Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Advent Horizon posted:

Mike? Looks like you live near Lake Otis and Tudor?

Call me when you get to Juneau.

Do I know you? And no, I used to work by there but I'm on Rabbit Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

Dividend Special posted:

Do I know you? And no, I used to work by there but I'm on Rabbit Creek.

Nope. I'm just loving creepy.

I recall you posting when you first moved up, under a different username.

Edit: Mike G. That was your username.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

murphle posted:

Obviously Forum Veteran = Off-Road God, don't you know that?

If 2x.120 isn't good enough, maybe I should be worried about the 1.5x.120 sliders we built for my brother's truck? They must qualify under Toucan Sam's "pretty boy poo poo" definition.

Oh wait, I forgot, it holds up just fine under normal usage.

A few years down the road they might get torn up enough to need replacing, but going any stouter on a wear item like rock sliders is probably just wasted weight.

Those look really good in those pictures, first pictures sucked. The first pictures didn't show the bracing, that's the part that had me concerned. Now that i see they are cross braced those are awesome. Sorry to jump on you but the original pics made them look like they had no bracing so they would bend directly into the body on a drop.

I really like them overall and am thinking of building a similar set for my Ex. Once again, sorry for assuming the worst, those new pics show what a i missed in the first set. I would still be cautious since those cross braces could hook a rock and hem you in but that would be a rare occurrence.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That second vehicle that you're praising the bracing on isn't the Land Cruiser you were originally talking about.

Land Cruiser = SUV
Mini truck = Pickup ;)

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Since i got quoted with pictures i figured they were the same type/build of sliders. I prefer flat heavy sliders under the rockers, thats all you actually need. If those are totally different slider builds, gently caress'em.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Advent Horizon posted:

That second vehicle that you're praising the bracing on isn't the Land Cruiser you were originally talking about.

Land Cruiser = SUV
Mini truck = Pickup ;)
Indeed, mine are also the same setup as far as mounting except mine use half inch plates sandwiching the frame rails in two spots per side plus a mount that uses a longer front control arm bolt and doubles as a guard for the control arm mount. I welded the sandwich plates to the frame for overkill because I got bored at work.
Mine are on the bottom.

I have cat guards as well, but it was too late for them, they're crushed and bent. I've got exhaust leaks from hell. Fuckit.

Toucan Sam posted:

I prefer flat heavy sliders under the rockers, thats all you actually need.
Pretty much, I just have too much money in my base vehicle to risk killing my doors as well.... and they've already paid for themselves in that respect since I slid in to a decent sized tree on an offcamber muddy hill today.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 13, 2008

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I like'em after seeing the new pictures. They give slide protection which is something most overlook.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Ok this is probably gonna piss people off. I drive a Range Rover but I really don't know poo poo about going offroad. Sometimes my friends and I get really bored of sitting around and drinking on sundays and we go gently caress around in this big field by my house.

Crushed cars and such out there.

Big puddles, what can't be seen is the steam coming out of the hood cause the previous puddle was so deep the entire front end went under water.

Go really really fast.

Doing its normal duty as a tow vehicle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
4 pages and no M35 love?

Not mine, but still....

SCREW YOU WATER CREATURES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug5zT8CCR-w
Someones jeep is probably in that mud pit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1K2r9OMfFo
Monster trucks have nothing on me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTjtIvU0jk
Okay...so they gut stuck too

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 13, 2008

stump
Jan 19, 2006

meltie posted:

:o: What do you do for work, where do you work, do you have any jobs going? :)
I'm a Hydrologist, We do river gauging, loch surveying and stuff, mostly for hydro power & drinking water suplies. We pretty much work all of Scotland, from the borders to shetland, although the company has done some stuff in Kosovo and Nepal but that was before my time.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

This is not nearly as fun when the ground is frozen and the mud pit is a sheet of ice.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CommieGIR posted:

4 pages and no M35 love?
Did you see this thread? I think we sold one or two there. Though not to the OP -- he wanted a pansy-rear end Cherokee.

