Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
With the southern states starting to warm up and the northern states being in prime snow wheeling time I figure it is time for a 4x4 thread.

With the end of a rainy week and getting over a cold I decided to take the Cherokee out for some fun. A friend of a friend lives on 100+ acres of pasture land and invited us over for a little mud fun.

The Cherokee at the beginning of the day.

A short video of the mud puddle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrz6CttFn1w
My friends 1984 land cruiser after getting stuck in slick mud.

He really needs new tires. These got packed full of mud and wouldn't clean out.

The Cherokee after round one and pulling my friend back to the house after he got stuck again.

And again after round two. My friends dad joined in this round with a Ram 3500 on 35x14.5 super swampers. Most of the mud is what he slung on me.

The ram getting dirty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMXr5kdZr6E

This dog followed us around all day. He was always leaning to one side.

Oh poo poo so is the Jeep.

Well that explains it.

I snapped the bracket holding one end of the swaybar. It looks like I will need to weld that up this week.

I know I'm not the only one here with a 4x4. Lets see those pictures and if you don't have any go out and get some.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I've had a few trucks but i had never done anything but full size so i decided to find something different. I've never really been into Jeeps even though they are pretty much the benchmark in offroad capability out of the box. Instead i bought a $300 Explorer XLT. I pretty much drive it all the time right now but in the next couple months it won't be road legal due to bumper height so it will be a part time driver.

Right now it has 32x11.50 tires and a 3" body lift. I still buried it to the rockers in my field a couple weeks ago.

The next day

My buddies truck, which got me out. I swear to god this truck is impossible to get to stuck without trying.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
i was actually stuck about an hour ago, in a field, getting someone else out of being stuck.

anyway, my tercel (not really 4x4, it's 4wd, mwahaha. Not a great off roader but it manages.)

My buddies f-250(which is really a 350 cuz the axles are solid and whatnot. Powerstroke.

And his Gas f-150 (never has been stuck)

Another friends Dodge (I dont like this truck)

Bonus pretty shot

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Neu posted:

And his Gas f-150 (never has been stuck)

I've never been offroading and I don't know anything about it, so explain to me these questions:

- How does the engine not hydrolock if it's submerged? Is there some sort of re-routed air intake? What about the exhaust, does it just bubble out or would you need a smokestack like a big semi?

- What about the interior? Surely it's not that water-tight...

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I almost never take it out, but its not getting stuck (4WD, PTO winch)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dharma bum
Feb 2, 2004

The small otter has resigned himself to inevitable death
After a long dusty scramble up a loose hillside:

The view from the top:

The forest around here is mostly dry and sandy, I don't have any cool mud shots or anything :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Repeat after me: "I will not try to cross two foot deep slurry on road tyres"

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Repeat after me: "I will not try to cross two foot deep slurry on road tyres"

I've been there, stock 2000 S10 Blazer. It always looks like a good idea until all 4 tires are in it. It did have good BFG A/T tires but lack of lockers really screwed the attempt. It was a cast iron bitch to get back out.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I'm glad my friend didn't try the mud pit because it would have ended up like you InitialDave. I really don't want to have to winch his land cruiser out of anything.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'll post pictures and videos I took this weekend, went out to a friends ranch out towards Big Bear near Lake Arrowhead, ran through, desert, mud then snow. I don't have many good action pictures since I didn't have a co-pilot and I can't shoot video when I got both hands on the wheel :(.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

A stick from some guys yard.. (which proved to be the only way out)

The view from the top..

This is a fun truck, but desperately needs the (rare) solid axle in the front.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tom Collins posted:

I've never been offroading and I don't know anything about it, so explain to me these questions:

- How does the engine not hydrolock if it's submerged? Is there some sort of re-routed air intake? What about the exhaust, does it just bubble out or would you need a smokestack like a big semi?

There are a few options, normally the intake gets rerouted. Coincidentally those snorkels you see on trucks were first used to get the intake tract out of the cloud of dust from trucks ahead. Slightly amusing: watch when the Toyota buggy drops the engine in to the water and he makes his way through by cranking over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSp0CtEVqw

The interior gets hosed out after. :laugh:

I only have poser shots because I tend to not feel like stopping when I'm in anything difficult. This is 2" from the front bumpstops.

This is why you get sliders..... and mine are finally coming this week from a local club group buy that we started in SEPTEMBER.

Unfortunately there is 3ft+ of snow on anything open locally and my truck is incredibly difficult to recover when actually stuck. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 29, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

ACEofsnett posted:

I have a choice right now because i have a four inch suspension lift sitting in my garage made for my Explorer. It will fit the 35's i have sitting beside them but i also have a complete '78 Bronco front suspension sitting there also. I have a local shop that is ready to narrow it a few(several)inches. I will need to buy 4:56 gears for the front either way since i already own them for the rear. I will also need to order a new locker since i don't have one for a Bronco but it is pretty cheap.

BlackMK4 posted:

This is why you get sliders..... and mine are finally coming this week from a local club group buy that we started in SEPTEMBER.

Why not build your own, or have a local welder/fab shop build you a set? They would have been done in a couple days, cheaper, and built exactly the way you wanted them.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How does your Explorer lift address camber? And how hard would swapping that axle in be?

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Adjustable camber bushings are cheap as hell, even Summit carries them. I use a local shop and after the 4" lift my alignment including camber is less than $100. Solid axle wise, once the 6" width reduction is done to it it's not bad. Superlift 5.5" springs and the rest of the Bronco suspension makes it pretty cheap.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I haven't done any serious off-roading yet, but I have gone on various off-road excursions since I got my Jeep (mud is nasty stuff to try and get out of a soft-top by the way) yet I still don't have any pictures. The problem is, once I'm actually off-roading, I generally don't stop to take pictures except for maybe a couple inside the vehicle. It's just way too much hassle for something you need to concentrate on while doing.

Sarkazein v2.0
Feb 19, 2001

All aboard the fiery inferno of Death!
Heres some various videos of my trip to Cape York from June last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKC_rPw16c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ms42_605OU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq-M4Vnbf8

My truck is a 1985 Toyota Bundera (Short Wheel Base Landcruiser)
340,000km on the clock, about 100,000 of that on the current engine
Powered by the venerable (lol) petrol 22R (carbie)
Cheap and nasty 33" Maxis Buckshot Mudders
PTO winch

Its screaming out for a 1UZ (probably be more fuel efficent than the 22R anyway) but whether I can be bothered pouring more money into it when its probably time I upgraded...well I can't answer that yet. I really dig SWB vehicles but some days I would really love a Hilux so I could sleep in the tray. On my Cape York trip I had to build an extension that folded down off the back door so I could sleep in the back. Worked okay, but not an ideal solution.

Sarkazein v2.0 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 29, 2008

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Havent been out in ages- But ive got a Toyota Diesel Hilux Dual Cab, 2.8D (about to be turfed for a 3.0L TurboDiesel :D) with 2" lift, Few goodies and some 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's

Thats one from back when it had the 30" Maxxis Buckshots on it

Take one nissan Patrol, Add Boghole

'

Take one Toyota Landcruiser, Add 3 Tonnes of Weight, Apply to sinky mud.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Toucan Sam posted:

My buddies truck, which got me out. I swear to god this truck is impossible to get to stuck without trying.

The only time I ever managed to get mine stuck was when I tried pushing wet snow while on ice after that blizzard we had a year ago. I managed to shove enough snow ahead of me to give the sidewalk (which i was 'plowing') a 4' frozen barrier. Iwouldn't have gotten stuck if I had locking differentials, but when a front wheel and a rear wheel are both on ice, things get annoying on an otherwise stock truck.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

These are from a few months ago, I still have some stuff hanging off the bottom of my truck.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Tom Collins posted:

It's a carb so the intake it actually pretty high up in the engine compartment, and he doesn't submerge it completely. there is no passenger window, so water gets in ALL THE TIME. Thankfully it's so much water no mold really grows.

As far as I know the air intake is completely stock, the only times he really kills it are when he's so vertical that the carb stops working.

The exhaust, as long as the engine is running the pressure should be enough to keep the water out no problem. (The only times you get water from the exhaust are when you are submerged and shut off the engine, sometimes there's enough backpressure to shoot it into the cylinders, or when you're back end is higher than your front end and you're submerged, completely.)

insanity74
Mar 2, 2005

With a simple point and shoot interface, even the most coordination-challenged geek can use it effectively.
Haven't been out to the pit since I moved away, but here's some old-ish ones

Poser shot, before the 14bff rear

Watch your head!

Out at the strip pit

After, before washing

I have a nice spot in the yard where I washed it, where the grass grows green and lustrous. Makes me wonder what was in that strip pit.

And, now I have to sell it. I never thought it would be so difficult to find a buyer for something like this.

Half_Breed
Feb 12, 2004
I wish we had a sub forum for 4x4. My truck got totaled in an accident last month and I got a Honda Accord. bah.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Havent been out in ages- But ive got a Toyota Diesel Hilux Dual Cab, 2.8D (about to be turfed for a 3.0L TurboDiesel :D) with 2" lift, Few goodies and some 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's

I would kill for a nice 4 door truck with a 3.0L turbo diesel. I really wish we got those in America.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Atmus posted:

The only time I ever managed to get mine stuck was when I tried pushing wet snow while on ice after that blizzard we had a year ago. I managed to shove enough snow ahead of me to give the sidewalk (which i was 'plowing') a 4' frozen barrier. Iwouldn't have gotten stuck if I had locking differentials, but when a front wheel and a rear wheel are both on ice, things get annoying on an otherwise stock truck.

How deep have you gone with that snorkel?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Uhhh, I don't have a snorkel on my truck. All I do with it is snow and light mud as i haven't done anything to it other than make it heavy and cheap.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
my Cherokee after a day out in the mud

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
My Cherokee at Uwharrie.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ACEofsnett posted:

Rare? Toyota front axles are incredibly cheap to come by. I've had 2 given to me. I use a spare birfield as a door stop.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Advent Horizon posted:

Rare? Toyota front axles are incredibly cheap to come by. I've had 2 given to me. I use a spare birfield as a door stop.

In addition to this, look for Jeep Wagoneer front axles. Correct width PLUS cheap and decent.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Ive had the hilux with its snorkie with water halfway up the windshield before - water was probably 1-1.2m deep?

Go diesel! go Snorkie! :D

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Advent Horizon posted:

^^^^^
(edit - that diesel highlux is drat sweet.)

Ah, you misunderstand. I'm not implying the axles themselves are rare - by no means. I'm just saying that they are rare as standard equipment in '91. I've looked at a few on Craigslist, but it's alot of work to contemplate on a $900.00 truck with some rust issues.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

They were never factory installed on '91 USDM Toyota pickups.

'79-'85 were the only years of the mini truck front axle in the USA.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

w1ntermute posted:

In addition to this, look for Jeep Wagoneer front axles. Correct width PLUS cheap and decent.

No, don't cut up my precious Wagoneers! They are becoming the new Scout.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

Instead i bought a $300 Explorer XLT. I pretty much drive it all the time right now but in the next couple months it won't be road legal due to bumper height so it will be a part time driver.

Right now it has 32x11.50 tires and a 3" body lift.

An Explorer with rocker panels? You'd never see those in :canada:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

No, don't cut up my precious Wagoneers! They are becoming the new Scout.

The only reason anyone ever cuts up a Wagoneer is to get rid of rust.

Usually by making the entire rig small enough to fit into a dumpster.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

w1ntermute posted:

The housings are a LOT stronger than Yota axle housings too :ssh:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

w1ntermute posted:

A lot of Nissan solid axle swaps use the Waggy D44 axle, too. They have a gear ratio that is pretty close to the stock Nissan rear, so that's a big plus. New gears for Nissan rears are wildly expensive.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Heres a trip I took last weekend out in the mountains towards big bear, it was a fun trip, full of desert, mud, and snow.

After 3 months, I figured it was time to bolt my skidguards back onto the truck. This trip was last minute for me, so I would up putting 150 lbs of this crap on at 2 am Friday morning in a middle of a rainstorm. Fun fun.

My truck was totally brown at one point but all the rain at the lower elevations washed most of it off. At least both sides of my truck have matching pinstripes now.

My friends tricked out 2006 Duramax, we were waiting for additional trucks to show up.

There was horizontal sleet and hail, then it cleared for 2 hours.

Once we got past 5700 ft we put on chains. I didn't have any so I aired down, I did ok with the stock MT Hmmwv tires. I'll be picking up a set of chains for myself soon.

The next morning we took off towards big bear on the back trails. Towards the end the snow was 2-3 feet deep and we were the first ones there, we put the heavy humvees in the front to plow the way for the rest of us, which caused a problem later on...

None of the paths were cleared, after we rolled through near a parking lot we started seeing lots of traffic following us, not realizing that we were the ones clearing the path with our trucks. An impatient jerk in a powerstroke ford blew past us, almost ran over one of the kids in the group, only to get to the front of the lineup to realize there was no path cleared. He sheepishly waited for us to pass and followed us for a bit then turned around and went back home.

Also saw a stuck volkswagon thing try to make it with street tires. Didn't get a picture though.

We bumped into this guy with his tricked out Jeep. It was a rubicon unlimited, with 37" wheels, double beadlocks with a air bag suspension system. We came across him in the morning while was helping out two teenagers.

:psyduck:

Two teenagers who thought it would be a good idea to go through BLM trails in a 2wd stock S10 pickup at 2am in the morning. The jeep pulled them out and they were waiting for more trucks to roll through the area [us] to pack down the path a bit so they could get back.

We got so far, stopped had lunch then headed back to a friends ranch for a bbq. Half of our group split off halfway down the mountain to help with vehicle extractions. A Jeep group was coming the other way, didn't want to wait for us to pass and decided to cut their own path to pass us. :argh: Tread Lightly indeed.

One of them blew their planetary and 4 of us helped them out. We managed to get the jeep in Neutral and tow it back to the highway. It took 6 hours because we kept encountering disabled vehicles.

I'll post some video later on, I don't have many pictures of some of the more interesting hills and switchbacks because I can't take pictures and drive at the same time. Next time I'll bring a cameraman along.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A civillian Hummer actually getting to do what it's supposed to do. Beautiful. :patriot:

I think it would have been comical, however, to have an H2 and an H3 tagging along and/or getting dragged along by the real Hummers :v: