Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Slightly strange question. I'm knitting this elephant with a terrible head cold. It won't need blocking, but if I soak it in some water with a bit of washing powder, will that help to kill some of the bugs? It isn't a gift, but I'm kind of grossing myself out. I don't have any wool soak, but I guess I can get some if I need to.

I'll post pics of the finished product as a thank you :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

FelicityGS posted:

You can use dish soap (I use Dawn) or woolsoak, either or.

Excellent, thanks :).

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I've just finished Sorceress and I'm casting on for the Queen of Diamonds Shawl. I'm not the world's most experienced knitter, and it's my first chart. I think I'm insane.

ETA: And my first time using circs. Why can't I be this confident in life?!

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 29, 2012

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Thank you for the encouragement :). I'm really enjoying this shawl, I hope it turns out!

I made myself seam Sorceress before I could go any further, it finished blocking about two days ago but the wool for QofD arrived, so I was all excited over the new project, heh.
Please excuse the terrible photo quality.

This one is a bit better.

And this is my progress on QofD so far. It's going nice and quick at the moment, hopefully my enthusiasm keeps up!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Onionetta posted:

I just finished my first ever sweater!

First EVER?! I bow down to you, that is amazing.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

HeatherChandler posted:

I have to say, I like a yarn store 100x more when the staff aren't fiber snobby or pushy.

I live in Christchurch. Thanks to the earthquakes, yarn stores are pretty thin on the ground. Add to that the fact that I don't drive. I found one yarn store which is on a direct bus route from my house, but the women working there were so rude that I stopped going entirely, and resigned myself to buying from WEBS and waiting for it to ship all the way here.

A few days ago, I tracked down a shop which is more difficult to get to, and involves a ~20 minute walk from the bus stop in either direction. But the staff there seemed so much nicer, that I would rather walk all that way than go back to the one where the women were rude.

Polite staff are *really* important, at least to me.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

ackapoo posted:

Do you always block your pieces after they are finished? Or do you leave some of them unblocked? I feel like I have made a terrible mistake. I knitted a cowl with ribbing and I loved the structure in it. But then I decided to wet it to block and a lot of the structure is gone. The edges are curled inwards so I feel like it gave some sort of extra structure, but now it's stretched out and while it looks awesome, it doesn't look as awesome :/

The pattern for the cowl I'm going to knit soon says not to block it for that reason, or only to block lightly, so maybe some stuff just doesn't block well? I wish I could help, I would be so gutted if I did that :(. Hopefully someone else has some good advice.

I've been making some progress on Queen of Diamonds. All finished with chart 1, stuffed up the last set of pattern repeats in the last section and now I have to decrease 3 stitches before starting the next chart :(. poo poo. Oh well!

Please excuse the horribly messy desk :aaa:.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

ackapoo posted:

EDIT: It seems like, looking through some photos on Ravelry of finished pieces, that it's knit for 3 inches THEN I do the k4 M1B. But if you have any ideas also please let me know!

That's how I'm reading it too. Their numbering system is weird, but I would knit 3 inches, then do k4 M1B, then keep knitting for 8 inches and move to round 6. Confusing!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has arguments with her/himself over their knitting. I've been trying to figure out the written instructions between charts (charts haven't given me any trouble, despite my anxiety!) and was having a hell of a time. Couldn't figure out why there was a ten stitch increase when the instructions called for a 24 stitch increase, couldn't figure out how to increase 10 stitches evenly over 4 sections......finally figured it all out and loudly called myself a loving idiot. Hooray for an empty house!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Hoping there are some math whizzes in here who can help me out. I'm trying to work out a rough estimate for the required yardage of yarn given the dimensions of a (thankfully rectangular) project. The formula I have so far is:

Height x width = dimensions in square inches.
Stitches per inch x rows per inch = stitches in a square inch.
Stitches in a square inch x size in square inches = total number of stitches, then multiply by 3 because it's knitted with 3 strands held together. This gives the true total # of stitches.
Then I need to work out the number of stitches per inch of yarn.
Divide the total number of stitches by ^ to get the inches of yarn required.
Divide by 36 to find the yardage required.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Yes, emailing the designer would be much easier. But I've never had much luck getting people on Rav to message me back. Also I was bored and wanted to test myself.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Amykinz posted:

I would say to get gauge in the stitch pattern, then knit a 5x5 or 10x10 square in the pattern. Weigh that swatch and then you can work out yarn to square inch of knitting.

I'm trying to work out yardage before buying the yarn. I'm ordering it from WEBS and it takes a few weeks to get to me. I'd like to order it all at once if I can.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

I love the way the colours have striped, that's gorgeous.

I am THIS - - close to finishing Queen of Diamonds. 3/4 of the way through the bind off row, after fudging the last few rows in an attempt to NOT run out of wool, and guess what happened? I had an extra ball on it's way but got impatient and wanted it off the needles. That will teach me.

So, since I have two essays to write and shouldn't even be thinking about knitting, I cast on for two new projects, Grenadine in cheap wool to test out the pattern, and a Twisted Vine Neckwarmer in my leftover Malabrigo. If it looks nice, it will probably be my mother's Christmas present, thus solving my last present dilemma.

