Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Martytoof posted:

Goalie Heaven just replied back that they should have a pair of V3 7400 Sr. pads to show off by the end of the month. I can't wait to see the build quality and compare them to actual V3 pads.

Could you send those pics on? I'm hoping to play some semipro next year so I need to change some equipment :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Goalies that have to pay for your leagues: I feel bad for you. While I understand that ice time is expensive, the average goalie's equipment is somewhere between 5 and 10 times the amount of money a player has to pay for his equipment. Maybe I'm entitled or something, who knows; all I know is if you're in a place where you have to pay to play, you should spend money on this instead:

I kid, but seriously, the places where you have to play tend to be below the Mason-Dixon, while places you don't tend to be the Northeast/Minnesota/Canada. We've got plenty of ice and roller up here, c'mon up and join us!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Every roller league I've played in I have to pay. Part of the reason why I'm not desperate to play.
I think it really depends on the total number of rinks around. In Boston, even though there were only 4 (now 3) roller rinks when I played there, teams didn't charge goalies; I'm pretty sure this is because within an hour of Boston, there's 50-odd sheets of ice, and ice teams don't make goalies pay.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

T-Bone posted:

This is only the redeemable aspect of Knoxville

ITS TOO BAD THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A loving LEAGUE.

(tournament next month though!)

I really hope I come up with some product idea that allows me to retire at 30 with enough to live off the interest AND build my own really, really nice inline facility and just run that until I die at age 42

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

G I Jimbo posted:

My brother crusaderdonkey requested I post here when the mask arrived at the house since he's still away at school. We've got a nice painting project now when the weather warms up. Thanks to PMA for the free stuff and to Rick Grimes for sending it along.
You're welcome! Everyone should be able to play this great sport while being safe.

G Money posted:

Where are the dedicated inline rinks in Boston? Are they sport court, or just melted down in the summer?

I've only heard of a few sport court complexes near the 495 ring.

The big 5 used to be Saugus, Revere, Tewksbury, Holbrook, and Newton, but we're down to Tewksbury, Holbrook, and the occasional Saugus game. It's sport court, though, so thank goodness for small miracles.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I kind of want to give the RBK P2s a look again. I mean, not the P2s, the 8ks cause I'm not made of money.. Nor do I have any money.. Nor am I making any money..

If only they made them with the Turco break. My butterfly isn't that wide so, I dunno.

You're pretty set on the whole non-Vaughn thing. May I inquire why?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

No no I'm definitely NOT set on the non-Vaughn thing. In fact, if the 7400 is any good I will probably buy a pair. I just don't want to say I've never tried another brand. I was toying with the idea of the 9990s and P2s when I had money to throw around, but in all honesty I probably would have bought a set of V3s. Now my options are more limited. I'd like to try the 8k and 7400s.

I liked the look of the Battrams too, and they were decidedly Vaughn-like :cool:

I have no idea where you live, but the Goalie Crease apparently has an indoor synthetic ice thingy where you can try on some of their demo gear and scoot about! That might be a great thing to try if you're near Toronto and have nothing better to do one afternoon.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
So long as goalies pay zero I see absolutely no reason why a team shouldn't find a better one if the one you have is sucky. I've been replaced before, and I was playing poorly so I deserved it. I've also replaced another goalie too. Cuts both ways.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Rick Grimes posted:

Glad to hear it made it safely, heh. I've played in the new mask about 5 times now, and already have a chip in the chin. Good thing Tony offers free touchups on his paintjobs. Still trying to figure out how it happened. I wear a dangle, and don't remember taking any shots in the general area.

Thanks again for the loaner PMA.
The dangler probably chipped it, if it's along the edge.

Something you might want to try is using some door trim from Autozone and using some no-name adhesive to adhere that to the edges of your mask. I did that with the old one.

