Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
As far as I can tell we haven't had one of these threads in a while, so why not.

I'll just get this one out of the way because this one inevitably crops up in threads like these: Where does one begin with Frank Zappa?

Basically i'm familiar with the Best Of... material, and have given Apostrophe (') a jolly good listen. The latter, I like alot, but seeing as it's very there's a million different pathways to go down when it comes to Zappa, i'm stuck wondering where to go next. Joe's Garage looks appealing to me at the moment but i'm a bit cautious of the whole concept album format. It's just all so daunting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I'm not too much of a Zappa obsessive, but I have his Zappa in New York CD and it has a whole bunch of cool tunes on it.

Edit: I have Joe's Garage and it is a quality album. A bit strange though, but if you're going to take one of Zappa's pathways, it may as well be his comedy-inside-an-LP path.

Where should I start with Bjork?

adeadcrab fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 3, 2008

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
With Björk you can start with her Greatest Hits, or Homogenic. While I think Vespertine is her best work, Homogenic is probably her most complete one.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I want to check out Coil.

The only song I've heard is Teenage Lightning, which is pretty neat. Is that album (Ape of Naples) a good place to start?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Chinaski posted:

The only song I've heard is Teenage Lightning, which is pretty neat. Is that album (Ape of Naples) a good place to start?

Ape of Naples is great but pretty loose and druggy. I'd recommend Horse Rotorvator and Love's Secret Domain before it, they're not exactly "catchy" but more immediately accessible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Joe's Garage is a really polarizing album, and that's largely because there are huge swaths of it that really suck. If you already have Apostrophe ('), pick up Over-Nite Sensation, Bongo Fury and Hot Rats to get an overview of his different styles.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Chinaski posted:

If you liked Teenage Lightning, which is one of the best songs on there, I would suggest you check out Ape of Naples yeah. Like the other guy said it is sort of loose, but I think it's an amazing album.

You should also check out the albums he recommended as well; I think Love's Secret Domain is probably the best place to start out of all their albums - the song Snow is awesome. After that go for Horse Rotorvator which gives you a pretty good look at how they sounded before LSD (see what they did there), and then probably Musick to Play in the Dark 1, which gives you a glimpse at what they were like between LSD and Ape of Naples.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Where should I go with Modest Mouse? I own TLCW and We Were Dead already.

Where should I start with Outkast? My Outkast knowledge goes as far as Ms. Jackson, BOB and Hey Ya.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Where should I go from "Stonehenge" with Ruins?

"Lather" is a really weird album but I think it's a good enough place as any to start with Zappa because of its vastness (In fact, the previously recommended "Zappa in New York" was one of the four albums that Lather was split into by Warner Bros., the other three being "Sleep Dirt", "Studio Tan" and "Orchestral Favorites"); "Uncle Meat" is good for the same reasons. My first Zappa album was actually "Bongo Fury". I'm still not sure if it's good as a launching point, but it's definitely a solid album (topped off with Zappa's buttered-up guitar playing in Muffin Man) and even Beefheart's tracks will grow on you after a while.

sixshooter
Jan 31, 2008
itch relief

trans fat posted:

Moon & Antarctica, and A Long Drive for Some One With Nothing To Think About

tokz
Sep 26, 2005
BANKOROK SANTAK ULYAOTH

trans fat posted:

Where should I start with Outkast? My Outkast knowledge goes as far as Ms. Jackson, BOB and Hey Ya.

Modest Mouse: Definitely The Moon and Antarctica.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

trans fat posted:

Stankonia then Aquemini then ATLiens then Speakerboxxx/Love Below then Southernplaya then completely ignore Idlewild and pretend the last thing they released was in 2003.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

trans fat posted:

For Outkast I'd recommend Aquemini as a start because that album is awesome, and then go for ATLiens. They're all incredible albums. You might want to give Speakerboxxx/The Love Below a shot. Their first album is great too but I don't know how it's aged because I've been listening to it for so long.

