Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm about to make Futurlec richer and need some advice.

I know people say it about the waiting times on futurelec, but honestly, i've had an order in since November 28th and i'm still waiting on a common item (piezo buzzers?). I emailed them and got an answer the first two times, but they haven't bothered responding to any more. I needed the parts for school but i ended up just ordering from Jameco and they got here in two days, everything was alright except no ceramic caps, an extra bag of switches (mostly dip switches), the "pot assortment" is all trimmer pots, and resistor assortments that were either 470k or 6.8ohm.

Anyone know a company that doesn't gently caress up constantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

clredwolf posted:

Jameco grab bags are amazingly good deals. My only beef is that they tend to leave out some useful stuff from them. For example, my resistor bag has not a single resistor above 800k (although I have some 1Mohm resistors around).

Their 7400-series bag also has some pretty worthless chips in it, although they gave me an insane amount of 8-bit registers (so I can't complain too much). Seriously though, I wanted to open that bag and find a 74181 in there. Or twelve.

Also, if you're still looking for a solder station, Digikey sells some nice ones.

edit: Seriously, I just counted 9 646s. What the heck am I going to do with that many?

My pack of linear ics had 11 apple II sound chips. I wish i knew how to use them. I also got 26 hex inverters which make easy oscillators.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Finally got my Futurlec stuff. The Linear IC grab bags had alot of common ics (alot of voltage regulators though) , but all the grab bags are organized and labeled into smaller baggies. Cool, I hate sorting stuff!

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

mtwieg posted:

I was thinking about making a series of posts each constituting a lesson or two on common circuits and techniques, eventually culminating in combining them into something cool. I had three different things in mind:

DIY switching power supply, which would cover the following:
Comparators and hysteresis
Relaxation oscillators
Voltage controlled PWM
Switching supply theory
Voltage references
Error amplification
Closed feedback loops

DIY DC motor speed controller:
Pretty much the same as above, except replace Switching supply theory with H-bridge theory

DIY linear regulators:
Zener diodes
Transistor lesson
Voltage references
Error amplifiers
Closed feedback

Reply if you're interested in this. I'd rather not start on such an endeavor unless there is some demand.

Yes! Can you do pwm or how to control a motor? I tried hooking up a pwm circuit to a motor but all it did was flip back and forth, rather then moving in one direction.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

mtwieg posted:

In the interest of giving this thread another jolt, I'm considering giving another series of lessons/tutorials. If you didn't catch my first one on switching power supplies, it starts on page 12 and goes until page 15. As far as subjects go, I have a few ideas:

1. Resonance oscillators (would be pretty technical)
2. Signal filters, effects (like stuff you'd use in audio to make effects and stuff. Somewhat technical)
3. Transistor circuits, like amplifiers and voltage regulators. Tons of possibilities. Not very math intensive, but a little "deep")
4. Eagle Cad tutorial for people wanting to make their own custom printed circuit boards. Not technical really.
5. Something microcontroller related. My experience is with AVRs, which are pretty user friendly. It would be pretty technical.

If anyone has any other ideas, shout out. I'll decide which on to do based on indicated interest from you guys.

The effects or resonance one would be good. The effects one could gain some ML interest too, as there's people asking about effects a lot there. Musicians should know what's going on in those little boxes!