Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I picked up knitting as a hobby a couple of months ago, and these are some of the things I've knitted so far.

A scarf for my boyfriend:

I've knitted several pairs of these felted slippers, they're really easy and fun to knit, and great no-brain knitting when working night shifts:

Felted tote bag:

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

starshaped posted:

Midnight Sun, that checkered felted bag kicks rear end! I love the colors you used.
Thanks! It was basically the first thing I knit when I started knitting and felting this fall, and it just proves how anyone can knit! When I can do it, everybody can. :D

I made up this bag as I went along, so it was really exciting to see how it came out when I felted it. I'm really satisfied with the result.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

Another My so-called Scarf. This is in Arauciania Aysen (Wool/Alpaca/Silk) Color #805, I think this is one of the nicest yarns I've ever worked with. If your LYS carries it, check it out!
What kind of knitting technique is this? It looks really awesome! :aaa:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Kalista. I really want to try knitting a my so-called scarf, but I think I need to watch that youtube video a couple of times first. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Ok, now I'm furious at whoever posted about Knitpicks, because they don't ship internationally, and i need one of these! Does anyone know where I can buy one of these and get it shipped to Norway? :(

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Deety: Thanks! At least I need a marker in combination with the counter for knitting in the round. The OP had a pic of some beautiful markers, did you make them yourself, or can they be bought somewhere?

elbow: Make someone hold it out for you and roll it into a ball before knitting, like this:

or use one of these:

Edit: Found the counter in a Norwegian webshop, but thanks again Deety. I'm still curious about the markers in the OP, though. :)

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 12, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

deety posted:

I made those markers, they're actually pretty easy if you want to try some.

Just find some split rings, head pins, and some beads you like. Arrange the beads on a head pin, you'll need at least one bead at the end that's really small. Then use a little pair of needle-nose pliers to bend the end of the head pin into a small loop. Clip off any extra wire, you can sort of tuck the wire's end down into the hole through the last bead if you like. Then slide the loop onto the split ring. It took me a few tries to figure out how to bend the wire to a good size that let the marker slide easily around the ring, but it wasn't too hard.
Thanks. Found some similar markers in the Norwegian web shop, too. My credit card hurts. ;)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

elbow posted:

Thanks to the both of you. Anyone have any advice on how to convince my boyfriend to sit still for such a long time? :D
Promise to knit him something cool. :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

PoK, my bf is very happy with the scarf I knitted him, so I really hope it's just you.

Here's my latest finished project. A felted kitty bed. (The cat wants nothing to do with the abomination, of course.)

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 15, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sensibletron posted:

I like it! If kitty's not so crazy about it, perhaps you could stitch in a fabric panel down below and put in something that makes a crinkly noise? I have known quite a few cats in my time who are sensationalized by a crinkle cave.
That's a good tip. The biggest problem is that only half the cat fits inside of it, though. ;)

(I knitted it for a kitten we had, but unfortunately we had to give her away before I was finished knitting the bed.)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Sensibletron! The Kitty Pi looks more like something Gizmo would like to curl up in. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Does anyone have tips on how to get neat edges? My edges are horrible and uneven, and I've tried the technique on Knittinghelp. Is there some secret trick that I don't know about?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Drei posted:

Your two best bets are (I don't know what the knittinghelp one is so you may have tried one of these already):

1) At the beginning of the row, when you insert the needle into your first stitch, pull your working yarn as tight as possible, then knit. Repeat for the second stitch, and your edge stitches will be nice and tight.

