Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I have a quick question in regards to roller hockey. I've ice hockey as a goalie for about 8 years but haven't played roller since I was like 11 dicking around on the street. I recently went off to college and as far as I can tell the closest ice rink is ~45 minutes away, so that kind of fucks me in regards to playing ice hockey. That said, there's a roller rink on campus, so I've been considering picking that up.

What I want to know is will playing goalie in roller with my ice pads (specifically my Velocity leg pads) tear them up or will it not matter? It's a sport court type thing so it's not like I'd be playing on gravel. Also, what are some of the differences playing goalie in roller compared to ice? I'm going to go ahead and say you can't butterfly slide, but what about stuff like shuffling and other things like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

crashlanding posted:

Dull goalie skates.

All while I was playing when I was younger I'd hear about how goalies should keep their skates dull (so you don't catch an edge, I guess?) and I did that for the first few years but as I started getting more and more competitive I realized how awful it was. You can't push, your C-cuts have no power behind them, you can't scramble because you have no edge to push with, just about the only positive is you may get more side to side movement from your shuffles, but that's quickly nullified by the fact that when you go to push off there's nothing to push off with on your inside edge.

I sharpened my skates every week or two, so every 5-7 times I skated and got them cut at a half-inch. The people that sharpened them would look at me with the most incredulous looks I've ever seen when I told them what I wanted them cut at.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I'm going to be starting to sharpen my own skates and I was wondering if anybody here had any tips (and/or even the basics) for how to go about sharpening my goalie skates? I've never sharpened a pair of skates, so I'm more than ready for the first few times to be pretty bad, but I still want to know what to expect and what to think about.

For the past few years I've been getting my skates cut at 1/2" but a) I don't really know what that entails and b) even if I get it cut with the same person, it doesn't always feel the same when I step onto the ice.

Basically, I love my skates sharp as hell... when I step on the ice I like to be able to feel like my skates are digging/biting into the ice and when I was playing at my height I would try and get them sharpened every week or so in order to keep that same level of sharpness.

So... any hints/tips/suggestions/Sharpening Your Goalie Skates for Dummies guidebooks?

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
My boss is showing me as well, but I posted here in case there was anything else I should think of when I get to doing it myself.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

New R10s. Bleh. Looks like an Eagle Fusion graphics stitcher went haywire.

Sup South rink at Logitech Ice. Is that you or just some random person, Martytoof?

I can't count how many times I've been on the ice when my group has cut down to the paint doing drills on that rink.

Edit: Oh my bad, Sharks Ice at San Jose, not Logitech Ice anymore... stupid naming bullshit.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2008

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Also I started my workout regiment today (fuckin squats) to get back in shape for an eventual return to college hockey and I'm totally looking for some exercises to vary my routine if anyone has any suggestions.

Lunges, Leg Press, Squats, Sprints, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics.

Seriously, aside from the usual lower body stuff like lunges, squats, and leg presses, anything that works on you loading your legs, exploding out from that position, landing and loading and then exploding back out and repeating that in one fluid motion is easily the best goalie workouts that exist.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of sticks in position, Melted actually tipped me off that I was playing with an excessively long paddle. Since I'm loving poor instead of going out and buying a 25" I took one of my lovely heavy 26" sticks and shaved an inch off the paddle. The result? loving amazing. The stick feels natural and stays where I want it when I drive my knees to the ice, instead of moving around because it's too long.

I'm not sure I'm ready to take the blade to all my expensive sticks, but I'm certainly thinking about it. Not to mention all my paddles from hereon out will be 25" :v:

If you trust yourself at all, do it. The more you play and ingrain a bad habit the more it will still be there despite any change you make to correct it.

I'm currently coaching this kid that drives me loving nuts because all his poo poo is a good size or two too big... He's like 12 or something, so I can't really fault that too much since obviously nobody wants to be buying a new set of goalie equipment ever year, but it's obvious in how much it adversely affects him.

