Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

I may actually have a team again. I happened to notice that the league director is someone new. I emailed him and immediately got a response saying that a team just lost their goalie and that I'm now it starting tomorrow. Hooray!

We'll see how it goes touching ice for the first time in three months in a game situation.

I also now have a GoPro to throw behind the net. Titanium, do you use the standard suction cup mount for the behind net cam or something else?

Nice, sometimes long breaks are good for the game as long as your up for the exercise.

Yeah standard suction mount on the gopro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
Hi goaltard goonbros, just found this thread and it's the bees knees. Let's get right to it!

New toys! As you can see, my original model custom Brian's beasts are quite dated, but man I loved them. Figured it's time for an upgrade since i've been getting back on the ice more and more in the past month here, really desperate to find a team to get on been playing drop in hockey left and right wherever I can. I found a real nice deal on these bauer one70's for about 210 on goalie monkey clearance. The colors are poo poo, the size is insane (36+1) but I thought, whats the big deal if they really dont fit at all send them back and keep hunting for used stuff on goalie gear sluts and stuff.

They were supposed to arrive last Friday, they didn't. I played pickup that night in the beasts and took a loving slapshot from the slot directly to my right knees ball bag. That hurt a lot. Stayed on for the rest of the session but couldn't really do anything except stand there moaning. Pads showed up monday, and dammit they are so massive. I think they reach my armpits. Strapping up, knee is dead center, butterfly (or my fat old guy attempts at it) directly into the knee stack. Confusing, but dammit i'll run with it.

So I had a pick up game last night, stopped at pure hockey on my way home and picked up some Bauer max supreme mega tank abrams m1 knee pads. Monstrous. Fit okay in the pads, haven't ever used them either way so I didnt notice a difference.

Holy poo poo these pads slide so loving easily. I know i'm using a 200 dollar bottom of the barrel pair of pads, but coming from a pad that came out when the vaughn velocities had JUST hit the market and were super new technology, it was like stepping into a ferrari. I was oversliding all over, legs slipping out...but it was super fun. Cons, have to relearn how to play the game in them almost, I wasted 7 dollars on a pure hockey skate sharpening on my 15 year old skates that just basically made them dull as rocks. Also either the pads being so tall or the knee pads being so monstrous, I coudln't really fully extend my leg while the puck wasn't around me, so my quads were kind of burning off.

What should I be telling them for a cut that's sharp enough to push around with on the ground but not so sharp i'm going to die catching my edges all over? This post is long and a tldr bullshit story but i'm pumped to be playing again and i'm in the FUTURE now.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

smashtcrusht posted:

What should I be telling them for a cut that's sharp enough to push around with on the ground but not so sharp i'm going to die catching my edges all over? This post is long and a tldr bullshit story but i'm pumped to be playing again and i'm in the FUTURE now.

Earlier in the thread I was told to start at 5/8" and go up or down from there.
How thick are your blades, 4mm?

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

Spookydonut posted:

Earlier in the thread I was told to start at 5/8" and go up or down from there.
How thick are your blades, 4mm?

Bro i'd be lying if I said I had a clue. They are old Bauer reactor 3000s from highschool. I see options on some new skates to get 3mm or 4mm, guess I dont even know what the difference would be. Scrolling up I see your convo about it, seems like a good starting point.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
They should be 4 mm blades, the 3 mm blades didn't come into use until the One100s. The old standard goalie cut for skates was 1", which is really dull, but good if you like shuffling all the time. Now 1/2" seems to be pretty standard for goalies and I know some goalies who go as sharp as 1/4". The difference now is that goalies do a lot of butterfly slides and explosive movements from a down position, so they like having sharper blades to dig into the ice and get a stronger push. 5/8" would be a good middle ground, still fairly sharp, but shuffling isn't too much of a problem.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

Aniki posted:

They should be 4 mm blades, the 3 mm blades didn't come into use until the One100s. The old standard goalie cut for skates was 1", which is really dull, but good if you like shuffling all the time. Now 1/2" seems to be pretty standard for goalies and I know some goalies who go as sharp as 1/4". The difference now is that goalies do a lot of butterfly slides and explosive movements from a down position, so they like having sharper blades to dig into the ice and get a stronger push. 5/8" would be a good middle ground, still fairly sharp, but shuffling isn't too much of a problem.

