Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
So I finally added a few (two!) items to start my Etsy shop: http://nrapture.etsy.com

I'm specializing in cross stitch that is in no way cutesy kittens, rainbows or crosses yet doesn't require 100 different colors to complete. I haven't seen anyone else with quite the same idea so I'm hoping there is some interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

tony danzas ho posted:

Question for anyone that makes art things and sells them on this site, specifically things like paintings: Is it worth it? Do you actually turn a profit and feel like the time you put into setting up the shop/shipping things out/etc is made up for by the money you make?

Or is it more of a "I love my craft and I do it because it brings me pleasure" type of deal

I know it's been a while this was posted, but I've just been figuring this out myself. Yes, some people make money. However, those people generally treat it as a business that they spend quite a bit of time promoting. Posting in etsy's forums, maintaining a blog, developing a myspace, facebook and flickr page. Some run their own website and handle all sales through etsy. In other words, success seems to take a bit of time up.

Is it worth it? Well, it would probably depend on the person. If you want to sell artwork for a living or to supplement your income, etsy could help and the promotion you do would help sales through any location including a gallery. If you just enjoy painting and mainly give away your works to family/friends without any hope of making it a career, then the time needed to promote may be too much committment for you.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Rathina, I know what you mean. I've even been neglecting SA to some extent. Oooo, owl light switch plate. Grandma is all about owls.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Mmmm... those look so delicious.

I'm not entirely sure what Etsy street teams do (other than work to promote the group), but I'd be interested in learning more if there was an SA one. http://nrapture.etsy.com I sell cross stitch patterns for non-traditional images like:

and

and

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I like the banner. Personally, I like teamgoon for the tags, but I think most other teams I've seen use their acronyms.

Was Etsy Goon Squad going to have dues? I don't think I'd mind a reasonable amount if we were going to use it for advertising or something similar. Also, it could return the cost of the banner to Mrs. Orgasmo.

edit: gently caress. I looked away from the main Treasury for a second and it's full again. In the meantime, does anyone have the link for the website that you can prebuild a treasury?

Nrapture fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2008

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
All my items are tagged. Yay!

Hmmm... stickers. Did we get a nice address for our team, like etsygoonsquad.etsy.com or something?

I don't have my store on flickr yet. It's on my list of things to do. v:)v

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I missed the main treasury, but snagged a treasury west just a few minutes ago.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=10174

Comments, suggestions, switches? Let me know.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That's horrible. If you say who it is, I will go <:mad:> at their shop. If they are an established seller and this is the first time they are offering it, I'd definitely say it was a copy. Still, holy crap there is a lot of soap on Etsy.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

altazakin posted:

I'm wary to really call out the seller, I don't want a goon rush or anything, hahah :D

The person is very established, and just recently I started seriously outselling him. This is the first time he offered the soap, and the style, concept and photography are ripoffs of my soap, that has sold for a few months now.

I understand and I think I figured out who it is. I'm going to frown at the shop now. Perhaps I'll through a bit of :arghfist: in too.

As an aside, is it possible for you to create a set of sampler soaps about 1/4 of the size of your standard sizes?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That's part of the problem. I have no idea what scents I might like. I can't go into the standard bath store because 100 different odors at once is not pleasing to me.

So if you get inquiries like this from time to time, I can just wait and purchase parts of the same soaps the other person asks for.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

I havn't bought a soap from her that I don't like!

I just spotted the cinnamon! It's one of the few scents I know I like - I just couldn't pass it up!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I just snagged a main treasury for us: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=45477

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks for the kind treasury comments!

The website looks great! Are the minis that are posted a snapshot in time or will they update as our shops update?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Not that Savor soaps need my personal stamp of approval, but goddamn. I bought them thinking they'd probably be nice soaps for the guest bathroom. They arrived yesterday; I tried the aloe vera one today. Screw the guests. I'm using all of them myself! Babies would be jealous of my soft skin. altazakin, you work magic with soap. I already feel like a soap junkie thinking "I wonder when I can order more? I wonder how many I can get before the SO notices them? Hee hee hee."

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I hope I was able to put some minds at ease for that evening at least. I never worked as a lobbyist or campaign strategist so it's taken me a bit longer to come up with some ideas of what to do rather than what not to expend too much time over.