He has probably the laziest stickwork I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and I've told him at least 30 times over the past month to make sure he pays attention to it. He'll do it for 2 reps, then get back into his old, lazy habits of having the stick nowhere near where it's supposed to be. With a stick that's too big usually what happens is when you go down it will either end up past the 5-hole on the opposite side from which you hold your stick (IE if you hold it in your right hand, it will end up past your 5-hole on the left side, heel of the stick in line with your left knee) or it straight out from your 5-hole as you try and tuck your arms, basically making an upside down T - his has to be at least 3-5 inches too big and when he goes down, probably 90% of the time his stick ends up 6-8 inches to the left of his 5-hole with the heel of the stick being the only thing touching the ice. Anyways, the point of all that was to say this: On Tuesday he forgot his stick and was forced to use a stick that was too small for him and the exact same thing happened where he over-committed his stick to his left.

Seriously, take every precaution you can to avoid falling into bad habits because even if the cause of it is rectified (like getting the correct size stick or whatever it may be), the habits you formed while using the wrong equipment will stick with you for a long time unless you work your rear end off to fix them too - and nobody does because nobody realizes those habits are still there (or in some cases even there in the first place).

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

sba posted:

Where's a good place to buy sticks online?? The stores near me carry a bunch of poo poo, and not only is it poo poo, it's all lefty curved poo poo.

I hate Don Simmons with a passion for the most part, but they have a great selection of sticks. I've heard they are pro-returns for the most part, but I'm not sure how accurate that claim is.

The sticks are expensive and if you play enough you'll go through them relatively quickly but I only buy my stuff from them now as I know what to expect from what I buy and familiarity is key for sticks.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Are you keeping your glove hand in front of your body (as opposed to right in line with it) and watching the puck into your glove?

There's really not a whole lot you can do aside from keep your glove in position and watch it into your glove. Practice-wise really all you can do is practice with a ball against a wall or try and do things that might improve hand-eye coordination (juggling, catch, etc). There's another twist on throwing a tennis ball up against a wall and it's called a reaction ball, though that wont really help you keep stuff in the pocket of your glove.

Another thing is if you do sticktimes, go with a friend, get on your knees and have them just fire shots at your glove hand, make sure your glove positioning is good (out in front of your body) and watch the puck into the pocket.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

High level players are much easier to play against since you can predict where their shots will go. Playing against fat beer leaguers who cant skate is tough because they shoot like its going to be a high wrister and they wiff and the puck slides under your pads. Never fails.

This is completely 100% true. I played in an A league game down at the rink in Oxnard the other day and it was loving terrible. I let in 4 goals because I could never get the (slow as gently caress) speed of the game down so my angles were always off and they couldn't shoot worth poo poo so I would always overcommit. At least from a shooter's perspective (while playing down, that is), if you're any good you can pick a spot in the net and shoot it there, as a goalie its a lot more difficult because you expect things to happen that the people just aren't capable of doing so you end up looking like a fool because the players are so bad.

Martytoof posted:

Anyone here play with overdrive blades? Tell me about them. Why do you play with them? Did they make a big difference? Do you ever get called out on it?

In a moment of weakness I considered buying a pair today just to try out.

I played with them for about 2 years during my Bantam and Midget16 years. I honestly didn't really even notice them while I had them on, however once I had them taken off it took me 4-6 hours of skating to adapt to not having them anymore. They aren't needed by any means, and they won't make a difference to the point of allowing you to downpush and save a shot that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to get over for, but they are at least mildly helpful. Frankly, I would say pass and keep yourself in good habits instead of using a crutch, which is what it ends up being.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Good christ, man...how do you slide from post to post? I've had my skates for almost a year now and I've had them sharpened twice.

I used to sharpen my skates every second time I skated, on my old Grafs I went through 2 or 3 sets of blades/cowlings due to them getting sharpened down so much (and rounded off).

Keeping your skates sharp is important if you want to actually be able to move. It's incredibly easy (and beneficial) to learn how to shuffle with sharp skates as you get more power from every push when you use sharper skates and, if you aren't a terrible skater, you are less likely to catch an edge or some dent/rut in your blade. Furthermore, if you have any hope of being able to skate in a bigger area than your crease, you drat well better have sharp skates.

I forget where it was, but there's an article about it too. Either way, suffice to say the whole "goalies need dull skates :downs:" argument is probably the stupidest, most disadvantageous piece of "common knowledge" out there for goalies.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2008

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Goalies tend to have the bigger advantage on penalty shots/shootouts than on breakaways for a few reasons. First off, the more a shooter thinks the more he'll overthink it and try and do too much; it doesn't take more than a decent shot to beat a goalie, see: Jokinen's patented blocker side shot 2 feet off the ice, there's no need for a triple deke, it just increases the chance you (as the shooter) will gently caress up somewhere and/or get a weak shot off. Second, if I know the skater is coming down from the red line I can start off my goal line and challenge as much (or as little) as I want and pace myself back to my crease and goal line. In a penalty shot I don't have to deal with the possibility he might pull and make a pass cross ice or that my defenseman will get a piece of the shot causing it to come off the stick at some weird angle and flutter over my shoulder or any other multitude of fluky happenings.

It's a lot easier as a goalie to know what's coming and be able to prepare for that instead of having an "oh poo poo he just blew by my defenders" moment where you might not be totally prepared for it.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

crashlanding posted:

How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

There are tons of cues that you only get better at recognizing with experience. Slapshots are easy, obviously. As far as wrist shots go, you have to adjust your weight in a specific way to shoot, you have to do certain movements with your wrists that are a give away and in turn, your blade ends up in certain positions (typically over the puck, cupping it) that you wouldn't put it in in any situation other than when you're about to shoot.

Cup the puck like you're about to take a quick wrist shot, push it out 5-6 inches, and fire it and you'll score on me probably every time. Not many people can do it well but those that can, it's just nasty.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Aniki posted:

I don't think I'll go the Lundqvist direction, it's one of those things that seems interesting in theory, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out well for me. I did try on the V3 7500 trapper on Saturday and I wasn't too impressed with it. Granted it may have felt weird, because it had better protection and wasn't broken in yet, but I actually liked the 7407 trapper better. I'm now debating if I just want to get the 7407 or if I should continue looking for a pro level trapper. It would be nice to have the extra protection, but my other glove was fine for a year or two, so I'm debating if the extra $200 is worth it.

I can't claim to know the level you play at and that definitely has an effect but as far as I'm concerned I would never buy below pro level equipment. I get plenty of stingers (especially on my glove hand) using the top level stuff and I wouldn't even want to think about how much worse it would be without the extra protection.

Edit: And as far as the 7500 series goes, I wasn't much of a fan either. Then again, I'm used to the V1 break/closure, so basically every glove feels awkward for me; I'm actually in the market for a new glove/blocker and I'm probably going to pick up the 7700 series since from what I've heard it has a break/closure more like the V1 and that's what I'm used to/comfortable with.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I posted this in the NCAA thread since I just realized it but I don't know how many of you are watching/have seen Bemidji State's goalie, Dalton, play but he's using a stick that has a toe curve that curves in towards him as opposed to out like every other stick I've ever seen. Basically it looks like he's using a full right stick as a non-full right goalie.

Edit: maybe I can see it because the toe curve would, theoretically deflect pucks to the corner better, but that's a shoddy theory in my opinion.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 9, 2009

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

I've had a few of my goalie friends tell me I have a pretty heavy shot but I don't feel like it's anything spectacular.

I did hit one of the 14u goalies at a summer camp right under his neck guard and he rolled around for a while. I don't think that is really indicative of how hard of a shot it is though.

There's also a bit of a difference between heavy shots and hard/fast shots, at least in my book. I've dealt with plenty people that can shoot 80+ and it's not much of an issue unless it hits you in a specific, small, soft spot. A guy with a heavy 60-70 MPH shot I can feel through my V2's.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Chemmy posted:

No, it's just how hard it hits you.

I feel a heavy shot is a lot more this than just the speed, the two are related (a 5 MPH shot won't be heavy shot regardless of how it hits you) but its not really cause and effect.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Aniki posted:

I tried on some Graf G50s today and I can't believe how wonderful those skates felt. From what I could tell in the store, I didn't have any foot pain, the skates supported my ankles much better, and I could shuffle around very easily. I've wanted to try on Graf's for a long time and I can really see why so many players and skaters are in love with that brand. They easily felt much more comfortable and "game ready" than my 1.5 year old Bauer XIX's and it definitely seemed like I would be able to stay on the ice a lot longer in those skates, since my current skates can be painful, if they are not tightened just right.

These are definitely on my wishlist, though I am curious how these compare to the the Graf 750 Goaler Pro? I guess I'll read some reviews on these skates, but if anyone has experience with Graf goalie skates, I'd love to hear what you think of them.

I had Graf 750's for several years. I switched to them after having Bauer 1000's, though those were while I was playing Pee Wee and Bantam so it wasn't like I was using the 1000's very intensively. I really, really liked the Graf's at the beginning but I eventually switched back to Bauer (7000's) because the Graf's started to give me some trouble after several years of I guess decently intensive use.

I had to replace the cowlings at least once (and realistically if I hadn't gotten new skates I would have had to replace them within a few months again, too) because they kept getting rounded off which made down-pushing much more difficult than it should have been since it was harder to catch an edge, I also slipped out much more often when I did catch the edge, as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the people that were sharpening my skates (nobody in NorCal can sharpen skates very well, and that's even more true for goalie skates) but the Graf's undeniably have a less exaggerated heel and toe "pick" (for lack of knowing the correct term for the extension of the steel after the flat blade part, if there even is one) which is much more easily rounded off.

The padding on the inside also started to wear down considerably. After using them for a couple years all the padding around the ankles had spread out, compressed, or deteriorated which caused my ankles to develop incredibly painful pressure points as they were forced up against the inside part of the hard leather that formed the outside boot instead of the soft, cushioned leather inside the boot that was there when I first bought them. I ended up having to tape on foam donut pads around the inside and outside ankle of my right foot as well as one side of my left foot (can't remember which side anymore). If I didn't wear those pads the pain was literally so bad I couldn't even skate, much less butterfly or do anything productive on the ice.

Like I said, I ended up switching back to Bauer's (7000's) and I've had no complaints so far, aside from that it was definitely weird getting used to them on the ice at first after so long on Graf's. I've been able to get back to only using 1 donut on the inside of my right ankle, and it's more precautionary than anything; though, to be fair, I took a long time off so whatever was causing those pressure points might have had enough time to heal.

All that said, when I had my Graf's I was playing ~2-3 hours a day, ~5 days a week, so even if the skates had held up better those issues might have come about anyways from my body telling me to gently caress off; nonetheless, while the skates might not have been the cause of the problem, they sure didn't help it - and probably exaggerated it at that. Now that I've got done basically condemning them I have to say this: If I was still playing at a high enough level (or making enough money) where I felt justified in being able to drop $400-500 on new skates every couple of years I would have no qualms about jumping back to Graf's - before they started to fall apart on me they were definitely the most comfortable skates I'd worn and I always liked how they felt on the ice.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

When I was a kid in the early-mid 90s, before the butterfly was really established, this is exactly what some of the goalie coaches told my goalies to do. They called it "paddle down". I have no idea what it was supposed to be used for, but it would seem to be part of the stand up style.

Paddle down isn't meant for stand up, not at all in fact, it's meant for in close plays, usually scrums where you're trying to take away as much of the bottom of the net as you can and you aren't worried about the puck getting any height. It's not meant as a style of save in that if a puck is being shot from the blue line you wouldn't paddle down to save it.

Not to sound snarky but I'm curious how you managed to think it was meant for a stand up style of play, I mean what would you do, bend your back, lean down, and essentially strike a yoga pose?

Edit: I guess "stand up" goalies can use it, but they'd use it the exact same way a butterfly goalie would, so it'd kind of a moot point.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 7, 2009

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

real_scud posted:

Now my problem is that I feel the desire to play goalie more and more slowly creeping back in, and there's no loving way I can afford another $1000 worth of equipment right now.

Only $1000 to gear yourself out? poo poo, I wish that was realistic for me :\. I just dropped $730 yesterday for a new glove and blocker and I have to add another ~$20 to that order because my dangler mysteriously broke down the middle today.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

GoalieMonkey's got RX5 (pads/glove/blocker) sets for $380, RX7's for $570. Depending on what you're playing, you can definitely get geared for under a G.

Yeah, I know it's possible to get geared for under a grand, it's just not realistic for me at all. I'm super, super, super, picky my gear so I end up having to spend a lot.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

ManicJason posted:

It's awesome that the last ice time I'll get for a month was a 9-1 loss unless I want to drive 60 miles two ways.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up. The nearest rink for me is 45 or so miles away. Even better? I totaled my car a mile away from the rink the last time I went there... and I was only going for a sticktime to work on skating.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

Perhaps your knot was weaker then you think it is and got pulled through the hole? it happened on mine once. I twisted my mask, the dangler got caught on someone and next thing I knew it was only secured to my face by the ear holes and the front was dropping like my mask had a stroke.

If you tied the knot by putting both ends of the string through the hole and then tying the knot on the outside (or inside) of the dangler, the knot was just too small and it went through the hole like Space Cadet said. If you only put 1 side of the string through the hole and then tied it with the other side then somebody did it prior to you getting on the ice and you just didn't notice it.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Welp, it's looking like I very well might have just got all my poo poo jacked from the rink I work at. If anybody here plays in SoCal and sees a worn down set of royal weave, silver weave, and white 37" V2's with a set of matching white, royal weave, silver V3 7700 glove and blocker, let me know!

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Anybody know a decent place to get new RBK 9K pumps? I went to GoalieMonkey today and the old ones are $299.99 and the new model is $549.99. I do like the new model more as it's a bit stiffer and the pump is reinforced but I don't like it $250 more. The issue lies in that they didn't have any of the old model in stock in my size (10D). The next closest place I've found is the Source for Sports in London which is selling the old version for ~$380 and nowhere is selling the new version yet (at least according to their sites) aside from GoalieMonkey.

If there are places offering both models (or just one) I'd like to get in touch with them and start getting a chart going so I can price out where the best place for me to get these skates is.

So I come to you SA goalies. Ideas?

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Those skates look :circlefap: as all hell. I would rock those any day of the week.

Though I'm always disappointed when I see skates without removable blades. I get my skates sharpened once every three or so games, and I've got probably another two years of blade left, but if I'm going to pay $400 or 500 for a pair of skates I pretty much want them to be the last pair I have to buy.

If I worked someplace where I had access to free sharpening, I would seriously crossgrind and re-sharpen my skates before every game. No lie.

You don't (or at least I didn't when I had Graf's) have to replace the whole skate if you wear down the blade, you can always take off and replace the cowling which would/should have the blade attatched.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Martytoof: How are you on your lead leg recovery? I don't know if this is accurate but the way it sounds is that you're getting enough push on your initial push but then you don't have the agility/edge control/whatever to stop the slide, load the lead (now trail) leg and push back the other way... It sounds like you're letting the slide finish before loading a leg up again and pushing back. Also, when you're sliding, unless it's some ridiculous desperation attempt where you're just trying to get anything you can to the open area, you shouldn't be very stretched out; everything should be moving as one unit.

Aniki: There's no such thing as "too sharp" or "too dull," I've talked to NHL people and have heard stories of goalies getting their skates cut at 3/8" and maybe even sharper. Actually, there probably is such a thing at "too dull." It's all a matter of preference and style of play. If you're on your knees a lot and doing a lot of butterfly sliding and down-pushing you should have a sharper skate since it'll give you more of an edge to catch. If you're on your feet more often it might make more sense to have them be less sharp. It really depends how good you are (to put it frankly) and how strong/in shape you are. If you aren't that strong or don't have good form, you might get better shuffle pushes with a duller skate. As you get stronger and more practiced, you'll hit a wall with dull skates and will eventually be able to be much more effective and stronger pushes even with the added resistance from the sharper skates.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Tuesday can't come soon enough! I posted a while back about how my gear got stolen... anyways, I got all new stuff and it came into Goaliemonkey ahead of schedule so they shipped it out on Wednesday. Since it was being shipped within CA I was hoping I might get it before the holiday weekend but alas, it's been stuck in LA for the past 3 days and it's supposed to come on Tuesday. Where's my drat time machine!

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

coldwind posted:

How often do you guys re-tape sticks? I've played twice and I've already got three spots where there's a whole straight through to the stick.

I play 3-4 times a week (not on weekends, so 3-4 times Monday-Friday) and I'm lucky if it lasts 2 sticktimes of 1.5 hours each.

Edit: Polish: I used to play barefoot but I started using socks because it makes the boot fit better and my feet used to always basically get (basically) frostbitten. By the way, taping a stick (unless you're redo'ing the knob) really doesn't use that much tape for you, does it?

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 9, 2010

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

brosef deluxe posted:

Unfortunately, Santa Ana's a 7+ hour drive from SJ, but if I'm in the area sometime I'll be sure to check it out.

Honestly, the price to feature ratio of the Simmons stuff is pretty ridiculous. I know they rip off designs, but I could really give a drat.

It's not like the bay area is void of any decent places.

If you're in SJ go to Power Play, it's literally like less than a thousand feet from the Tank, and try on some pads. They don't have a huge gigantic selection but they have enough of the top of the line stuff (Vaughn/Reebok/Itech mainly) in "normal" sizes that you should be able to get an idea of what works for you.

If Power Play doesn't have the size/brand/model you want, make a trip up to Oakland and check out Hockey Xsport, they have an entire wall 2-3 pads deep dedicated to goalie gear. It's a bit of a trek to get there (though not that bad since all you have to do is take 280 until it turns into 680) but seriously, an hour trip is more than worth it to try on thousands of dollars and years worth of gear.

Edit: And to chime in on the whole Simmons stuff: First, let me say that I'm the first person to download tv shows/movies/songs/games/find any way to skimp on paying for poo poo that I probably should be purchasing. Anyways, I recently (well, like ~6 months ago) had all my poo poo stolen and had to buy everything new again, I could have gone the Simmons route and probably saved $1,000 but didn't; when other major companies refuse to do business with another well known/popular broker of goods I'm going to take note and be willing to pay more for better craftsmanship, durability, and frankly, intellectual integrity of their goods rather than the ripoff. That said, I do still buy sticks from them because I haven't found any place better! To each their own I suppose, but I have no respect for them as anything but stick-sellers, so I'll be damned if I'm going to support their shady practices.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 12, 2010

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

Words about Simmons.

All my new Vaughn stuff was made in Canada.

Also, if I could find somewhere - anywhere - to buy the same sticks I do from Simmons, I would, even if it cost me a little more, but I can't so I still purchase from them out of need rather than a want to save a few bucks. Also, I'm able to assuage my guilt slightly by the fact that the sticks they sell aren't just ripoffs (not that sticks have nearly the production/research time that goes into pads and the like).

Edit: Thought about this a while back but didn't remember to come back and write it out. The example you gave of the Ford dealership selling Chevy cars was really quite terrible - Ford/Chevy don't just rip each other off. If Simmons designed and made their own pads without stealing/recreating the designs from companies like Vaughn and Reebok I highly doubt those companies would refuse to deal with Simmons.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 13, 2010

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Alas, in the SF Bay Area and Santa Barbara area there's not a huge glut of places that sell a big variety of sticks. I don't know about Play It Again in the bay area, but in the SB area the Play It Again's don't even buy hockey gear for the most part and I bet it's somewhat similar up here.

And for whatever it's worth, I don't like the $100+ composite sticks, I much prefer the wood/fiberglass/foam core sticks and unfortunately the places that do have sticks tend to be trending more towards the composites :\.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Hard to really say without seeing it in person but....

