracting like regular ribbing would.

quote:

Broken Rib (in the round)
Round 1: [K1, p1] to end.
Round 2: Knit.

Also it's 92 degrees in here and I'm working on a wool vest.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just past the 7 inch mark.

On the one hand, this part is boring. One row of knit, one row of K1 P1. Over and over.

On the other hand, it's nice because I can pick it up at just about any time and within 5 seconds figure out exactly where I am and continue from there.

Also, apparently I grabbed size 10 circs instead of 9s. The problem is I can't really tell how big it actually is, since the needles are 32" and I'm a bit bigger around than that, so there's some necessary bunching. So I'm either going to end up with a really baggy vest or I can just say it's extra room for Thanksgiving dinner.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

On a break from my vest I finished a second sock.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I was helping my neighbor run some errands and while waiting for her to come out of the bookstore I noticed an AC Moore. Didn't even know there was one in town, so I went in, and...

:woop: :woop:

Got 3 skeins. Probably don't need more than 1.5 of them but you never know.

e: For reference

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah about 2 weeks after deciding I'm not going to knit anything for Christmas, and about 2 hours before midnight, I decided I would. So I started on this scarf.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ok see what I did there was not have enough yarn to do the whole thing. So I stayed up all night to do half a scarf and of course I can't get more yarn until Monday.

e: It turned out around 40" and stretches quite a bit so it'll have to do. Didn't come out as bad as I thought. Still can't believe it took six hours, it was only 107 rows of 21 stitches.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 25, 2010

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

TauntTheOctopi posted:

My half vest is in the car, I just put down my third half-scarf (see below), so I guess I need to start on a sock now?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Why do I have to work all day Sunday? :sigh:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finished another scarf. I haven't shaved since I started it, can you tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh yeah I felted it too.

I need to get one of those dense mesh bags because the pillowcase I used kept coming open and I think I spent more time cleaning woolballs out of the trap than actually agitating it.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 25, 2011