Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Stupid question: I'm knitting a scarf (just in time for spring) and used my go-to selvedge, sl1 purlwise, knit last stitch. Turns out with the stitch I am using for the scarf does not compute with that, and my edges look absolutely terrible, crooked, loose, just plain lovely. I was knitting in the dark and am about 4 ft along, in the daylight I can see that I cannot tolerate it--but I can't bear to frog 4 ft worth of scarf! I plan on blocking it anyway, is it feasible to roll the edge stitches in my fingertips (kind of like you do when you are doing a felted join) while it is wet and having just that felt (it's wool)? Is there any reason this will end in disaster?

I guess I could crochet a border, but I really hate crochet, and I am really bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have never tried felting part of a project and not the whole thing so I don't know how that would work out exactly.

Ideas off the top of my head:

-pick up stitches along the border and knit a border
-knit a border separately and sew it on or attach it the way you'd attach a border to a shawl
-applied i-cord around the edge
-fold over the edges and sew them down instead of felting

Or you could do this which is technically crochet but you can do it with a kntiting needle if you're more comfortable with that: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2011/01/neat-little-edging-for-garter-stitch.html

I'm just afraid of borders for this, it's for a man who doesn't believe in accessories--I agonized over picking a stitch pattern that was manly looking enough. I might try that last one and just remove it if it looks girly :) I keep hoping that when I block it they will magically even out so it doesn't even matter. Thanks!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Can I bounce my thought process off someone? I've never done this before.

I'm trying to knit a portrait, I found a little program that charts patterns one stitch per pixel, and uses an indexed png with specified number of colors so it doesn't blur like knitpro did (plus I could size it exactly how I want). I designed my pattern and have it at a point where it will look good and be feasible this way, only it doesn't account for stitches not being square. What I did was check the ratio of my gauge, and found that my stitches are about 30% taller than they are wide--then I squashed my image by 30%.

Does this make sense? I keep questioning whether I did this backwards and it is frying my brain.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

If you'll be knitting it stranded, you will definitely want a gauge swatch in stranded--stranded tends to turn it into a close to 1:1 ratio for height:width.

But you're thinking seems solid to me, and it also sounds right for what I know of stitch shape.

There's the problem, I'm going to do both stranded and intarsia. I've got it in 3 colors and very low detail and planned on using stranded on the hair and intarsia on the rest. That gauge I got was on stranded, I knit pretty loose though. I think I'm going to down the needle size and see if that makes my stitches more square and adjusting for size--squashing the image that much ended up messing some bits up.

This is more of a headache than I imagined for 'ridiculous project to do in really cheap acrylic until I have money to start on wedding/baby presents'.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

Oof. I wish you the best of luck then! What you're doing sounds like it's going to be complex, but it's also going to be a pretty awesome learning experience + finished object.

Thanks! It isn't really that complex, I've simplified the image a lot. I'm making my boyfriend a Frank Zappa throw pillow. I thought it might be just silly enough to work, especially since he is vehemently anti-throw pillow. He is pretty easy to make recognizable in large graphic shapes--big black block of eyebrow, big black block of mustache, big black block of whatever they call that underlip hair thing. Did the good old 'desaturate, turn the contrast all the way up' trick. I've not done very much colorwork, but I know the basics and I've discovered I get bored as hell when I do anything at my level and never finish.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

How thin was it? Really thin? Call me crazy, but if it's white I see dense cheesecloth:

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Durr, stupid question. I'm knitting a toy for a friend's baby and haven't even been thinking about the fact that I have a terrible cold. I'm blowing my nose in between rows and I feel like my snot is colonizing on it. It's a caterpillar so I've been stuffing as I go, can you throw a toy in the wash once it's filled with polyfill? Should I put it in the dryer? The yarn is just Simply Soft so I know that's safe.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

So... I've been working on the Echo Flower Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl)for a few days and it (was) starting to look so beautiful. So beautiful I took out my previous lifelines to admire it. Long story short, I'm starting over tomorrow, just frustrated to lose 5 hours of work.

