Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I'm an Etsy addict. I buy a lot of stuff from there and have yet to be disappointed! I started my own shop at the end of October. You can find it here: http://www.pixel8ed.etsy.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Shipping is added in as a separate cost. When you're listing your item you'll go through a bunch of screens, one that asks you for the description, one to tag your item, one to set the price which will include separate spots for your shipping, one for pictures as well.

You'll want to figure out your shipping costs on an item prior to listing it. You can list by specific country too, so your US shipping price can be different than your Canadian shipping price which can be different from your Australian shipping price, etc, etc. Some sellers decide not to ship internationally, but if you really want to cater to everyone you should consider it.

Other than that the place is a little like Ebay. You might want to consider buying a couple of lower priced items to get yourself some feedback to get started with. Post in their forums in order to get your name out there a little. Browse and add shops to your favorites and they might return the favour.

You get paid however you would like. You can take cheque, money order... Most however do Paypal since it's pretty instant. Well, instant for the buyer. As a seller I have to wait days to get money out of Paypal and into my bank account but it's only a minor inconvenience.

Good luck with your shop when you do open!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Her soaps are amazing! I got one during SASS and I placed another order last week. They look amazing, smell even better and they're a great quality soap. I think she's out of town though due to a family emergency, but not for too long.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I think most things I've looked at are fairly priced when you consider that everything is handmade. It takes a lot of money in supplies and a lot of time to create these items and I don't mind paying a little extra for that quality. Honestly, I have never bought anything from Etsy and regretted it. I've purchased bath and body items, prints, jewelery and crocheted items among other things.

Unless you're willing to put a lot of time into promotion its probably best as a hobby thing. A lot of people do a pretty good job though of supplementing their income. Some even use it as their only source of income which amazes me.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Donald Sutherland posted:

I discovered Etsy this morning thanks to this thread, and just set up my own shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5787755

I've been browsing the ones that have been posted and I'm greatly enjoying looking at other goons' creations. This is an amazing site.

Your bowls are amazing! Good luck on Etsy!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Awesome! I hadn't checked in here in a bit. I'll start tagging when I start listing new items after my renovations are done.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Love that treasury!

The site is coming along nicely too! I was just reading the forums and someone in the UK made a tiny little book to include with product she sells at fairs. It's a neat idea. Would you guys be interested in something like that? I have no problem putting it together and providing a PDF file for printing. Then it just needs to be trimmed and bound somehow (ribbon, string, staples). We could include it with new customer orders and it would get all of our shops out there.

Edited to add link: http://littlebookofetsy.blogspot.com/

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A brochure is doable. I just figured the little book would be easy to print on a home printer.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

root a toot posted:

I just registered and I'm already in love. That alchemy thing is pretty genius.

here's mine: http://lingergookas.etsy.com

Your work is amazing! Good luck on Etsy!

Alchemy is pretty awesome. I posted last night looking for bows for my new puppy and got a bunch of bids and then bought a bunch of bows. Poor thing won't know what's happening to her. I also bought a bunch of soap since I was in a shopping mood.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
When it asks for the tags (third screen I believe) you pick the first category you want and then you can type in additional tags so put the team goon tag there.

As for shipping, I have the same problem what with being in Canada, land of high shipping. I've seen people put their method of shipping in their shop announcements and say something along the lines of "Shipping rates will be adjusted and refunded accordingly depending on location". That would work I would think.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Sorry to hear you've been sick! I'd be interested in stickers for sure.

I was just looking at another team page and they have items from every seller listed on there. The way it works is that team members submit their items for sale, one person receives the email when something sells and let's the seller know. The team keeps 30% as a commission and the rest goes back to the seller. It's a good way to generate a bit of income to purchase ads and whatnot. Anyone interested in something like that?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm going to run my first Saturday Night Special tonight. I'm hoping to clear out a few things as my craft room seems to be overflowing. I really need to get to taking some pictures of newer items and get those all listed.

Have any of you taken part in this? How did it work for you?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I ended up top of page 8. I couldn't believe it went that fast. Crazy.

Anyway, no takers on the special. I think I'd try it again because I did get a lot of views and a few hearts on certain items. Maybe closer to the holidays. It's not like it cost me anything to try it so it certainly wouldn't hurt.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I posted in there a few times. I guess you really need to keep your Saturday night open so you can spend time in there. Might be a good thing to try out on those stormy winter nights. They always happen on Saturday!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Treasury West has had some sort of glitch and bunches of treasuries opened up. I took the opportunity to create my first one!
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=16451

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Seriously, I'm trying to read the Etsy forums tonight. There is one seller in particular who has added nothing to any discussion on the entire site and yet just keeps endlessly posting and I want to go through my screen and hers and stab her in the eye. Yeesh.

