Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

This is a neat thread. I'm doing my senior design project right now, and we're making something that might interest you guys. Basically, we're making wireless data repeaters. The idea is that you'll have a bunch of identical little boxes. You connect an ipod to one of them, and speakers to the rest. They'll build a mesh network and disseminate the data from the original broadcaster to each other device. If you want more info, check out our blog: http://repeaterproject.blogspot.com/

We spent fall quarter doing research, ordering parts, and writing our design document. This quarter, we have until March 14th to build everything. I'm hoping to get some pictures up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

CE is Civil Engineering, CompE/CmpE is Computer Engineering, EECE is Electrical and Computer Engineering (usually in the same department but different majors).

Honestly, the names of the various majors and their abbreviations vary a lot from school to school.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Hillridge posted:

I can see that maybe working if the whole moving assembly is massless.

Here's something that may not be all that useful, but it is interesting:

LEDs work in both directions. If you take two identical LEDs and power one of them then hold the other one next to the lit one, a small current will be induced on the unlit LED. Try it out.

You do realize that solar cells are just diodes, right?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I would recommend an AVR Butterfly. It's about $20, it has an ATMega 169P, an LCD, a little joystick, and a buzzer. You can connect it directly to a PC's serial port for programming it using AVR Studio, so you don't need to buy a programmer. Later on you might feel a bit limited by a Butterfly, but it's great for playing around at first.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

SecretFire posted:

I had to do some soldering earlier today, and every time I picked up the iron my hand was shaking like I'd developed a case of intermittent acute Parkinson's disease. Breathing out seemed to help, but does anyone have any other tips?

I've heard that it helps if you rest part of your arm or hand on the table.

zeroprime posted:

I want to play with microcontollers. Looking around there are a lot of kits and such, but I really have no clue where to start. It's been four years since I've either programmed anything in C or BASIC and done any kind of college coursework with circuits (first year physics). What's a good starting point? Could I just order a pre-built Arduino and protoshield and dive in with tutorials and such provided on the net, or should I find a commercial kit like the BoE-Bot where it has directed guides that guide you toward an end product?

There's no way we can know what you know, but my guess is that you'd probably be fine with an Arduino. There are usually tutorials targeted at people with little experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

mtwieg posted:

It's also inherently more efficient than compiling from higher languages.

No, not really. A compiler is generally smarter than all but the most geniuslike of programmers. Programming in assembly is also much, much slower than using a high level language.