Since I have to start over I'm going to try and make my garter-tab cast-on look a bit neater. I have found a billion tutorials but the problem I have doesn't seem to be one that anyone addresses. When I use the crochet chain provisional cast on I lose the first stitch when I go to knit it back onto the needle. I unravel the crochet chain and there are only 2 stitches where there were 3. I don't get how it makes a stitch that holds? I have no idea how to explain it but maybe someone knows what I mean. I ended up improvising with a spare needle and it hid in the tab pretty well, but it definitely isn't perfect. Can I use this way maybe? http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATfall05TT.html There is still a slipknot but maybe it will hide better.

Has anyone else knit this? I see it's really popular on Ravelry. I've never done any of these stitches and I find myself enjoying the 2 and 3 into 9's a lot! So gratifying when you see them turn into these pretty little petals...

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Drei posted:

The thing with provisional is that you're actually picking up the bottom of the stitch.

So if each V is a stitch:

VVV

Imagine the trianglular openings are the loops. So you have three loops at the top, but 3 Vs only make two openings at the bottom. So yes, when you do a provisional CO you end up picking up one less stitch!

FelicityGS posted:

Part of why you're losing that is provisional stitches naturally have one less than what you cast on. There was some Interweave newsletter about it, but a good idea (and what I do) is to crochet on one more chain than you'll need. Another option is to pick up a stitch, OR do a yarn over, which you knit through the back on the next row (which closes the hole).
Ahaaa Thanks for the explanation and the fix :) Back at it. It's so weird, I can figure out difficult stitches alright but cast-ons and cast-offs seem to swoosh right over my head.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I'm going to need a padded cell when I'm done with nupps for the shawl I'm making--the bride it is for isn't a beads or pearls kind of girl, so no faking it :suicide:. Question: I saw a video of Nancy Bush doing nupps and she does the loops then passes them back to the left needle and knits together. I know you can make this easier doing it with a crochet needle. The thing is, the pattern I'm making (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl) has you make the loops and purl them together on the next row (ws). Does this make a difference in the shape, like elongate the bobble, or change the way it is aligned? I've been doing it the pattern way, and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

I do my nupps on the next row so I don't accidently forget I did them already. Just makes my brain work better. Also, I use a crochet hook for nupps.

Do you make the loops and purl together on the next row (using a crochet hook like you would the needle, just using the hook head to pull the loop through) or wait until the next row and doing the crochet method of making loops and pulling through in one go? I have a pretty tiny crochet hook and I tried doing the former, but without a point I'm useless at getting it through.

They sure are pretty though!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

teknicolor posted:

I'm trying to make a Kindle cozy...

I'm no help, but I thanks for putting the Kindle cozy idea in my head :) Needed a break from lace.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/argyle-cardigan-for-kindle-3

The bottom edge looks terrrrrible, it uses Judy's Magic Cast-On, which is awesome when not done crappily by me. It'll get beat up in my purse anyway.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I finished something. I am a nupp convert, I am happy and think they were worth the effort. The sun wouldn't cooperate with my photo session and come out. If the bride doesn't like this I will die.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 27, 2011

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

This is stunning. I love the color. And if she doesn't like it, she's out of her drat mind.

What pattern is that? I know I've seen it before.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/echo-flower-shawl

Thank you!

What I don't like is how pointy my points are. I tend to bind off way too tight so I used a few needle sizes up--too many sizes up, and I had to block it that way to keep it from being sloppy. My dear friend is no bridezilla, but has this fear of anything too fussy.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Addicted to lace:

I had a bunch of 40% off Joanns coupon, and for some reason I bought Paton's Lace, which is just terrible. I'm not even a fiber snob. It blocked despite being 80% acrylic but it's so itchy and cheap feeling I'll never wear it. My mom took it but I feel bad for giving it to her. I wanted to donate it to...something... At least it only cost 3 dollars!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Ethereal.

Good call. Although, mine refused to block as a triangle, it's a very definite crescent. It was so straightforward and well charted, I might make another in yarn I would want to wear.

Does anyone here sell knits? I would like to make a few shawls to sell since I can knit in class breaks and while studying. I would never try and sell anything made from a free pattern, but what is the deal with patterns you buy? Even then, do you have to alter a pattern and how much? It's hard not to ape something that someone, somewhere has written down, when it's just cherry leaf lace with a border.

