Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

I got tired of seeing Alex as part of your title so here is a picture of RICKY MARTIN
Yeah, I generally hate the bandwagon "Anonymous" poo poo that 4chan promotes (along with the others), but I was discussing this with my girlfriend last night and it's actually a fairly good thing, to me.

When the CoS uses every legal recourse they have available to silence detractors, bankrupt ex-members, and basically make life miserable for people who disagree with them or try to expose their horrific practices, what other venues are there?

How do you fight a group of people with fanatical devotion and huge bankrolls, lawyer lists and exploitations of society?

You do it anonymously. You post embarassing poo poo about them. You widen the gap between them and credibility by exposing every single problem or "boo-boo" they happen to have made. At this point, what is Scientology going to do, shut down the Internet?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the catalyst (free exchange of information about them) that ultimately weakens and screws the CoS over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

I got tired of seeing Alex as part of your title so here is a picture of RICKY MARTIN
I think the most interesting dynamic of all this is how Scientology will respond. Their modus operandi is generally to attack someone, instead of being defensive. They avoid scrutiny by highlighting something wrong with the person in question, and get away with verbal murder.

How do you apply that to a faceless group of people posting lolicon through proxies? These people basically exist to anonymously beat off to the most embarassing and disturbing poo poo on the internet. They don't have anything to hide because the only thing you know about them is that they're hosed in the head.

Gonna be interesting if the chans can keep it up.

Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

TheCIASentMe posted:

On that note: Who wants to take bets on how long until the Church of Scientology sues the gently caress out of 4chan?

Even if they had a legitimate lawsuit, shutting down 4chan would only make it worse, really. Problem is, they're probably that ignorant of how internet communities work.

Worldmaker
Oct 21, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

How exactly can you sue 4chan. It's not one person, or the site organizing it. It's an almost 100% member-driven thing. They can't be sued, that would be like suing a Movie theater for a riot that happened because someone punched someone else.

You can sue the server host (and in turn, the owner of 4chan). 4chan is certainly a sue-able entity. The member base, however, wouldn't really be affected.