My unsolicited advice:
1. Write to the committee directly. The individual Representatives only have to care about their own constituents; the committee represents all.
2. I'm going to guess that the majority of the people who create and sell handcrafted soap and other B&B products are women. How many self-employed women would be put out of business by this? Small business and women's rights groups might be interested in this issue if they were made aware of it.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I thought both websites looked very nice, but Dominoes' link is no longer active.

Carrot Cake, if you sort the main treasury by expiration (where lists that expire soon are at the end), go to page 17 and look at about the center of the page, that will tell you about when the treasury will open up. Right now, the treasury will open in about 8 hours.

altazakin, your ad looked very nice. I keep wondering if it would be worth it for me to get one. Right now though, I booked a main showcase slot to try and gain some exposure. I hope it's worth the $15.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Rathina posted:

SA Name Etsy Shop
? http://www.claibornescookies.etsy.com

According to this thread, that's Miskuh.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That's fantastic Rathina!

I made the mistake of browsing the Plants and Edibles category. Curses to all of you cookie/cupcake/fudge/etc. makers. :arghfist::(

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
The treasury looks fabulous Rathina! Too bad it expires before I go back to work or I could give it another 12 clicks.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Veila, your banner looks great! I can't wait to see your items!

------------Unrelated unhappiness below------------------------------

On my own front, I learned today why it's not always a good thing to Google one's shop name. There are apparently people out there who think I just import an image into the software and call it a day. I spend hours reducing the color count and correcting artifacts the software created in each pattern.

10-20 colors in an 80 sq in work is a lot? I don't think so. Most of the other designers on Etsy don't say how many colors. Out of those that do, 40-80 different colors is not unusual (if it's not a stencil type pattern using a single color).

I know my work won't please everyone, but this is the first time it's gotten back to me. It hurts and I needed to share with someone. :(

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks guys. I was just so happy when I saw that someone had randomly blogged about my shop, then the bubble burst. Veila, the comments were off-Etsy, so I doubt if they were Etsy sellers. For the most part, everyone I've come across on Etsy are pleasant and passionate about their craft. I think the commenters found me through my recent PW ad, since the ad started the same day.

I don't understand how anyone could look at your soaps and say that you haven't worked hard to create them, altazakin. They are works of art and smell divinely. Speaking of which, a lovely piece of pale peach-colored soap found it's way into my package (thank you very much by the way). I think I would like to pick up a bar in my next purchase, but I have no idea what to order. The scent is pleasant without being overpowering. Do you happen to know which scent it is from my color description?

I don't have a steady enough stream of sales to notice a specific slowdown there, but without my newest PW ad, I wouldn't be getting many views. It's like everyone went on vacation and forgot to tell us.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I browse Etsy's forums from time to time. I agree there is a lot of naivety there. Just today there was questions about what STFU stood for. I try to remind myself that many older people post in the Etsy forums. I did stop looking at the forums there last week for a bit since every thread seemed to be about "my views are back".

Sometimes I wonder if some sellers don't use post threads just for publicity. I see a lot of the same names as the OP of threads.

Yay mango! That's definitely it. It's on my to order list now! Thanks!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That is a great tool (when I remember it's there). I just planned out a new treasury using the poster sketch. I'm hoping to snag one when the main treasury opens in a couple of hours.

Edit: And I got one! http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=52841

Nrapture fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 27, 2008

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I'm on Etsy now. I haven't noticed a problem with the site in the last couple of days.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

altazakin posted:

I uploaded a new product tonight and I want to eat it.

But it's kinda hard to take a picture of whipped chocolate and make sure it doens't look like poop :(

I want to eat it too. It looks like chocolate mousse or perhaps chocolate whipped cream. Mmmmmm..... If it was in a dessert goblet with a spoon in it, I would be absolutely positive that it was edible.

I don't have anything with ad space either, but I would also be interested in advertising on goon run pages. WaffleImages just dumped PW and picked up GoogleAds.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

poeticoddity posted:

Okay, this is driving me nuts. I can't get on it from home, the lab computers on campus, or the common computers on campus. My roommate can't get on it from his computer, and neither can one of my neighbors.

OK. I went into the Etsy thread altazakin linked to. Here is the relevant post:

quote:

Rokali says:
Hi everyone,

As people here have seen, this is a DNS issue. Anytime any changes to DNS are made, those changes have to propagate to servers around the world. This can take a bit of time.