Overall:

Aquemini
ATLiens
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Stankonia

Thanks Technetium and HAI for the Coil recommendations. I think I'll go for Love's Secret Domain first.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Whats a good order for Of Montreal?

thanks

moosey
Apr 23, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Where do I start with:

John Prine?

The Doors?

The Yardbirds?

The Pixies?

Elvis Presley?

Hank Williams?

Dr. Disdain
Nov 30, 2006

Rule breakers will be shot

Ridonkulous posted:

thanks

Their latest, Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer is probably your best bet (though some might disagree with me), then work backwards

moosey posted:

The Doors?

The Pixies?

For the Doors, I would probably say start with one or more of The Doors, Morrison Hotel and LA Woman, and for the Pixies, the standard starting points are Surfer Rosa and Doolittle

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The Melvins have about a billion albums. Which one should I start with?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Dr. Disdain posted:

Their latest, Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer is probably your best bet (though some might disagree with me), then work backwards

Hissing Fauna is great, but it's not really indicative of their earlier work - at times, it sounds like a completely different band. They started out much weirder and poppier, so I'd suggest either Satanic Panic in the Attic or The Gay Parade if you want to hear what most of their discography sounds like.

Where should I go with Blonde Redhead? I absolutely adore 23 but I'm not sure what else to get.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Chamberk posted:

Where should I go with Blonde Redhead? I absolutely adore 23 but I'm not sure what else to get.

I think 23 is actually quite disappointing compared to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons (their best, imo) and Misery Is a Butterfly. So yeah, either of those. Their earlier stuff is kinda hit or miss.

dflanny posted:

Houdini for sure.

Sewer Shark
Jul 5, 2007

SHOOT THE TUBES, DOG MEAT!
What should I do with The Fall? I have Live at the Witch Trials and liked it but I took a look at their discography and when I saw that they're still going strong I didn't know where to go next.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Ridonkulous posted:

thanks
I think you should start with Sunlandic Twins, move to Hissing Fauna, hit the Gay Parade, then Coquelicot in the Poppies and then Satanic Panic in the Attic.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

vac posted:

Where should I go from "Stonehenge" with Ruins?

I would get Symphonica, Pallaschtom, and Vrresto. Note that Symphonica has a larger lineup, with keyboards and two female vocalists added (very similar to Tatsuya Yoshida's other project Koenjihyakkei). Which, by the way, you should also check out if you already haven't, along with Korekyojin and Yoshida's work with pianist Satoko Fujii (Erans album in particular), which is just as spastic.

Octavio
Nov 16, 2007

He doesn't even want the pancake, Little Blue Couch. ~~!!!
Rush, Yes and King Crimson are three bands I've wanted to get into for a while. I've heard Tom Sawyer by Rush, I've seen all good people by Yes and 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph by King Crimson. I like all of them =).

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Sewer Shark posted:

What should I do with The Fall? I have Live at the Witch Trials and liked it but I took a look at their discography and when I saw that they're still going strong I didn't know where to go next.

You can't go wrong with the albums from the 80's, but I'd say Hex Enducation Hour would be the best place to start. Then get This Nation's Saving Grace .

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Where do I start with...

Classical music?

Some good Fitzgerald scat? I have some on a tape in my car, but that's it. Or for that matter, any good scat.

Dub? I've heard the Skatalites thing for Studio One, and I rather like that.

Something glitchcore? Like, VSnares but more broken... I think that exists.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

Octavio posted:

Rush, Yes and King Crimson are three bands I've wanted to get into for a while. I've heard Tom Sawyer by Rush, I've seen all good people by Yes and 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph by King Crimson. I like all of them =).

Even though I don't care that much about them I'd say Moving Pictures is a good starting place for Rush.

King Crimson's output splits into several considerably different eras. The songs you heard are from the classic debut In the Court of the Crimson King, so by all means start there. Red is an excellent hard rocking album from the 70s and Discipline is clearly the best studio album of the new-wavey 80s output (but the live Absent Lovers is stunning).

Yes' best, in my opinion, is Close to the Edge. The two former albums -- Fragile and The Yes Album have shorter songs and hence may be more "beginner-friendly".

Willie The Disk posted:

Classical music?

You'll really have to narrow this one down. Is there a particular composition, instrumentation or style you know you like?

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay
Mmm, I like what I've heard of Vivaldi and Chopin... usually listen to the latter while studying. And I like Requiem by Mozart, but I should listen to it more. I have a bunch of Bach and Beethoven, but have no clue where to start. I also hear Stravinsky's worth looking into... I think he was revered both by Frank Zappa and Tom Waits.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Willie The Disk posted:

Something glitchcore? Like, VSnares but more broken... I think that exists.

Well you're probably looking at Aphex Twin. Drukqs is particularly glitchy.

More tunefully glitchy is the underrated Claro by Brothomstates.

Lasek
Apr 22, 2006
Elliot Smith. I've never listened to a single song by him but I've also never heard anyone talk bad about him, so I'd love to start listening.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

What about Fugazi? It's one of those bands I always hear talked about, and everyone I know of who is into them is REALLY into them.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Emmitt Nervend posted:

What about Fugazi? It's one of those bands I always hear talked about, and everyone I know of who is into them is REALLY into them.

13 Songs and Repeater would probably be your best bet and are the two that got me into Fugazi as well. Those two albums have most of the familiar songs and are both great albums. And once you've gotten a feel for their sound, give the soundtrack to Instrument a listen to hear how diverse they are able to sound.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

dflanny posted:

If you just like their faster, punkier stuff, you need Houdini, Stoner Witch, and (a) Senile Animal, and possibly Ozma.

If you prefer the drone stuff, get Lysol or Bullhead.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I've been wanting to listen to The Cocteau Twins for awhile now but their discography is kind of daunting. Where to start?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Willie The Disk posted:

Mmm, I like what I've heard of Vivaldi and Chopin... usually listen to the latter while studying. And I like Requiem by Mozart, but I should listen to it more. I have a bunch of Bach and Beethoven, but have no clue where to start. I also hear Stravinsky's worth looking into... I think he was revered both by Frank Zappa and Tom Waits.

To be fair, you have to consider the fact that you just asked a question similar to "I'm thinking of getting into rock music, what do you recommend?"

Classical is such a varied and in some ways nebulous genre that you'll have to really just pick a certain style or composer and throw yourself in and hope you like it.

At least, in my experience.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

cryme posted:

If you just like their faster, punkier stuff, you need Houdini, Stoner Witch, and (a) Senile Animal, and possibly Ozma.

If you prefer the drone stuff, get Lysol or Bullhead.

Thanks! Will do.

Anyone know a good place to begin with Einsturzende Neubauten?

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

Lasek posted:

Elliott Smith. I've never listened to a single song by him but I've also never heard anyone talk bad about him, so I'd love to start listening.

Either/Or is probably the best summary of his sound. It's his last indie-label album before getting picked up by Dreamworks. From there, you could check out XO and Figure 8 if you want to hear more Beatles influence and more production value, or you could check out Elliott Smith and New Moon if you like the mellower, more lo-fi side. But really, any album is a good choice.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

dflanny posted:

Anyone know a good place to begin with Einsturzende Neubauten?

I did it with the Strategies Against Architechture compilations. Very much recommended.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
I got Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" after hearing constant amazing things and it did not dissapoint. However, Davis' discography is longer than many papers I've written so I have no idea where to go next. Tips?

I also heard Kruder & Dorfmeister's "The K&D Sessions" which I liked a lot. What else should I listen to? On a similar note, Thievery Corporation. Where to begin?

I also bought Goldie's "Saturnz Return" on a whim and am kinda indifferent towards it. Is there another album that will blow me away or be more indicative of his sound or do I just not "get" it?

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 5, 2008

agro_cragg
Dec 9, 2006
Time travel to the edge of the Moon!
Where does one start with The Kinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Where should I start with Brian Eno's solo work? Or. Where should I continue to? I randomly got Ambient 1 and Another Green World after reading a quick overview of him and enjoyed both of them.