Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Hello knitting thread. For various lovely reasons last year I couldn't get my family anything for christmas, they didn't mind, but it bugged me quite a bit. So this year I want to kick some rear end and make something for everyone in my family. The idea is to make something related to their primary hobby that they will use regularly and is nicer or will last longer than what they would normally get themselves. I'm doing research now so that if it takes a significant investment of time to learn how to make it I can do so.

My mom is an avid knitter, but I don't know what piece of gear would fit into the above criteria. Is there anything that you know of that is really close to being perfect but that the market doesn't make? Or some tool that would be useful in a small way and that would be used regularly but that doesn't currently exist? AFAIK the knitting tools that she has now are needles (a lot of them), those things you clip onto the needles to count stitches, and bag that has a hole in the top to let yarn out through without the roll from wandering off, and of course a metric shitload of yarn. I'll see if I can get a picture because I think it's insane.

PS. I thought there was another knitting thread that was more about how-to, but I couldn't find it. If that's a better place for this feel free to call me dumb and please point me to that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

When you say you want to make something, what can you make? Do you sew, are you a woodworker . . . ?

Good question, I'm generally pretty handy and like diy projects, and now have the means to get the necessary equipment. TBH, learning new skills is as much a part of this as making cool gifts for my family. I'm an embedded engineer by trade, so if there are electrical gadgets that would be useful that would be within my current skillset. I don't have much of experience with wood, metal, or cloth, but have worked with composites for at my job, if that would be useful. But if there is some special wood (or whatever) contraption that would be useful, then I'll learn to make it.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I talked to my mom under some pretense in an attempt to not give away my plan. She does have a swift and a ball winder, and doesn't think she'd get much use from a yardage counter. She mentioned not being very happy with her needle organization. That's a lot more mundane than a yardage counter, but if it'll be useful then that's what I'll make. Question is, how do I solve that problem? I don't have an inventory of her needles (though I could probably get one) or if she wants storeage for at home or for travel. More research is required, but I figured I'd update you. Also, if you have any advice on needle storage, I'd appreciate it.

On the topic of yardage counters, what are the problems with current ones? It sounds like an interesting problem so I might look into it and try to make something better.