Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Ignore me im still choking on your tremendous 50 odd page load, but if we aren't yet i can be outside passing out 'Mr.Palahniuk's Glorious Teachings Of The lord'

My stress test only has one handle to hold onto though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

edit: Can never be to careful these days!

Shibaz fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 26, 2008

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

InternetNintendos posted:

Still a little behind, just reading along while going throughout my day. The name ned block seems like it could be of importance in our history. Through some googling of his name i stumbled upon the fact that he is a professor of how the mind is a computer. Fascinating!

Study up. He seems evil to...someone.

Seems like there is definitly something there that could help in, oh i dunno, be creative!

I really wish I could figure it out, but I definitly cant right now. I've got to prepare for my class at nyu, which "examines the conflict between computational and biological approaches to the mind".

Goon speed though.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Shibaz posted:

Seems like there is definitly something there that could help in, oh i dunno, be creative!

I really wish I could figure it out, but I definitly cant right now. I've got to prepare for my class at nyu, which "examines the conflict between computational and biological approaches to the mind".

Goon speed though.

Wow, some amazing idea just came to me out of nowhere having to do with that same class im taking!

See, my professor ned block, he invented this idea that....well, im new in the class. See for yourselves on the ole google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%22&btnG=Search
(Search of Ned Block and the name of his class)

class posted:

1. In a few sentences, say what you think of the Turing Test as a practical way of assessing whether a machine can think.

Hey, never heard of that there turing test.

class posted:

# An intelligent machine might believe that were it to pass the Turing Test, people would take it apart to see how it worked. So it might intentionally fail.

Oh. So like, if someone was pushing a turing test on a machine, which can lead only a postive or negative answer, "is or is not", that machine could trick the tester into a logic mindfuck.

Thats the first question of assignment 1. He has like, 30 years based on this principle! If only there was some global network of finding such information.

Shibaz fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 26, 2008

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Shibaz posted:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...amp;btnG=Search
(Search of Ned Block and the name of his class)

class posted:

1. In a few sentences, say what you think of the Turing Test as a practical way of assessing whether a machine can think.
Hey, never heard of that there turing test.

class posted:

# An intelligent machine might believe that were it to pass the Turing Test, people would take it apart to see how it worked. So it might intentionally fail.

Oh. So like, if someone was pushing a turing test on a machine, which can lead only a postive or negative answer, "is or is not", that machine could trick the tester into a logic mindfuck.

Thats the first question of assignment 1. He has like, 30 years based on this principle! If only there was some global network of finding such information.

And from all that I find "*Jason Hutchens, "How to Pass the Turing Test by Cheating""

what crazy kind of test would it be incredibly useful to be able to disprove with a professionals thought out lifelong theorys on the same god damned thing? this poo poo is too hard.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Ill contact the police, hopefully this weekend, about different protesting methods outside of one of the way-too-many buildings in NoVA. I'll be able to clearly find out whats ok to do, whats not, and what he laughs at.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

paraone posted:

Remember that once a permit to demonstrate is filed (if it is given), whoever files it will be on record, and that record is public record available to anyone upon request.

Please don't get the impression im like, calling a station or walking into a precinct, this will be completely off the record but i'll be able to get real data to work off.

High ranking local cop buddies are helpful for fighting evil doers.

e: Still, its good to know if someone hasn't thought of that: Don't go filing for poo poo you don't want records of.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Agent Bob posted:

I know this is kind of stupid, but I took the No L. Ron image, greyscaled it, reduced its size, and put it on my lovely squier guitar that I'm using for an upcoming project.

:shobon:

I fully condone this act!

And get ready for lots of plastic GH guitars all LRH'd up.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Chronocyder_Spyder posted:

Absolutely, they love to stalk critics/harrass/yell in your face for reaction as well. They love to try to set critics up, sometimes by "bumping them" and claiming the critic did it in order to make the critic look like they assaulted them, no kidding. I know this may sound :tinfoil: but it has happened in the past.

We've seen the videos too, everyone should probably know by now whats to be expected.

I'm sure there will be several random "threats" from people claiming to be the "evil hackers" in order to curve pop culture towards the wrong way.

Quick, someone copyright it.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

grrowl posted:

Yes, funny, but I don't think it's what this thread is about.

Shining the light on the wrong doings of the CoS?

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

IT Girl posted:

I REALLY like the idea on the Chanology wiki about mailing packets of Kool-Aid to people in the CoS with a letter from "Jim Jones".("Here's some Kool-Aid, you're gonna need it!") I'd like to see people at the raids handing out packets to the Scientologists they meet, but I don't know if they'd get the joke.

I really liked the idea of having peacefully protests outside of CoS buildings with concerned family members of scientologists, until I thought about how that was a huge factor in Jim Jones deciding to pull the plug and have everyone die. Once members start asking questions and becoming worried about what they are being led into, the leaders will take more drastic actions.

I don't see a way to get around that though.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Mozzie posted:

No, it's Lisa's birthday.

It's also when Hitler made his crazy speech that LRH uses the same techniques from.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Someone with better writing skills than me and some decent knowledge of the christian beliefs:

I would love some flyers made up as an open letter of sorts made out to "our christian brothers". Something where I could just lay stacks out in front of local christian churches spreading awareness of the CoS. If it is written as if the church itself put this letters out for it's members to read that would be amazing.

