Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Here is a question for this thread. Does anyone here do marketing for etsy sellers? I have a store, I make cool stuff, I just hate marketing myself. I need someone to help me put together my store in a presentable way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

mds2 posted:

Here is a question for this thread. Does anyone here do marketing for etsy sellers? I have a store, I make cool stuff, I just hate marketing myself. I need someone to help me put together my store in a presentable way.

Someone sent me a copy of a (free) SEO PDF they had made. Now, there's a lot of changes going on at Etsy right now, so the info on store announcements and banners may not be relevant for much longer (depending on the changes that are implemented) but it was really helpful for me in terms of tags and titles and things like that. If you email me at peacelovegeeky@gmail.com I'll be happy to forward it! Also, if you haven't had a chance to join an Etsy group, that can help a lot as well. You can join groups for the type of thing you make to get advice, local teams for things like modeling and local workshops, or even just general teams that do a lot with treasuries. Just avoid the Etsy drama.

With that said, I have changed up my shop a LOT, including the name and my focus--I'm here. I'm going more towards larger art pieces (I crochet) and moving towards using a lot more natural fibers. Which sounds all Etsy-appropriate, until I admit that I used all of my old beads from my jewelry days with my daughter's Rainbow Loom bands and I'll be damned if those things aren't the most popular items :smith:

But this is the type of thing I do more often

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Nothing fancy. http://paulfrederiksen.etsy.com

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

mds2 posted:

What is your shop name?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Rathina posted:

What is your shop name?

Here is my shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MDSWoodworking

I've had it for maybe two years now and have sold a few items. It just needs to look more professional IMO.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I would do all sorts of graphic design work for one of those wooden iphone speakers. Portfolio and contact info is at nate.48twenty.com.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
So the name we've chosen for our physical store it turned out had already been taken on Etsy. However, the shop opened in 2008, has one sale and has been inactive since. I emailed the owner who has graciously given us the shop, she's already changed the email to my address and told us the password so we can completely take over, which is awesome.

I'm just not super familiar with Etsy from a selling perspective, is there any reason this might turn out poorly down the line? Any specific precautions I should be taking?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've decided to take my Baby viking costumes to a craft show. It consists of three separate pieces - a vest, a hat, and a toy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep those items together in the display area? It's not a booth show; every entrant's items are tabled by category and the entrants only work shifts for part of the shows so I won't have direct control after I bring the items.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've decided to take my Baby viking costumes to a craft show. It consists of three separate pieces - a vest, a hat, and a toy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep those items together in the display area? It's not a booth show; every entrant's items are tabled by category and the entrants only work shifts for part of the shows so I won't have direct control after I bring the items.

Would something like this work http://www.joann.com/quilters-basting-gun/4792792.html#q=Basting+gun&start=1 it's a needle that shoots those little plastic fasteners that retailers use to attach tags.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

Stultus Maximus posted:

What about bagging them up in a nice clear bag of some sort and then attaching a home-made label of some sort to the top that says what age it's fore as well as your shop and price information? You could leave one out on the table so people could look and touch, and then just pick up the bag that's the right size for their infant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

flutterbyblue posted:

What about bagging them up in a nice clear bag of some sort and then attaching a home-made label of some sort to the top that says what age it's fore as well as your shop and price information? You could leave one out on the table so people could look and touch, and then just pick up the bag that's the right size for their infant.

Do you know where they sell bags like that?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm not sure if they'd have bags big enough for you, but I've purchased the clear art archival bags from the art/paint section in Hobby Lobby to hold product before, like this but smaller. They're nice since they're resealable. Or you might try looking on amazon. I found these but I'm not sure they'd be big enough. If you search "large clear plastic bag" a lot comes up though.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Might look on Etsy as well for cello bags. I use these from papermart that come in a huge amount of sizes http://www.papermart.com/lip-n-tape-cello-polypropylene-bags/id=15038?SearchItemNumber=7585008 however before I could afford to buy 500 at a time of a size I needed, I had found them on Etsy people selling for a quantity of 50 or so, might see if that is an option.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
can also try poly-bags from ULine if you need a lot (most come in cartons of 1000 )they have an absurd selection of sizes

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Hey Stultus Maximus - I see you have bishop's miters in your shop. I recently got a commission to make a bishop's outfit for a stuffed animal. Have any tips on putting the hat together, or a free pattern you could point me at?