Thank you! I'll be trying the 5/8 and let you know if I snap my legs off.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I actually just got a new cut from a friend of mine, he goes a little sharper than I do, but I got a 1/2" with a high outside edge and a flattened toe. I tried it for the first time Thursday night, and oh man is it a great cut. You can still shuffle insanely easily with the high outside edge, and still get solid bite with this inside at a 1/2". Plus with the flat toe, you can get a good grip there all the time. My buddy goes either 7 or 5/16" and I think that wouldn't be too adverse for most people, since the high outside still gives you a soft enough edge that you don't catch an edge often. Once I get used to the cut (which probably won't take long), I'll prolly go down to either 7/16 or 3/8.

I highly recommend it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I personally go with 1/2" for the past year. I used to love 5/8 but I still kept finding myself needing that extra bite for pushing while in the butterfly.

aejix posted:

Wow, didn't know that they could bend on softer shots. Maybe it was a puck after all! Good to know I'm not risking anything too serious by playing tonight with it but yeah I'll be ordering a replacement and another spare soon. Thanks guys.

I have multiple dings in my cage just from deflections. As a matter of fact, last game I had a deflected slapshot shatter my dangler and leave a hell of a bruise on my clavicle just below the soft part of my neck. That was easily my scariest moment goaltending. In good news I have a new dangler already and my Ritual G2s should be arriving sometime in the near future...maybe.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I actually just got a new cut from a friend of mine, he goes a little sharper than I do, but I got a 1/2" with a high outside edge and a flattened toe. I tried it for the first time Thursday night, and oh man is it a great cut. You can still shuffle insanely easily with the high outside edge, and still get solid bite with this inside at a 1/2". Plus with the flat toe, you can get a good grip there all the time. My buddy goes either 7 or 5/16" and I think that wouldn't be too adverse for most people, since the high outside still gives you a soft enough edge that you don't catch an edge often. Once I get used to the cut (which probably won't take long), I'll prolly go down to either 7/16 or 3/8.

I highly recommend it.

So what you're saying is a flat toe as in both edges are 1/2" and the rest of the outside edge is a normal duller cut? I think the dingdong at the rink might have his brain melt if I ask him for something like this.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

smashtcrusht posted:

So what you're saying is a flat toe as in both edges are 1/2" and the rest of the outside edge is a normal duller cut? I think the dingdong at the rink might have his brain melt if I ask him for something like this.

Basically, yes. You probably need a goalie or a guy who really knows how to cut to do īt.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
New team! Hooray!

First game: Three skaters show up and we forfeit. The scrimmage went well enough for my first time on the ice in months. I wasn't following the puck into my catcher very well, so there were lots of pop outs. Movement was good. My cardio is a disaster.

Second game: Five skaters! That's just enough for us to get stomped 9-3 against a good team with ten skaters. I had a lot of impressive looking desperation saves that should be clean recoveries if I'm playing well. A few of the goals were bad rebounds I left for wide open people that our tired D didn't cover, so we'll both get better there. I had forgotten how much fun low glove side shots are in a league where the shots are so slow that getting your stick on them is not enough to kick a rebound into the corner. I remember actually having time to think, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO CONTROL THIS REBOUND, as a shot came in that lead to a rebound goal.

The good news is that the league director has promised more players, and the team is happy with my play so far. There's a local goalie coach that does private coaching early in the mornings. I think I'll have to shoot him an email and schedule a session even though my cardio is so terrible that I'll probably die.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I got a call to sub for an A league team today. We lost 15-10 in what is apparently a common score for this team. I was not surprised with the outcome, given their total lack of defense, though there were definitely three or four goals that I'd want back.

The surprise was that they asked me to be their regular goalie. I told them that it was fun, but they're probably better off finding a better goalie. I'm not sure that playing for an all-offense-all-the-time team in the top league would be good for my game anyway.

It sounds like they're going to call me to sub again next week and may keep calling me until I give in and join the team.

Funny how you can go from not having any play time at all to turning down teams.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

ManicJason posted:

I'm not sure that playing for an all-offense-all-the-time team in the top league would be good for my game anyway.