Goalie pants will help, yes. Also, something to keep in mind is that a huge wide butterfly isn't usually the best save option. Focus more on keeping your knees (and in turn, thighs) together so nothing squirts through your 5-hole. If you can manage to keep your 5-hole closed, legs flared wide, and maintain mobility (or at least the ability to recover/move quickly), by all means, make it as wide as possible - it's not however, the end all be all for most shots.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

gigabitnokie posted:

While we're on the subject of putting on pads, how exactly should I be handling my thigh boards? Should they be going over or under my pants? Either way I try it seems like once in every few butterflies* my pants will end up stuck... "on top" of them? Like one of the top corners of the thigh board will be outside my pants, with the other on the inside, and I have to shake it loose.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

(edit) *After getting UP from the butterfly, there's no issue going down or I would have had this sorted way sooner!

They should go over your pads but yes it's very common for thigh boards to get stuck on pants. It's not that big of an issue to just knock them loose with your glove though and it becomes second nature after a certain point.

That said, I used to have thighboards on my V2's and once those got stolen I replaced them with a pair of 7700's that came with kneepads and I much prefer the kneepads.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 24, 2010

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I'm not exactly sure what you're describing but you should pretty much always put your the paddle/blade of your stick in front of your glove if you cover it on the ice. If nothing else it prevents people from poking the puck loose.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

ManicJason posted:

No, if the puck's moving toward you at all your paddle needs to be behind your catcher.

True. I guess "pretty much always" is an overstatement. I was referring more to when a puck hits you and drops to the ice and/or you have to gather it into yourself.

Edit: coldwind, how long have you had the glove? I know sometimes new gloves that aren't broken in much don't open as much as they should, which might not allow it to sit (as) flush along the ice as it should.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 25, 2010

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I need new skates soon. Like real soon. I'm down to maybe a dozen or so sharpenings left on one skate. Oddly enough, the other skate has plenty of life. I think the guy who did my skates in Tampa was dumb and had to re-do one skate over and over a bunch of times.

Anyway, that's like a few hundred bucks I don't actually have, so I might be done for a while soon until I can scrap some money together. That or I just try to craigslist a really crappy cheap pair. My feet are certainly NOT going to be happy with me :(

I'm never buying a new pair of skates that doesn't have replaceable blades again. Even cowlings are expensive. I wonder if I can get a crappy pair of skates, take the cowlings off and put them on my relatively nice and comfortable KoHo 580s

Unless you find another pair of Koho 580's that's probably not going to work... or if it does, it's going to be a really weird and awkward fit with the boot and cowling. Why don't you just try and replace the cowlings on the ones you have? I know Koho is kind of out of business (but you can still buy pads like the 580's or something? I don't know) but have you tried calling around to goaliemonkey and other big places and seeing if they might be able to call CCM or whoever and figure something out?

Also, can't say enough about the RBK #K series. I have 9K's and while they weren't cheap they're really nice... my only complaint is that I don't seem to get the same power I did with my Bauer 7000's since there's less blade to push with - though part, if not most/all, of that is probably me. I used to have to wear massive foam donuts around my ankles since my old Graf's gave me really painful pressure points that the Bauer's didn't relieve but it's never been an issue with the RBK's with their pump (and really, I don't even have to use that and I still don't have to worry about the pressure points).

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
When I'm playing as much as I like (3-4 times a week with AAA players or better, for the most part) I probably go through them once a month or so and I'm using this stick. But then again I'm real picky with my sticks and once they start to crack or the stiffness comes out of them I replace them so I rarely use them to the point they break.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Heh, I remember that Turco series. It was the year after he flamed out of the playoffs in miraculous fashion (not for the first time) and was labeled a playoff choker. He came in, played out of his loving mind but his team was so offensively inept that anytime he couldn't post a shutout they lost, it was actually really really sad to watch that effort go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I can't imagine any game situation where a goalie would atcually need to crossover. Maybe that's just me though.

Coming out of your net quickly to play a puck that was rimmed hard around the boards. (edit: but people beat me to the punch on this)

Anyways, practicing crossovers to get better at crossovers isn't really the point though, it's to work on quickness, agility, and pad control. Duckwalks and Worms don't serve any in-game purpose either, but they're a great thing to practice because the things they make you work on are used all the time during a game.

• Locked thread