Chezlin
Jun 2, 2005
Mista' Ewok.
I closed my etsy store to open up a shop over on storenvy: http://chezlin.storenvy.com/ (I hope that's okay to post a non-etsy store. Let me know if it's not and I'll remove it.) I make silver and copper jewelry. I'm also currently running a promotion for this month - 10% off any purchase with the code "sept2014"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chezlin posted:

I closed my etsy store to open up a shop over on storenvy: http://chezlin.storenvy.com/ (I hope that's okay to post a non-etsy store. Let me know if it's not and I'll remove it.) I make silver and copper jewelry. I'm also currently running a promotion for this month - 10% off any purchase with the code "sept2014"

I'm curious why you swapped over - do they take a smaller cut or something?

Chezlin
Jun 2, 2005
Mista' Ewok.

Tunicate posted:

I'm curious why you swapped over - do they take a smaller cut or something?

It's pretty much completely free to use. There are add on things you can do that cost money, like if you want a custom domain name or special coupons(ones that expire, free shipping, buy one get one free, etc.) Your store website is completely customizable. Paypal is the current payment processor but they're adding Stripe soon which will make the checkout process integrated allowing customers to checkout without being taken off the site.

Chezlin fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 11, 2014

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Chezlin posted:

It's pretty much completely free to use. There are add on things you can do that cost money, like if you want a custom domain name or special coupons(ones that expire, free shipping, buy one get one free, etc.) Your store website is completely customizable. Paypal is the current payment processor but they're adding Stripe soon which will make the checkout process integrated allowing customers to checkout without being taken off the site.

Let us know how it goes. I'm always interested in researching new venues. Currently I'm messing around with Houzz & 11main, so I don't really want to experiment with something else till I drop one of those since I am so swamped with Etsy and the holidays are approaching.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Speaking of other venues, has anyone heard of/tried out bitDazzle? I keep getting spammed on etsy (which makes me disinclined to check them out) but their idea of taking bitcoin was interesting.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

flutterbyblue posted:

Speaking of other venues, has anyone heard of/tried out bitDazzle? I keep getting spammed on etsy (which makes me disinclined to check them out) but their idea of taking bitcoin was interesting.

I didn't like that I would have to give them banking information. I told them to contact me if they ever started accepting paypal to pay for fees or set up an account or whatever it is. Now I use my banking information with 11main, and with Houzz, but I feel like they are larger more reputable companies then some startup no history company.

I haven't really heard much about ibubbi or opensky...they are on my "look into" list, because I don't want to spread myself to thin and get to confusing...if Houzz, or 11main doesn't workout I'll select another from my backup list to play with, probably at this point looking like I'd go with storeenvy. Zazzle was also supposed to start up some marketplace, and I did a bunch of communication with them, but it seems to be a low priority for the company and every time I contact them with asking for an update, I keep getting told to wait another month or two while they "work out the kinks"....of course it's been 10 months of waiting...so Zazzle may never pan out at all.

Zibbet/Artfire/Craftstar have all been giant fails for me....no sales at all. If I'm not getting sales, there is no point. So far with 11 main, I've had 1 sale, and with Houzz I've had 6...just to throw into perspective, with Etsy I get about 150 sales a month. My current method of testing waters is pretty much throw up my top 15 selling items from Etsy and take it from there.

At this point I have had no intentions of leaving Etsy (Or setting up my own website), I'm spoiled by all the tools for Etsy (built in shipping, stats, easy access to records for tax purposes, etc), so not only would I need to be making 100+ sales on another venue to even think about leaving, that other venue would also have to have all the tools I have on Etsy. But it's still fun to play around with other websites just to check them out.