Maybe it won't help your tactical play, but you'd sure get a lot of shot-stopping practice.

When I switch from my regular team (which can't spell defence let alone play it) to scrimmaging with actual competent defenders, I find myself wasting energy on things like cross-crease slides only to find my D has cleaned it up and it's on it's way out of the zone, etc. That said, playing goalie in the best league I can get, even though my D resembles a dumpster fire on the blueline, has taught me a shitload about saving shots and either holding them, or rebounding to the corners. It really depends on if you want to get better at raw shot-stopping or the more strategic/tactical end of things.

(NB: I play floorball goalie, not ice hockey - similar concepts though)

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
I can't seem to get my new cheap piece of poo poo new kid style one70's to close up flat and tight in my lovely zero flexibility butterfly. I'm sure pictures would help and i'll get some later tonight, but when I go down the thigh rises come together, but kind of pull up off the ice an inch or so...

I tried pulling the thigh straps tight, then loose, then not even on, and they're still doing it. My first new set of pads in over 14 years or so, feeling kind of stupid about it !!! Other than this problem, they fit great, are super light, I slide all over the loving place like a maniac now and will have to figure out how to do butterfly pushes and backside pushes and all that poo poo, but i'm enjoying them so far. So fancy so new. Help goalbros.

Edit: Also, i'm cruising around maria mountains poo poo and trying to find the right way to articulate what area i'm really trying to stretch out more, getting my feet flat out to the sides when i'm down. I am explaining this horribly, but when I butterfly or go down at all, getting my feet perpendicular to the ice is hard, they're more at an angle than flat against it...is this just a case of sitting around at home in my knee pads torquing my feet out?

smashtcrusht fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

smashtcrusht posted:

I can't seem to get my new cheap piece of poo poo new kid style one70's to close up flat and tight in my lovely zero flexibility butterfly. I'm sure pictures would help and i'll get some later tonight, but when I go down the thigh rises come together, but kind of pull up off the ice an inch or so...

I tried pulling the thigh straps tight, then loose, then not even on, and they're still doing it. My first new set of pads in over 14 years or so, feeling kind of stupid about it !!! Other than this problem, they fit great, are super light, I slide all over the loving place like a maniac now and will have to figure out how to do butterfly pushes and backside pushes and all that poo poo, but i'm enjoying them so far. So fancy so new. Help goalbros.

Edit: Also, i'm cruising around maria mountains poo poo and trying to find the right way to articulate what area i'm really trying to stretch out more, getting my feet flat out to the sides when i'm down. I am explaining this horribly, but when I butterfly or go down at all, getting my feet perpendicular to the ice is hard, they're more at an angle than flat against it...is this just a case of sitting around at home in my knee pads torquing my feet out?

Try reducing the number of straps you're using, and loosening up all of them. Gotta get that rotation going.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

Spookydonut posted:

Try reducing the number of straps you're using, and loosening up all of them. Gotta get that rotation going.

Wondering if I should just remove the velcro'd in knee locks since i'm using gigundo knee pads anyways. The velcro wrap on them seems very tight.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Going through the same pain as you with a pair of Simmons UL5 (Velocity 3 knockoffs).

Advice I have been given is to wear the knee lock as loose as possible (I've gone one further and taken it off altogether), loosen up the boot strap too and have 2" of slack for the toe ties.

I've also gone to wearing the knee flap strap fairly loose too and when I first put them on in the room I'll drop into a butterfly and see if I can feel any tension in the calf straps (or others) anywhere and loosen them off accordingly. Seems to be working so far - not quite full rotation but definitely getting there and I can physically pull the pad round to full rotation so I know I'm on the right track.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

smashtcrusht posted:

I'm not quite sure if that would be a technique or range of motion issue. Are you feeling any tightness anywhere when you are butterflying? In general for butterflying, you want to focus on hips (hip flexors, hip internal rotation, and your IT band). Try using a foam roller on your IT band (if you don't have access to one, then a Lacrosse ball can work) and a really good hip flexor stretch is a kneeling lung. Put one knee on the ground (you can use padding if necessary), lunge forward with your other leg and hold that stretch for 30 seconds and if the stretch starts to dissipate then lean forward a little more until you feel the stretch again. You can do that for up to 3 sets of 30 seconds per side. There are other hip stretches that you can do, but she does a lot better job of explaining them than I can.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Go onto her site and sign up for the 14 day butterfly challenge. It's free, gives you a routine of stretches to do in exchange for being added to her mailing list which gets you even more exercises to do for free.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I forgot to mention that one of the 15 goals in my disaster game was a penalty shot from when one of my defensemen caught the puck in the crease and threw it into the corner. The ref called it two minutes until the other team badgered him into the correct call.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Holy poo poo, this reddit goalie. This is the most shameful display of beer league tending I've ever seen. He's got vids of him hacking at guys and trying to fight dudes who are unstable cause of the level he's playing at and bumping into him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEPS_a5Aubs

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

what a clown. Just fix the net.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I got a call to sub for an A league team today. We lost 15-10 in what is apparently a common score for this team. I was not surprised with the outcome, given their total lack of defense, though there were definitely three or four goals that I'd want back.

The surprise was that they asked me to be their regular goalie. I told them that it was fun, but they're probably better off finding a better goalie. I'm not sure that playing for an all-offense-all-the-time team in the top league would be good for my game anyway.

It sounds like they're going to call me to sub again next week and may keep calling me until I give in and join the team.

Funny how you can go from not having any play time at all to turning down teams.

I'd say go for it. Worst case, you guys lose a some games but they know it's not your fault. The more likely case is you'll see a ton of shots and any bad habits you had picked up will be exploited which'll hopefully help you correct them. I've played on a few teams like this and I feel I got a lot better because of it. Bonus if they're also a fun group to hang out with before and/or after.

I'll put my $0.02 for Maria Mountain. I've been using the older RRGT program and it has improved my flexibility immensely. She knows what she's talking about.

As for that Redditor, this is just shameful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlOEzvTgrc

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 30, 2014

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

I'd say go for it. Worst case, you guys lose a some games but they know it's not your fault. The more likely case is you'll see a ton of shots and any bad habits you had picked up will be exploited which'll hopefully help you correct them. I've played on a few teams like this and I feel I got a lot better because of it. Bonus if they're also a fun group to hang out with before and/or after.
I'd be more inclined to agree if I didn't have a horrible experience in the exact same league a year ago. I picked up a spot on a horrible team, and my game completely fell apart over the next two months. I started changing things in my game to try to get better at the A league, then got worse and worse at my normal league. I ended up getting replaced on all three teams.

I feel just fine sticking to the C team I'm on now where I have some hope of stealing an occasional game instead of aiming to be barely adequate.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 30, 2014

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

I'd be more inclined to agree if I didn't have a horrible experience in the exact same league a year ago. I picked up a spot on a horrible team, and my game completely fell apart over the next two months. I started changing things in my game to try to get better at the A league, then got worse and worse at my normal league. I ended up getting replaced on all three teams.

I feel just fine sticking to the C team I'm on now where I have some hope of stealing an occasional game instead of aiming to be barely adequate.

Play on the A league team, you'll get better for facing better shots. 100% play on it because they asked you if they're not happy they can find someone else but this is good experience. I am a little surprised at the goal count being typical on a full sheet though, either way you should do it.

Played the 3v3 rink last night with the helmet cam going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSCRBR2KRg

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I got asked to sub in a B league last night. The end of this story is that I do not belong in a B league. The team I was playing for probably doesn't either, but yikes, was it bad. Two breakaway goals in the first 30 seconds to start it off, and the team just wouldn't shoot. Every goal was either a breakaway/2on1 or a pass/one-timer that always came after 7-15 passes before it. By the third period, my legs were shaking and I could barely function. The worst part was that I stopped all 6 or so actual shots they took. The only just plain shot that went in was through a crazy screen.

Final score: 16-5

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
So after changing strapping with each skate, i've ended up just basically LOOSE AS gently caress on all fronts, and I am wearing my spandex over my bauer supreme knee pads. Not sure if this is ideal, but the pads are rotating nice and smooth and everything felt great. Also tied a few knots into the toe tie as suggested. Possibly look into getting those nice thin hockey socks and a garter? But then i'll have like 600 layers of crap on. Hard being cool and new equipment guy.

