Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I actually built a really ghetto single op-amp amplifier for my guitar a couple weeks ago. I used a 9 volt AC adapter, and absolutely no fancy split-power supply. It sounds really distorted (and awesome, for my application: playing a super crappy squier into a pair of headphones) and I just assumed thats what Op-Amps did, and thats why they're 50 cents a piece at radio shack.

Are you guys suggesting that if I linked it to a split power supply, it would amplify without wonky low-fi distortion? I like it the way it is, but I'm also quite curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mtwieg posted:

I was thinking about making a series...
Please do! There are a lot of topics in that block I'm confused by and interested in learning more about!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mtwieg posted:

1. Signal filters/effects, with an emphasis on audio stuff (but small signal conditioning, not power amplifiers). Covers things like clipping, clamping, tone control, simple graphic EQ, phasing, wah, rectification, envelope detectors, etc.

I'd like to submit my vote for this one if you please.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Unless it is a FUCKTON of power, interference is probably not occurring from wire to wire. Are the ends of the wires connected properly? What makes you suspect they might be interfering?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

My radio got stolen a while back, and I really miss it. I'm not keen on just replacing it with a new one, because it will probably just get jacked again.

SO, instead I would like to keep a big gaping nasty hole in my dashboard that says, "you already hit this one", and then hide a sound system somewhere else.

I have a really awesome Sansa mp3 player with FM radio, and the speakers in my car are really great. I just need some way to amplify it. Can I just buy a car amplifier at Best Buy or wherever and hook it up to the headphone jack on my Sansa? I feel like this would be too easy and there is more work to be done, so I am hesitant to try it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

http://www.scribd.com/ could help. That's the only website I can think of that can host PDFs. There might be a quick way to turn all the pages into jpegs, as well, but that would probably take too long to post.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Can somebody explain basic capacitors and how they work in a circuit?

I know they store electrons and have a voltage. However, how do they work in a circuit? Do electrons ever pass THROUGH the capacitor? I was understand the impression that they NEVER pass through the capacitor (because of the insulator between the two dielectrics)

However, this example circuit seems to contradict my thinking since it shows electrons flowing THROUGH the capacitor.

Can soembody help me out? :(

The electrons don't go through. A yellow dot can never be found in the gap between the plates. The electrons go towards the first plate, and then stop. This builds up a field that pushes electrons away from the other plate.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

my university requires engineering majors take an intro to programming course, and when I took it all we learned was Java (pretty much useless for engineers). Apparently this semester they changed it so that it's broken into sections, some of which focus on labview, matlab, and VHDL. I can't believe I missed out on this stuff. My inability to use development environments like these is going to burn me later...

Still can't wait to get into FPGAs next semester though. I've found several places where they would work much better than microcontrollers. Mainly for precise timing operation, or for dsp.

How can you be such a genius at circuit design while knowing nothing about something as basic as programing FPGAs!?!??! Are you taking all of your engineering classes in reverse? :psyduck:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What do FPGAs have to do with analog circuit design?

My electrical engineering classes went Programming -> Digital Logic -> FPGAs -> Circuit Design. He's clearly a wizard at circuit design, so not knowing about the beginner stuff is very strange to me... like someone who can't tie their shoes but knows how to build them from scratch.

Nobody is coming into the dork forum and reading the dork thread just to troll the poo poo out of the 6 other dorks in the thread. Stop being so paranoid you weirdos.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

The idea isn't really the product in these kinds of things.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Is there any advantage to tantalum capacitors? They sound ridiculously dangerous. I don't understand why they would ever be an option.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I cannot believe someone is giving you money to experiment and screw around, and I can not believe you are complaining about it. What is wrong with you?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

My landlord just bought us a doorbell. It communicates wirelessly from door-button to plugged-in-to-the-wall receiver. The problem is, he gave my next door neighbors one too. The exact same one. On the same frequency and everything. So it rings ours as well as theirs and vice versa and everyone is a bit annoyed.

I already checked to see if it has switches anywhere to alter the signal between them, and there are none. Its really cheap and chinese. Could I possibly alter the signal/reception on my own? What would those switches do if they WERE there? Could I tune the emitter and receiver to a different frequency, or is there a more intelligent way to do this?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Is it possible to synthesize circuits with sinusoidal voltages using the student edition of PSPICE?

I used it all the time during the DC unit to double-check my work and I would really like to continue to do so, but the circuit I tried said all the voltages were zero :/

Click here for the full 1024x600 image.

I was hoping it would tell me what the Voltage and Phase Angle of any given node was but instead there are just zeroes all over everywhere.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 14, 2009

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Anyone have a link to a good VHDL tutorial?

My digital systems teacher doesn't, so it looks like I'm going to have to teach this to myself.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

The x-1 button on my 10-year-old ti-83 is just about as convenient as anything. For parallel resistors you've gotta throw in some parenthesis but it ain't no thang cause there's buttons for that too.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

quote:

I've been interested in doing stuff with digital circuits for a while now (stuff is intentionally vague, since I haven't made up my mind on anything yet). I've been looking into getting an oscilloscope, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I gather that bandwidth and sample rate are key factors in what you'll be able to do with an oscilloscope, but unfortunately, I have no context as to what a certain bandwidth would or wouldn't allow me to do. Can anyone give/point at real-world examples of what, say, a 50MHz would/wouldn't be able to do? Also, PC-based scopes seem to be a good way to get better measurements for your money. Confirm/Deny?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfo_-d82Co
http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/oscilloscope_tutorial/oscilloscope_tutorial.htm

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 11, 2010

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I went out and bought a weller soldering iron when I first read this thread and it is terrible. :saddowns:

Do any of you all have a REALLY GREAT soldering iron? I have bought probably three in my life and each one was bad enough that i just threw it away when I moved. I am not ever going to mess with tiny things, but I would like to deadbug solder some coolass circuits.

According to the back of the package, the application of the iron is important in determining which iron will work best for you. But according to the back of the package, this iron is PERFECT for soldering discrete components together so maybe the other thing was bullshit too.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Is there an open source alternative to something like bluetooth?

I have a lot of (hobbyist-type) projects in mind that involve wireless communication and it would appear that using bluetooth for anything adds like ten zeroes to the end of the price tag. The bad end.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Zo posted:

Not open source, but zigbee is the cheaper/simpler version.
Thats what I was trying to remember!!! I saw a project on instructables (or something) a long time ago that implemented some little wireless things that had a Z on them. I was starting to think I had dreamt them because googling for anything relating to wireless is pretty fruitless since it has so many different meanings.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 14, 2010

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

therunningman posted:

I am making a small noise making circuit using a few op-amps. I want to able to switch between a square and a triangle waves at different audio frequencies I can then mix together. Real lo-fi stuff.

I want to be able to run it from a battery or a simple wall wart so I am using an op-amp to make a virtual ground for the wave generating part of the circuit.
I get nice square and triangle waves using two TL081, but the square wave is much louder than the triangle.
I tried to add a non-inverting amplifier to the triangle wave using another TL081, but it starts to flatten the valleys of the triangle wave before I can amplify it enough.

Why is this happening? Is this a completely wrong way of going about it? It is hacked together from snippets of datasheets. I am slowly picking this stuff up through osmosis so any help is greatly appreciated.

You should probably quiet the square-wave instead of amplifying the triangle one. Once those two are playing nicely together you could amplify the whole mess with a proper power amplifier.

The flat tops on your triangles are probably caused by trying to make the amplifier supply more voltage than you are giving it in the first place. Its output is "saturating".

Square waves are also just easier to hear in the first place. Triangle waves are almost as subtle as sine waves.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

On a completely unrelated note, I am trying to teach myself VHDL this summer because I didn't really "get" it when I took digital systems last semester. I'm using Circuit Design with VHDL by Pedroni and it has mentioned a lot of things (For example: d'VAL(pos), d'POS(value), d'LEFTOF(value) and d'VAL(row, column); and Rem, Mod and Abs) that there is "little or no synthesis support" for.

What exactly does this mean? I am guessing it means I can write and program devices with them, but I can't test them. I don't NEED to use them or anything, so I'm fine with just avoiding them for now, but I keep running in to the "little or no support" warning in this book and it'd be nice to understand it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

How did you determine the values for the voltage dividers? Is it possible that the voltage attenuation is linear when it should be logarithmic?

That would make it get quiet much faster than you thought it would (and it would also explain why a potentiometer works fine).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

Thanks, that confused the poo poo out of me in that stupid Electronics for Dummies book.

I ditched that and bought a Basic Electronics text book at a used book store for $5. Much better.

Engineering textbooks go through editions so quickly that this is an excellent way to learn. Old editions are still plenty relevant and everything from fancy math to extremely convoluted electrical engineering nonsense can be had for less than :10bux: at half price books.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Sneftel posted:

In an effort to make my 555-based LED dimmer circuit slightly teenier, I got the idea to short /RST to CV (and otherwise leave the two unconnected), basically using CV as an output level to assert /RESET without running VCC over to that corner of the chip. LTSpice thinks this is fine, but it's definitely not what CV was supposed to be used for... what are the odds that this'll work, and what are the odds that it'll let out the magic smoke?

And while we're at it, why do the data sheets show an "optional capacitor" from CV to ground?

I'm pretty sure connecting RST to CV will work. RST goes straight into a BJT and CV comes from a voltage divider so there isn't any danger of a short circuit or anything. The worst case scenario is the waveform might get all wonky.