/End of rant.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
The one and only.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Thanks Nrapture! There were some items that I tried to add that couldn't be added for some reason. It was fun to put together though.

I'm sure eventually she'll get tired of posting. I just hope it's sooner rather than later. They really do need some more mods. Even if it's a volunteer team. Some nights it gets ridiculous.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
That is amazing! Congratulations! I was reading about how you go about your day and I honestly don't know how you do it. Do you eventually hope to make soap making your full time job?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Happy birthday to both of you!

Great treaury Nrapture! I like the new feature that they added yesterday. I clicked on a couple of items that were sold and it shows different items that are still available by the same seller at the top of the page. Before it would just have the "This sold out on..." Anyway, it looks good!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm off to a craft show tomorrow and I hate having to deactivate everything. I hope I have nothing left to reactivate tomorrow evening!

As a side note, I attached the tags that I bought from Mrs. Orgasmo and they look awesome. It really makes everything look more professional. I also got business cards and stickers so I'll sticker the brown paper bags closed with those and hand out the business cards as well. I did realize I need a business card holder. I should have made one of those.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
It was a complete flop. The show was inside, very nice location, but it was too nice outside for people to be in. I think it would be a great venue for a fall show though. In all I didn't even make enough to cover my table fee, but I did do some networking so it wasn't a complete wash.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I seriously don't understand why people feel the need to copy. It just pisses me off. Altazakin, her soaps don't look nearly as nice as yours and she doesn't ship internationally. Her shop just doesn't look all that professional.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Don't throw anything at me, but have you guys started thinking Christmas yet? I have four days off this weekend and I'm hoping the puppy will cooperate somewhat and let me get in the craft room and create things. My plan is to start taking photos and creating the listings, but not actually list yet. I'll just save them all up.

On the subject of photos I really need to work on mine. I've been looking up those create your own lightbox instructions and it seems do-able. Have either of you created your own lightbox? Did it work as well or fairly close to the type you can buy? I just don't want to plunk down the cash for it right now but I pretty much have all the stuff to make one on hand, except white fabric, but that's cheap and easy to get.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

altazakin posted:

YES -- do think of christmas now. But be careful making too much stock that is impossible to sell after christmas -- with the fees we have to pay, it's so hard to unload anything reasonably after christmas at steep discounts (like real retailers do). In other words, don't paint yourself into a corner.

I love the idea of photographing and writing listings now. Definitely going to use that idea.

I made my lightbox from this: http://jyoseph.com/blog/detail.cfm/post/18

Thanks for the link! I think I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I won't really worry about the stock too much. I only have a handful of holiday themed products planned. Other than that, anything that doesn't sell online always sells at a craft fair eventually.

I wish Etsy would save listings for you without actually listing the item. So like edit mode, but more of a draft version. This plan will work though. When it comes time to list you just copy and paste things in.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Ooo... Guys, looks like the walls have ears. I got an Etsy convo from thecropchick who apparently is pissed off that she has nothing to contribute to conversations. Seems she has some special source that shared this thread link with her. Man, how I love some good drama now and then.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Thanks! That's an awesome suggestion! I just cut all the pieces for my new lightbox and after I eat something I'm going to assemble it all and give it a try. I passed up the clip on lights for now and will try some desk lamps I have hanging around before I go out and buy some. I brought home some huge pieces of foam core tonight from work, so if this does work out I'll have spent nothing on the new light box.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I have no idea about the white balance on my camera. I went through every setting and I can't find it. I do have Photoshop though, so no worries there. I'll fix them all that way.

The drama continues with crapchick. It's getting quite heated on her end. I just think it's hilarious. The latest message from her took a dig at my shipping charges. drat Canada Post and their insane postage rates. :argh: Now you have crapchick mad at me. She also thinks we're immature for paying $10 to post here. She has me pegged.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I have an old Kodak EasyShare DX4330. Looking to upgrade soon, but not right now. Here's my first picture with the lightbox. I think it's a huge improvement over the old photos. This is just with auto correct so I'm going to do a bit more work and edit out the join in the box as well, but I'm pretty pleased with it! I guess I'll start retaking all the old photos this weekend and get those all updated. The colors are very true to life on my monitor so I'm hoping they look OK for everyone else. Maybe I'll start adding props to the photos in order to add interest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

awapplesauce posted:

I finally posted my first items! Please tell me what you think! I'm not sure the way I listed them was the most effective or clear.

https://awapplesauce.etsy.com

Those are so cute! I love your photos and I think the descriptions are great.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I don't think it is. Lots of seller do similar listings. For example sellers that have air fresheners get you to pick your own scent, purse sellers offer a sample of fabrics and you choose your own, so I think it will work pretty well. If you get a lot of questions then maybe I'd consider changing the listing, but honestly I think it will work the way it is.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

altazakin posted:

Your lighting looks fantastic! I don't think you need to hunt for any white balance setting.