No problem guy!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Badass. I've been meaning to head out there to Goalie Heaven when they confirm they have the 7400s in stock to look at, I might have to swing by here too :cool:
I think it's the goalie crease, it could be goalie heaven. I read it on their ebay site, give 'em a call and figure out which one it is.

quote:

Does any goalie in the NHL besides Rockin Rayzor Emery wear Brians now? Seems like Brians has taken a dive in popularity.
At risk of pissing off the crowd that worries about knowitallism, when hybrid pads are the only good product your company makes, you are going to have trouble selling to butterfly goalies. Seriously, the DX line is about a pound and a half heavier per pad than everything else on the market (including the heavy rear end 1st gen RBKs) and has some serious design issues. Their briberyadvertising budget got slashed when Vaughn bought partial stake in them, too. I don't know why you'd buy a pair of those unless you like hybrid pads like T-Bone.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Pleads, here's a rough cost I found from another, older thread:

PenguinManAmato posted:

That said, being a goalie really isn't as expensive as you think it is if you go used or via clearance. Let's look at a fairly decent loadout:

Mask - $250, one of three items I'll tell you to buy new and expensive
Chest protector - $100 for a used pro-level unit
Pants - $25 for a good used pair
Skates - $100, RBK 6.0s have retarded prices right now, or get a nice set of lightly used Supremes
Gloves - $150 for used senior/pro level old spec, $250 for used NHL pro spec if you look hard
Pads - $200 for used old spec, $300 for used NHL spec
Stick - $25 for an older model, good wood stick
Jock - $50 for a good NEW goalie jock

Total price, non-NHL spec: $900
Total price, NHL spec: $1100
It's a lot of money, but considering I used to spend that much playing a month and change of golf and I work my rear end off at two jobs during the school year, I think it's worth it. Pays for itself in two years compared with playing forward. Plus, a hobby or sport should never be a cost-positive concept.
Your pants will probably be transferable for most purposes, to be honest.

I'd amend that to say that if you're going to spend money on something other than your mask, skates, or jock, put the money into the best chest protector you can.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Z-Bo posted:

Do any rollerblade hockey goons own the Tour Redline 5000 Goalie Inline Skates? I am thinking about buying them. $180 isn't too bad.

I actually managed to find them on sale (!) locally at Zwickers in Boston. I have used them for one season (30 games, 30 practices) and they have held up ok for what is essentially a throwaway skate. The boot is a little less stiff than I really would like, it comes up an eyelet too far versus traditional goalie skates, some of the inner padding is already ripping, and the plastic cowling is a joke compared to the one the Bauer skates come with, but in general they're pretty comfortable once you put a set of SuperFeet insoles into them, and they are certainly better than the Bauer XV lite or the old Supreme 1000RHs. The wheels it comes with are crap too, but if you play outdoors a lot they'll be just fine. Because the cowling is so flimsy, I'd recommend you put a little duct tape over the contact portions and replace that every few uses instead of wear through the skate. Make sure you let them dry out after usage because otherwise the inner padding will degrade.

Martytoof posted:

This is the loving bee's knees of advice right here. I will have to hit up SportCheck or something to see what they have.

I've only been hit there twice, but jesus gently caress never again.

So on the topic of safety, does anyone have any good ideas at minimizing the clanging of a dangler? I guess you get used to it after a while, but right now it's driving me up the loving wall. I decided to put it back on after a hit to the mask today in shinny, but it's all CLANG CLANG CLANG I'M ON YOUR MASK CLANG CLANG CLANG
I wear a collar instead since I'm not that worried about getting a puck there and I'm more worried about a blade. If my trachea collapses, I get what I deserved. That said, if you are annoyed about the clanging, one thing I used to do before I purchased my collar was to put car door trim (http://www.trim-gard.com/) on the outside edge of the mask since it dampens a lot of the clanging. It also helps prevent your mask paint from chipping! Something else you might want to try is putting thin rubber washers or grommets on your cage and snap screws, as I find it gives a little bit of elasticity to dampen the clang. Can't hurt.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 8, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Goalies in the NHL are generally one of the top 100 goalies in the world; as such I've never heard a coach at any camp I've attended say specifically not to mimic a particular goalie. Even guys like Thomas or Hasek have facets of their gameplay that are effective or a good lesson for all goalies to at least consider before eschewing. For example, Hasek has a tendency to bait heavily, increasing the likelihood that he knows where the shot is going (Brodeur does this a lot too, I find), while Thomas has some very interesting post-to-post desperation moves which may or may not be more effective than a butterfly slide in certain situations. It can't hurt to learn how to do things differently, and by evaluating the mechanic in a controlled session, you may find that you prefer a heterodox method of making a save. I'm pretty sure even us beer and club league hacks have our own little quirks which we've learned work for us.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
So long as the knee fits correctly, you can get a significant number of the advantages of a 34" or 32+2" pad without buying a new set! You do, however, need to have a little skill with an upholsterer's needle.

