Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
I have a thing with my defensemen that's pretty easy to learn.

I don't care if you're a puckhandler or a stay at home, just keep your positioning well and stand up your man (don't be a moving screen, fags), don't let your guy inside on you, and don't let him go outside-in on you. On a 2 on 1, play the pass and make sure the shooter doesn't cut back, let me handle the rest. On the power play, force guys outside and keep cross-ice passes down and let them hammer all day from outside. In general, if I am screened I will yell "SIGHT" and you should try and get inside of the puck so I can see, if I am not screened but trying to get the shooter to take a weak, lovely, low percentage shot, I will yell "SCREEN," ignore this and continue what you are doing.

PS I think right now Grims will take the mask until his comes back from the painter and then send it on to player-helmet dude. hit me with your addy so I can send 'er on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Guy with the LCL problem, a whole lot of ligament issues can be solved by strengthening your hamstrings and stabilizers. Even still, I play in two pretty nice, thin knee braces underneath everything. Small metal supports. Not completely necessary but they give me peace of mind.

My hockey penalty and hitting people career in the past 3 years:
- hacking one of the best roller players in the country during a power play and realizing the ankle i'm hacking is prosthetic. no penalty!
- gut trapping and taking a stick to the gut, getting up, going after the guy and slashing him in the throat
- tearing some poor shmuck's helmet off to blocker punch him in the face after we got tangled up. no penalty!
- some sheepfucker from umaine was making fun of me from the bench so instead of letting it get to me, i got his number and clotheslined him next time he tried to come through my crease on a forecheck. no penalty!
- kid from vermont got me to bite on a deke on a breakaway, so i dove to cover the post with my glove hand and swept my stick hand as high as i could; caught him in on the back, he missed, and that looked like it hurt. no penalty!
- taking a kid's stick out of his hand and tossing it because i was annoyed with his concept of a crease
- 3rd man in
- hextall-chopping some guy because he tried to bat in a puck in the air, missed, and pretty much hit me square in the head
- grabbing some guy's leg after the whistle and dumping him on his face after he ran me. no penalty!

how i have never been suspended in my hockey career is completely and utterly beyond me

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

PenguinManAmato posted:

how i have never been suspended in my hockey career is completely and utterly beyond me

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA JINXED

trip report: refs are fags, so are the fags in suny albany, because they are fags

game 1: 4-3 win over suny binghamton, 24 saves on 27 shots, goalie duel through and through, except i pulled some saves out of my bum. yay.

all star game: let in 3 goals out of 16 or so scored on my team; made sick two pad stack save. crowd cheered when i showed them all the puck in my glove and skated around the boards

game 2: down 2-1 to albany on something like 31 shots, 2 on 1 comes in, guy decides to flatten me in my crease, shot goes into open net, ref signals goal. i am furious, get up, scream stream of expletives at ref while sprinting towards him, forget to stop (ie. i forgot i wasn't on ice), and run into him. 2 min minor + match misconduct + 1 game suspension. gently caress you ref, you're still a fag

game 3: second goalie lets in one softie and is generally untested. gently caress everything.

game 4: we play division rivals suny brockport, i let in one goal on a PP on 26 shots, we score 7 on 28. fuuuuck every last one of you

shot total: something like 84
goal total: 7

with hate,

P
M
A

ps. guys near buffalo, if you ever get a chance to see the UB Wings play, go watch joe malinowski play forward, he has the best hands I've ever seen, it's loving ridiculous

pps. what i really mean by refs are fags is that i am, in fact, retarded and stupid and can't skate; however i still say that getting run prior to a shot in my crease should probably not be a goal

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 4, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

crusader donkey posted:

Jesus.

soggybagel posted:

Penguin you're a huge rear end in a top hat.
See, here's the key: it's usually calculated. I used to hack and slash a lot more the first year in the league, primarily because I was getting no help from my team and I was a hothead. After a while, I pretty much stopped anything except for the occasional outburst when I felt it would help the team. Having a rep as a guy who is going to hurt you either by stoning you all day (since you're getting no traffic) or by causing pain if you try and generate that traffic or get in close, I buy myself another 3-5" of telescope at all times and that's loving essential. Plus, if you get real hotheads, you get this:

AcCeL posted:

Yeah no kidding, I'd purposely start wiring slapshots at your head after that stuff.
Fine by me palsy, I'm tall and I have one of the best masks in the world. If you're hitting me in the head, you aren't hitting the net, and that means we're probably gaining possession and since roller is a possession game, I will win the game and have the last laugh.

There's a game within every game, you just have to learn how to approach it.

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 4, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Aniki posted:

Here are some images of me in my gear as well my stance and butterfly.

Stance. Notice how I'm cheating towards the trapper side? Yeah, I need to fix that.

Close shot of my butterfly. It looks like my trapper is way too high.

For some reason I seem to have adopted the screen stance at all times. :( I also noticed that I'm bending more with my back than hips, which isn't good and considering that I'm 5'7, I need to be more upright for that shot.

bigger issue: why are your skates facing outward in your stance? i was always taught to slightly pigeon-toe. this makes sense from a butterfly push perspective (less so from a t-push, but that's for when time isn't of the essence as is), so i'd do that. also, yeah, your bend should be spread between knees and back (think of it as a wall-sit with a slight forward cant). as you drive your knees (which are coiled and therefore ready to explode), your torso should "uncoil" into the space you were in as your knees fill the five hole.

edit: here's a better pic for vertical positioning ideas:

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 5, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
glove goes over the pad not to the side; also, stick is either covering the five hole or guarding the pass (parallel to goal line). other than that, the general idea is ok, just be ready to push out into your full stance OR across in a slide.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I eventually picked up on the "glove on the outside", I'm still pretty bad with my stick. Sliding across comes naturally to me, though I'm still a little weak on my glove positioning when I do so. I'm pretty sure this was taken midway across my slide cause I'm just finishing the push. Stick is chilling out doing nothing, and my glove is just as useless. Though that may just be a mid-slide thing, I have no idea.

Here's my take on post guard movements and stick positioning:

On the left (glove hand) post, you should only be going into that half-butterfly mechanic pre-shot if:
1) the guy is behind the net
2) the only viable passing options are to your left below the dot
3) the guy is skating towards the net

reasoning: most of the time, you're better off staying in a variant of your stance and driving the pad down if the guy does choose to try and cut out in front. at the same time, on the right post, i hardly ever use that mechanic unless i'm attempting a sweep check.

speaking of which, let's talk a little about stick positioning on post work!

if you're in one of those half pad mechanics, you're probably well served by either putting the paddle down (when on the left post) or, if keeping it upright, keeping the stick ready to get into the passing lane. on the right, i like to either sweep check a couple times at the beginning of the game (more for effect than effectiveness, after that if the guy is coming around and is asleep i'll do it, the main idea is to get him away from the side of the net) or hang the stick. the fewer passes that get into the slot the more likely you are to win.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

blasphemy
i think it's because i suck but i can't move for poo poo in sneakers :(

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Meh, its all personal preference I guess. Granted, it wasn't insanely competitive or anything, but there was actually only one regular goalie who wore skates in that league I played in. Like I said, with the painted cement, on skates, I just didnt' feel like I could get the same movement.

EDIT: And I should say, it was more the lateral movement, and other various moves. forward and backward were obviously no problem, but doing things you want to do on a surface that will let you slide a bit (like a sport court or ice) just don't work on cement.
I guess; I started playing inline on smooth cement (drained ice rink) and honestly i got a ton of slide once I figured out how to slide on my cowling and not on my pad. I also learned that wheel selection is crucial for surface, as the wheels i love for sport court (rink rat crossbars) are awful on concrete.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

crusader donkey posted:

Jesus, if I had pictures of my technique I wouldn't post them because it would get completely torn apart. I rely way too much on reflexes/athleticism.
i missed this earlier, but if you guys think i'm being too harsh or what have you please let me know. i'm not that good but i know that starting with a solid mechanical basis will make life much easier in the long run. i have pretty good reflexes but the fact of the matter is that 95% of my saves are made simply because i have a good stance, play the angle and telescope properly for the situation, and i'm also big enough that i can get by just doing those two things.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, actually I remember the photo I posted because I cropped it out of a much bigger one a long time ago. Not pictured are my defense (don't worry, there were nowhere to be seen in the original either), the guy with the puck over in the direction I'm looking, and a guy sitting right on my back door. I figured I'd have the best chance to avoid anything by being ready to slide across (remember that in my league the chance of someone lifting a puck is slim).

See, I used to think this way for a while, then i started thinking it out a bit more.

I'll assume I'm on ice, since the mechanic changes completely based on surface.

The guy is in the corner, behind the line, skating towards the net with a back door option (let's say option 3 is below/at the dot, option 4 hypothetically the strong side defenseman at the boards/top of circle, and option 5 the mid slot). Note that these optionsLet's analyse our options based on mechanic.

Traditional two pad post hug (eg pads are vertical, stick in front): stick has room to be active but not a lot. If the guy walks out, you can t-push with him but it's not a great option. If there's a defenseman planted in the slot, it's a decent mechanic since there should be absolutely nothing to shoot at. Rebound control is tough in this position. If the pass gets through your active stickwork to the backdoor (which it shouldn't, as this is a great stance for using the stick to your advantage by choking down or using as is), you are screwed. If the pass goes to option 3 at the near dot, you can move the weakside foot out into a traditional stance fairly easily but there is a transition time, and if the guy starts skating towards the slot (or passes to the slot) you're going to be behind. If the pass goes to the top of the circle, you have time, so it doesn't really matter. If the pass goes to the mid slot, you can throw a quick t-push (this is the best stance to execute a t push from) and get square in a hurry.
Scorecard:it's mediocre for option 1, decent for option 2, mediocre for option 3, good for option 4, and good for option 5.

Single pad down mechanic (what you're doing): Guy walks out, you can put the paddle down and if he keeps walking, you can follow him across the crease. Pass to the backdoor is hampered since the correct mechanic requires that you have your blocker pretty low and in close to your body, so you aren't going to get a lot of extension on the blade or paddle to stop that puck. If it gets through, you have a pretty good chance of going across and stopping it. Rebound control is good for both situations, although since you aren't square for the guy cutting across, it can sometimes dribble to the backdoor. Pass to the dot, your weak leg will have to recover as you push with the up leg to get square; this is one of the harder skating movements to do right, so if you aren't a good skater, this can be a problem. Pass to the top doesn't really matter, you have time. Option 5 is a pretty big problem in that you're pretty much committed to a butterfly save since otherwise you'd have to recover to your feet, rotate to square, push over to the correct angle, and wait for the shot. Also, since you're butterflying pretty deep, if that pass gets through, you are pretty much at the mercy of the guy shooting it.
Scorecard: superior for option 1, decent for option 2, great for option 3, good for option 4, very poor for option 5.

Lean mechanic: this is something I use for roller hockey since you can't really slide once the pad is in contact with the rink. I adapted it slightly to work with ice and for some situations, like this one, I consider it to be the best available option. I've seen a bunch of other goalies use it as well, although the specifics vary slightly. Here's how you execute it, glove side, in a non game situation: get on the goal line square to center. scoot over to the left post. your left skate should be touching the post and be perpendicular to the goal line. Now, get into your usual stance, with your usual knee bend and everything. Ok, now, shift your upper body and weight over your left foot to the point that you are effectively leaning on the post. Your left leg should be pretty much vertical, and there's probably a nice little gap that someone could shoot a puck into between your rear end and your calf. Drop your glove hand there facing outwards. Your trail leg should be at about the middle of the crease, give or take depending on how wide your usual stance is. That skate should also be ever so slightly pointed outward (anti-pigeon-toe). Ok, you're now in what I call the "leaning hug" mechanic. What does this do?

If the guy decides to take a weird shot from no angle, there's nothing to hit. Your stick is free to cut off a TON of passes. If the guy tries to cut into the middle from behind, you drive into the old one pad, paddle down post mechanic, with the added benefit that by having the foot slightly anti-pigeon toed, you can make a slight c-cut to immediately swing the trail leg around while you drive the knee down, making you square to the shot and effectively keeping any rebounds in front of you. Whether this is better than already being down is entirely dependent on how good you are at reading the play, the mechanics of how you go down, and how fast you are, so I'd rate it as slightly less effective for option 1. The pass to the backdoor should never get over using this mechanic, but if it does, you just push across, so it's marginally more effective for option 2. Option 3, you swing that trail leg out to get square, so it's already more effective. Option 4, you're already effectively in your stance by swinging the trail foot and centering your weight, so it's more effective. Option 5, which is the real killer in ice and roller, is solved by t-pushing (since the trail foot is already anti-pigeon toed) to get depth and stopping on that trail foot (now the lead foot) to allow you to square up for the shot, which is much, much more effective.
Scorecard: slightly worse for option 1 (if your mechanics are good, it's better), slightly better for option 2 (if you can read plays and are good with your stick, it's much better), marginally better for 3 and 4, and extremely better for option 5.

conclusion: Jesus christ, this post is a loving tome and I hate myself for spending 10 minutes on it, but it's just an example of how something kind of dumb (the positioning of a trail foot and knee) can make a load of difference

picture added:

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 5, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
it's actually pretty easy to play with large thigh rises; that having been said mine aren't ridiculous but it helps that i have a wide stance and that i'm 6'2

e. grimes i'll try and get the mask out tomorrow or weds since my week is loving awful

PenguinManAmato fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 5, 2008

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Martytoof posted:

Those are pretty snazzy, but is there any point to the knee breaks if your medial roll isn't broken up too?

Just curious cause they still look cool :toot:
It works fine, the bottom of the pad bends more than the top is all.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Those pads are pretty awesome, Internet Victory!

Technical question: I've been having a really hard time tracking curving pucks or pucks that knuckle. It's cost me a great deal. Any ideas for improving on those shots?

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
sup fuckers

Deer_fire posted:

What I want to know is will playing goalie in roller with my ice pads (specifically my Velocity leg pads) tear them up or will it not matter? It's a sport court type thing so it's not like I'd be playing on gravel. Also, what are some of the differences playing goalie in roller compared to ice? I'm going to go ahead and say you can't butterfly slide, but what about stuff like shuffling and other things like that?

i used to use unmodified Velos on sport court my first year in my college league, they work just fine and the wear rate is less than ice since they aren't getting soaked. issues i had with them were that you can't slide for poo poo once the leather hits the sport flooring. martytoof's recommendation of my mods to my current pads is a good idea, there's a mirror here: http://www.goalieboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5008&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

issues you're gonna have: assuming you have skates with wheels that aren't complete poo poo, you can't really shuffle. you have to physically pick the lead foot up a tiny fraction and step over. there's a lot more t-pushing in roller because of this. there's no backside recoveries in roller, so rebound control and shot reading is crucial. you can do butterfly slides in roller but you actually slide on the cowling of the skate, not the inner surface of the pad. it's different enough to require some work to learn.

suggestion: use all your normal gear, buy a pair of tour redlines, and see if you like it; if you do, immediately take the terrible lovely-rear end wheels (oddly enough, they're the best wheels a stock goalie skate comes with nowadays, go figure), throw them the gently caress away, and purchase a set of rink rat crossbars. if you purchase a set of floating spacers as well as another set of bearings that aren't complete poo poo, you'll be extra happy with yourself.

polish, i'm trying this new thing where i don't act like a complete rear end in a top hat to people so i'll politely recommend that you strongly reconsider purchasing that mask. if you're starting out from zero gear and spending more on any single piece of gear than on your mask, then you need to seriously rethink your acquisition process.

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
When I first started out I was wearing a $125 Olie 9900 mask. I bought it because it was a mask and I didn't want to spend a lot of money and it looked perfectly capable of being a good mask. After all, it had certification stickers!

I had been wearing it for about 3 months playing in the PE hockey class at school when I was racing to a puck to clear it away from a forward who was racing for it and when we both lunged at the puck, the guy put his elbow up and proceeded to basically elbow and drive my head straight to the ice. The mask itself flexed and bent so my basically my head took the full brunt of the collision and the hitting the ice. I went out cold and had a very bad grade 2 concussion. I wasn't allowed to play for another 2 months, I did very poorly that semester because I couldn't remember things or concentrate, and I've since received another grade 2 concussion and three grade 1 concussions over the past three years from pretty innocuous events (although with a Vaughn VM5500 mask for all 4). Had I been wearing a decent, suitable helmet from the beginning it's very likely I wouldn't have had anywhere near the concussion problems I've had stemming from the initial event. It's not like doing that was cost efficient, as I now wear a mask that is over-padded and over-strengthened so that I can keep playing without needing to worry every time I step on the rink that the next impact will be the last time I play hockey, and it wasn't cheap.

I received this concussion wearing a $125 mask while wearing $500 Velocities. This was, as they say, really loving stupid. Nobody should make the same mistake I did.

This isn't to say that everyone should go out and wear some $1000 piece. That said, there are plenty of very good masks sitting at around the $300 range, and unlike, say, your legs, a puck or a collision isn't going to turn you into a vegetable. Same reason I feel strongly about everyone wearing collars to protect principally against slashes and skates and also against blunt trauma. The one piece of equipment in your bag that should at least be collegiate or junior level regardless of the talent level you play at is your mask. There are a ton of very good choices in the $275 to $350 area, each one catering to a slightly different head shape and chin drop. Try some on. See which ones fit you well.

I know a lot of you write me off as some know-it-all rear end in a top hat and you're probably all right, so as a rule I don't care whether you take my advice or not. This is the exception. Please, please, PLEASE don't make the same loving stupid mistake I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinManAmato
Nov 18, 2004

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Anyone who wants/needs pads or gloves and doesn't mind them being old spec:

Pure Hockey in Marlboro MA is blowing out some of their older stock that is 12" wide at ludicrous prices. I counted about 20 pairs of pads from 32" through 37", and about 30 gloves. There's a pair of Missions in my size that used to be about $750 that they are selling for $100 (I'm torn on whether to buy them and use them for tennis-court hockey), Epics are $300, Bionics are $250, and so forth. Really, the prices are insanely low. I am going to go up to their store in NH as well and see if they are doing similar things, and I'll probably go back to Marlboro later this week. I highly recommend you call them up and ask if they'd ship them to you, because a) I bet they would, and b) cheap new gear is supa-sweet. Barring that, if anyone really wants me to, I'll go back and look for something specifically in your size and we can work out some paypal system or something. Trick is that it has to be by next Saturday since I'm going back to school (just give me my loving masters already fuckers) after.

• Locked thread