To get a really seamless background, maybe pick up some watercolor paper next time you're at a craft store. It's only a few bucks and it'll give you a smooth background.

Yeah, it didn't work out too badly considering it was a couple of desk lamps. One with a 40 watt bulb and the other with a 60. I think I'll keep this setup! I started taking and editing pictures for existing listings. By the end of the weekend I should be up to date.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Yep, it's Google. I called her on it. Sadly it all ended much too soon. I guess her brain had to process all the big words I used, I don't know. Maybe she was just pissed off that I kept correcting her spelling.

I made my light box much smaller than the one in the link that was posted. I really don't have any items that are all that big, so the back piece of mine is 18" square and the sides are all 10-3/4" x 18". I used one whole piece of foam core and a small piece of a second. I don't know if you have Michaels around you, but they had them on sale this past week as part of their Dollar Days flyer. We had some posters arrive at work that were held rigid with the foam core, so I just brought those home with me. It was easy to put together!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Anyone know if you can block a person from sending you convos? Or how to go about reporting them? This thecropchick thing was funny at first, but she says she's just going to keep messaging me and each time I read one a few brain cells die. She has the personality of a box of hair and about the same IQ level.

Nevermind, found out you can't, just the reporting part.

Apparently she's getting her lawyer involved. Be scared guys.

pixel8ed fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 3, 2008

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Yeah, apparently we're being slanderous. I told her had we said she fondles little boys, then yes, that would be slanderous. Moron. I did the first step and told her not to contact me again and that if she didn't understand that she could ask her lawyer what it means.

I had a semi-part of an idea this morning. Thought I'd bring it here for some brainstorming. Picture a room of a house, say a kitchen or washroom and we place our products in there. Using Flash (if anyone is skilled) or a poster, we could then do popup boxes to show how our products would fit in there. So a custom light switch, soap by the sink/tub, etc, etc, etc. We have a lot of different products represented now so it might be neat. What do you guys think? We should maybe start brainstorming holiday stuff now too since it will probably take us a couple of months to organize.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm trying to remember all my HTML training from way back when. I think perhaps it may be possible to do the same sort of thing with an image map. I can draw up a room no problem, but after that I'm slightly lost. I think I'll play with it a bit and see what I can do though. If we could post that on the team site and then point a banner ad towards it I think it could work to draw in some business, especially around the holidays.

Seriously, those scents smell amazing! I'll be ordering them for sure. I bet you'll do awesome at a craft fair. Everyone needs soap and since it's so close to Christmas it would be a great gift idea. You could even do up a couple of sample baskets for display to show people how to gift them.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Rathina, I think that's a great idea!

Anyone seen this? http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5743625

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Rathina, you probably would have missed it had you just blinked. I made a comment one night that I was trying to read the forums but this chick just kept endlessly posting stupid comments. Everyone agreed, we were thankful for the mods around here that don't allow that bullshit and that was the end of it.
I'm quite enjoying watch her make a moron out of herself. In fact, I even considered buying her an SA membership so we could watch the stupidity, but since she'd be banned within 15 minutes, it would just be a huge waste.

Another super rainy day here and I have the day and tomorrow off work. I think I'll get started on the room thing and just see if I can do anything with it.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Canada Post is a pain in my rear end. I just shipped off a custom order that I received yesterday for two items weighing in at 2 pounds. I charged the regular $6 as the packages come in at around $5.63 plus tax. So I run it to the post office. It cost $26 to mail to the US. Seriously, I feel gouged. I ate the cost of course and off it went. Apparently I was 1" over what they consider small packet, which would be $6. A jump from $6 to $26 though, that's just ridiculous. At least now I know to keep all packages under 2" high. Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Yeah, the letter slot. Or "the slot of doom" as others call it. I just figured this would go as a light package. I even bought a bubble mailer while there, hauled it all out of the box and tried again. It was $2 more, but since I'd paid $3 for the mailer I just told her to go ahead. Luckily it's always the same girl and we have a pretty good relationship up to this point so she moaned along with me. But yeah, nothing else is going out over 3" unless it's within Canada. *sigh*

milkman, I like your stuff! The scans are a good idea too.

My new pictures have made a world of difference by the way. My views on all the newly taken pictures are way up and I've had a bunch of convos for custom stuff. It was worth the 5 minutes of lightbox assembly time for sure. Since I was busy making new stuff I didn't get to do the room picture though. It's still on my radar.