What I do have though is a large amount of inventory (probably about 300 light switch covers) that some of which I've been sitting on for 5 years, and they've just never sold on Etsy...the point where I've even gotten rid of the supplies to make any more of them, and I'm tired of spending money to list them for $6 (normal prices are $12)...so if I was to find a 2nd website where I would have no upfront fee's, it would be nice to get a lot of the inventory out of my Etsy shop where it isn't selling anyway, to at least have my Etsy shop look less cluttered (Over 700 light switch covers in there right now) and get some sort of return on my time (and some storage space).

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the info! I doubt I'll ever be large enough to warrant a second shop front, but it's good to know some starting points if I find I need to branch out or flee for the hills at some time in the future. That's a really good point about the light switch covers that you're sitting on though. It'd be awesome to have a cheaper alternative for things that aren't really moving.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Am I alone in noticing that the made-in-china dropshipping has increased exponentially recently, to the point where it's become painfully tedious to browse certain categories? I've been noticing it mostly in clothing and in supplies, but it's getting quite frustrating to use the site as a buyer unless I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Rime posted:

Am I alone in noticing that the made-in-china dropshipping has increased exponentially recently, to the point where it's become painfully tedious to browse certain categories? I've been noticing it mostly in clothing and in supplies, but it's getting quite frustrating to use the site as a buyer unless I know exactly what I'm looking for.

It's been that way for awhile, for a couple of years at least, if you follow any of the 'Etsy Politics' at all in the forums, if anything it's just going to get worse as Etsy has created new rules, and turns a blind eye in some cases. There are no rules against selling supplies (which in the end, it all comes from China anyway whether you bought it at JoAnn's Crafts or Etsy). It makes them lots of money, so you can see why they 'allow' it to happen.

I honestly don't think many people actually browse on Etsy anymore. I think most people who come into Etsy come in directly to someone's shop, and not to Etsy's main page, or they have a general idea of what they want and just use Search.

From all the changes recently (Browse, Front Page, Etc), I'm thinking that any page on Etsy that isn't someone's shop page gets extremely low amounts of traffic, which is why they are trying to get more traffic to all these pages with all these changes they have promoted recently.

They kind of want to be like "Target" in way, you know you show up to Target to buy one thing, before you know it you have walked out of Target spending $100 with a cart full of stuff you really didn't need. That's the whole idea of Browsing, you might buy something you wouldn't normally buy, but while that works for Target, that really doesn't work for Etsy.

Most people know what they want, find it quickly, get it and get out...more along the lines of browsing at a video store. You go in, get the DVD you want, you may or may not take a look around the rest of the store, rent another dvd, buy some candy (for Etsy that would be browsing the same shop, maybe buying 2 handmade hair clips and a scrunchie instead of just a hairclip), but chances are if you came for a DVD, you are not going to run into the shoe shop next door and buy a pair of high heels. Same for Etsy, you came in to buy a halloween hair clip for your daughter (maybe you buy a cute butterfly hairclip as well), but you are probably not interested in buying a halloween handpainted shot glass from the next store because it's a "similar item of interest". Browse just doesn't really work like that at all.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I need a new chest freezer. Lowes won't barter for hair accessories. Therefore I am having a sale! mountainmusings.etsy.com, coupon code SteakandPotatoes.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Hey guys! So it's been ages since I closed my Etsy shop (2010) but I recently got a lovely email from a customer who was hoping to place a custom knit order. I can't do it cause of my wrists among other things, and I'm hoping someone in here might be able to take it.

This is (I think) the base of the original order: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/11933104

This is what he sent:

quote:

Back in 2008 I purchased from you two little hearts in a container for the only woman I have ever loved. Due to unfortunate family circumstances, we parted ways two years later. However, five years later we found each other in a matter of serendipity, and have been dating and falling in love all over again. I nearly cried when i found that she still has all the letters I had written her in college, and along with them, the hearts I bought from you. I hope you get this message, and I hope you're still making your crafts. Id also love to purchase another box from you, but I want it to overflow this time. Having her back in my life has given me new breath in my lungs, and I hope to shower her in love and adoration moreso this time around. If there's any way you can help me make that happen, you'd make me a very happy man.

As you can tell, this is completely awesome and I want to help make this happen. Normally I'd browse and pick one of you guys to PM and ask privately, and I feel terrible that I haven't kept up with this thread or who's currently active at all, but life is pretty crazy for me and I really don't have time to go back and read everything.

