Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
marit
Nov 16, 2006

Superfreak
Can't wait to see this one get put on :foxnews:

I can't really see the channers winning, in dismantling the CoS, but I can see them giving Tom Cruise a stroke on TV and getting this put on at least one mainstream news feed. Which will be at worth a few cheap laughs at least.

I hope the media members who are CoS members do some kind of "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE" response on YouTube. "LEAVE SCIENTOLOGY ALONE"
If they just get that much of a rise out of them, the internet wins and Scientology loses... because Scientology will have Dignified a bunch of 12 year olds and basement dwellers.

Why don't you just use your superpowers to stop it then? Fat lot of good assists & other BS is doing you now.

marit fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ducay
Apr 1, 2005
More Cheers, More Beers - That's it, that's all

frimpo posted:

After reading about CoS's Operation Snow Flake and Operation Freakout, I can only imagine scientologists attempting to infiltrate 4chan. Anyways, good on Anon, I hope this fight stays very public.

I don't think they are having a hard time "infiltrating" them....their forum is public and pretty much shows everything ANON is doing/planning

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This idea just made me wonder why Fred Phelps and WBC don't fight Scientology. I don't know who I would back in that fight.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Can a mod please work out a megathread/subforum or something?

I'm all for the Scieno bashing, but there's 3 loving threads for the same poo poo with a different news story / video.

edit: Ah gently caress it, more threads is more exposure I suppose. Go, chan, go.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 24, 2008

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lot get so defensive. It wasn't even intended to be insulting, you both utterly missed the point. I was merely pointing out the wonders of this modern age. Who'd have thought such important events would be occurring in 2008? What times we live in.

You're the one grouping the SA forums as some sort of third entity in this two-sided e-war of idiots. We have nothing to do with any of this one way or the other.

Edain
Sep 13, 2007
I never thought I'd say this, (hell, it feels weird even thinking about it), but I fully support -chan on this. Not that I'm convinced it'll get them anywhere mind, but I can only wish them the best in this. If nothing else it should be entertaining to watch.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lot get so defensive. It wasn't even intended to be insulting, you both utterly missed the point. I was merely pointing out the wonders of this modern age. Who'd have thought such important events would be occurring in 2008? What times we live in.

It's not my fault your comment is so retarded :).

AeroZeppelin
Dec 20, 2005

It's Burst Into Flames!
This story got me researching the other internet fights that scientology has been in.
http://www.xenu.net/archive/secret.html

I didn't know this but the Xenu was discovered by some "secret" documents that were uncover and posted online in the wee years of popular public internet.

I would really love for anonymous to at least shake them up.

Lebanese Disease
May 9, 2004
Stupid Indie Torrents:(

Mr. Mnemonik posted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2547253292326096449 <-- Their press release video is actually quite cool

As much as I hate both parties involved I do not know who to cheer on. I'd like to see how long this goes on before the kids get bored and decide to move on to the Catholic Church for more press.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Chido posted:

It's not my fault your comment is so retarded :).

Perhaps you'd like me to break out the crayolas and glitter next time to make it easier for you to understand the point.

Alternatively you could quit acting like I kicked you in the balls by pointing out that there's something whimsical about 4-chan and Scientology going at it while goons cheer on from the side-lines like some freakish electronic bloodsport.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I support having the -chan's turning themselves in for reward in mass.

Just to see what happens.

LordPatB
Jul 25, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

This is pretty amazing. I can see alot of reading material coming out of this.

Agreed. Grabbing some popcorn and waiting for nerds to further piss off the nutcases.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

TotalBiscuit posted:

Perhaps you'd like me to break out the crayolas and glitter next time to make it easier for you to understand the point.

Alternatively you could quit acting like I kicked you in the balls by pointing out that there's something whimsical about 4-chan and Scientology going at it while goons cheer on from the side-lines like some freakish electronic bloodsport.

Geez, you get so defensive. It wasn't even intended to be insulting,you utterly missed the point. I was merely pointing out the lameness of your "joke" in this modern age. But, if bringing out crayons make you feel better, I''ll be more than happy to see your drawings. Do you finger paint too?

doctor robert
Dec 30, 2007

hurley_thumbz.jpg
The more poo poo -chan stirs up, the better. I'm just looking for some humor.

Jack Burton
Mar 1, 2002

If we're not back by dawn, call the president.

Mr. Mnemonik posted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2547253292326096449 <-- Their press release video is actually quite cool

Anonymous' war videos always kick rear end. Their regular ones...not so much.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Psychotic jackasses vs. Assholes with too much spare time

I'm backing the chans on this one. They might be royal dickheads, but they don't take money from people or hurt anyone.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

doctor robert posted:

The more poo poo -chan stirs up, the better. I'm just looking for some humor.

Well, it's a bit too soon to see anything besides the DOS attack. Hopefully Anonymous will be interested long enough to see some actual results.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

invisible cupcake posted:

you can say that again

http://digg.com/odd_stuff/ANON_release_Scientology_secret_DOX

this is actually pretty absurd. these guys leaked some MAJOR Scientology stuff. This is probably going to be very ugly.

Against my better judgement, I went ahead and downloaded SECRETDOX.rar, however what I found was just a whole bunch of L Ron Hubbard books in PDF format.

The only thing I found in there that might be of interest was a .doc file titled "All About Radiation", opening the doc shows the heading "ALL ABOUT RADIATION by A NUCLEAR PHYSICIST and A MEDICAL DOCTOR"

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Is it wrong of me to find how 4chan organizes and operates interesting? It seems like the exact opposite of SA, nobody has an identity, it's just one semi-retarded entity.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Migishu posted:

Against my better judgement, I went ahead and downloaded SECRETDOX.rar, however what I found was just a whole bunch of L Ron Hubbard books in PDF format.

The only thing I found in there that might be of interest was a .doc file titled "All About Radiation", opening the doc shows the heading "ALL ABOUT RADIATION by A NUCLEAR PHYSICIST and A MEDICAL DOCTOR"

With the way the CoS i about copyright infringement and being made fun of this is probably just as good/bad as if they had actually found any "super-secret documents" to reveal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

4chan vs Scientology.

I feel like I'm in some sort of alternate, LSD-fueled universe. But it's awesome.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Mnemonik posted:

Whoa, loving awesome video. Got me all pumped to do...something :confused:

Alas I have no hacking ability but ya, gently caress ya to this project!

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I've been reading about this on Encyclopedia Dramatica for a little under a week. I think that this is amazing. I am rooting for Anon on this one (can't believe I actually said this) and I'm a little surprised that SA hasn't taken a more active role.

I'm not sure how long Anonymous will keep this us. I actually think it will last quite a while because Scientolgoy has a lot of money and will probably be stupid enough to try and fight back. This will just make it more interesting.

And yes, that declaration of war video is badass.

EDIT:

destructo posted:

Is it wrong of me to find how 4chan organizes and operates interesting? It seems like the exact opposite of SA, nobody has an identity, it's just one semi-retarded entity.

I don't think so. I find it fascinating as well. I never really visit 4chan and I was surprised by how organized they are with the phases of the attack and everything. It's actually quite interesting that they can be organized yet no one is in charge.

Startacus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2008

DriveMeCrazy
Dec 7, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I don't see what purpose there is in releasing these leaked documents, they're all so batshit insane nobody will be able to understand them anyway. I know I didn't. "The Being is free, A Clear of the MEST Banking mess is critical. I am L. Ron Hubbard and I smoke crack through 13 year old boys."

semi semite
Jun 30, 2003

almost a jew
This is exciting, but there's a couple interesting questions nobody seems to be asking.

1) How do we have any idea this is genuine.

2) How was this obtained? An internal whistleblower? Did they claim to hack them? Why would they have secret documents accessible from the internet?

I've always had a slight doubt about the whole Xenu thing. They never admitted it, right? Maybe it's just a rumor that everybody just takes as fact.

Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

I got tired of seeing Alex as part of your title so here is a picture of RICKY MARTIN
I think the most interesting dynamic of all this is how Scientology will respond. Their modus operandi is generally to attack someone, instead of being defensive. They avoid scrutiny by highlighting something wrong with the person in question, and get away with verbal murder.

How do you apply that to a faceless group of people posting lolicon through proxies? These people basically exist to anonymously beat off to the most embarassing and disturbing poo poo on the internet. They don't have anything to hide because the only thing you know about them is that they're hosed in the head.

Gonna be interesting if the chans can keep it up.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
This is awesome. It's like taking a shovelful of one fire ant mound and dumping it onto a larger one.

And then sitting back in your lawnchair to watch.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Startacus posted:

I've been reading about this on Encyclopedia Dramatica for a little under a week. I think that this is amazing. I am rooting for Anon on this one (can't believe I actually said this) and I'm a little surprised that SA hasn't taken a more active role.

I'm not, to be honest- I mean, at some point, we have to make an assessment whether or not we want to get involved where our personal information is easily attainable.. plus if it leads back to SA, there could be larger repercussions.. so much to lose and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that not much will be gained; the cost/benefit analysis tells us we should just sit out.

that being said, GO ANON

...god I feel dirty saying that

sakana
Feb 9, 2003

What the fuck is up with all those chicken strips?

semi semite posted:

This is exciting, but there's a couple interesting questions nobody seems to be asking.

2) How was this obtained? An internal whistleblower? Did they claim to hack them? Why would they have secret documents accessible from the internet?

I've always had a slight doubt about the whole Xenu thing. They never admitted it, right? Maybe it's just a rumor that everybody just takes as fact.

1) We'll get our confirmation if and when they're taken down due to claims of copyright violation.

