Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This thread makes me feel totally inadequate! I've been knitting for a long time, but never really gotten too serious with it. I don't knit clothes, and have a lot of crappy scarves and hats that I've made for myself over the years, but otherwise the only things I've ever really made were various stuffed creatures as Christmas gifts. I don't have pictures of a lot of them anymore, but I still have this peashooter from Plants vs. Zombies and this stylized Haunter from Pokemon from several years ago. These were the first two I ever did.

I'm currently doing my first venture into double knitting and it's going well I think, but man, the counting and constantly checking and rechecking the pattern has made this the slowest I've ever done anything.

I only really knit for Christmas, but every time I learn some new technique, so it really make Fall a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Serenity Dove posted:

I think it's a rite of passage for any knitter to have that one (or many) skeins of yarn in their stash that was bought with the best of intentions. :v:

I had this and had bags and bags of yarn, and then I had a moth infestation in my closet and had to throw out all of it.

Now I don't buy yarn unless I have a specific intention for it, no matter how pretty it is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I do most of my knitting to create stuffed animals and characters from video games so I see that and immediately think I could make an armadillo or maybe bowser/rammus.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It'd make a decent pineapple pattern.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I had bags and bags, but then I got a moth infestation and had to throw them all out. Be careful with keeping that much around.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
These posts make me tired of big heavy things and I want to try something delicate and lacy with lots of little holes since I want to practice my technique. Does anyone know of a pattern that's well written for beginners of using patterns? I've looked at a few but they aren't really written in an accessible way.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

HeatherChandler posted:

How much lace experience do you have? My first lace attempt was https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kevat-shawl and it was pretty foolproof. There aren't a lot of instructions but it's only yarn-overs and one triple decrease that was new to me. It's written and charted. I did one on worsted and one in fingering before trying anything in laceweight. Another good starting place is a feather and fan pattern, it gives the feel for yarn overs and decreases but it's memorizable and repetitive.

I decided to make this. It was going well enough for a while, but I made some sort of mistake that I could not for the life of me fix, so I've started over. I think it's not about the material as much as I just want something that feels light and airy rather than the more "solid" pieces I've made before.

I also rewrote the instructions after a while, since the chart was harder to follow than just making a repeatable pattern.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I should probably try to get used to knitting from a chart, since it'll be easier to find mistakes rather than a blind count where if something goes wrong it takes me forever to figure out where since I'm not really looking at the work, I'm just following the instructions.

I used charts for when I made some potholders last Christmas that involved double knitting, since written instructions for that would have been too complicated written down even though the actual piece was incredibly easy. But for this where there's multiple techniques going on at once I need it written out to remind me what to do next.

This one I'm using is an ever expanding chart, but I found that I could make a series of written instructions of 4 rows that just repeat with a section in the middle that I repeat until I get to the end of the row.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm double knitting this very large throw pillow and I noticed near the end of a row a mistake I made at the beginning of the previous row that I had to go all the way back to fix. Each row is a little under 200 stitches. It makes me grumble.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it wouldn't have mattered in this case because I wouldn't have had the right amount of yarn between where I messed up and where I could have fixed it, but I'd also like to see how this is done.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I tried fixing a mistake and ended up making everything so much worse I had to completely undo about 6 rows to get it all back together right.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest thing that people do that makes knitting seem harder than it is, is that when they start they are always holding everything way too tight and it feels like you're fighting with the yarn the whole time. Just do little 10x10 swatches and make sure you are keeping everything nice and loose. The yarn should just slip right off easily while still holding its shape. I like acrylic and metal needles since they tend to keep everything smooth and easy moving. If you find yourself struggling to put the needle into your next stitch then just let go of your yarn and try to loosen it up.

Also so much is a matter of preference. I know continental is technically faster, but I'm painfully right handed and like keeping as much control in my right hand as possible, so even though I've been knitting most of my life, I really prefer English style.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I only knit for about 6 weeks a year, mostly for Christmas presents, and every year the first time I double knit a pattern I manage to confuse myself about half way through the second row on which is the front and which is the back.

This has been happening for at least the last 5 years.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For so long a pattern would tell me to place a marker and I'd be all smug saying "pfft, no. I don't need to do that, I have eyes! I can count!" and then I started freely using markers this year and everything was so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just use tiny loops of yarn in a colour I'm not using for that particular project, since there's always scraps left over. I just keep them in the box with my interchangable circular needle set (which I have no idea how I ever lived without).