I can provide the PDF pattern for how to make the full-sized kind and will be available if there are any questions. PLEASE tell me one of you is willing/can take this up. I can PM his email (he said that'd be fine) or link him directly to a storefront.

Thank you! :sparkles:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

That is awesome and I hope one of the knitters here can take it up. I would but I'm kind of balls at knitting compared to the shop owners who specialize in it.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

So around this time last year, we started talking about the SA-Mart thread.

I think the $10 getting you a listing in the thread with your info and banner worked really well last year, and while I'm not sure about running the thread again, I would definitely throw in $10.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^ Agreed!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Still looking for someone to pick up the knit hearts order. I'm not looking for a finder's fee or anything, if anyone's wondering.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Very early days for me
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmicusGoods
I hand make canvas bags and soon I'll be putting up some felted wool camera straps that I'm weaving.
I'm waiting on some woven tags I ordered.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Solenna posted:

I think the $10 getting you a listing in the thread with your info and banner worked really well last year, and while I'm not sure about running the thread again, I would definitely throw in $10.

Ditto. I'm actually up and running enough to participate this year!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Oh my gaaaawd why won't etsy let us list quantities by variable it doesn't make any sense. I have this one type of shirt I want to sell. I would sell it in about 20 different jersey knits that I hunted everywhere for. They are gorgeous fabrics and part of the appeal is once they are gone they are gone so you are getting something unique, most of them were end of batch. Some of the fabrics I can make twenty shirts some I can make one. It's so frustrating to either have to take pictures of each individual shirt color (meaning instead of two shirts I can only offer one in some cases) and set up individual listings for 20 different colored shirts that are pretty much all the same or just have the quantity set to two and have one listing. What if someone wants three shirts. It seems like such a silly feature not to offer. If we can customize the price why can't we customize the quantity.

And after that rant and on a wonderfully happy note I am thrilled that I have finally gotten my store back up almost in time for the start of fall. So close. You all may recognize my store as the leggings place which I will still be carrying a lot of them, spandex is my fav thing, but I am really starting to just adore drapey and big warm clothes even though I live in the desert. I really like the desert nomadic influence.

Anyway! Here are some examples of what I am carrying:

And here is my store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SexismIsOver?ref=hdr_shop_menu

I am really happy to get it back up and running again, I didn't realize how much I missed it until I took it out of vacation mode today.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
You can buy some of my girlfriend's things:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LovelyRustic

She also has an instagram account which has a ton of pictures of her jewelry and has a bunch of deals. Also pictures of the dog. He's cute.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Queen Elizatits posted:

You all may recognize my store as the leggings place which I will still be carrying a lot of them, spandex is my fav thing, but I am really starting to just adore drapey and big warm clothes even though I live in the desert. I really like the desert nomadic influence.

Your drapey stuff makes me wish I didn't look like the actual manifestation of a pear when I wear drapey things :(. They're so pretty! I'll definitely have to come back for some leggings after the holidays tough as those work for me and yours are in such unique colors.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
Has any of you had any experience with changing the name of your Etsy shop? I changed the name of mine several weeks ago because I wanted a new look and fresh start but I'm having a hard time getting my stuff to show up on Google or Etsy. I had to go add my shop name (Ice Cream Breakfast) as tags to all of my items but that seems a bit dumb. What bothers me the most is that my old shop name is #1-7 on Google if you search for it. I've already made up new business cards and its a bit embarrassing to tell people that the best way to find me is to search my old name!

Obligatory pimping of my shop

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 7, 2014

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Just opened a little online shop on Etsy. Thought it would be a bit more professional than just having a tumblr page that says 'shop'. Hopefully etsy is still a thing.

Moriarty Made

Right now I just have two things up. I plan on putting up some original work (not digitally printed). Do people have more success moving unique pieces than the mass produced ones?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Finally got a batch finished!

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Solenna posted:

I am absolutely in again. Goons are great customers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
They really are. I did an SA Mart thread a couple years ago around the holidays and it was a blast. I actually just posted another thread right before I saw this but I think I'll participate anyway!