Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

Jack_Handey posted:

The housings are a LOT stronger than Yota axle housings too :ssh:

You just need to be using the right housings. Land Cruiser housings are massive for their size. Mini truck housings fit inside 'cruiser housings.

I still bent mine. My avatar is eerily accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HR
May 14, 2007
Recreational Paranoia is the Sport of Now
Las Cruces, the Dona Anna side, a few years ago, with my Tj and my friend's taco in the background.

My Jeep and my goofy fraternity brother doing some undergrad research at Big Bend NP. Black Gap

33x12.5 BFGs, 3.5 Rancho springs rockcrawler sus.
I'm still happy that I haven't rolled her yet, hoping to get a front rollbar before Moab. AHHHHHH Poision SPider.

HR fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 31, 2008

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?
Well, its not 4WD, but it was the rainy season last week in the Middle East. Here is my work truck after treking through the mud bogs to a group of new buildings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?
Hmm, I also went offroading in the Omani desert with some friends and some rented land cruisers. Lots of fun, let me tell you. Oman has to have the best deserts in the world for this stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is there a reason early Ford Explorers are not used very much by you off-roader types? It seems like the 4.0L is fairly torquey and the front end is that twin I beam quasi solid axle? Why no love for these trucks? They are cheap to purchase from what I can tell.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
There are actually quite a few off road Explorers around, plus us explorer guys can use a lot of jeep suspension stuff. Here's what my Explorer aspires to be.

Quick vid of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWC8_RHOf0

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 31, 2008

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Those have to be the second-wimpiest hub lockouts I've ever seen.

The only wimpier ones being the stock ones on Bronco IIs and Rangers.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Those lock outs are on a full size '78 Bronco Dana 44 from curry enterprises. It's actually set up for a Jeep but it works fine in an Explorer. They're just full size Ford lock outs from what i remember. Instead of ordering from curry i'm having mine done locally.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That thing must be a lot bigger than I thought, it looked like a Dana 30 front end.

Edit: That can't be a '78 Bronco axle. It's way too narrow. And unless you're willing to throw entirely too much money at the '78 and '79 Ford half ton fronts, they're not worth narrowing.

You sure that's not a TJ front with lockouts?

Edit2: It looks high pinion...Could it be an XJ front?

Edit3: Okay, it doesn't look like a 30...EB 44?

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 31, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Here is what the front end has. This is pretty much my current build sheet also.

1978 Ford Bronco Dana 44, narrowed 6" by Currie Ent.
4.56:1 gears Detroit TrueTrac L/S
Passenger side Yukon Chromo shafts
Wild Horses 5.5" rock crawler springs
Rubicon Express RXT3210 14" travel shocks
Energy Suspensions bushing kit (7* c-wedges)
Early Bronco radius arms. Passenger side wristed
Sky Jacker extended radius arm / transmission crossmember mount
Explorer Pro Comp extended brake lines
1978 Full size disc brakes

Here's a better idea of the size, it rides on 36/12.50 TSL SXs.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I want to make my Explorer look like that.

gravypig
Dec 31, 2004

Hooker Pig says "Gravy please."
Here's a few shots I've taken when I go out with the 4x4 club.

CNC rigs at the NC State Fair last year. Pulling for the Demo Derby

Buddy Scott's Jeep

Rich's FJ Buggy

4Wheel Parts Grand Opening in Raleigh, NC

LS1 rock buggy. He had to stop going up the ramp because his right front tire was hitting the tire of the vehicle holding the ramp. It sounded sweet.

Brother's last rig/DD. The civic was on it's way to the dump.

Brother's new rig. '81 Toyota 22r double transfer cases, Ford 9" rear, Dana 40? front. We ditched the leaf springs and went with a 4 link setup and some nice long Fox Shocks. He has since added the winch mount and tied in the front with the rest of the exo cage.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

narrowed 6" by Currie Ent.

That explains it. The problem with those axles is that the radius arm mounts are integral with the tube. You can't narrow it without replacing the tubes. The average guy in his shop doesn't have the ability to do that properly, but Currie would (and they'd charge you a pretty penny for it).

If you're going to narrow it though, why not just go with a Wagoneer front 44? 61" wide, knuckles that are the best for hi-steer, and parts that can be found anywhere. Just need to get a set of 5 lug hubs off an '80's Ford F150 with TTB and it wouldn't need nearly the work. Of course, it would be low pinion, but that's stronger anyway.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Wagoneer axles are drat near impossible to find around here. I probably haven't even seen a Wagoneer in the wild in ten years. I have a local fabrication shop that is willing to narrow the Dana 44 i already have. The main reason i was going to use the Bronco axle is because it was a free takeoff from a Bronco i scrapped.