This is Grenadine so far:

If it looks nice, I'm going to knit it again in Manos del Uruguay Stratus:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Dropping half a dozen stitches while knitting cables on size 5 dpns and a too-small, plastic and bendy as hell cable needle is a recipe for a tantrum and a bourbon. That's my excuse, anyway.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Think I've knitted myself in to a wrist injury. They aren't bad yet but they are starting to hurt. Other than laying off the drat knitting, obviously, and wearing compression bandages, is there anything I can do to help/prevent this? I've also gone back to working full-time (as a barista, which is hard on the wrists too), and I've still got a stack of Christmas presents to finish, so this is really bad timing :(.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Never mind, I'll just swatch it :)

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 12, 2012

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fooley posted:

I almost added one to my xmas list, but i never buy yarn in hanks except for Rhinebeck, and my LYS is cool about winding them.

I desperately need a winder, nearly everything I buy is in hanks :(. After hand-winding 950 yards of lace yesterday/today, I'm buying myself a drat winder.

Oh god, Christmas :gonk:. I need to add about another hank's worth to this Irish Hiking Scarf

Stitch Twisted Vine Neckwarmer together

And turn this small pile of letters

Into a much, much larger pile for two signs. I'm sure I can get it all done, but there's a newly wound ball of MadTosh Lace in Baltic that's calling my name, begging to be made in to Winter Thaw.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
^Gorgeous colour!

So there's no way Dad's scarf will be done by tomorrow (drat southern hemisphere). At this stage it's going to be wrapped up still on the needles, wool and all, and I'll finish it once he's unwrapped it. Lucky I'm spending Christmas with them! I was doing so well, too. Hope I'm not the only one who's still behind.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
And it's over for another year, thank god. They loved their presents, although I was a bit peeved that they were more impressed by a bunch of dishcloths stitched together to make a sign than by the 4 foot long (admittedly unfinished) cabled scarf or the cables-and-lace neckwarmer :eyeroll:. Never mind. Merry Christmas all :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

stab stabby posted:

I knit this fox scarf yesterday, only modified for bulky yarn.

That is so cool! Crap, my queue is growing at an alarming rate.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I had a package waiting for me in my mailbox today....

*jaw drop* The pretty!!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I just frogged almost a foot from a sweater I'm knitting... in lace weight yarn. There was some cursing involved and now I deserve some booze.

Why in God's name are you knitting a sweater in lace? :aaaaa: I'm too scared to try one in fingering weight! :( Admittedly I'm pretty fat, but still.

As for the needle discussion, I'm with GabrielAisling - bamboo is way too grabby for me. I have a set that I will use if I have to, but mostly they just hold WIPs when I get bored and need that size needle for a new project. Also nthing the vote for circulars, they're so versatile that unless you hate them/can't knit on them, I think you're better off with them.

Waddley Hasselhoff - I'm building up my Knitter's Pride Nova collection. They're nickel-plated which may be a problem, but they're smooth without being too slippery and they're very light.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

(I also wound it without a swift. THAT was fun.)

Oh god, this. I wound a single big skein of laceweight without a swift or winder and immediately swore never to do it again. Luckily I'm not a fan of lace.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

zamiel posted:

My dog wants to attack them anytime I put them on my feet. She never barks much, but she gets quite vocal! Also, that is the "puppy wall" to keep her from my cords.

That face! :3: She looks so sad, haha.

Bob, how on earth do you have half a pug?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

He's a 'puggle' (aka mutt), half pug and half beagle. And all dumbass. :)

Ohhhh. Yeah, I have a cat like that. He's......special :downs:.

For content, this is what I'm doing with the wool I posted earlier. Direct to you from the Unfashionable Western Arm of the Galaxy, I give you:

Hitchhiker

I've put Arabian Nights on the backburner for the time being.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Finished my Hitchhiker a couple of days ago. Little shorter than the pattern, but I couldn't be assed hand-winding another skein for another few teeth, and I didn't mind the length. Thinking about making the matching gloves at some point, but I should probably finish Arabian Nights and I'm knitting some bits and pieces - dishcloths, a tea towel, and the lovely Emerald's Lace bath set as a housewarming gift for my parents, who move next week. I love taking on last minute projects, because I'm an idiot :rolleyes:. Never mind.

Second image gets closest to the true colour, but the in progress photos I posted earlier show it best. It really is stunning. The pattern itself is incredibly simple to knit, and looks great when it's finished.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I don't like laceweight yarn. I hate winding it, and I don't like knitting with it. It's light and it's pretty, but I'm terrified of breaking it by pulling too hard and my tension is all over the place. I knit much looser, and more unevenly. And I make so. many. mistakes. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it likely to go away as I get more experience with laceweight? Lace patterns are fine as long as the yarn is heavier, and I don't seem to have problems with my tension.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Drei posted:

I'm making the Honeybee Cardigan with some beautiful hand-dyed yarn my aunt gifted me.