What I did on my older Bauers a while ago was take a set of 11" wide thigh boards and instead of mounting them in the usual position, I stitched them to the backside of the pad at the edges, effectively making it into an extended thigh rise. It worked pretty well, and the cost to me was about $10 for needle, used boards, and a ton of waxed thread.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Minister Robathan posted:

Just so you know, goalie helmets don't protect against concussions. Even regular player helmets do not protect against concussions. http://www.csa.ca/news/releases/default.asp?articleID=7567&searchType=exactPhrase&searchWordList=hockey+helmet&language=English

Specially designed concussion helmets, of course, are the exception as they have three layers of protection: the hard outer shell which prevents the majority of cuts and bruises and whatnot, a hard foam shell that absorbs hard blows (like the one you described), and a soft, foam or gel layer that is in direct contact with your head designed to absorb and distribute whatever force is remaining.

Now, you're advice is one hundred percent true for blocking shots with your face, but it's unlikely that the 500$ helmet protected you anymore than the 125$ helmet did. Also, since your helmet was 3 years old at the time, it had (guaranteed) received quite a beating, and likely was no longer up to par. It was time to replace it. Unfortunately, you found this out after getting a concussion. AS SOON AS THERE IS ANY WEAR ON YOUR HELMET, it has lost part of it's integrity.

This is just a reminder that, for players and for goalies a like, a helmet does not make you invincible. I've received a concussion while wearing a concussion helmet. I got hit, my head snapped back onto the ice, I remember getting up taking a stride towards the bench, and then my next memory is of the trainer standing over me asking questions. Nothing can make hockey completely, 100% safe, there is risk of significant injury as soon as you step on the ice.

Do not take this the wrong way PMA, I'm not saying any old helmet will do. I'm recommending that people, especially people that do not play goalie (ha, in the goalie thread!) get a good concussion helmet, rather than any helmet that the CSA/HECC has certified.
Interesting about the concussion thing, although the helmet was 3 months old, not 3 years. I'd like to think the flex of the mask made things worse. It's a moot point now, I wear a mask that should be able to stop a .22, has a harder foam liner, hard foam outer, soft foam inner, and coolmax on top of that. Plus it fits correctly, which was the main thing about cheaper helmets that is probably their worst sin.

Regardless, go buy a good helmet. AND REPLACE YOUR CAGES JESUS CHRIST

fake edit: I have a dent in mine from tonights 0-1 loss in IM finals, so it's time to replace it. On a related note, holy loving poo poo, the Varsity Crew team here is nasty at hockey. They never got tired; we were outshot 33-5 and the only goal they got was a close in shot that I got a piece of, rebound got stuffed five hole, and I grabbed the puck just as it crossed the line :gonk:

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 14, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

nahanahs posted:

If you get too big, your knee will be out of the cradle and you'll lose all kinds of mobility.

I have some advice to request. I have to play two games tomorrow with an hour in between. What can I do between games to get my energy back up before the second game?

Small protein shake (talking one scoop, 6 oz of fluid if you usually do a 2 scoops per 12) + an apple + a small cup of coffee. More important than any of that is drinking two gallons of water today, not tomorrow. Drink plenty during the first game too, but if you aren't hydrated by bedtime tonight you are so incredibly hosed it's scary. Especially if you're playing roller, which I'm guessing you are.

Nice lookin stuff there Marty! What are ya doin' with the old guys?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

eXXon posted:

What's the point of the extra strip of material running down the outside of each pad? Every once in a while when playing ball hockey with terrible pads I used to wear pads on the wrong leg so they were on the inside and gave me a tiny chance of actually being able to close my pads together. Having done so I never figured out what the point of them was or why you'd want them on the outside of the pad rather than the inside.
Back in the day, it was one of the major structural components of the pad and would provide stiffness. Nowadays, it's ostensibly billed as preventing the puck from skipping over from in close or while it's knuckling. Truth be told, it doesn't really need to be there, and at least one pad company decided to do away with it all together.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'll be replacing the flimsy leather straps as soon as I can find some better ones that don't involve gutting my Velos.

Haha, those Vaughn ties are actually Mission toe ties from the prototype pair I had! As for the straps, go to JoAnn Fabrics or EMS or your local equivalent and buy 1" nylon belt and some clips and save yourself some hassle.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
The calf wrap thing is something that you need to address via strapping more loosely and hanging the pad out to dry with the wrap stretched outward. My 9.8s did the same thing while they were breaking in, now they don't since I consistently broke the wrap the other way.

Lively rebounds are fun when you can't get your stick on them, but your stick is there for a reason! I need to work on this too, because I'm having a bear of a time getting out of the habit of trying to pad a weak-side shot to the boards and instead putting it back in the slot. Bad!

I don't bother using the knee elastic any more. Have you considered going to a more padded kneepad and enjoying the freedom of knee movement?

Finally, are you raising the lead leg on a butterfly slide? I'm not sure why you would be unless you are overextending it and reaching for a puck at the toe. Usually the thing that the kids have trouble with is getting the trail leg down and pulled back in, which is really hard when you are 12 and don't have the core strength to do it. Hell, it's hard to do at 23.

gently caress, I'm old.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
At risk of inspiring another ":rolleyes: PMA's a dick :rolleyes:" post, I am fully supportive of straight up murdering pricks who put that slippery poo poo on the floor. It caused me to pop something painful two years ago and my right leg still doesn't move quite right.

In conclusion: if you play roller hockey and put anything on your pads that isn't plastic, you should die.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

fenix424 posted:

How good of gear do you really need to start off playing roller hockey? My friends play with a hard puck, and i pretty much bought some of the cheapest stuff i could find at discounthockey.com just so i could have gear to play (with the exception of a mask, I'm buying the standard Itech ice mask). My friends say i should be ok so i went with it, but i'm kinda thinking maybe i should have bought better stuff?

I plan on playing ice eventually, but i know i will need to replace pretty much everything but my mask, but i should be cool for roller right?

http://www.discounthockey.com/itghp48segop.html
http://www.discounthockey.com/tour304goalc.html

Tour GTL Leg Pads
Tour Blocker
Mylec Street Hockey Glove

The pants are great for the price. The remainder of the gear is completely privy to the age old adage of "Buy quality, buy once." The GTL pads are ok, I guess, but really, with some pretty decent gear being at the price point it is, you shouldn't be using the chest, glove, or blocker since there are better options at a similar price point.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Feel free to hit me at PenguinManAmato if ya like. I'll be up late trying to reconfigure this loving air traffic control optimization anyway.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

No offense PMA but if you're messing with ATC I'd rather you not be on AIM <:mad:>
The joys of optimization. Hilariously enough, all this is showing me is that small planes are loving retarded to let in the air since they gently caress EVERYTHING up!

Randall Pink Floyd posted:

Flexibility not found
I can't do a split and I can't touch my toes. Hell, I can't get within a half foot of my toes, no joke. I can also butterfly well beyond the width of the net with no gap. It's a different kind of flexibility that's required, and everyone learns what their limits are and adjusts accordingly. Will you be able to make Luongo type ridiculous butterfly saves? Probably not, but neither do 99% of the goalie population, so take solace in that.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Unless there's something I don't understand, I don't think there's any difference between a skater hollow and a goalie hollow. Skaters typically just need theirs to be sharper.
Kind of, sort of.

The actual hollow is of the same radius: that is, if you were to produce a circular object with that radius, it would fit nicely into the hollow of the blade. So, a 1/2" cut is done on the same tooling as a skater cut, more or less.

What's a teensy bit different is that goalie blades (with the exception of the Koho 590 blade) are about 50% thicker than player skates. So, they're actually a touch deeper than a player skate of equivalent hollow since the distance between the bottom of the edge and the top of the hollow is greater. At the same time, since the actual blade is wider, it allows for easier pushing since the range of angles at which the blade does not dig in is greater than if you were on a thinner piece of steel.

That said, as with 90% of all goaltending, once someone finds something they're good with, it's probably not worth monkeying with save for occasionally trying something new. I use a 1/2" cut and dull the outer edge since I don't always trust my footwork; I've tried 3/8" but I don't have anywhere near the skating skill to use any of the advantages it offers.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Those look really, really nice. What's the toe tie at the boot like? The clearance looks pretty close.

Also, how big are you? You need a sandwich or two :)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

Maybe it's too early...but what do you mean by clearance??

Haha, no, the question makes no sense looking at it now.

I guess my question was more along the line of how high your pad sits off the skate at the boot, the flexibility of the ankle, and the impact of the toe being fairly boxy. I haven't had a chance to try any 11" pads with such a squarish toe so I have no clue if that front inside corner of the boot drags or anything, and I'm considering picking up a set of 11" pads soonish.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
It mostly comes from your stance and how you strap your pads.

The stance I was taught to use is fairly standard and looks like this:

Feet are a little farther apart than shoulder width.

From the side, it looks like this:

You'll note that my knees are slightly forward of my feet, my knees are bent to about 75 degrees like I'm doing a moderate wall-sit, and if you were to draw a line between my feet and my forehead, it would run through my knees. This forces your weight forward. I've noticed when the weight is incorrectly placed during a butterfly, the movement is slow and the pads don't flip over.

This next shot shows me starting a butterfly after seeing the puck through a screen:

You'll notice that the pads are already making contact at the toe and are starting to rotate since I leave my boot very loose. My knees are leading the movement by driving the flaps downward and filling up five hole. Because I strap my knees fairly tight, and the toe is somewhat anchored against the floor/ice, the pad starts to torque. Modern pads don't really torque, so they rotate instead, using my leg as the pivot. It ends something like this:

One of the guys I play against teaches goalie camp every once in a while and since he's the best I've ever played against, I think his advice applies here. He always said that the mental image for guys beginning the game should be their knees and wast uncoiling into the fivehole space while the feet stay more or less in the same position and the torso stays more or less in the same stance. His stance is slightly more upright than mine, and his is technically better, since my gut has to go towards the puck as my midsection uncoils, increasing rebounds. It's something I should probably consider and work on, although I think his uprightness of stance is probably slightly extreme in one direction while mine is slightly hunched.

Short version:
- Get proper stance.
- Strap a bit looser at the ankle and a touch looser at the knee and see how it affects things.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 11, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Towel in the net, using the tape on the blade to mop up, as well as the backside of the glove. I also usually wear head to toe wicking poo poo so there's less drippage.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I've never played at a place that allows water. More importantly, etiquette says that water should not be drank.

Part of the "fun" of being a roller hockey goalie is in drinking two gallons of water the day before the tournament and drinking a liter every intermission.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

crashlanding posted:

Do you really play halves?

PIHA and MLRH do halves, college does periods. Really depends on the league.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I had the chance to swing by Simmons on the way back from Cambridge last week and I picked up a 993 glove, which is a pretty decent clone of the RBK feel (the backhand protection is poo poo, but that's why I own extra foam and a sewing awl).

That said, I also stepped into all of their pads, and let me be clear: the 994 is not an original pad in the least. It's almost a perfect clone of the One95 pad, which is itself highly similar to the second-gen Itech 9.8/RX9 series. At the end of the day though, who cares? There's more than a kernel of truth to Martytoof's comment about Simmons hitting a market point that would not have resulted in sales to the "original" manufacturers (although I think there's more overlap than he thinks). Besides, when you really think about it, the only completely innovative pads that have come out in the last 10 years are the Smith SP1000/Vaughn Velocity (box pad), the CCM Blockade (slightly evolved flatface box pad), and the Koho 590 (and this is a stretch). Sure, there's been minor modifications or improvements to things based on construction, strapping, offset/sliding toes, gusset design, and the like, but the fact of the matter is that everyone has been cribbing from one another since Smith changed the entire game of hockey. The only thing you can really get on Simmons for is that the owner and half of the workers are a dicks and have told many a half-truth to my face to try and get a sale, but I don't really care enough to not save some cash. My chest protector is the next best thing to a Brown, has lasted as long as a Brown, and was a third of the price. I haven't tried the glove out yet, but it should be fun to see how it works tomorrow.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Stickarts posted:

I'll leave you goalies to it now, I'm going to go block a shot or something.

We appreciate it!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

titanium posted:

new skates
I'm pretty pissed off, I saw the One95s and immediately thought, "Well, nobody loving carries Graf poo poo anymore, I'm out of steel on my Grafs, and I'm turning those into inline blades anyway," I'd try the One95s. Helping this is that around the time I started looking for skates, my girlfriend was hired by a Nike company. She gets any product at least 50% off.

Unfortunately, Nike apparently doesn't apply that discount to any NikeBauer hockey gear.

Needless to say, I'm pissed off.

Let us know how they break in, I've always liked the Supreme holder (have one on my Grafs) and the steel was generally pretty good.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
there's several ways and none are great.

1) learn how to slide on cement - if you're sliding on your chassis and cowling you'll still slide. don't let the pad make contact until you want to stop. this requires muscular strength you might not have, so good luck.
2) dive - not good
3) backwards t-push over - usually doesn't work great since you're basically going rear end-end into the puck but at least it's something
4) cheat and t-push - play the shot positionally but play under-square. this means that your torso remains square to center, not the puck or puck carrier. when the pass comes, you can t-push out of this position to meet the shot, which is probably the quickest you'll get on cement. doing this requires extremely good reads and really really good reflexes so try it at pick-up before doing it in a game. if you overcommit to the pass you'll get beat short side, and if you mistime the push you'll still get beat.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

dude, pimp your slide plates

i took em off since i have a month before PIHA/AIHL tryouts and i'm playing ice every night until then

my goal to be paid to play hockey WILL be met before i die

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

you can still show them off, they've gotta help sliding on concrete

fair nuff. here's a crosspost from a year back that explains everything:

I finished the first couple plates for my pads today. Simple use of UHMW plastic from McMaster-Carr, an oven at 200 degrees, a drill, and some forethought.

My pads don't have any sort of medial roll (well, they do, but not big enough to put a hole in) so I had to be a bit more clever about attaching these plates.

The knee plates are designed like a pocket; the knee strap goes through the plate as well as the wing itself so that it is anchored quite well. I'll need to put it through some extra use to make sure I don't need to do something extra, like velcro it on the backside, but I'm fairly confident that it should be plenty secure.

The toe plates were a gigantic bear to make. I had to heat the plate and keep reshaping and reforming them to match the toe of my pads. In terms of attachment, the lacing loops through the pad facing lace four times up top, and loops inside and out of the binding towards the front of the toe and at the bottom (only on one pad at the bottom; the other one needs two holes drilled for this. I'll do it tomorrow.). The boot strap goes through the back of the plate, keeping it form fitting when the strap is tightened.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to do plastic for the calf and/or how I'd go about doing it, or if I'll just use white duct tape for the remaining exposed surfaces (it doesn't leave residue, is instantly removeable, and is a bit better than leather sliding on sport court).

toe:

knee wing:

pads on a spectacularly handsome man:

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 9, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

who is mostly cut out of this picture :rimshot:
:mad: don't you have some lefebvre pads to go break in? oh, right, they never do

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
eh, sport court rubs the contact surfaces but it's not a whole lot worse than ice

also there is nothing to improve upon, my pads are perfection, tia

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Here's a question I've never really had answered by a coach or anyone, and I'd like to figure out how to play it properly.

I got invited into an extremely good league recently and I've never played anywhere near that level so it was fun to see how my skills stood up. We ended up losing 5-4 which wasn't so bad since I made more stops than the other goalie, but the winning goal pissed me off. It was a weird 2 on 1 with the puckcarrier well ahead of the trail guy. Puckcarrier went around the D towards the outside, drove the net on my stickside and got me to have to challenge out off the post, then cut to his backhand (right shot), blew around the net, and chipped the wraparound off my skate, off the pad, and in.

Issues:
1) I had challenged out a bit thinking I'd probably have to use a glove side half-butterfly or full butterfly if he shot; there was a trailer high in the slot that I had plenty of time to get to if he passed, but if he drove around the net I'd have a tougher time driving the opposite post;
2) When the guy got on his backhand, I was worried about him trying to bring it forehand and chip it in, so I still had my stick side lined up with the right post
3) once I figured out he was going around, I butterfly slid into the other post
4) guy could have hit the trailer in the low slot but instead chipped off the skate.

Basically I was in a full butterfly with the skate planted on the post. Clearly that isn't the correct play, but beyond butterfly sliding into the post and recovering on the lead leg into a half butterfly with the stick side leg down and stick in position or in a paddle down, I don't know what else I could have done. I've always had trouble playing those plays properly and I need some insight. I'd really like to stick at this level and I need to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

What are you doing getting beat on wraparounds anyway, Mr. I Can Butterfly Post-to-Post?

Would it have helped if you led with your stick on the slide across? Marty Turco says always lead with your stick on potential wraparounds.

I'll admit that I have a tendency to let my stick get wild at times, but I led with the stick in that case (filling five hole). Do you and Turco mean that the stick should get to the post first?

Alternately, would I be better off putting my ankle at the post and sliding my skate behind the post on the butterfly slide?

Butterflying post to post isn't that effective I'm afraid :(

• Locked thread