Goaliemonkey is having a 20% off clearance bauer gear currently...probably pulling the trigger on skates since my 500 year old Bauer supreme 3000's aren't holding an edge or letting my fat rear end push while down at all.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Glad you've fixed your rotation woes - careful not to go too loose that you're not falling out the knee cradle - knee pads or no knee pads as I've found out it sucks going into the butterfly and driving your knees directly into the ice. I just wear crew cut skate socks - I find my pads rotate better against my underarmour than against the knee high versions. You should be able to wear your kneepads over your leggings without it interfering with your rotation but I guess this is all just personal preference.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

Zip! posted:

Glad you've fixed your rotation woes - careful not to go too loose that you're not falling out the knee cradle - knee pads or no knee pads as I've found out it sucks going into the butterfly and driving your knees directly into the ice. I just wear crew cut skate socks - I find my pads rotate better against my underarmour than against the knee high versions. You should be able to wear your kneepads over your leggings without it interfering with your rotation but I guess this is all just personal preference.

I'm going to try it this week over the leggings and with the loose strapping and see if that works. It was really uncomfortable under the leggings. So sweaty.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Something that I did last week when I was getting ready which really worked was to put my pads on their sides, then tie my toe ties and then climb into them and do them up that way. I found it really easy to feel how loose my pads needed to be to stay fully rotated and they were then great out on the ice.

As for your knee pads they're similar to mine (Reactors rather than Supremes) and they do a very good job of staying where they need to be over my underarmour leggings so you shouldn't have much trouble either.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

nahanahs posted:

I got asked to sub in a B league last night. The end of this story is that I do not belong in a B league. The team I was playing for probably doesn't either, but yikes, was it bad. Two breakaway goals in the first 30 seconds to start it off, and the team just wouldn't shoot. Every goal was either a breakaway/2on1 or a pass/one-timer that always came after 7-15 passes before it. By the third period, my legs were shaking and I could barely function. The worst part was that I stopped all 6 or so actual shots they took. The only just plain shot that went in was through a crazy screen.

Final score: 16-5

Honestly that sounds like your team more than anything. I had a game like that somewhat recently. Their goals included what would've been a one timer, but the guy had all the time in the world to take the puck and deke to score. The others were breakaways and only one kinda bad goal where he shot from a decent scoring area over my shoulder. We ended up winning 5-4 though and I stopped a few breakaways and got a really lucky breakaway plus rebound save that they claimed went in (the ref asked me if it went in and I said no because I never saw it go in).

Anyhow it happens and when the score is that lopsided it's clearly not entirely you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I haven't posted much about my concussion here, but my recovery has been going well. I have been symptom free for around 3 weeks and I resumed exercising a few weeks ago without my symptoms returning (started off light and we've been slowly ramping up my workouts since then). I had an MRI of my brain last week and had a follow up appointment with my neurologist last Friday. The good news is that my MRI came back as unremarkable, meaning that no brain damage or abnormalities were detected. The bad news is that my doctor hasn't strayed from his recommendation that I am done for the year. The issue for me isn't the severity of the concussion, since they have all be mild, but the issue is that I have had two concussions in 6-months, so I am in a higher risk group right now.

I have arranged long term subs to take over both of my teams for the summer and then I'll reevaluate things around August or September*, but there is no reason to rush into any decisions at this point. One thing that my neurologist friend recommended is transitioning over to forward. Obviously there is still a risk of concussions skating out, but it can be less dangerous than playing goal and I could probably start going to beginners clinics in a couple months. Has anyone here made that transition or have experience playing both goalie and out and if so, what advice do you have?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 8, 2014

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
My opinion is you have a way higher chance of crushing your melon skating out. You're gonna be on your rear end over teakettle game getting used to player skates as it is, player helmets seem to be a bit of a joke and it's way easier to go down and really smoke yourself.
I do a bit of both and I'm on the ice playing out way more. Not to be a discouraging rear end but saying you have less chance playing a position you're not used to that actually is way more risky for head trauma just from the speed of the game let alone checking falling slipping etc.
I've had a few concussions over the years, always while playing out and going into the boards. ;( what kind of bucket are you wearing / were you wearing