2) Slip the first stitch of every row instead of working it. This will stretch your edge stitches over two rows so they look more smooth.
I usually slip the first stitch of the row, but I'll give the first method a try. Thanks. :)
(The knittinghelp method is slipping the first stitch, btw.)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Joining the scarf gang. I just started knitting this modified Gryffindor scarf. I hope it's not sacreligious to have a pink Harry Potter scarf. ;)

I also tried knitting my so called scarf, but as usual my edges look like crap. :mad:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Kalista! I'll try blocking the scarf when it's done. Right now it's just an in-between project that I pick up when I'm tired of my other stuff, to finish off some left over yarn. It's 100% wool, so I think blocking will help a lot.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Corsair Canard posted:

Be very careful blocking it since it's wool, you don't want to accidentally felt some of it.
No, I thought I could use cold water, or is that just stupid?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

effika posted:

As long as you avoid rubbing it together a lot you should be fine. As my father discovered one day, even cold water will felt wool if it gets enough agitation.
I'll have that in mind. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Google Embryo posted:

I usually crochet a border around mine. It makes them look a lot neater.
I don't know how to crochet. :(

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I use 100% wool yarn because I bought a lot of it for felting, and I don't want to buy a whole lot of different yarn for scarves and whatnot. So it's not because I'm snobby at all.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Got a Ravelry invite today, and I'm in as Midnattsol. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Pickle Pie, those are really cute. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Ok, more scarves. I've started knitting the Skull Illusion Scarf, because I got tired of knitting one color in the round on the HP scarf.

Now I have an idea for a 1-up mushroom messenger bag. I've kinda written a pattern that I think will work, but hey, I usually make things up as I go along anyway. This will be the pattern on the lid, and I think I'll felt it:

Yay mushroom! :dance:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Strelnikov posted:

It's cute! Knitting stitches are not square, though, so your mushroom won't come out in the same proportions as it will on the chart. Here is a site that will generate graph paper in whatever gauge you want, so you can know exactly how your chart will look when you knit it.
Thanks. I've modified the chart, so that each pixel = 4x4 stitches.
I don't have a printer, so I won't be able to print out the graph paper, unfortunately.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Nrapture, that's a cool scarf! I agree with deety, very nice and neat edges. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

MallcoreMotion posted:

What do you guys think would be the best way to knit a medium-ish baby blanket with the letter A in the middle? I know it'd be iintarsia, I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it so you don't get those goofy lines on the back when you add a color.
What about Double Knitting (you can find the video if you scroll down a bit).

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

MallcoreMotion posted:

Would it be easy to do on circulars?
I have no idea, I've never tried this technique. Maybe someone who has can tell you?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My modified Harry Potter scarf is finally finished. Didn't turn out too bad. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel & elbow: Thanks! :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel: Cute scarf! And I love the colors on the sock yarn, what kind of yarn is it and where can I get it?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The messenger bag is finished. Any tips about cleaning up the black fuzz on the white parts?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

jomiel posted:

Would a cat hair roller work?

That looks awesome. How did you make the black borders?
I'll try a cat hair roller when it's dry. :)
I've knitted the mushroom in intarsia, and the 1up-text in stranding method (got extremely fed up with the intarsia, so I just thought gently caress it.)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Cool socks!

I wanted to knit socks, but figured out that DPNs are my nemesis(...es?). drat you, DPNs! :mad:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Strelnikov posted:

Niiifty. :D If a lint roller doesn't work, try shaving it with a razor.
Lint roller did nothing, I'm shaving it later. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Knitted and felted a bag for a colleague. I embroidered the flowers on after felting. I think it looks really cute! :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Super cute socks, jomiel! I'm impressed! :D

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Nrapture posted:

I love that handbag, Midnight Sun! Did you put in a zipper, flap or leave the top open?
Thanks!

The bag is open, but of course you could modify it just as you like. The pattern is here: http://hurpeknagg.blogspot.com/2008/03/no-seam-bag.html

(I made it, raaar!)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

cnmns posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a knitting book? I want to learn how to do more because at the only moment I can do anything that is a scarf and they get a little boring after a while.
I haven't learned from a book, so I really can't recommend you anything, but I've really learned a lot from looking at the videos at Knitting Help and trying different patterns at Ravelry.

I think the Stitch 'n' Bitch books are good, though.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Yay dishcloth!

Made from this pattern.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

deety posted:

Cool, what yarn is that? I love making dishcloths because they're fast and you can always use a new one.
It's called Helårsgarn, it's a cotton and acrylic mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I do all my felting in a front loading washer. I put a pair of jeans and some organic soap in with the object I'm going to felt, and run a cycle on 90 C. It always turns out very good.