The cropped version of that cardigan is exactly what I'm looking for. I need a shrug/bolero with longer sleeves to cover my flabby arms, but couldn't find much that I really liked. Of course, my newest problem is that I have ~1300 yards of the most gorgeous dark cherry yarn, and I need two more skeins for the project :(. Great. Now I need to find something else to do with this yarn, oh how terrible for me.

ETA: Oh no, it looks like I'll have to request a custom order from my favourite local dyer. drat. What a shame.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2013

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Drei posted:

The cropped version uses less than 1300 yards up to the 42.5" size. I only have 1336 yards of the yarn I'm using and at the 38" size it's at belt-length and I've used less than half my yarn. Plus the lace is very stretchy and will probably grow a bit with blocking.

I'm looking at the 56", and I'd like to block some extra room out of it anyway, so that it's not too fitting. Never mind. (Really I just need to lose some weight :ssh:)

OxnardMontalvo posted:

I made a rabbit. He's full of mistakes, but that just makes him quaint as hell. Now I just need to make a little vest for him and see if anyone I know wants a little rabbit. I've got too many stuffed animals as it is.

I just let out the biggest, loudest, "Awwww!" That is so cute. Especially the picture from behind :3:. He looks like he's about to sneak off on an adventure.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Love those colours, can't wait to see it finished!

I'm leaving on a weekend trip tomorrow (Friday). There will be about 8 hours of driving tomorrow (I'm not driving all weekend), probably another 6-8 hours on Monday, then 3-4 on Tuesday. A lot of knitting time.

It's 10.30pm. We're leaving at about 8am tomorrow. I've been pondering which knitting projects would be best for the trip for the last week. I only started thinking about which clothes to pack a few hours ago, after I realised I was cutting it a bit short and should really get a move on.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I cannot adequately describe my loathing for reverse stockinette. I don't know why I hate it so drat much, I just can't stand the way it looks.

(I'm looking for a pattern to use two skeins of the most stunning green DK weight, and the shawls I love all seem to have reverse stockinette bodies. I know I can change that easily, but ick.)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you mean garter? That prevents curling and a visible wrong side. If it were reverse stockinette, you could just turn it around. :)

I mean patterns like this.

Or French Cancan which I adore, but hate the body of. Like I said, they're easy to change, I just think they look terrible the way they're designed.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 15, 2013

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

effika posted:

8 skeins of this bright sky blue Shibui yarn (it's much more intense in person).

I have two skeins of this colour, and I cannot decide what to do with it. I'm thinking shawl rather than sock, but I just can't find the perfect pattern. Good luck :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fionnoula posted:

Could have been worse though, the Third Place shawl was hung on the hanger wrong-side out, you couldn't see the design at all.

Why on earth don't they let the knitters hang them themselves? Or at least ask them how it should be hung, good lord.

I've just started packing for a two week holiday, and quickly realised I was going to need to ration my knitting, because it was already taking up half of my suddenly-not-that-big suitcase. I pulled a few things out and squished it down to a quarter of the space, and of course now I feel like I'm going to run out of projects :rolleyes:.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I've been meaning to make Haruni since I started knitting. Thinking about doing it in lace held double, one red and one a bright purple.

Also I love your limerick Waddley.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fooley posted:

So, I'm actually attempting Yggdrasil this time. Has anyone else tried/finished it?

What size are you knitting that in? Because holy poo poo that looks amazing, but gently caress trying to knit the biggest size. Of course, I've queued it and really want to knit the biggest size :suicide:.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fooley posted:

Biggest, of course.

A man after my own heart :allears:.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

two forty posted:

I just realized that I've been knitting my first project in the round on circulars backwards, ie making it inside out. I've used DPNs before, don't know why I didn't catch myself earlier. Luckily it'll turn out fine, but I feel really stupid and it's way to late to turn back now.

Drinking and knitting: not even once.

I knit a pair of mittens a while back and the thumb on one mitten is inside out, because I turned the glove right side out to have a look at it and forgot to turn it back before I started knitting again :downs:.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/9204894/Who-says-real-Kiwi-men-don-t-knit
A men's knitting group in Christchurch.

"League of Knitting Gentlemen" is my new favourite phrase. It kind of sucks though, there are two knitting groups that I'm aware of (aside from his, obviously) and because I don't drive attending either group would be difficult. One is held at different members' homes, and I'd feel awkward about trying to beg a ride every week, and the other is at a cafe on the other side of town. :sigh:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

:aaaaa: That is beautiful. I need to have another go at double knitting. How do you keep tension while holding two yarns/how do you hold two yarns? I have trouble holding on to both so I found myself switching constantly which was just annoying.

ETA: I'm attempting to convince myself that instead of starting a third project, I should finish one or both of my current WIPs first. On the other hand, starting the new project would mean I've started on my Christmas knitting. Ah, knitting dilemmas.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 1, 2013

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Made a comment about needing to start my Christmas knitting soon, and my partner replied, "If it makes it any easier, you could knit me something for Christmas too."

Yes, because adding yet ANOTHER project to an already teetering pile will make my life SO much easier, thank you darling. Dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

ackapoo posted:

The logic. It burns.

He genuinely thought he was being helpful :downs:.