Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RegonaldPointdexter
Mar 13, 2006

Hey guys what's going on?

Cuw posted:

Here is my current plan, I am going to use a ATMEGA16 to control a big ole grid of LEDs. My plan was to make an addressing scheme similar to how RAM is access with a column address and a row address and divide the memory into that, maybe have the column be ground and the row's be hot. When the address is hit the LED will then turn on! Voila easy as pie. The issue with this is I need tons and tons of address lines, unless I multiplex the lines but then speed becomes an issue. How would be the best way of doing this? Am I completely over complicating this because if I am please tell me.

Usually, matrix multiplexing is the way to go when controlling an LED array. With an ATMEGA16, speed shouldn't be a problem at all.
How big is your LED array?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RegonaldPointdexter
Mar 13, 2006

Hey guys what's going on?

ante posted:

Ok, what are these called, and where can I get/make a custom one?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Those are called FFC (Flat Flex Cable). They are really hard to get in small quantities. If you're a hobbyist, forget about getting a custom one.

I needed to replace a broken FFC in a barcode scanner some time ago and got it from some guy who was selling them on eBay.