I know I wouldn't be able to even pay myself minimum wage, but my clinical rotation schedule has made it difficult to find time to work a real job. My financial aid budget reflects this, just looking for pocket money (without going the route of '$40 scarves made of Super-Saver' I see on Etsy)

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 8, 2012

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I read once that knitted items are the worst selling items on Etsy though, so beware It was in a feminist article saying that Etsy sold women a dream of being independent and crafty but actually only very few people make good money off it. Something like toys will probably sell better than clothes.

Yea I am really cynical about Etsy, especially with the way they turn blind eyes to resellers. Maybe if I get a topless hipster to model things in front of a weathered barn I can get some cred.

I was toying with the idea off making chemo caps but I'd hate to profit on it. Maybe I could donate a portion, or does that make me like an evil corporation who uses the promise of charity to make sales?

Drei posted:

Assuming you're in the US, it's legal to sell items made from copyrighted patterns, as copyrights apply to written things and not objects you make from them. A lot of knitters think it's morally dubious to do so, especially if the designer specifically requests that you do not sell the finished object. Personally I think you should be able to do what you please with an object you spent money on for materials and put time into creating (particularly as most people who would buy a finished knitted item are not going to be buying the pattern in the first place), but it's up to you to decide where you stand.
I'm not sure how I feel morally, which is why I threw it out there. Thanks for the input. I say I wouldn't sell anything from a free pattern, especially ones where the person put a lot of effort into designing transitions and making nice charts--however if someone I knew personally gave me a free pattern and said 'I'll pay you to make this for me' I know drat well I'd do it.

Pucklynn posted:

A question about shawls-- how often do y'all wear them? I have a whole pile in my closet of various knitted lace shawls, but I can never find a good time/place/outfit to wear them. Well, I wore one to a fancy dress-up dinner with a nice dress, but that's the only time I've ever managed it.

I'd love to see some pictures of shawl-coordinated outfits, if you have any!

Triangles you can wear like a triangle scarf, with the point in the front and wrapped around the neck, with jeans and a plain fitted shirt really. I like the girlyness. Plus it's a way to expand a ghetto wardrobe made of solid long sleeve t-shirts from the Walmart juniors section.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 8, 2012

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I think that's why making caps kinda popped into my head, the yarn cost is pretty low, even for nice yarns. People need to look at their sweater tags, none of my really cheapy 'fashion' sweaters are 100% wool or 100% merino. Although, you can get cashmere sweaters at TJ Maxx for $60, I don't think I would bother trying to sell garments, ever. For gifts I try to only make people things they couldn't buy. I have awesome friends though, the kind that cry with joy over acrylic baby blankies.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Hey, I tried to make that hat once! I lost my patience for reading it and made something else instead. I might use the idea in the future but ignore the pattern entirely.

Anyway, I had the same question when I was reading it and I looked through the project gallery and think the 2x2 ribbing looks fine, maybe 1x1 would be nicer. It mostly looks silly in that picture because it's folded, but that might just be a matter of personal taste.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I have major indecisiveness when it comes to color picking. I'd like to make this:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/paper-dolls

I thought I could sneak in a golden yellow that I generally look terrible in as the small accents against the grays/blues/purples I look great in. I'm very fair, very pink.

Here are the two combos I'm toying with, any suggestions? Darkest color is for the body, I don't trust my fitting skills to the unforgiving nature of light sweaters.

I know that Turmeric color is more bright irl.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Jollity Farm posted:

If you look bad in too much yellow, don't use it for the bits next to your face. I presume you were thinking of using yellow or turmeric for the mini bits/stripes under the "dolls", and the "dolls" themselves would be done in the lighter grey. Anyway, I think that grey goes better with any shade of yellow than purple does, but it's a little more hard to tell what a tiny bit would look like when all the colours are in the same amount there.

Oooh that's a really good point about placement, I hadn't even thought about that. I just ordered the grey because I think I'm in love with that color purple for something else, and the yellow + purple was reminding me of LSU. I think I'll swatch the corrugated ribbing as well as the yoke and hold them up to my neck before making any final decisions. I can always retool it.

