Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MoparPogue
Sep 11, 2001
Mortar Magnet

It's Saturday night and after a day spent with some friends, the decided to call it a night. As one of them was packing their car she was startled by a dog she thought was about to attack her from it's posture. When she turned to put herself in between the dog and her child the dog started wagging it's tail and whining.

I came out to see what was going on and the dog ran right to me. I was surprised... It's what appears to be a 1-2 year old pure bred German Shepherd. The dog is obviously starving, but very friendly.

The dog looks like he was from a family down the street that recently moved, though he is a lot skinnier than we last saw him.

His attitude is delightful and he introduced quickly to my other animals. He's not fixed, but if we can figure out a way to get papers will probably breed him.

My only issue now, the dog has blood shot eyes, lacerations on front right and rear left paws, and several growths on the stomach. The dog doesn't seem to be in any pain, but we are taking him to the vet as early as possible. I called my base vet and got an appointment with the vet that takes care of the working dogs on base, so hopefully they will know what's going on with this dog.

Here's a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

*facepalm*

Why, why do you HAVE to breed him? You know what, I'm not even going to take the honor, I'll let someone else.

He's a lovely dog for sure though. Any chance you'd like, get him scanned for a chip, or see if you can locate the original owners? Maybe he got away from them and homed himself back to his most recent location. Sometimes they do that. He might not be a stray and then you'd be wrong to keep him

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

Good lord, I totally missed that.

Has the military done experiments on your brain? Do not loving breed that dog. Jesus gently caress.

MoparPogue
Sep 11, 2001
Mortar Magnet

Papaya posted:

*facepalm*

Why, why do you HAVE to breed him? You know what, I'm not even going to take the honor, I'll let someone else.

He's a lovely dog for sure though. Any chance you'd like, get him scanned for a chip, or see if you can locate the original owners? Maybe he got away from them and homed himself back to his most recent location. Sometimes they do that. He might not be a stray and then you'd be wrong to keep him

I never said I HAD to breed him. Breeding isn't an evil thing though and the knee jerk reaction to the term "breeding" is asinine. You fully assume that I'm some hick eating off a wire-spool table who can't properly maintain their animals. I didn't realize a "Yay I saved a stray" thread would turn into a "Hurr! He said breeding!" circle-jerk in two posts.

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

MoparPogue posted:

I didn't realize a "Yay I saved a stray" thread would turn into a "Hurr! He said breeding!" circle-jerk in two posts.

Strays exist because too many people pointlessly breed their animals.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants

MoparPogue posted:

I never said I HAD to breed him. Breeding isn't an evil thing though and the knee jerk reaction to the term "breeding" is asinine. You fully assume that I'm some hick eating off a wire-spool table who can't properly maintain their animals. I didn't realize a "Yay I saved a stray" thread would turn into a "Hurr! He said breeding!" circle-jerk in two posts.

Whoa, calm down there. It's got nothing to do with you. You could be the most AMAZING pet owner in the world, and we'd STILL say 'don't breed the dog'. There are enough dogs in the world already to just breed any old one you find on the street.

It's great that you took him in! Bravo! Now get his balls hacked off so you don't have to worry about him deciding to mark his territory or escape and knock up some girl dog or something.

Customer Service fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2008 around 05:14

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Why in the world would you ever breed a random dog you got off the street?

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Lioness posted:

Why in the world would you ever breed a random dog you got off the street?

Duh, he has to make the money spent at the vets back somehow

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

drat, I knew I shouldn't have closed the tab with my angry reply in it just because the thread got closed!

Oh wait, here it is:

What the gently caress. Why the hell would you breed this dog? Unless you prove his fitness through show, herding, or schutzhund, or start working him, he and his offspring are just like all the other great pets that get euthanized every goddamn day all over the world. And why would you care about papers unless you're going to try him in the show ring? You don't need them for any of the other stuff.

Oh wait, wait, don't tell me... purebred puppies = profit. Awesome.

And I'm sure by "if we can figure out a way to get papers will probably breed him" you meant "if we can figure out a way to get papers will probably breed him, presuming he tests ok for hip displaysia, elbow displaysia, and Von Willebrand's Disease."

Kuja
Oct 8, 2007
Not economically viable.

Forgetting for a second that he might have horrible, terrible, awful genes that he could pass down onto future offspring, look at it this way instead.

Did it break your heart a little to know he'd been living on the streets? I hope so. Now think for a second about how you'll be contributing to other dogs suffering in such a manner if you breed this dog and start selling his puppies to people, who in turn, could have taken a nice dog off the street who needed a home, or found one in a shelter that already exists.

Think about that for a moment, and imagine dog like him walking the streets at the mercy of people who might not have been as kind as to take him in. Or think of puppies being euthanized because you wanted to breed this stray, and his whelp took their places in a loving home. Sound fair? I hope not.

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.

Emaciated dog that someone just dumped when they left...CHECK

Growths of unknown nature...CHECK

Not fixed...CHECK

I'm sorry, everyone else is wrong, this animal clearly checks out for breeding and you should breed it right away. Make sure to breed it to other types of dogs, like corgis or chihuahuas, because you could invent the mini-Shep and make BILLIONS.

Maybe even MILLIONS.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

I suggest before you adopt him into your own family, to put up flyers,check for a chip and ring around vets ect.

Just incase someones missing their dog (i know id be pretty upset), then id say get him a once over vet check before mixing him with your other pets.

xerophinity
May 18, 2004
You're Fired

I think the first couple of times is enough to mention that breeding is a bad idea. But every consecutive post after that is overdoing it. I think he gets the point. This is why everyone hates PI.

OP just get him to a vet as soon as you can and get him better, then see if he's got a chip.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

xerophinity posted:

I think the first couple of times is enough to mention that breeding is a bad idea. But every consecutive post after that is overdoing it. I think he gets the point. This is why everyone hates PI.

OP just get him to a vet as soon as you can and get him better, then see if he's got a chip.

This is why we're trying to educate people like the OP, and anyone else who happens to click on the thread. Granted, PI is capable of much more civility, but we have to deal with people like the OP day in and day out, and they don't even bother reading the FAQ which states exactly what we're already telling you.

Sorry if you can't read or comprehend the forum FAQ, or lurk in this forum, therefore we get to yell at you.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

xerophinity posted:

He obviously didn't get the point, because he first defended it, acted like a whining baby and then closed the thread. I reopened it.

Lopside Fundip
Aug 15, 2001

It's great that you are thinking of adopting a homeless animal. It really is.

The first step is to make the effort to get him reunited with his "lost" family. You do this as an act of good faith and to avoid a trouble if the family suddenly shows up and gets hostile. People can get really charged up about purebreds, especially if he was a stud dog that made them money.

So this is good advice:

pioneermax posted:

I suggest before you adopt him into your own family, to put up flyers, check for a chip and ring around vets ect.

Just incase someones missing their dog (i know id be pretty upset), then id say get him a once over vet check before mixing him with your other pets.

Be careful about leavng him unsupervised with other animals in the beginning. Sheps are usually pretty good roommates, but it's worth being cautious.

Get a full vet check with hip x-rays. If you have to start saving a couple thousand for surgery, you want to know now.

I don't reccomend breeding. Not even just in the "millions of animals die every year" way. Sheps have a lot of really terrible, genetic health problems. Unless you know the parents and how the other litters turned out, there's a reasonable chance of ending up with ethically unsellable puppies.

Lopside Fundip fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2008 around 20:01

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

xerophinity posted:

Huh. Everyone hates PI? Or everyone who doesn't want to be a responsible pet owner hates PI?

No, you don't actually have to answer. We already know.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Interesting that we have xerophinity, who thinks everyone hates PI, but we also have AlphaDog, who called PI "the most knowledgeable and friendly pet forum I've ever seen".

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!

Everyone who wants to be a super awesome responsible pet owner loves PI. We're mean when you need it.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Dru posted:

Everyone who wants to be a super awesome responsible pet owner loves PI. We're mean when you need it.

And Lioness and Dr. Housecat are just grumpy 24/7

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

daggerdragon posted:

And Lioness and Dr. Housecat are just grumpy 24/7

Am not. Bitch.

Shankzilla
Jul 23, 2004

Man, ya really hurt my feelin's. Wow.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Am not. Bitch.

I love you, Pet Island mommy.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Shankzilla posted:

I love you, Pet Island mommy.

I don't think she has the age or the inclination to be PI mommy. I think she's more the cranky maiden aunt of PI

AlphaDog
Sep 27, 2004

Destroyer of Hardware

maplecheese posted:

Interesting that we have xerophinity, who thinks everyone hates PI, but we also have AlphaDog, who called PI "the most knowledgeable and friendly pet forum I've ever seen".

I think I qualified that with "Except when someone comes in and says "Huuuur! I'm'a breed mah dawgs!""

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

Cathis posted:

I don't think she has the age or the inclination to be PI mommy. I think she's more the cranky maiden aunt of PI

I assure you, I would have aborted you all. I mean that in the nicest possible way. With a loving knitting needle.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I assure you, I would have aborted you all. I mean that in the nicest possible way. With a loving knitting needle.
I love you forever. Don't abort me.

...Whore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

NOW maybe they got the point.