Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've been crocheting off and on for about 13 years, but I'm brand new to knitting, like taught myself last night and today new. So far I've been able to teach myself to knit and purl, but I'm really dissatisfied with the cheapo metal needles I started with. I've gone through the first 12 or so pages and the last 3 pages of this thread, but didn't want to read through all 120 pages to see if anyone has any recommendations for decent moderately priced wood needles. I think the metal is a bit too slick for me. I'm on Ravelry as Zoidyberg and some of my crocheting projects that I've actually taken pics of are up there. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're just starting, it makes more sense to buy a couple pairs and see what you like, rather than investing in a big set that might not be your thing. Personally I really like Takumi Clover bamboo needles, which are sold all over the place for not much money.

Thanks I'm going to try a couple different materials and then eventually invest in a set that I like!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I just bought some Berroco Flicker and it's very stretchy yarn, unlike any other yarn I've worked with before. Does anyone have any advice for casting on and knitting with something like this? Much appreciated!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've worked with both I Love This Yarn and Knit Picks Brava, I would choose the Brava over I Love This Yarn any day. To me it's sooo much softer! I'm working on a blanket with the Brava Bulky and I really like it so far, not very splitty. It's a very simple project in garter stitch.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

My soon to be husband and I are headed to Portland in September for our honeymoon. I was hoping that some of you might live up that direction and could give some recommendations for a LYS or two that I can visit for souvenir yarn? So this isn't a post completely devoid of knitting- I made a cowl! :D

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks everyone I'm really excited for the wedding and getting to explore Portland in September!

Edit: Abstract Fibers- the yarns are amazing- I will definitely check them out at a local store!
Yarnia makes me really excited because I could get just the color combos that I want :D
Yarn Garden also looks awesome! I'm really excited to check it all out! super :dance:

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 28, 2012

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Does anyone have one of the KnitPicks yarn swifts and ball winders? Since there aren't really any reviews on their website, I was wondering about the quality of both and if anyone has any comments on them.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

FelicityGS posted:

I have that swift and I love it too. It doubles as a really fantastic faux niddy noddy when I'm winding off spinning and I love that I can fold it up and store it when I'm done.

So with most swifts I know you clamp them onto a table edge or counter in order to keep them steady. How does that work with this type of swift?

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Sweet, I will probably grab a swift like that then! I'm super excited to not have to wind balls by hand!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Open question, how do you hold your needles as you knit? I only learned how to do stitches from the internet and it occurs to me that I might be holding mine wrong.

I knit continental and hold my yarn weaving in between my fingers on my left hand. No wrapping around the pinky. This was how I learned to crochet so it was easiest to keep doing this for when I learned to knit. I also tension the yarn somehow but it's intuitive as well at this point and hard to describe.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Please tell me what you would see in your dream knitting store?

Both the stores that I regularly shop at have tons of wool, but it's the scratchy kind that I wouldn't want to put on my skin, so I'd love to find a yarn shop that has a larger supply of merino wool yarns in varying weights. I'd love to find a shop that has more variegated yarns too that aren't fingering weight. :)

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Phishi posted:

One thing I LOVE to find (and almost always buy at least once) is yarn made/dyed locally. ESPECIALLY artists that don't have a huge presence on the web yet. When I'm visiting somewhere I love buying a "souvenir skein" of something I can't find elsewhere. If you're in an area with a lot of tourist activity I can see that being a draw (unless, of course, I'm the only one...)

No you're not the only one! I'm hoping to get some souvenir skeins when I'm in Portland on my honeymoon near the end of the month! I love this idea!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone have a good book to recommend for learning how to Fair Isle Knit? Preferably something with pictures and instructions for a continental knitter. Thanks!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

The mittens book looks awesome. I might try and check that and the Book of Fair Isle out at the library first to see where I might want to start. Thanks!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

The Vogue Knitting reviews are awesome. I'll be perusing this blog every time I'm bored at work- Thanks!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I'm a continental knitter (started out crocheting and couldn't make myself switch which hand holds the yarn). This is how I hold my left needle and the yarn. I don't wrap the yarn around my pinky like some do- I just weave it between my fingers. I just hold the needle in my right hand with my pinky and ring finger kind of cradling the needle.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I love knitting continental, I just wish I could get the hang of English too because it would make color work so much more efficient, but alas I just take forever switching yarns because my brain won't make the connection :argh:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I finished my second knitting project this weekend. It's an argyle hat that I made for a friend who wanted an outlandish Broncos colors hat. The pattern doesn't call for a pom pom but he wanted one so I made one :)

It was my first time doing color work and so my loops in the back are a bit too big for some and too small/tight on others, but I figure it was a great learning experience. The hat might be a bit too big on him but I don't think he'll care and I know he won't notice that the color work isn't perfect.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it! :D

Grats on the socks Oxnard, I want to learn how to do toe up socks next!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I started a new hat last night and I'm encountering something new in reading knitting patterns- parentheses.

My pattern reads:p2, (k1, p3) to end (ends on k1)

Since my brain no work good after too little sleep last night and getting up super early, does that mean I p2 then k1, p3 repeated to the end or do I repeat the whole "p2, (k1, p3)" till the end. I was looking around the internet for an answer but the light isn't going on above my head tonight. Thanks!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

It's weird. I did the first row of this and it ended on a p. I think I'm doing it right though because the p2 for the new row would be next and thus keeping the p3 between k1 going. It's the Interweave Hat by Elizabeth Seidle on Ravelry.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

So far it's working just fine. I did double check my number of stitches and I do have the 88 the pattern calls for. Not to worried about ending on a purl for now.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Nione posted:

After that, I'd like to do an afghan. Does anyone know good places to get discount yarn for cheap? My afghan pattern calls for bulky yarn, and it looks like I'll need about 16 skeins. I'd love to get it all for less than $100.

Depending on how much yardage each skein needs to be and whether or not you want wool or another fiber like acrylic, I'd recommend Knit Picks again. Their Brava Bulky is really soft and nice to work with for acrylic and is 2.99 a ball. Otherwise they have Wool of the Andes Bulky for 4.99 per hank. Both are around 135/yd per ball/hank.

Alternatively you could get their Full Circle Bulky which is recycled wool for 6.49 which would put you slightly over $100 for 16 balls but is only 110 yd.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I would make one of the cat beds in Cat Bordhi's book "A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting" but I know my cats would never use it :(

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've knit with Brava Bulky for a baby blanket and I really enjoyed it. I haven't washed it so I can't speak to whether or not it'll bleed. I found it nice and soft and a pleasure to work with compared to other acrylics.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Knitter's Pride have tips that go down below size 4. I have almost a complete set of theirs in the nickel plated. I'm tired of the screw on tips though since I've run into problems with some of the cables having weird screw sections that won't let my needle fully screw onto the cable. I'm also tired of worrying that they will come unscrewed in the middle of something and find myself constantly re-tightening them. My husband got me the skacel addi click turbos for Christmas. We have trouble keeping gifts secret ;)

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've been knitting for about a year now and I've been knitting with knitter's pride nova interchangeables for at least half that time. I sometimes have stitches slide but its pretty rare that it creates problems for me. I got a knit picks try it out set with wood, nickel, and plastic tips to decide what needle type I liked best to start and I like how smoothly stitches move on metal so I got a metal set :)

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Love the colors and the start of the color work pattern on that bag. Blues and greens are my favorite!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

It doesn't seem to matter when you've last ordered from them because my card had fraud on it last week and I hadn't ordered from them in at least 6-9 months. Wish KnitPicks had informed its customers because my husband and I had been searching for the reason my card was stolen. Also wish I'd been told because I just placed a new order with them this week and I probably would have reconsidered had I known. Now they have my new number...

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I did not have my credit card saved with them. I re-entered my info each time I ordered with them so for people that haven't had their card numbers changed recently saved info vs non-saved may not matter.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

eggrolled posted:

I have a newbie knitter question!

How do you guys like to hold your working yarn when knitting continental style?

I started knitting for the first time last night (continental; using size 11 KP interchangeable circs as straights and some wool ease thick n quick), but I was struggling with finding a good hand/yarn configuration. I tried the looping around the index finger, as well as the pinky+index finger loop style; I was able to maintain tension most of the time, but the yarn always required a lot of rather hard yanking to "advance" (if that makes sense). Having to yank my working yarn along fatigued my hands and kinda gave me a friction burny type sensation at times.

Is there a better way to hold or will it be less of a problem with less chunky/rough yarns? :v:

If you go to knittinghelp.com and look at the continental knitting videos- basic knit or purl stitch videos- that is how I hold my working yarn. Their videos really helped me when I first started!

Edit: I usually weave the yarn between my fingers instead of holding it across the bottom of them.

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2013

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I am a glutton for punishment and I have started a Color Affection shawl. So far so good but I'm not looking forward to the short rows-I'm going to struggle to convert the M1's in the pattern to the KFB that everyone on Ravelry recommends. Just started the stripes with the first contrast color!

All three colors together. I'm using KnitPicks Palette: Calypso Heather as the main color, Clarity as the C1, and Marina as the C2.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I can do my best to estimate how much per skein I have left, but I don't have anything that will accurately measure it for me. I can tell you this is going to take me a while so I wouldn't expect an answer anytime soon...

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Some people have estimates in their notes of how much they have left but I think that'll still depend on yarn type, needle size, any changes to the original pattern they've made, etc.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I'm dragging my husband to the Estes Park Wool Market in June. I couldn't go last year due to work and almost had the same issue this year so I'm super excited! :D

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I finished my first sweater recently- figured starting with a miniature version would be a good way to introduce myself to sweater making plus it has the bonus of going to one of my friends who just had a baby boy on Tuesday. I've weaved in the ends, washed it in unscented Eucalan, and mailed it off. Pattern- Newborn Vertebrae

I had started another sweater for her in a 6-9 month size that is showing some good progress and I really like the pattern and the yarn. I'm excited to go button shopping and find some really cute buttons. Pattern- Assisted Hatching

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I self taught myself for the most part about a year and a half ago. The best resource I found online was knittinghelp.com. They also make an app with all their videos for $5 but once you download it you don't need Internet to play them so it's become my traveling resource! Love it!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

The best thing about knittinghelp.com for me was that a lot of videos out there can be iffy in quality and their videos are good quality. They also show a lot of techniques in both English and continental styles which I could appreciate since I'm a continental knitter. I've also found knitpicks website to have useful tutorials and videos that are high quality and clear.

I can second the not using cotton yarn. Even an acrylic blend would be better than cotton for learning.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

suddenly cats posted:

Just as someone said a few posts up, English is holding the yarn in your right hand, while Continental is holding the yarn in your left. Both styles work the project right-to-left, so it's really a matter of preference and what's more comfortable for you.

Personally, I prefer Continental style, because I learned to crochet first, and being right-handed I hold the yarn in my left for crochet anyway. v:3:v

This exactly- I learned to crochet first and could never get my right hand to hold yarn and work properly so I gave up and went with the continental. Benefit to that is my left hand learned to tension well while crocheting so everyone is amazed that my stitches are so even for my knitting when I haven't been knitting that long- I always credit learning to crochet first!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I have a set of addi turbos circulars that I like because I knit continental and I'm a pusher. The points aren't quite as sharp and the needles go on the cord via a spring and turn rather than a screw. I also have a set of knitters pride novas from yarn.com that I use because they offer more needle tip sizes than the addis do. I use dpns for anything small diameter haven't gotten the hang of magic loop yet. I originally got a sampler set of interchangeable circulars that included an acrylic, wood, and metal tips to figure out what type of tip I liked. Those are available through yarn.com and knitpicks.com for about $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

FelicityGS posted:

You can do many sweaters at once, it just depends what century you want to wear them. Do it. Do iiiiit.

I really like that sweater but I'd never wear it so I want to live vicariously through you.

This exactly ;)