With PWM I don't think there should be a cap there. In other configurations I'm pretty sure the 555 uses that capacitor to help stabilize the magnitude of the control voltage (and to shunt noise to ground)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Zaxxon posted:

if there is interest I could do a "getting started with AVRs" tutorial thing, basically an intro to how to go from nothing to a board and programming environment.

A "Getting started with PICs" might be good too.

I would love that. I am an electrical engineer but I have never bothered to sit down and learn about hobbyist digital electronics. I can build a whole processor on an FPGA but I don't know the first thing about arduinos or pickaxes or whatever the heck.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

No, because standing waves' time-averaged powerflows are zero according to my electromagnetics textbook.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Topical image concerning the coax discussion:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Sir are you suggesting that audiophiles are full of poo poo?!

Surely if we put five dollars of electronics in a wooden box, it becomes worth $350, right?

Hahahahaha is that an altoid tin amp with a machined mahogany facade? My wallet :(

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

sixide posted:

http://imgur.com/w5WTm

So I have this series-pass regulator for a benchtop tube biasing supply I've been working on. Any thoughts on reducing that 100kHz resonant peak without sacrificing my ripple reduction?

Those voltage/current sources are actually zener chains (or possibly TL431s) and JFETs in constant current configuration, respectively. They have little to no effect on the frequency response.

Edit: Also, R1 will probably be a potentiometer. Reducing the differential pair gain will be useful if you need a little more power out of the small transformer at the expense of AC rejection.

I am pretty sure you want to use pole splitting but I am having a really hard time remembering the theory behind it. If no one else can help I'll dig out my notes tomorrow morning.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I have to come up with an idea for my final project in my electronic communications class. It has to apply to electronic communications in some way, and I have to be able to make it in the next 2 weeks (so no obscure parts probably).

I am trying to think up ideas but its hard to be creative when you have to :ohdear: What would you guys build if you had 2 weeks and a fully-stocked parts closet?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I can build a communications circuit of some kind, OR I can simulate something in the design program of my choice. I was thinking about simulating some kind of interesting network topology/protocol like multiple-base wireless reception or something.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Those are all great ideas, guys. Thank you! I will update y'all with how it all turns out. Cheers :D

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ok. I have this figured out now (I think). I can use the 4000-family CMOS logic chips at 12V just fine.

So, I have a 555 with a ~1min period, which is pretty stable, to generate a clock signal for a 4040/4020/4520/4518/4024, which are counters of some flavor. I use some of the top bits (/16 /10 or w/e) to feed a 4028/4514/4515 which are BCD/octal decoders. Feed the decoder outputs through 4069/40106/4502/4041 (or 4049/4069 if nothing else) inverters (inverting buffer, inverting logic level converters) to directly feed the bases of my TIP125 PNP darlington power transistors.

I found a guy in town who "has a bunch of chips. Maybe finding the one you need will be... interesting." So I've got some part number alternatives.

Do I need current-limiting resistors anywhere? fuses? I'm bolting the transistors to an aluminum plate; that should be OK for heat sinking; they're only going to see 12V@1.25A.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25s341f.png

I feel like that counter is not hooked up right. Have you simulated it? Isn't it going to switch outputs every 8 minutes?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

sloppy_joes posted:

So I figured since the 1-8 connection controls the gain I'd be so clever and replace C2 (10 uf) with a .1 uf cap.
:lol:

Amplifiers are a pretty easy thing to learn so you should probably just read up on them a lil. The resistors in the circuit are what you want to change to impact the gain. Capacitors just filter and couple things together usually.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I'm trying to put together a cmoy and I've got all the parts, but for the switch instead of using the toggle switch they suggested I decided to use a rocker switch instead. The one I chose was this one which has 2 terminals rather than the 3 that the tutorial suggested. Did I gently caress up or will the one I chose work? In case you guys haven't deduced it yet, I'm COMPLETELY new to any kind of electronics stuff. Do I just hook up both ground wires to the one side of the switch?

They only use two pins of their switch anyways. You should be fine.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I like that huge dead-bug solder-sculpture so much. The rest of y'all are too conservative.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

How do you all like to draw circuits? I was reading "Make" earlier and I am pretty impressed by their schematics. I usually just print whatever Orcad Capture shows me but I'm feeling really inadequate right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Edit:/\/\/\ My house is beset on all sides by "secured" WEP networks. I feel like they are still pretty ubiquitous.

I'm thinking about grad school. Do you all have any resources that could help pare down potential schools? My only requirement right now is that they teach in English; I'm comfortable with traveling just about anywhere and I haven't officially chosen my area of specialization yet.

My question is manifold: I need help deciding on an area to focus on, and I also have no idea what each school is best at. I am about to embark on a shitload of googling to answer these questions, but I bet some of y'all have already done this and I was hoping you could share your results.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Is there a "rule of thumb" for pricing contractual work? I just placed my first bid ever and I'm curious how reasonable/outrageous it was. It was for a pretty simple microcontroller-based prototype for one of my coworker's pet projects.