I'm really jealous of creamy skinned brunette types who can wear mustard and chartreuse. I want clothes made of all the terrible colors of my grandparents mid-century modern furniture.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Ozmaugh posted:

My 2nd haruni shawl, unblocked (obviously). My gent is downstairs messing around with power tools to make me something with which I can block it, because it's larger than my normal projects. I made one with fewer rows that I love and figured I'd go all out with this one and it's gigantic (but gorgeous- the pattern is really simple but has great results if you're a shawl fan).

My pops sent me some buffalo hair yarn that is surprisingly soft. I'm not sure what I'm going to make with it yet...

I keep toying with making that pattern, but I'm afraid of ruining it when I try to crochet the border. I don't know why everything I touch with a crochet needle turns to poo poo. I read in the pattern about making i-cord instead, but that seems like it would be awful clunky.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Ozmaugh posted:

I'm horrible when it comes to crochet but the finishing in the pattern is actually really easy- for part of it you're just treating your crochet hook like a knitting needle anyway, and then it's just chain stitches so there's not a lot to it.

Hmm, it *sounds* like I couldn't mess that up--It's between that the the Swallowtail Shawl for my next lacy thing, I'll have to mull it over.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

They did not just do six lace shawls. They did not.

This excited me instead of annoying me, since I have a major lace problem. I don't even sort of like any of them, oh well.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I'm so glad I could be of service. :) (I totally copied a ton of patterns out of it too >.>)

Fake edit:

I want to know the answer to this too, only with wool. My favourite pair of colour work socks. :(

Edit the 3rd:

I finished a shawl I've been designing:

Traditional style Estonian shawl, including crazy sewn on edge (I bet you can't tell, it's so elastic, I love sewing on that edge).

I'm still writing the pattern, but since it's kind of an easy one, it shouldn't be too long if work doesn't go crazy. Any goons that would like a free copy, let me know. I'll drop a line in the thread when it's ready so I can get everyone's email at once (I don't have PMs).

I'd totally be interested when you are done, I lovvvvve how overtly floral it is :) Plus I should probably learn to sew on borders at some point...

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I am still interested in that patter FelicityGS!

anonymityontheinternet@gmail.com

Thank you so much in advance!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

More lace. I can't help it if I like the most popular patterns on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swallowtail-shawl), so you may have already seen thousands of these. Have another!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

D'aww thanks guys. I love it, been meaning to make that pattern forever.

FelicityGS posted:

It's still lovely! Love nupps. What yarn is it?

Knitpicks Gloss Lace, Bare. My original plan was try dying the second skein and making...another shawl... but I ended up altering the pattern to make it bigger so now I'm stuck with an awkward amount.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

After the first triangle shawl I knit that called for a slipped stitch selvedge I started omitting it when called for and just knitting it--I had issues with it being too tight when blocking. I also suck and am uneven with slipped stitches. I'm sure it's more pronounced in silk/silk blend that isn't as stretchy as wool. Do make sure not to pull the yarn too tight after slipping.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

For getting lace shawls straight I thread cotton yarn through the top before wetting it, then pin it taut over the edges of the mattress in the guest bedroom--or tie it to my bed posts. One time I tied it over the edges on to the sides of the frame (the part the box spring sits in). I'm cheap.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 28, 2012

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Don't worry guys, my design is in this issue. Together, we can take down Knitty from the inside!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff12/PATTcathedral.php

Oh wait I designed socks. Guys, I think i hosed it up.

Those are so awesome! I'm adding them to my socks to knit if I ever decide I want to knit socks.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff12/PATTgentleteresa.php I actually really want this. I don't know if I want to actually make it, I think I want to buy it at the store. I wish my friends would stop getting impregnated so I could knit something other than obligatory baby crap.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

You can't say that without linking it! How bad could it be? Oh.

Congrats Scooty :)

I don't get it, does she have peanut butter on her crotch or something?

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Does anyone have a favorite baby blankie pattern? I'm looking on Ravelry and drawing a blank. I hate making blankets so I've been putting it off and don't have a ton of time before she pops, so double knitting something awesome is out. I would do a lace heirloom type thing (I'm fast at lace for some reason) but I kind of envision him actually still liking it as a little boy instead of it going in a keepsake drawer.