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
That's what happened to me cause of my knee. I am mostly skating out nowadays since I hurt my knee. I only play net if our goalie is injured or something. I started playing hockey as a defense man and it made me a natural center. So now when I skate out I can play offense or defense. If you have never skated out at all play a wing. Less defensive responsibility and generally your mistakes aren't as bad since it should be covered by your center, dman and goalie. If you keep your head up when you play you should be fine at avoiding collisions but once in a while you will take a thump or two. For me my biggest issues are just skating hard into a corner either on the offense or back check. You can't control what the other guy is going to do naturally.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

smashtcrusht posted:

My opinion is you have a way higher chance of crushing your melon skating out. You're gonna be on your rear end over teakettle game getting used to player skates as it is, player helmets seem to be a bit of a joke and it's way easier to go down and really smoke yourself.
I do a bit of both and I'm on the ice playing out way more. Not to be a discouraging rear end but saying you have less chance playing a position you're not used to that actually is way more risky for head trauma just from the speed of the game let alone checking falling slipping etc.
I've had a few concussions over the years, always while playing out and going into the boards. ;( what kind of bucket are you wearing / were you wearing

Switching to a position that I am unfamiliar with is definitely a concern for me. I'm not sure if I'll have an aptitude for skating out or not, so realistically, I would need to go stick times and beginners clinics and see if I can develop a comfort level as a skater. My friend, who did make the transition from goalie to defense, did say that style of play is a huge factor in the relative safety of skating out and he also felt it could limit the number of impacts that I take to my head.

I have noticed player helmets do seem kind of crappy. Obviously, they are designed for different types of impacts than goalie masks, but that is something that I would need to look into.

As for my mask, I have a custom made mask, though I feel like I messed up the facial mold that I sent the mask maker and I have never been happy with how the chin fits in that mask. I know that fit is a very important factor in how protective a mask is, so I have been having some conversations with Jerry Wright lately about ordering a mask from him. My thought process is that when I return to net, I want to be as comfortable and confident in my gear as possible. The only hangup that I have at this point is whether I should order the mask from him now or wait until I am closer to being able to return to net.

As for returning to net, I do have two neurologists on one of my teams and I have been consulting with them in addition to my neurologist. They seemed a bit surprised by my prognosis, so it does sound like there is a chance that I could return to net before the end of the year. I'm still a few months off from even contemplating that, but I will be consulting with them when that time comes, so hopefully I'll be able to make an informed decision at that point.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Have you considered officiating? Could be a good way to stay involved and work on your skating.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
How do you guys deal with swimming pools in the crease left by a zamboni? If I take warm up shots in a bunch of water, the slush makes the ice like sand paper, and then I can't slide very well. At this point, I'm seriously thinking about carrying a large squeegee with my sticks

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
My season came to a pretty disappointing end yesterday as we got beat in the playoffs in a shootout 5-4. Sadly this is probably one of the best teams I've ever played for, minus the first year I ever played goalie when our B team won state.

This was a solid team, we had one guy who played in the NAHL/Div 3 NCAA, a guy who played 3rd tier juniors, and I think everyone played MN varsity high school hockey at some point (except me I grew up in WI). The first game I had an issue with my car so I called the captain up last minute and him and his bro picked me up. The captain's bro is an interesting guy to say the least, my first interaction with him he told me how he got kicked out of the bar and almost fought the bouncer because he called the bouncer a bunch of slurs and let's just say he wouldn't exactly fit in on SA. Anyhow we won that game 6-5 and the two new guys they picked up from free agency were pretty weak and so the captain just cut them and told them they shouldn't be playing at this level. The second game we ended up losing to the team we played yesterday and I let in a couple weak goals, but it was a dogfight and we lost 4-3. And the third we played on Superbowl Sunday vs our rivals. The other goalie was super good and had the game of his life. He made some insane stack the pads saves and did the splits on a few. Meanwhile I let in a goal on a floater that hit the top of my glove and went in the net. I was just super nervous and jittery that day and I decided to completely change my pregame routine after that.

After that we went on a 9 game win streak. But in the 4th game the captain's brother, in front of the whole locker room, decides to say how amazing the last team's goalie was and how they should've got him. The captain said something about how he tried to and didn't for whatever reason. NAHL guy stuck up for me and said something nice and I kinda just smiled and laughed.