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTjtIvU0jk
Okay...so they gut stuck too

Notice how the video cuts off abruptly? It was probably caused by the M35 flying out of the mudhole and running over the cameraman. (Actually, it looks like he may have hit a relatively solid spot and high-centered it.) In Vietnam, my dad tried and failed to get those stuck in holes that they lost little Jeeps in. Although he may have cheated by driving on top of the Jeeps.

Edit: I want one. Runs on any liquid that will burn, and you could carry a Cherokee in the back as an escape pod!

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 14, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

Did you see this thread? I think we sold one or two there. Though not to the OP -- he wanted a pansy-rear end Cherokee.

Notice how the video cuts off abruptly? It was probably caused by the M35 flying out of the mudhole and running over the cameraman. (Actually, it looks like he may have hit a relatively solid spot and high-centered it.) In Vietnam, my dad tried and failed to get those stuck in holes that they lost little Jeeps in. Although he may have cheated by driving on top of the Jeeps.

Edit: I want one. Runs on any liquid that will burn, and you could carry a Cherokee in the back as an escape pod!

Great. Now I'm tempted to shove my 1985 AMC Cherokee Laredo in the back of my M35 and go out for fun. Thanks a lot

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The video description says a Power Wagon pulled it out. THAT would be the ideal escape pod.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The video description says a Power Wagon pulled it out. THAT would be the ideal escape pod.

Pffft. You speak lies, surely this Power Wagon you speak of just 'helped'

Do not believe this mans crazy talk, he is surely crazy

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Just got back from the Outer Banks. It was a blast as usual. I know the trails seem kind of lame but I didn't take any pictures during the harder ones because, well, it's really hard to take pictures and hold on. All in all it was a good day and the only bummer was my buddy's diff breaking. The only thing he was pissed about was that it happened on the road and not on the trail.

Getting ready to roll out

Just some beach scenery

A very broken diff and a very expensive tow back home

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I ain't never been stuck

1973 IH Scout II, "Powerthrift" 258 I6, 4 speed mantran (unsynced 1st), Dana 44 rear and dana 30 front

No pictures of it in action since I'm always at the wheel, but I might be able to dig up some pictures of it covered in mud and grass. I've taken this thing through foot deep puddles and I've had the hubs buried in mud. Thing just crept right out. It needs lockers, but even with open diffs it manages to work its way out of anything I've put it through. I want to throw a 2" lift on it and some bigger tires. First and foremost is the engine though, it knocks and rattles and smokes, and manages to fire up everytime (except when the starter gets snowpacked and freezes). I want to either build another 258 and fuel inject it, or just get a FI 4.0 and rig that up somehow.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 18, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Is the 258 AMC?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Is the 258 AMC?

Sure is. Up until about 6 months ago, it didn't even exist in the parts stores computers. IF I needed anything engine related (cap, rotor, fuel pump etc), I had to order it for an IH 1100 pickup

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

DELETED, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a manual steering box for a Scout II cheap, would you?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know if it has a different number of turns lock-to-lock than the power assisted gearbox? (Edit: trouser chili, you wouldn't happen to know either, would you?)

renraku posted:

A very broken diff and a very expensive tow back home

I can't understand why people transplant 10 bolts into anything.

Edit2: I'm a loving idiot. I counted 6 lugs the first time. Durr.

I can't understand why anybody thought the Dana 35 was a good idea in the first place.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 18, 2008

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Advent Horizon posted:

DELETED, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a manual steering box for a Scout II cheap, would you?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know if it has a different number of turns lock-to-lock than the power assisted gearbox? (Edit: trouser chili, you wouldn't happen to know either, would you?)

Can't help you on either count, sorry :( I've been looking for a good one myself, mine has a good 6-8" of play. There was a local junkyard that had a Travel-all and an SII I wanted to look at but they up and moved and crushed all their cars :argh: I know an old IH guy who used to work on and own all kinds of Harvesters. I'll try and get ahold of him to see if he knows

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Advent Horizon posted:

I can't understand why people transplant 10 bolts into anything.

Edit2: I'm a loving idiot. I counted 6 lugs the first time. Durr.

I can't understand why anybody thought the Dana 35 was a good idea in the first place.

Yeah, he's using this as an excuse to upgrade. He just never got around to it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

DELETED posted:

Can't help you on either count, sorry :( I've been looking for a good one myself, mine has a good 6-8" of play. There was a local junkyard that had a Travel-all and an SII I wanted to look at but they up and moved and crushed all their cars :argh: I know an old IH guy who used to work on and own all kinds of Harvesters. I'll try and get ahold of him to see if he knows

Yours is manual? Are they rebuildable? Are there even parts available?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Advent Horizon posted:

Yours is manual? Are they rebuildable? Are there even parts available?

Yes, yes and yes. Gates makes a steering gear rebuild kit for my 73, part #350350. I'm sure they're all the same but if you want I might be able to check your year.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I don't own a scout ;)

It just so happens that (IMO), the best/strongest power steering conversion for my FJ40 uses a Scout box. Mounts outside the frame, pitman arm faces forward.

I have a power assisted box (tripped over it freshly dumped in a gravel pit. Score!), but a potential future plan calls for a manual gearbox later. In such a case, I'd need one to replace the power unit.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Advent Horizon posted:

I don't own a scout ;)

It just so happens that (IMO), the best/strongest power steering conversion for my FJ40 uses a Scout box. Mounts outside the frame, pitman arm faces forward.

I have a power assisted box (tripped over it freshly dumped in a gravel pit. Score!), but a potential future plan calls for a manual gearbox later. In such a case, I'd need one to replace the power unit.

Haha, well it looks like the rebuild kit might be a little more price-friendly, it's about $40 vs a new manual steering box, which for some reason is about $100 more than a power steering box

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Anyone in Socal go to the Calico Cleanup event this weekend?

Picked up lots of trash/junk and target practice leftovers in the high desert, inadvertently took a different route back and according to the BLM and local clubs we were the first H1's and HMMWV's to navigate Odessa Canyon [:psyduck:] , we had a big crowd watching and I'm trying to find additional pictures and video, since I was more occupied driving through the washed out trail and cliff faces then documenting things.

Time for new rock sliders and rocker panel guards while I'm at it :). I'll see if I can post some youtube/photos later.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

DELETED posted:

Haha, well it looks like the rebuild kit might be a little more price-friendly, it's about $40 vs a new manual steering box, which for some reason is about $100 more than a power steering box

How much do the power steering boxes cost? (trying to get an estimate on costs for both that and a manual box)

Given how much the project I hope to do will eventually cost, I suspect buying a manual steering box will be a drop in the bucket. The problem is I don't want to count on the availability of old parts years in the future. So I'm always on the hunt for parts I doubt I'll need within the next 10 years :)

Anyone know how well this would turn tires off road?
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=356/prd356.htm

Edit: Anyone know if Astro vans ever came with manual steering?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Advent Horizon posted:

How much do the power steering boxes cost? (trying to get an estimate on costs for both that and a manual box)

The PS box is about $200 with a $75 core return and the manual is $285 with a $55 core.

Here's a couple more pics I dug up

Cruisin the river (excuse the crappy cell phone picture)after removing the roof

gently caress yo couch

Just after we got done installing bucket seats

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Scouts are pretty cool. I've love to get a truck with stick and a granny gear.
Those earlier Scouts had a wide-ratio tranny and no granny, right?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Scouts are pretty cool. I've love to get a truck with stick and a granny gear.
Those earlier Scouts had a wide-ratio tranny and no granny, right?

All years with the 4 speed had a grany gear. Scout 80s and Scout IIs up until 1975 (such as mine) had a T18 4 speed with an unsynced first gear with a ratio of 4.02:1, and 1975 and up models had a T19 with a synchronized first gear. Ratio on that was like 6.32:1, so it's definitely a lot smaller. 75 was a mix year, so those could have either/or. I can take first gear out to about 15mph on mine, so it's not too short for getting around town if you have to take off quickly from a stop. Also, the transfer case plays a big role, the Dana 20 was used up until 1980, which is the last year of the scout. Those are sought after because they have the Dana 300 with has a 2.62 low gear VS the Dana 20s 2.00. Even with my "wide" ratio set-up, 4th gear tops out at about 30 in low.