I feel like a bad person because I'm drawn to all the stereotypical girly stuff and secretly wish she was having a girl so I could reinforce gender roles with PINK FLOWERS. They are doing a 'nautical' theme for the room, even though I demanded dinosaurs. Any suggestions would be very welcome because I am totally lost.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Feather-and-Fan/Old Shale is lacy but can be pretty gender-neutral in a sturdy yarn. Honestly, if the little dude likes blankets as a kid he'll keep on liking it!

My old standby! I made a feather and fan blankie for someone else and she actually told me she didn't like it to my face. We've been friends for 24 years so I can't be mad, she is the bitchy sister I never had.

(OMG THOSE MONSTER PANTS, I know what someone is getting for xmas)

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Amykinz posted:

I've used this Diamond and Smocked Blanket before, and it looks really good and gender-neutral.. also the Hex Afghan from Knitting Nature is nice.

Oooh I love the diamond and smocked blanket--how bad does it look on the wrong side?

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

So I'm trying to make this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTsheldon.html and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to connect two pieces using the applied i-cord. It seems so cumbersome and keeps getting all twisted weird and I just don't get the directions, even though THOUSANDS of people on Ravelry figured it out. I'd toss him in the trash if he didn't already have eyes that are looking at me (I'm ruined for life by the stupid Velveteen Rabbit).

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Mizufusion posted:

Okay, I get what they want you to do, and it is a bit cumbersome. I've attached pieces similar to this before, but I'm not sure I can explain it any better. It's basically knitting a piece and sewing it to another piece at the same time. Wonky, but once I got the hang of it I preferred it to sewing things together. Mostly because I hate sewing knit pieces together.

Basically, you want to hold the working needle in one hand, and the shell pieces in the other, with the holding needle. Knit three from the holding needle, then slip one. Pick up one stitch from each half of the shell with the holding needle, and knit them together. Pass the slipped stitch over. When you get to the head opening, only pick up stitches from the top part of the shell.

Aaaahaha when I read this I realized what I did wrong. For quite some time when I pick up and knit I've been picking up, knitting, and knitting (if that makes sense). I've been trying to put the stitches on the right hand needle too. What a mess. Thank you, that helped a LOT.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Amelia Song posted:

I dont think you turn it, you CO more stitches using a method like backwards loop that you can do right at the end of the row.

This should look pretty much the same on both sides (adding stitches at both ends on consecutive rows) but if you have problems with keeping backwards loop knit even you could do one backwards loop and from there do cable cast on.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Spiteful posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me with a pattern. I want a knee high sock pattern, plain to show the colour variation in the wool (i'm using this:http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9054/.f?sc=2&category=36868) and frankly I keep knitting to gauge and it keeps coming up too small. I am fairly certain this is a 4 ply but I am clearly doing something wrong :/

Do you mean your swatches are too small or your swatches are right and your socks are too small?

If it's the latter, I have the problem when swatching flat for something I'm making in the round of it being the right size but my purl tension is looser than my knit tension, so when I go to knit in the round and I'm not purling the WS it ends up much smaller. I swatch for anything I'm knitting in the round by just knitting the next row with the yarn carried loosely across the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Look Under The Rock posted:

I rubbed my neck (and face and hands) all over this stuff, it's the softest yarn I've ever gotten to work with. I want to make love to this yarn. It's so nice. A cabled scarf sounds like a good idea but I'm intimidated -- I've never done cables before! I understand the theory of how it works though. Any good beginner cabled scarf patterns?

Did someone say cables?

Everyone posted beautiful baby blanket ideas and I instead feel that an infant needs lots of cables in...navy. So basically the baby is done cooking and I'm still making cables.

Anyway, this is my first time doing cables, and the only part that is tricky to get the hang of is having another needle in there hanging around. I ended up ditching the cable needle and using a spare DPN and holding it with my work instead of letting it hang, but I'm thinking it's the kind of thing that is totally personal (like how you tension your yarn). I wrote out what each cable abbreviation meant big on an index card since I don't have them memorized, that way I could just glance at it quickly. I had planned on my first cable project being the palindrome scarf linked above though.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 25, 2012