2) I heard it was via hacking.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

semi semite posted:

Well, we know it's genuine because scientology.org has been down for days and they announced $5k for the persecution of the people responsible on the raids of their servers.

I would assume that the documents were obtained through hacking. I'm not sure why they would have the documents accesssible from the Internet. Maybe to allow easier access from their followers? Or maybe it's just because they are all batshit crazy.

EDIT:

Roteaugen posted:

I'm not, to be honest- I mean, at some point, we have to make an assessment whether or not we want to get involved where our personal information is easily attainable.. plus if it leads back to SA, there could be larger repercussions.. so much to lose and I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that not much will be gained; the cost/benefit analysis tells us we should just sit out.

that being said, GO ANON

...god I feel dirty saying that

You make a good point. Even if we were to take strictly legal action it would be stupid because those people are nuts. I'm just going to continue sitting in my chair eating some popcorn and enjoying the show.

Startacus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 24, 2008

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Migishu posted:

Stuff about SECRETDOX.rar

Go to the Child Dianetics document, and read the section on Child Care. It starts on p48. It's disturbing, to say the least. They're stripping away the emotional framework a child develops with his/her family so that Dianetics and CoS can take its place.

Cotton B. Gross
Jun 21, 2006

by Fragmaster

Migishu posted:

That's not secret at all, I've seen a copy on eBay.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Roteaugen posted:

Exactly. If a forum member were to, lets say, recruit on the forums. It wouldn't provide any real benefit. The recruits would not be anon. and neither would the recruiter. In addition it would just call for the forums to be sued and win or lose they'd probably go down for a while.

On that note: Who wants to take bets on how long until the Church of Scientology sues the gently caress out of 4chan?

Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

I got tired of seeing Alex as part of your title so here is a picture of RICKY MARTIN

TheCIASentMe posted:

On that note: Who wants to take bets on how long until the Church of Scientology sues the gently caress out of 4chan?

Even if they had a legitimate lawsuit, shutting down 4chan would only make it worse, really. Problem is, they're probably that ignorant of how internet communities work.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The only way this will have any real impact will be if the CoS actively tries to fight back. If they want to "win" and get 4chan off their back, they just have to simply ignore them, as 4chan's attention span is notoriously short. However, if they go after a single member of 4chan, or issue any statements recognizing them at all, the entire website is going to be up in arms. They feed off attention.

Hopefully the CoS is stupid enough to give them attention, because the ensuing backlash will be awesome to watch.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

TheCIASentMe posted:

Exactly. If a forum member were to, lets say, recruit on the forums. It wouldn't provide any real benefit. The recruits would not be anon. and neither would the recruiter. In addition it would just call for the forums to be sued and win or lose they'd probably go down for a while.

They will probably attempt to sue them but it won't do anything but add more fuel to the fire. From what I've read they have multiple backup boards in case one of them gets knocked down. You really can't sue something that functionally doesn't exist. They can take down 4chan but I would find it hard to believe that they could take out Anon. If anything it will, for sure, bring this whole thing into the media spotlight. Just what Anon wants.

semi semite
Jun 30, 2003

almost a jew

Startacus posted:

Well, we know it's genuine because scientology.org has been down for days and they announced $5k for the persecution of the people responsible on the raids of their servers.

The $5k reward was posted days ago, correct? I thought this document was sent out only today.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

semi semite posted:

They have admitted the Xenu stuff is genuine, they have taken people to court over it and claimed it as a trade secret. Arnie Lerma was the one who leaked the Xenu stuff to usenet I think (and got his home raided and landed up in federal court in the process).

It is a collection of mostly non-secret books or books only auditors are supposed to have and stuff that has been leaked by whistleblowers over the past decades. None of it was hacked by these guys but it makes it more dramatic when they say it.

The 5k reward is for the people who were sending death threats, not releasing documents

marit
Nov 16, 2006

Superfreak
If 4chan got shut down they'd just migrate deeper into IRC or start some other forum.
or else let the other chans take over.

If the books are in .pdf form, couldn't they have easily been scanned in? I'm sure it would take awhile but there's instruction manuals for old video games around. Those had to be scanned. I can see it happening where some nerd gets ahold of a relative's scientology text books.

I'm still not seein' scientology collapsing just because a bunch of teenagers fax ascii pictures of goatse to the offices.
Still funny though.

quote:

They will probably attempt to sue them but it won't do anything but add more fuel to the fire. From what I've read they have multiple backup boards in case one of them gets knocked down. You really can't sue something that functionally doesn't exist. They can take down 4chan but I would find it hard to believe that they could take out Anon. If anything it will, for sure, bring this whole thing into the media spotlight. Just what Anon wants.
Cool, so Anonymous is actually SkyNet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly can you sue 4chan. It's not one person, or the site organizing it. It's an almost 100% member-driven thing. They can't be sued, that would be like suing a Movie theater for a riot that happened because someone punched someone else.