Anyhow we won the game and I played well, and the rest of the games went well for the most part as evidenced by the win streak. The problem was that our team didn't really backcheck, we were constantly missing our best player (NAHL guy), and I would come up with some big late game saves to preserve the win. It seemed like as the year went on our team got worse until we finally lost our second game where we were down to 9 guys because a guy on our team shot a puck at the ref's head and got kicked out. The backchecking was complete poo poo that game and we lost 6-4 to a team we had already beaten twice that year (the amount of times there were two D covering 3 guys was ridic). Then we played the two worst teams in the league and scraped out a 7-4 win and in the first round of the playoffs we won 5-3 in a game that nobody seemed interested in playing.

Before the playoffs my one buddy on the team asked if I got the text about how they were forming a team for the summer. I never got the text.

Anyhow yesterday I played pretty well all things considered but I was super nervous and let in a lovely five hole goal at the start (it was an odd man rush so it wasn't that bad I guess, but I'd like that one back). Also was fighting the puck early on though I did get it under control eventually and then I made some great saves including a breakaway and a transition rebound save with my toe. But it was the typical issues with our team. We went up 4-3, didn't back check and a guy got an in close shot and rebound for the goal and it went to OT. I did fine in OT and we got a 4 on 3 that we didn't convert on. Fast forward to the shootout and they scored 2, we scored 1 :(

In the end it was really fun to play for a team in which I felt my contributions actually mattered and I actually felt some pressure to perform for once. I also played for another team that won 2 games all year (they had a skater play goalie in one) in which I had to play like Hasek to even stand a chance (and I was just mentally checked out for half the games). Same was true last year when I got placed on a really poo poo team for AHA. So on that front it was a nice change of pace and it sucks that I probably won't ever get to play with these guys again. I made some new friends and hopefully I'll get to see them outside of hockey and what not.

On the other hand I guess I won't miss some of the bullshit I had to deal with. I suppose it's possible that I'll be asked back but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Anyhow sorry for the E/N season recap, I'm guessing there are others who can relate. I remember bitching about playing for a crappy team last year in a crappy tier and luckily I got to play some meaningful games this year so for that I'm grateful.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 12, 2014

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude

nahanahs posted:

How do you guys deal with swimming pools in the crease left by a zamboni? If I take warm up shots in a bunch of water, the slush makes the ice like sand paper, and then I can't slide very well. At this point, I'm seriously thinking about carrying a large squeegee with my sticks

You do the old scrapey slide slide when you get to the net? Usually gets enough of it away and soaked up with shavings for me. Also tires my fat legs out so I really half rear end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

TrixR4kids posted:

Anyhow sorry for the E/N season recap, I'm guessing there are others who can relate. I remember bitching about playing for a crappy team last year in a crappy tier and luckily I got to play some meaningful games this year so for that I'm grateful.

This up at the Super Rink? Theres always some huge morons up there, we had a B team we had won the league and reached finals 2x that started to dissolve. I still wanted to win and the remaining dudes didnt give a gently caress. It's frustrating to deal with but I've learned not to care unless I'm playing in a tournament and it's helped my game. I'll still get pissed from time to time on a free pass back door where no one is there and yell "loving NO ONE? REALLY?" but overall I keep things positive. We've all been there you shouldnt get too worked up about it, you playing C? There's a LOT of morons at that level that really dont know the first thing about hockey but sure talk like they've been in the show.

Thankfully my weekend went really well

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-division-goalies.html?divisionid=75569&seasonid=12801

We lost our first game Friday night but I didnt get much sleep and was a bit hung over from partying with a friend in town the night before. I actually was a little frustrated by some semi passive aggressive things that were said that could be taken as seeds of doubt in me. They probably weren't meant to be negative but this is the Midwest and I'm fine tuned to detect it. The rest of the games went fantastic, the team played great D for the most part I came up with big saves on PK situations. I would have had 2 shutouts if they didnt luck out on a botched clearing attempt 6 on 5 and score 40 seconds left. The final game they have me recorded taking 40 shots against a team that was all very recent (within 1-3 years) graduated D3 players from Augsburg including their goalie so that was very rewarding. The team called me the MVP but really they played extremely well in front of me, either way I ended up with this awesome trophy.

• Locked thread