Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've been knitting since January and have but one FO, a preemie hat I knit for charity.

I'm a few stripes away from finishing my Pride scarf just in time for this weekend, though.

I'm dotmatrix on Ravelry and will definitely be joining the group! :)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Cynodont posted:

This is easily the best thread on these forums. There is no debate.

I'm a newish knitter, only been doing it since January, but I've been crocheting for about 2 years. I like knitting more and I've kind of abandoned crochet except for certain applications where it's usually just more convenient than knitting for whatever reason (edging, drawstrings, circular bases for dice bags, coasters, etc).

Currently tackling my first project using DPNs. I've knit in the round with circs before, but now I'm trying my hand(s) at size 2 Knitpicks nickel-plated brass sticks.

Jacoby mitts with Knitpicks Essential/Stroll sock yarn. :toot:

Sup Knitpicks socks buddy? My two skeins of Imagination in Wicked Witch came in yesterday; I'll be starting my Monkeys tomorrow!

I also use DPNs for round projects, but it's because I can't stand the feel of circs. I have a blanket on circulars right now and I can't even stand to work on it because of all that loopy bullshit.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

guaranteed posted:

If you're talking about the cables looping around and causing problems, try the KnitPicks ones. The cable is much more supple and doesn't curl up the way the cheaper store ones do.

That's almost certainly the problem; I wanted to start NOW DAMMIT and therefore grabbed some cheapass Susan Bates ones from JoAnn. :smith:

That cat is adorable! I think furry toys are about the only legitimate use that Fun Fur will ever have.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Please tell me the Megaman hat is on Ravelry so I can fav it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I think I have a spending problem

Fetal Christmas presents for my family (L-R mom, dad, and sister).

$57.60... AFTER the 50% off :toot: Would have been $107 and change were the store not liquidating.

If I wanted a cheaper hobby, I'd be a cokehead.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
^^Silk Garden

Genpei Turtle posted:

Noro yarn! I love the way it changes both color and thickness throughout the skein; it makes it a lot of fun to work with. What are you planning to make out of it? You could make at least four pairs of socks with that much!

I'm making the Brooklyn Tweed Silk Garden scarf for my dad.

Mom is (red merino) is getting an Irish Hiking Scarf and my sister is getting a ribbed scarf the LYS lady gave me a pattern for, unless I find something else.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The problem continues, this time at the Midwest Fiber & Folk Art Festival in Crystal Lake, IL.

I'm gonna be knitting socks until I freaking graduate.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about how that lime green and red is going to pool, but the blue and black in it overrode. Plus the colorway is called METAL :rock:

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 20, 2009

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I always use metal DPNs so I can knit as tight as I please. It's the only way to get my tension even.

'Course, now my socks are coming out too small. :saddowns:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It's hard enough being on a yarn diet, but MUST Ravelry taunt me with all the pictures of Dye for Glory/Sock Summit entries?!

Were Etsy not down for maintenance, I'd have already ordered that black/orange/purple yarn in the Pooling category. HALLOWEEN SOCKS!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
KnittingHelp.com has videos in English, Continental, Combined and even more :)

I'm a thrower; I'm a severe righty and carrying the yarn in my left hand is beyond clumsy to me.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Or you can do k1p1 rib, which looks like stockinette on both sides and doesn't roll.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I finished one today!

I'll have to take a better pic tomorrow; the light's not good enough for me to be bothered getting my actual camera out right now. But it's done!

Now I get to start another one for my dad's Christmas present. And a merino Irish hiking scarf for Mom. And a ribbed alpaca/silk one for my sister. :smithicide:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Oh no, that scarf was only two balls, plus it was 50% off :)

Better pic to show off the color:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

ThreeFish posted:

You definitely can make pretty decent blockers out of wire coat hangers. But you want them to have a plastic coating. Here's a tutorial. (Super-duper easy)http://www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm

Also can make better looking ones from dollar store plastic placemats. I haven't done these ones, but I have successfully done the coat hanger ones. Here's the placemat tut. http://littlesesameknits.blogspot.com/2007/04/super-easy-diy-sock-blockers-tutorial.html

As for socks in general- ugh. Socks were why I ever picked up a needle in the first place but I just had the hardest time learning them. First everything I knitted in the round was inside out, and then no matter how hard I tugged on DPNs, I always had ladders. Now I do 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars and I freaking love it. It took a little bit of getting used to, but it's really just awesome. There's all kinds of books, tutorials and videos for this method. Google it! You won't be disappointed!