Get up and kick up a storm, sit up and pin up the whore.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

TwoSheds posted:

Better yet, why don't you actually contact said local churches and collaborate with them to produce LEGIT fliers. Just so the whole thing doesn't smack of fraudulence, which could get you (and by extension, the cause) in trouble with the Christians, as well.

@ burmart: Vote 1 and move on, jackass.

Thanks for the good idea, but I don't know if we would be able to educate enough people high up in the christian churches before the 10th. I'm sure they would want to research any facts they put out themselves, and it would have to hit them pretty damned hard to be ready to talk about another "religion" like that.

I definitly don't want the flyers to literally say "from the church" or anything like that, but be written so that someone who picked it up might get the impression that it was handed out by the church.

By claiming to be a religion so that it can obtain the benefits of a church, the CoS is completely mocking "real religions". It shouldn't be very hard to make some people outraged with a properly written flyer that they pick up on their way in or out of their church, and might even get people to ask their ministers questions about how they feel on the subject. The more types of people we can get to protest the better.

e: If it's true that masks in DC are illegal, it should be fine to wear a bandana to cover your nose and mouth right?

Shibaz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2008

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Be Depressive posted:

Like how the "google lisa mcpherson" is a failure - cuz it looks like a google ad.

Almost every flyer I've seen in this thread I've noticed could be misunderstood, and might actually give the impression the flyer is promoting the CoS.

On that note, I have to completely disagree with you about "google lisa mcpherson". Unless someone uses the actual colored Google logo with the TM symbol above it, the word "google" as a verb is pretty damned mainstream by now.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Roteaugen posted:

also, is anyone else humming "what a wonderful world" to themselves while reading this thread and watching the news pick up on stories related to this?

I am :3:

Every time I start reading about scientology all i can hear is benny hill music blasting in my head.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Mark Bunker's radio show is coming on right now.

They mentioned anon and the internets already.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

They are quoting the internet so much it's ridiculous.

Fresh prince omg.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

He's a goon, he's protected!

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned bringing up anon in their radio show.

Is that this guy? If it is i'm shocked he didn't mention it.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

He said Boon Doggle! He's reading :)

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Alright goons, this is our time to shine. Call in and feel free to use subtle jokes, but show that we know our stuff! Enter in to a nice, educated discussion!

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Lermanet.com posted:

did anyone catch the call in numbers?

I nominate you to represent us here at SA. Try and bust your way into those phones if you can.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Migishu posted:

"Did you stop beating your wife"

What the flying christ?

It's part of their bullbaiting tactics to get their critics to lose their minds. There's a video of that particular incident on xenutv's youtube videos.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Crain posted:

do we really wanna do that?

No, we don't. No obvious internet laughs please. We already know he's reading this.

DevNull posted:

Yes, Feb 10 is the birthday of Lisa. Please mention this DJ

Yes.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

The DJ did say ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK at one point. Whoops.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Feb 10 AND whyaretheydead plug, great job DJ!

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

abkadefgee posted:

Bah, I blew it on mentioning Lisa McPherson's birthday. I thought he was only going to give me a second to talk, but then he started asking questions :). Plus, it totally threw me off that I was the first caller!

Anyway, thanks guys and if you call up, please mention the email: stopscientologytoday@gmail.com for more info on the KC event. I was just about to mention it when he said "thanks, Matt."

Good job on the call! I was grinning like tom cruise when i realized we had a legit caller.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

God damnit.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Lermanet.com posted:

line is busy still trying

everyone stop calling but arnie, he is our SA rep!

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Hopefully the DJ can post in here, and arnie can PM him his number. If not we have to hope he gets through on his own.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Damnit DJ, furry jokes make me smile so much but please get Arnie Lerma on the phone!

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Thanks for trying to get in Arnie, you would have been a great addition to the show. There will be more though, we still have more than a week left until the 10th.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Gummy Joe posted:

It's easy enough to find a thousand websites that purport all sorts of whacky poo poo, so citing something like xenutv or xenu.net is not going to be very effective (Sorry Arnie).

Arnie runs lermanet.com, why is everyone loving that up? It's his name.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

Damnit. Damnit damnit damnit. I missed all of that, and now I feel really disconnected from this thread. Hell, I mamaged to read all 161 pages, and I still feel disconnected for missing that.

Don't worry, once your check clears you will become OTIII and we will let you listen to the CD.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

TheChad posted:

The rapidshare link is wierding out on me, makes we wait 2 min then it says download is invalid. Please get it up on youtube.

Worked fine for me, it just finished.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

I just re-listened to the intro of the show, and it sounds like the DJ said his name. Something that starts with an N? Right before he says 'as the kids say, pools closed' because mac is on assignment.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Lermanet.com posted:

I'm working on a translation of this page on Stern.de
Tom Cruise as Propaganda Minister
that came out a few hours ago

LINK

Nice! Thanks man.

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

I was listening to some O+A reruns last night and heard Louis C.K. talking about his youtube channel, and I found a loving hilarious video about him "finding religion".

It's only about the catholic religion, and it's a parody.

NWShttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABSoHYQr6kNWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibaz
May 17, 2004

Modot posted:

Christ, I think my laughter might have scared the people in the neighboring apartments.

I figured some louis c.k. could lighten everyone up a bit. As long as it reaches on person!