I would really prefer an axle that i could just put under it. I don't want a Dana 30 and finding a 44 in my area with the right track width is loving killing me. I have a buddy that wants my current 44 so maybe i'll just sell it to him and put my Rough Country 4" Suspension lift on with my current front axle until i start breaking poo poo regularly. Then i'll source my front and do my soa on the rear.

I actually have everything to fit my 35's except front gears and front locker.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I think this pretty much points out the fundamental problem with building a 4x4 these days: Almost all the good used parts were built 20+ years ago and have either been broken or scrapped by now. It's almost getting cheaper to start from scratch with an axle than trying to find a used one :(

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Yep, but i just got lucky i think. I just found a 86 Cherokee 4:10 axle without vacuum disconnect about 2 blocks from my work. I wanted a 4:56 to make it cheaper but i guess i got lucky in searching the 4:10. It's listed under Wagoneer which is what they were called in the '80's i think, not a Jeep guy. There are only two listed in the whole state.

Too many people list the Grand Wagoneer as a Wagoneer so that makes finding an axle even harder. Every one before this one ended up being a Grand Wagoneer axle when i went to check it out. Now as long as it's a Dana 44 i am back in business cheaper than i was before you made me search again. It better be a Dana 44, it's a decent price also. I can sell my Bronco axle for $200 and buy this one for the same price.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Why would you not want a Grand Wagoneer axle? That's the one that's the right size.

Also, in '86 there was an XJ rebranded as a Wagoneer. Dana 30 high pinion front end, 61" wide.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
83 was the last year for the FSJ Cherokee/Wagoneer. 84 and later was the XJ Cherokee/Wagoneer

The Grand Wagoneer was FSJ from 84-92 and ZJ after that.

Jeep and their God damned names ! :argh:

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
That explains why every one of them i looked at was the wrong size. I've looked at three of them so far and they were all Dana 30's. Not being a Jeep guy i have no idea what years i need to be looking at. Being a Ford guy Jeep stuff might as well be swahili. That's why i thought the big cushy station wagon would have Dana 30's and the more rugged small one would have big axles since you would be more likely to off road it.

EDIT - Found an 84 2:73 with selectrac but since i'm going to use ford spindles that's no biggie. I needed to buy gears anyways. It is the only one in my state so it's not like i have a choice.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 31, 2008

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Since I don't think there were any XJs with gears that high, I'd say that '84 would be good.

Just need to make sure it doesn't have the vacuum disconnect.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think 83 and 84 Seletrac had vacuum disconnect.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Advent Horizon posted:

Since I don't think there were any XJs with gears that high, I'd say that '84 would be good.

Just need to make sure it doesn't have the vacuum disconnect.

It's the only Grand Wagoneer axle in my state and i'm pretty sure selectrac is vacuum disconnect. Since i'm using a detroit locker, gears from Randy's ring and pinion, and Ford spindles can't i work around the vacuum disconnect? If not i'm getting my Bronco axle done or ordering one from currie so when i break my current front suspension one of these weekends i can put it in. Basically back to where i was starting, maybe there is a reason all the really built Explorers use this package.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

IOwnCalculus posted:

A civillian Hummer actually getting to do what it's supposed to do. Beautiful. :patriot:

drat right. As time passes the value on most of the trucks will drop to the point where normal people who will use these trucks as intended rather then people buying them for a status symbol.

A few friends on another forum picked up some cheaper early 90 Hummers for less then 20k, including a 2 door pickup model [rare, only 700-800 made total] for 16,000$. It's got the old 6.2 but its more reliable then the mid 90's 6.5 Turbos.

One of my friends just posted some better pictures of us out in the snow.

This is where we eventually wound up if you can find it on a map. I don't have the BLM data nearby.

Our group leader, making a trail for us through 2-3 feet of snow.

Uphill.

The snow got up to 2-3 feet, I got stuck in a spot where it was a 4 foot dip of soft snow, I slid sideways and I had too much friction on my side and bottom of the rig to get out in LL and using brake modulation on my limited slip diffs. I got strapped out by a guy behind me and took a higher line.

My friends rig, similar to my truck except he has better paint. He's got his truck tricked out with some nice features, it's running on airbags, with a second compressor. The CTI compressor for the tires is still stock, but the secondary compressor keeps the bags up as well as provide enough cfm and pressure to run his air tools from a chuck at the back of his rig.

A better rainbow picture then mine.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it would have been comical, however, to have an H2 and an H3 tagging along and/or getting dragged along by the real Hummers :v:

H3 is a neat truck, it did well in Baja, H2 has very good slope and approach ability, its just people buy those things as urban people movers then off road trucks. That and the H2 should have been a diesel since day one.

I mean hell, any h1 or hmmwv will get better fuel economy then an H2.

:argh: GM :argh:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

BigKOfJustice posted:

drat right. As time passes the value on most of the trucks will drop to the point where normal people who will use these trucks as intended rather then people buying them for a status symbol.

My buddy has an H1 Alpha. I have replaced three out of four doors and a hood since he bought it. It's an off road beast and he isn't afraid of some body damage to get where he wants to go off road. THe only time i ever saw it clean was the day it was delivered.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Toucan Sam posted:

It's the only Grand Wagoneer axle in my state and i'm pretty sure selectrac is vacuum disconnect. Since i'm using a detroit locker, gears from Randy's ring and pinion, and Ford spindles can't i work around the vacuum disconnect? If not i'm getting my Bronco axle done or ordering one from currie so when i break my current front suspension one of these weekends i can put it in. Basically back to where i was starting, maybe there is a reason all the really built Explorers use this package.

That might work. The vacuum disconnect axles had different length axle shafts (I think), so some lockers do not fit. Gears shouldn't be a problem and spindles wouldn't matter at all.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

Are you sure the Ford spindles will mount on the Waggy outer knuckles? I know the Waggy knuckles use the same spindle bolt pattern at Chevy stuff, but I vaguely recall Ford spindles using a different bolt circle or maybe a different diameter for the hole in the knuckle that the axle shaft passes through.

Regardless, it sounds like you can just use the Waggy/Chevy spindle and throw your Ford hub and rotor on it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/SolidAxleSwap.html

I'd have a real hard time keeping a straight face if I had to talk to a hummer owner that flew giant twin American flags on the trail. Didn't Bigfoot run that gimmick into the ground back in the 80's?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

-luke- posted:

Are you sure the Ford spindles will mount on the Waggy outer knuckles? I know the Waggy knuckles use the same spindle bolt pattern at Chevy stuff, but I vaguely recall Ford spindles using a different bolt circle or maybe a different diameter for the hole in the knuckle that the axle shaft passes through.

Regardless, it sounds like you can just use the Waggy/Chevy spindle and throw your Ford hub and rotor on it.

I'd have a real hard time keeping a straight face if I had to talk to a hummer owner that flew giant twin American flags on the trail. Didn't Bigfoot run that gimmick into the ground back in the 80's?

You're right on both counts, but I think it was USA-1 that did the flag thing more.

I think the ford spindles have a different bolt pattern, and don't they have a smaller bore too? I know their '60 spindles do.

If you want to see an oddball 44 look at the Dodge 1/2 ton units that are 5x4.5 with flat top knuckles and patterns that match, oh, NOTHING else.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its a pity you guys didnt get the LN106 series of hilux over in the US- NA diesel, Live, leaf sprung axles and a nice interior to boot!

Ive thought about upgrading mine to a later model, but i just love my live axle front end too much- after 1997, toyota stopped making live axle hilux's.

Im about to drop about AU$10K on a full engine conversion though. $5.5K for this
https://wi.somethingawful.com/a9/a9f358e448f7385bbf021870b153a6c60221bbae.jpg
Which is a 3.0L Turbo Diesel, Manual surf with 89,000kms on the clock.

it produces 89kw/289Nm (130hp/257Ft/Lb) and thats stock! Its a hell of a lot better than the old 2.8L engines 60kw/196Nm (80Hp/144Ft/Lb)!

If i intercool it, Add a 3" Mandrel bent exhaust and a little chip into the ECU, it should be very feasable to get 100kw at the rear wheels :D

My other toy is a 2000 prado 3.0L turbodiesel. That runs 265/75R16 BFG AT's, 2" of lift, and a bit of other touring goodness!
https://wi.somethingawful.com/97/97b9b9fb654c65dd9a656c9b1a2f47f8d62dbf2f.jpg

Thats what the thing looked like after a 5000km, 10 day trip into australias Red Centre (simpson, Sturt stony and Fink Deserts)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 26, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

-luke- posted:

The guys who run the big US / POW/MIA flags in our group are military or vets. Doesn't bother me either way, makes it easier to spot where they are.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

-luke- posted:

Thanks man, i'm going to check the cost rundown and see which way i should go.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Aw man I'm jealous of you guys with proper 4x4's. I get to do a bit of light offroading at work (pretty much just green laning) but it can become quite fun in a something that is just a front wheel drive jacked up supermini.