We're in the process of migrating from one data center to another (larger) data center. As part of this migration, we moved our DNS servers. This means they got a new IP address. (There are always at least two DNS servers, for redundancy, so it's multiple IP addresses, and we set Primary, Secondary, Tertiary etc. status for each of them).

It's these new IP addresses that needs to propagate. Being well aware of this, we kept our old DNS servers up & running, so as the new IP addresses propagated, even if people still hit the old IP addresses, it would work.

This did work, but we recently discovered an edge case, which causes problems. This edge case is a good example of how intertwined the Web is.

In order for Etsy not to be loading for you, the following three ingredients need to be in the recipe of how you connect to the site:

1. Your internet service provider (ISP) has been slow to update its own DNS servers (this happens daily for almost all ISPs), and hasn't recognized the new IP addresses of our DNS servers

2. You're hitting the secondary DNS server at our old data center

3. You're getting a specific type of error message from this DNS server, due to how your request has been routed (what "hops" it's taking)

*Then* you have problems accessing Etsy.

We have made special changes to how the secondary DNS server handles these requests, and we expect this to resolve the issue. It might still take a bit of time, because the fix needs to propagate out to the rest of the world.

In an ideal world, our changes would propagate out to all the DNS servers in the amount of time they're supposed to (1-2 days). Alas, some ISPs take their time, and for that ~1% it can take more like 5 days.

As some people here have noted, you can manually change what DNS servers you use on your computer, but in general this isn't something we'd recommend. It can slow down accessing other sites on the Web.

Of course please keep letting us know here if any of the issues persist.

Footnote: What is an IP address? It's a numerical locator, that gets mapped to a domain name. For example, https://www.etsy.com is also 72.37.157.20 -- you can copy that string into your Web browser and use it to visit this site. (Your browser might try and force you to use the domain name though.)

Back when the Web first started, there weren't domain names, there were only IP addresses. But these were really hard to remember, hence the need for domain names.

A DNS server is what connects the domain name (https://www.etsy.com) to the IP address (72.37.157.20), approximately speaking. There are master lists on DNS servers around the world, and anytime a domain name points to a different IP, these servers need to update what domain points to what IP address.

Disclaimer: This explanation is oversimplified, and I'm not a system administrator. This is what I've learned from reading up on the issue, and getting some input from Etsy's own sys admins, who have been amazingly busy keep the site up & fast. They're doing a great job.

If you *really* want to learn more, there's always Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

Some people have had success by changing:
preferred DNS server to 208.067.222.222
perferred DNS server to 208.067.220.220

I don't know enough about this to recommend if it's a good idea or not. Etsy obviously won't comment about changing this on people's computers because they can't provide support if it screws over someone's system.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Fantastic treasury! I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the front page. And I found a new favorite - pinkquartzminerals. So thanks!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Welcome back Mrs. Orgasmo! I hope you're feeling better.

Unfortunately since most of my shop is digital files sent by email, I'll have to pass on the stickers for now. But if you have any ideas about what I can send through email to my customers, I would be very interested.

Also since I do everything with electronic files, my picture taking abilities are lacking. This has become an issue as I was contacted today about sending an image for possible inclusion in a magazine. Can someone take a look at this image and tell me if I'm going to make a fool out of myself if I submit it for publication?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Veila posted:

Alright so I have a few bags up in a patterned fabric that I thought would be well liked and sellable, though it doesnt seem that way these days. So now I would like some input. Any suggestions on likable patterns or colors.

I like the clock fabric too. And I agree that Amy Butler fabric is everywhere right now.

I know you didn't specifically ask for this, but maybe including the dimensions of the bags and straps would be helpful to a potential buyer. For example, I don't own a 17" laptop so other than knowing that one dimension is at least 17", it doesn't help me gauge if the messenger bag is going to be a size I would be interested in.

Pile of Kittens posted:

How well does hand-dyed yarn sell? I adore dying, and it's super easy. I really only sew or knit one of whatever idea I have, because I find it somehow more tedious than dying or spinning.

Many sellers seem to do very well with hand-dyed yarn. I have several yarn sellers in my favorites.

I've noticed that yarns in sock weights tend to be more prevelent than other weights. Whether this is because they sell better or something else, I don't know. Since I'm still new to knitting, I don't have a whole lot of use for sock yarn yet so I peruse DK, worsted, aran and chunky mostly.

There's truth to yarn addiction. I'm only 6 months into knitting and I already have a stash full of yarn purchased from both on and off Etsy. :)

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I peek over at Treasury West and what do I see? A spot for a title. So under the ever clever "No Title", we have a treasury: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=15405

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I snagged us a main treasury here: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=55150

Mrs. Orgasmo found it already as evidenced by her comment, but if anyone clicked/commented can you go back and do it again? There was another treasury problem and items, clicks and comments were eaten. :(

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
You're welcome RepoRebo! (I popped your treasury cherry! Hee hee!) I'm sure you will be in many more, both Goon Squad and non-Goon Squad!

On a totally different note, has anyone noticed the Etsy forums have been a total shitfeast today? Several threads I've been following have been closed for personal attacks in them. It's really odd to me to have so many on one day. One thread went downhill pretty quick, recovered, then new people showed up and it slid back into the abyss.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Didn't you read the fine print? It most clearly says that once you get X sales (arbitrarily determined by the mob), you must slink off to the side never to sell on Etsy again. ;)

That thread was a total trainwreck. The best line I saw was from SeeJayneKnitYarns. "Gimme yarn." That sums it up for me from a buying standpoint. You have what I want and are willing to sell it to me for a fair price. Gimme.

The shipping thread is pretty interesting. I got to about page 7 and decided I needed to mark it for later. I did get sidetracked by your flickr. Will mulled cider be making a return appearance later this year?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Great treasury pixel8ed! You did much better on your first than I did on mine. :)

There are definitely a few posters in the Etsy forums who subscribe to the more is better theory. Lots of posting = lots of promotion and they don't have anything to say. It's one thing to post a lot and contribute or even mark a thread from time to time, but some go way beyond that. Even in the short time I've been on Etsy, I've noticed those types of posters come and go. I feel spoiled by SA forums where 'great' is not a reply.

Fake edit: How did you all read my mind?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Congratulations! Happy Birthday too! :)

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

RepoRebo posted:

I wonder, is there any way to know who has the all-time highest sales on Etsy? I'm curious about just how high that number can go, as well as what would be the best-selling item.

Welcome to Etsy Wiki, where all your questions have answers. Or at least the best information I am aware of. It is not perfectly accurate. For example, it shows savor as having 5000 sales in the "Top Sellers" section but in the "Top Sellers - Handmade" savor only shows 4000 sales right now.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
"No idea but here's a bump." :commissar:

No, I really do have a reason to post. I got us a new treasury! http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=57021

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

pixel8ed posted:

I'm off to a craft show tomorrow and I hate having to deactivate everything. I hope I have nothing left to reactivate tomorrow evening!

How was the show?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry it didn't go better. I don't really have a show-type product so I haven't done one, but that would be one of my fears the night before a show that would keep me up to all hours.

I do have a general if-anyone-is-looking-to-advertise-to-the-geek-girl-audience idea: http://www.projectwonderful.com/advertisehere.php?id=2190 I've been advertising there for about a month and generally $1.00 max bid has me displayed. Average unique clicks have been about 30-40/day for me. I can't be sure since Etsy doesn't track how buyers find shops, but I'm fairly certain I've had a sale or two from it. Now I know that doesn't sound spectacular, but my products have a relatively small niche. I'd guess that someone else who sells finished crafts/art with a slightly wider audience would see more sales. Anyway, just in case anyone was looking for an advertising opportunity, there's one idea.

Right now, I'm waiting for the price to drop on the Craftster.org spots so my new ad can get in. *crosses fingers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Wow! So much has been going on while work was making me... well, work. Curses on you work!

My powers of deduction tells me that thecropchick has no friends other than Google. Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't bring up this thread for her too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1295591 NWS BWAHAHAHA!!! It's an FYAD goldmined thread with Klingon nudity. FYAD apparently has its use on occasion for the rest of us. Heh heh.

Moving on, pixel8ed, your new photos look fantastic! I still need to make mine. Ok, maybe I still need to purchase everything to make it.

awapplesauce, your BFFs look great! I love the little pigs. :3: