Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837803/

Sex and Breakfast (slated to be released on DVD Jan 22, 2008) is a indie drama starring Macaulay Culkin, Eliza Dushku, Alexis Dziena and Kuno Becker.

The film follows the lives of two couples in committed, but not yet married, relationships whose bedroom dysfunctions are causing stress on their individual relationships. The film chronicles the few days before and after they seek help from a progressive group sex therapist.

Although the reviews I've read for this film criticize it for being "too slow" and "nothing happening" I would argue quite a bit happens in the movie. True, the movie is slower paced. But, what the movie lacks traditional pacing it makes up for in investigation into what makes human relationships (particularly long term relationships) tick. Having been in a long term relationship this movie felt very real.

The acting was spot on...it never felt like the characters portrayed weren't actually couples. And although I usually don't notice music one way or the other in a movie, the music in this movie was really well done. I even watched the credits all the way through so I could write down the bands. And lastly in the positive column, although not funny enough to make it into the "dark comedy" category, the movie does handle humor well and has some decent funny lines to break up the drama.

There were some soft spots, most notably a lesbian plot device that doesn't get fully fleshed out and some of the dialogue of the sex doctor seems a little forced. And before anyone asks, there is no visible nudity in the film.

All in all, I'd say the movie is worth a rent...especially if you're a fan of character driven movies.

4/5

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParadigmX
Mar 24, 2004
ESKIMO
Just watched the film since you gave it a good recommendation - plus it's the Home Alone kid.

This really was one of the coolest films I've seen in awhile - no doubt about it.

Although I was a bit confused at the ending.