This the ford fusion I drive most of the time. 1.4 Diesel, and it's only concession to off road use is some unimpressive snow and mud tires on the front and decent ground clearance. It may not be the best vehicle on or off road but I've had way too much fun in it on both, not to mention a few o poo poo i'm in the middle of nowhere by myself with no phone reception please keep moving and don't get stuck moments.

We have a TD5 Landrover 90 at work too, but I'm not 25 yet so I'm not insured. :( Our fusion and transit can pretty much get anywhere we need to though, with a bit of patience and luck.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

What kind of GPS's do you guys run? I'm trying to narrow down a selection, I'm looking at Garmin and Lowrance. The street pilot stuff and the chart ploter/commercial versions of the units with topographical maps.

Trying to figure out what to get for the truck next, besides a light bar ( I can't safely do night runs with stock lights ) and a HAM/UHF/VHF radio unit.

I need something that can do both streets and topographical data.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

What kind of GPS's do you guys run? I'm trying to narrow down a selection, I'm looking at Garmin and Lowrance. The street pilot stuff and the chart ploter/commercial versions of the units with topographical maps.
Not sure if it would work in the US but I have a Road Angel 7000 with memory map software. It does speed cameras, normal sat nav and can display Ordnance Survey maps and routes imported from Memory Map PC software. I've used the OS maps for hillwalking and exploring country lanes, it worked well but for driving use it could do with a bigger screen.

I've also used Memory Map on a laptop with a cheap Garmin ETrex attached for navigation on a boat, which worked very well, might be an idea if you have room on your dash to strap a small laptop on.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BigKOfJustice posted:

Trying to figure out what to get for the truck next, besides a light bar ( I can't safely do night runs with stock lights ) and a HAM/UHF/VHF radio unit.

I need something that can do both streets and topographical data.

I use a Garmin 60csx which is a trail unit loaded with street and topo maps. I've got a cradle on my bike and switch between 24K scale topo maps and the street maps when I move off onto rough roads. Garmin's topo data is rather precise but you do have to deal with mapsource to get it into the unit.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PlasticSun posted:

I use a Garmin 60csx which is a trail unit loaded with street and topo maps. I've got a cradle on my bike and switch between 24K scale topo maps and the street maps when I move off onto rough roads. Garmin's topo data is rather precise but you do have to deal with mapsource to get it into the unit.

I have the same unit. I just have the topo maps right now, but they are great. I have two chips for it coming in the mail and I am going to load one with topo maps and one with street maps. I also need to mount it in the jeep somehow.

Edit: Just got the chips in the mail. Now to see if I have the money for the street maps.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 1, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I really wish I had the money to buy this ($640): Garmin Colorado 400t

Larger screen, longer battery life, more accurate, full 3D mapping, an entirely revamped interface (most of the controls are now wrapped into the new joystick) and tons of other awesome new features. If only they had a version (albeit more expensive) with a much larger screen so it could be more easily used in a vehicle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The King of Swag posted:

I really wish I had the money to buy this ($640): Garmin Colorado 400t

Larger screen, longer battery life, more accurate, full 3D mapping, an entirely revamped interface (most of the controls are now wrapped into the new joystick) and tons of other awesome new features. If only they had a version (albeit more expensive) with a much larger screen so it could be more easily used in a vehicle.

drat thats nice. I have to say though I'm pretty happy with my 60csx. Has anyone made a mount for their gps? Mounts are pretty pricy and I don't see why I can't build one. I just need to figure out a good design that will hold.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

BigKOfJustice posted:

:argh: GM :argh:

heh me and 6 of my friends drove up to Big Bear on Monday for a day of snowboarding. We rented a Grand Caravan and even with chains we had a little trouble getting up the mountain.

It was a great day of snowboarding and skiing, but I have to say that off-roading out there woulda been at least as fun :)

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
I know this isn't the best picture (because its actually a picture printed onto a mouse pad which was then scanned after the original was lost), and the truck itself is in a a very different vein than most of the rigs posted, but I thought I'd show you guys a picture of the the truck that got me interested in all types of things powered by internal combustion engines.

350 small block, TH400 trans, with axles out of a 6 1/2 ton military vehicle. This truck was a beast.

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

russ6570 posted:

I know this isn't the best picture (because its actually a picture printed onto a mouse pad which was then scanned after the original was lost), and the truck itself is in a a very different vein than most of the rigs posted, but I thought I'd show you guys a picture of the the truck that got me interested in all type of things powered by internal combustion engines.

350 small block, TH400 trans, with axles out of a 6 1/2 ton military vehicle. This truck was a beast

What happened to it?