Everything I knit round is inside out but I haven't found it to be a problem, I just turn it rightside out after it's done :confused: Granted I haven't finished a sock yet, but I have done hats.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Cables, I can knit them!

That's for my mom, here's progress on my dad's Silk Garden scarf:

About halfway there, once I finish those balls I get to attach two more and do it all over again. Still haven't started my sister's scarf :suicide:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Right. That particular pattern is the Irish Hiking Scarf, which is a fantastic first cable pattern. All you do is slip three stitches to the cable needle, knit the next three on the left needle, then knit the three stitches off the cable needle.

And yes, the yarn I used is Filtes King Extra Merino, if you look at the Rav comments people rave about how well it shows off cables. Stay away from fuzzy and/or variegated yarns, you won't be able to see poo poo.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 26, 2009

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I remember those... specifically I remember not having anyone to make one for, and no one to make one for me. :smith: baby goonette!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I love watermelon/Barbie pink, but would never combine it with another pink. I say scarf 1.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Firequirks posted:

I've also seen some stuff while walking by H&M that has pieces showing off colourways normally reserved for fancy sock yarns. I'm not one to normally appreciate some of the more variegated colourways for an everyday-wear item (some of the hats or scarves in ravelry just look too kitchy and "I MADE THIS :smug:" to me -- may as well be fun fur), but apparently fashion trends this year disagree with me.

I found a hat in H&M that looked knit with 50s (the broomsticks) and VERY VERY bulky yarn. It was about 25 rounds. I ain't paying no $20 for something I can knit in less than an hour.

I'm also seeing a lot of striped scarves with the ends left hanging out of each stripe :psyduck:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Drei posted:

^^
Blue Sky Alpaca has this cardigan that I plan to make for the boyfriend. Might be a bit pricey if you use BSA but anything with ~20-24 st gauge should substitute.

Looks simple, but SPORT WEIGHT? Start it tomorrow and maybe you could give him that for a retirement present XD

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I won't even try bamboo DPNs. I'm way too tight a knitter not to break one, so there's no way my work will slide off either.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I asked for a KnitPicks gift card, dunno if I'm getting it since my mom has made a habit of asking me what I want and then getting something else entirely.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

I caved and asked for that Webs bamboo interchangeable set. Fingers crossed I'll like them as much as my Clovers :ohdear:

Don't actually get a KnitPicks gift card! At KnitPicks, if you make a purchase over $50, shipping is free . . . but not if you're using a gift card. So just ask for an IOU instead.

I doubt I'd ever place an order over $50 as I don't care for their yarn (too blah and skimpy on yardage), I just want it to buy needles as I need them. Already learned the hard way about buying needles in advance, and I couldn't ask my parents to spring for the interchangeable set.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Scarf progress! I was too busy with school to finish them, so they're all half done and everyone gets to see the progress tonight when we do prezzies.

For Dad (Noro Silk Garden)

For Mom (Filtes King Extra Merino)

For my little sister (old pic, it's twice this length now) (Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Holy poo poo. I've seen people use swifts and ballwinders before, obviously - well, I've had it done for me at the yarn store, but I never realized it was FUN. Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Ok maybe I'm easily amused.

Isn't it? I can't wait for knitting circle on Monday so I can borrow my friend's baller and wind up two skeins of Silk Garden Sock :circlefap:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
A girl in our knitting circle had a destash today.

Guess who bought a skein of mediumweight STR and two skeins of Microspun for :10bux:? :woop:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ozma posted:

I'd do a yarn swap but:

I buy super cheap yarn no one wants
It's not organized
I use a tiny bit here and there for other projects so I rarely have a whole skein sitting around anyway

:( Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I want a scarf made of crab yarn. Why does it have to be SOCK yarn? LAME.

"Sock" only refers to the weight and sometimes what it's made of really, you can make anything you want out of it. It's basically hard-wearing fingering.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Anyone got suggestions for dyeable sock yarn besides KP Bare? I'd like something that doesn't felt (going off Ravelry comments) :(

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Right now my knitting bag is my Man Man squid tote!

Usually the knitting goes in whatever purse I'm carrying that day (I don't do small purses). I keep yarn and needles in a giant Rubbermaid storage box in my dorm closet.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
If you live in the area of Big Rock, Illinois, you can go to Esther's Place, they'll teach you how to spin (wheel or drop) for free if you buy fiber. It's a lovely cozy little place, and in the spring they'll have lambs to pet :3: All their yarn and fiber is from a co-op of Illinois sources, so you're supporting local farms and small businesses as well! I got this last time I went:

Corriedale wool roving... I'm not going to spin it though, just going to split it in half and knit it into a chunky beanie.

edit- Seriously, they're awesome, I hadn't seen the owner since I met her at Midwest Fiber & Folk Art in July or August and she not only remembered my name, but my major and that I'm hoping to study abroad in Japan :tinfoil:

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2010

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Klams Jam posted:

I like the fingers on the white one and the palm of the green. Yip, I am no help at all!

So I am now on my 4th sock, and really enjoying it. They've all be fairly vanilla til now, just ribbing and stockinette. Does anyone have a good 'next stage' type sock, with a bit of a pattern but not so complicated my head falls off? I've been eyeing up the Leyburn socks on ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leyburn-socks

I've got 2 skeins of jitterbug kicking about, one an almost solid purple, and one a lovely multi colour, which I really think the leyburn ones would show off nicely.

Also, when working on dpns how do I stop laddering! I'm currently working the gusset/foot of top down socks and it's the worst on the two needles holding the halves of the heel. Gah - knitting drives me insane sometimes.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monkey

Goes fast without being too easy. I think everyone in our knitting circle has made a pair or three.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I FINALLY finished my sister's scarf!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

madlilnerd posted:

What stitch is that?

Cast on an even number of stitches
Rows 1-3: k2 *p1 k1*
Rows 4-6: k1 *p1 k1*

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I find myself wishing there were Ravelrys for other hobbies all the time. It's just amazing.

And the forums...the mind boggles.

The Remnants forum is like some 4chan-esque echo chamber for overprotective suburban moms. I couldn't deal with it anymore.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I used the long-tail caston to teach my friend.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Daria Multi I-cord bracelets were ~all the rage~ in my knitting circle last year. We bought our LYS's entire stock of it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm lazy and keep them in the cases they came in.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

electricgoat posted:

I recently knit a scarf with a large cable design in the centre, and a very small cable design on either side of it. However, the edges (where the small cable designs are) keep rolling in. I tried wetting the scarf and pinning it down flat, but that didn't help. If I tried ironing it (separating the iron and the project by a pillow case or something like that), would it kill the cables? What would you folks recommend for getting it to lie flat? Thanks!

What fiber is it?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Quackmere Yarn, officially the yarn-snobbiest, most elitist loving yarn I've ever heard of. Yours for only $193 a skein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
In case people are too lazy to click that, Quackmere is made of duck down and this is how it's done:

quote:

Pure Quackmere yarns tend to cost more than your average luxury fiber because of the manually intensive process required to convert the duck feathers into spinnable fiber. First, each fiber must be plucked off the feather by hand, and each feather has an average of 4,000 fibers. It takes a skilled fiber-plucker between six and seven hours to remove all the fibers from one feather; and it takes approximately 212 feathers (or 1,484 hours) to obtain enough fibers to create one skein of Quackmere Classic.

Then there's the process itself. To prevent fiber breakage, each of these fibers must be plucked when the variable humidity is no greater than 12 percent; and to prevent damage to the microscopic scales covering each fiber, the plucking must be done with tweezers made from ivory—a fact that has already raised objections from many animal rights groups.

Once plucked, each fiber is then placed between two sheets of tissue paper and allowed to rest in a quiet room for 48 hours before being individually washed, rinsed, dried, coated with a pH-neutral coloring agent, and finally fed by hand into a special spinning frame.

SWEET MUSTACHE. WHILLIKERS.