Note also that there is a T19A transmission offered for 75 and up that has a taller 1st gear but closer gear ratios.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I think that Stak is manufacturing a billet Dana 300 casing with the Scout 'Texas' bolt pattern now. You just deposit all the guts from a jeep 300 (or get all new aftermarket parts!) and put them in the casing, rather than tracking down a rare-as-hell Scout 300.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
4:1 is kinda wimpy for a granny gear. I've always thought of a granny gear as being extremely low. Maybe my jargon is wrong.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

4:1 is kinda wimpy for a granny gear. I've always thought of a granny gear as being extremely low. Maybe my jargon is wrong.

Yeah, the earlier trannies don't have as short a gear as the later ones, but the 258's torque curve is flatter than a white girl's rear end and starts just off idle. I've recovered and towed vehicles, yanked out stumps, hauled trailers, removed a railroad tie cemented in the ground, and even used it as a ghetto frame straightener when my friend smashed the front end of his truck up. I haven't really encountered any situations where I would need a shorter 1st gear. From what I have heard the T18 is straight cut instead of helical cut. A lot stronger and the whine of the gears sounds kinda cool I guess.

One cool perk about ome Scouts/IHCs (mine included) is the stock hand throttle. It's simple a knob on the dash with a cable connected to the accelerator pedal. It's really useful for climbing when you get into a situation where you need 3 feet. Brake and clutch, use the hand throttle to raise the RPMS a bit and then let the clutch out.

Where are all the other IHCs at? I know there are a couple more rusting around AI...

In other news, I just recieved a manual hub conversion kit and a set of Warn locking hubs for my '94 explorer. It's pretty much stock with nearly 200,000 miles, but the crappy automatic hubs broke ages ago. I'm hoping to get those installed this weekend and restore it's status as a 4wd. The stock atuo hubs are supposed to engage when the t-case engages the front drive gears, but somehow Warn and Ford didn't quite look all the way into their plan and used a nylon cam system. They don't really hold up to much abuse at all, in fact it seems that simply using them as directed for normal winter driving causes them to fail. The new Warn stuff is made out of metal and looks like it should stand up to a little fun.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Just an FYI, helical cut gears are stronger than straight cut gears.

Yes, they get deflection, but the individual 'teeth' are far larger.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Advent Horizon posted:

Just an FYI, helical cut gears are stronger than straight cut gears.

Yes, they get deflection, but the individual 'teeth' are far larger.

Hm. So, why is my LR's 1st straight-cut?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Probably because it was cheaper and/or easier to design.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The impact stress of straight cut gears is what makes them weaker, I think. Helical gears have teeth that contact gradually, so the impact stress is distributed more evenly. Low speed applications wouldn't see much impact stress. Straight cut gears also transfer power better, which is what is important for low gears.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Advent Horizon posted:

You need to talk to Leon. He's the guy that runs IH-Farms, an IH-only salvage yard here in the Bi-state area. He's my go-to guy for questions and parts requests like this. Best way I know to get ahold of him these days is to email him. Otherwise I should see him in early March at the club meeting.
Give this a shot: ihfarms at netwitz.net Tell him Jeffro from the BiState Binders sent ya.

I'd bet he's got a couple of manual boxes laying around.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

DELETED posted:

In other news, I just recieved a manual hub conversion kit and a set of Warn locking hubs for my '94 explorer. It's pretty much stock with nearly 200,000 miles, but the crappy automatic hubs broke ages ago. I'm hoping to get those installed this weekend and restore it's status as a 4wd. The stock atuo hubs are supposed to engage when the t-case engages the front drive gears, but somehow Warn and Ford didn't quite look all the way into their plan and used a nylon cam system. They don't really hold up to much abuse at all, in fact it seems that simply using them as directed for normal winter driving causes them to fail. The new Warn stuff is made out of metal and looks like it should stand up to a little fun.

Did you get the Explorer hubs or the stronger Jeep hubs? I ordered the Jeep hubs when i got mine, still haven't put them on though.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm